• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Time for my obligatory support awesome maker posts. This will be amazing for yall come update time.

I'll just post the few I have on hand. To people complaining about no traditional levels or everything being shit. Please support these amazing creators. I will add others when I get home.

Matilder: 485-X4Q-KXG
QuixoticN: KD8-8WM-9MG
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG
GokouD: 29V-SMD-4JF
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G
Simbabbad: V0V-RQV-S4G
Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG

Way back I also made a list of levels I liked from Era users and random Endless stuff.

Check it out

Edit: Other users who make impressive levels.

Ragingbegl: GFF-4D0-8RF
DivideBy0: 5J7-TRL-VKF
IceMarker: 82Y-DCM-1SF
Wijuci: 4DH-X8R-62G
TehLobster: QM6-G34-CXF
J-Spot: 4XR-JB1-PGF
GreenMamba: 008-11G-01G

Not Era members (as far as I know) but make great levels

Pinktops: JN4-6J7-N2G
Steve618: XD9-S6K-13G

I'm missing people too. Some of the people in this list are in the top 100 world wide. Just wildly impressive creators.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The Mario challenge exists even if it's in another form, how is story mode even comparable to costumes or the fly swatter game? And still asking for paid DLC for a game that gets free updates will never not be a stupid thing.

Splatoon 2 got a paid DLC update for Octo Expansion despite having lots of freebie updates. I don't see why MM2 couldn't have an octo-expansion like deal for the single player. And the reason I bring up the costumes is because clearing the mario challenge would unlock a costume for the mushroom: Thus, you'd have to do it a lot to get them all. You can't beat the endless challenge on the other hand, so there's barely anything to unlock outside of mii outfits, and those are fewer in comparison to the mushrooms. They hid some really cool ones in single player which was smart and kinda better to unlock than repetitive mario challenges.

That's why I personally find VS mode and the ranking system WAY more engaging than the Challenge at this point. Lots more frantic fun and it's the perfect pass and play experience. I'm very close to A rank at this point though so I'm worried I'll max out at S before too much longer, but it's an excellent addition they made. I just wish there was more besides that. Like Irman said, the ninji speedruns are a neat bonus but are very infrequent

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
zliE1M9.png

I'm worried there will be some dumb limitation, like you won't be able to find a specific world, it's just a section with random worlds that you can refresh for another set of random worlds.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I guess that will be what'll finally make me buy a switch... I was already interested when I saw that world were possible... But an entire game with 8 world? I'll be all over this.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SMB2 power up, Koopalings, and a World Map editor are all huge updates for me. Shocked how meaty this is. I don't even know what you could do for a SMM3 now. lol

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Maker 2 is just amazing. I never thought Nintendo would do so much with user created content. The game just keeps giving.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Mario challenge exists even if it's in another form, how is story mode even comparable to costumes or the fly swatter game? And still asking for paid DLC for a game that gets free updates will never not be a stupid thing.

The 4 million was LTD not sure if where to look of the number of December of 2015. Also like I said before it's all narrative there's not real concrete information.
I remembered it being 3.5M but it was actually 3.34M in that time frame.
www.ign.com

Wii U Sales Pass 12 Million, Amiibo Figure Sales Hit 20.5 Million - IGN

Nintendo's latest financials reveal amiibo figure and card sales numbers.

But still, that is 3.34 million copies in half the time it took MM2 to reach ~5 million. Not to mention its legs got cut short with the 3DS version releasing shortly after.

Unless we're a literal fly on the wall in Nintendo headquarters obviously no one can make the call definitively one way or the other, that wasn't the intention. The point is that it's not as if the beliefs are completely unsubstantiated. The amount of updates for MM2 pales in comparison to a lot of other big first party titles on Switch, let alone Mario Maker 1. It's my personal theory on the situation so if you disagree that's good for you, I just believe differently.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wonder what the future is for this franchise. They've added just about all they could to SMM2. If there ever will be a SMM3, the big new feature will have to be a 3D builder with 64, 3D World, etc, styles.

There is still plenty they could add to just these styles without even adding a 2d 64/smb2/2d galaxy style.

Missing power ups like the ice flower, penguin suit, hammer bro suit, blue/yellow yoshi, the babi yoshis from NSMBU

Missing enemies like chargin chuck, thwimp, shy guys, rex, torpedo tex, rip van rex

Missing course obstacles like weighted pulley platforms, diagonal pipes, big switches that permanently add blocks to levels, placable water/lava tiles

Further expanding the current enemy/item/object roster to work in all game styles like dash blocks (3dw exclusive), goomba shoe/stiletto (smb1/3 only), angry sun (not in 3d world), yoshi (smw/u only)

More characters with unique properties or the option for unique property characters. Peach playable with her float, Toad jumps worse but runs faster, Luigi runs slower but jumps higher, nabbit with his immunity to everything but pits

While a lot of the above isn't as flashy as a new gameplay style, they'd all go a long way to giving MM even more crazy variety then it already has.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
zliE1M9.png

I'm worried there will be some dumb limitation, like you won't be able to find a specific world, it's just a section with random worlds that you can refresh for another set of random worlds.
Hmm yeah, the lack of a search tab on this screen is definitely concerning.

Edit. Is that a search function being concealed in the upper right corner?

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, it was neat. I could make a level about Sonic and use a sprite. I get play as GCCX's Arino, how many other games allow that? Would Nintendo make a Nisekoi update these days?

It was just part of a weird, ballsy Nintendo of five years ago that I wished was more present here.
also introducing non Mario gameplay with link as a one off is weird

feel that had to be planned as a series of themed updates.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hmm yeah, the lack of a search tab on this screen is definitely concerning.

How would you actually search for worlds though? Outside of "here is the code to my worlds" obviously. Right now MM2 lets you search for levels based around game style, difficulty, and user assigned tags like auto or puzzle. I would assume most people's worlds will go through a variety of game styles and level types with stages that varied wildly in difficulty.

My hope would be when you search for a level and find one you want to play, if it's been assigned to a world you'll have the option of going into that world to play it and the other levels assigned to that world.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot process the volume of information I just saw.

I took up streaming Mario Maker this year (and indeed, I put my entire streaming setup together specifically for Mario Maker). I am not nearly out of stuff to learn and do just in the existing 2.0 patch, and I'm sitting on multiple unpublished levels that I haven't finished off with the existing toolset.

I am overwhelmed. Excited, but overwhelmed.

Look, you folks who dropped out of SMM1 by early 2016 have no idea how incredible it became by 2019 once the long-term community settled in. And you folks who drifted off SMM2 after a month, only to come back for Link, then drop out again—you have no idea how good it is this week, today. After hundreds of hours I'm learning new things about this game every week, faster than I'm able to translate those ideas into completed levels of my own.

Now I'm confident this game will keep me going for as long as I have a functional Switch and the network stays up—or failing that, Mario Maker 4. Because we just practically received Mario Maker 3.

And I'm just talking about the course elements here. Love the interactivity to the parts, especially all the additions to the perpetually underrated 3DW style. I'm not prolific enough to fill a world map, but some people have already made multi-world Mario games of their own and literally only need to make the map and plug their levels in. I always thought playlist management was the thing this game needed most (string a few challenges together, and assign a certain number of starting lives to make lives meaningful and carefully budgeted again) and I'll have to take a closer look at how well implemented this is. I'd hoped for worlds/playlists to cover collaborative projects from different users, and it looks as though we're not getting that, though I need to watch this again carefully.

Most of all I'm shocked by the turnaround time on this patch. I almost feel like this is too much, too soon—we're only 10 months in and toolkit content is already halting, and there's something profoundly sad about that—but there is so much to do with all the new elements that, as a player as well as a maker, I fully expect to be hit with new ideas for years.

By the way, for those of you planning to make some new levels this weekend: once the update drops I plan to stream some playtesting sessions on my channel that will be entirely dedicated to showing off the new parts. Stay tuned—SMM2 Era folks can attest that I tend to give this community an inside lane. (Although I'd also like to spend some time fooling around in the editor again, and lately I haven't had that at all.)

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Having skipped MM1 back on the Wii U, I was endlessly excited for the sequel. Then, when it finally released I... barely touched it outside of the single player. I jumped on a few times to play levels online, but the lack of a feeling of progression killed it for me. Here's hoping the World Maps help with that.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in here to say I don't really play SMM2, but this is INSANE. Absolutely hats off to Nintendo.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
really truly amazing update. The amount of value added is amazing.

There is ofc other things or crazy stuff they could have added like more Nintendo character costumes or the like but if you are fair the amount of fun they just added is just insane and free.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how interactive we'll be able to make the world map. As in, can you put a condition in a certain stage in order to find or do something, that if done, will open up a new secret path to a new level on the world map (similar to the Forest of Illusion in SMW)?

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be interested in a video hangout tonight to step through the trailer and talk about it in detail? I'm thinking of running this very shortly (as in, starting within the next 10-20 minutes).

Mar 9, 2018
So they censored the fact that Bowser is the KoopalingS' dad? I mean d*d. Lame.

But that's a good update. A worthy update.

Could use Birdo, Flurry (snow baby enemy from SMB2), Eagle Door, Wart. But that's damn good.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok the additions sound awesome and pretty game changing in multiple ways.
And I don't want to complain but....
Nintendo, are you SERIOUSLY not giving us a new theme, like, at all ever???!!!
We never got one right?
The game was ripe for new themes to be added over time or at least 1 or 2.
So to hear this is the final major update is a major bummer. The game has been out 10 months by the time they pull support for it and based on how much it has sold and how it's basically the perfect game to "keeping adding stuff to", this is a huge letdown. Nintendo can be awesome with support for their games, but more often than not they disappoint. Not trying to be unthankful as this update sounds incredible, but man...no new themes really hurts a lot.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played a Mario games in years but this looks too good, amazing

What's the catch?
Looks too perfect

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Sad they left out penguin suit again but damned if this ain't an enormous batch of amazing features!
Bullet bill masks and frog suit will add so much for me. And with world making its gonna get fun.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow final? Already? So the extra game modes thing is gonna be left with one option? Weird but this seems like a really cool update

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
... Final update? Man, what a waste

But if there was one feature I wish they'd add to the game, it was this, so good for them
Final major update so its possible for us to get small updates with like a course part or two cause smm1 had 4 major updates both of the two we got provided way more than those but they added small things to small updates too so here is hoping.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Are you freaking kidding me, Nintendo stealth drops this trailer and it's basically super Mario maker 3. This is a megaton announcement. Holy shit the world builder is what I was wanting all along.

Only thing else I wanted was to have super Mario 3 bowser mechanics so we could rebuild the final level with bowser jumping and crushing bricks. So cool you can make your own full super Mario game now. The game is going to seem so much more complete when playing really good builders levels since they will flow together

Oct 25, 2017

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Final major update so its possible for us to get small updates with like a course part or two cause smm1 had 4 major updates both of the two we got provided way more than those but they added small things to small updates too so here is hoping.
Still hoping for at least one more game style.

But considering how 3D World style turned out, maybe not

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FINAL!? D:

It's meaty as hell, though.

The bullet bill mask reminds me of this Smash Bros. Wii U mod.

5a5c4d065663d.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While this is all super amazing, why is Phanto locked to SMB style? I get that's where the SMB2 power-up is, but Phanto has no real reason to be locked to one style when keys are universal.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already planning my world(s), and I know just which levels to string together. This gonna be sweeeeeet

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
www.mariowiki.com

Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker is a 2D platforming and level creation game for the Wii U. It is the eighteenth entry in the Super Mario series. It allows players to design and share their own 2D Super Mario courses, alongside viewing and playing courses made by...

SMM1 had only four substantial updates that weren't just "adjustments for a more pleasant gaming experience".

And those four updates were not as substantial as these are at the very least we should get another bookmark site though