• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I am not the dev and I don't have all the info that they do in fairness but that sounds like total horse shit. How could it break gameplay? And don't give me that excuse about it focusing on juggling, there's a lot of ways around that.
Yeah, I'm curious about how it'll break the gameplay as well. It must be a design thing or something.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

I think it's a unfair misrepresentation for folks to continuously tout a games with a hand drawn sprite style along the lines of SOR4 as a Flash Game

I've seen the same statements made towards the likes of Hollow Knight, Monster Boy, and even newer Shantae games and just the same they come as across as short sighted, especially compared to actual legitimate flash games.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Man, I can't believe we first found out about the game since Aug 2018.

What a wild ride filled with shitposts about the game looking like a Flash game.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I am not the dev and I don't have all the info that they do in fairness but that sounds like total horse shit. How could it break gameplay? And don't give me that excuse about it focusing on juggling, there's a lot of ways around that.
I mean, just like how it was broken in 3. Fast movement breaks enemies having the ability to space and move in interesting ways at reasonable speeds (if they moved according to your running, they'd have to be crazy quick too). Additionally, running is usually crazy powerful defensively in beat 'em ups. Honesty, running adds very little mechanically for all the little issues it adds.

also tbh not a fan of you admitting you don't have all the info and then calling what they're saying "horse shit"

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Been playing the hell out of Streets of Rage Remake online lately with a friend. Really cool that it's part of gamepass, but I'll still most likely buy a physical switch copy as well for my collection.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
There's a Streets of Rage Remake?!

One of the best fan made games ever made. It has all the levels from all 3 games stitched together, remixes of all the music, and all characters with unlockable playable bosses and enemies. Me and a friend play through it every couple days using Parsec.

Sega took it down, but it's easy enough to find. Not sure if I can link it here just go look at long plays of the game on Youtube they normally have working links to it in their descriptions.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Streets of Rage Remake?!
One of the best fan made games ever made. It has all the levels from all 3 games stitched together, remixes of all the music, and all characters with unlockable playable bosses and enemies. Me and a friend play through it every couple days using Parsec.

Sega took it down, but it's easy enough to find.
This. Plus it has a ton of unlockables outside of characters. There is an in game shop (ran by blaze herself) that you can steal from (and be punished if caught). Plus there are various settings so you can tweak your gameplay according to the style of game you like the best (sor1-3 and remake). So you can have stuff like the dash from sor3, but the hitstun of sor2.

Also, you can use your favorite version of a character and play through the game. It is still weird playing sor1 Adam/blaze in a sor2 stage.

PLUS it has new pathways and branching pathways to stages youve seen before leading to alternate areas. For example: the bar stage , you can go through that door in the background now in the SOR2 stage to take you somewhere completely different. So now you'll get a different boss. Multiple playthroughs are recommended to see everything. A lot of stages are remixed in some way.

"SORR v5" ;)

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
This. Plus it has a ton of unlockables outside of characters. There is an in game shop (ran by blaze herself) that you can steal from (and be punished if caught). Plus there are various settings so you can tweak your gameplay according to the style of game you like the best (sor1-3 and remake). So you can have the dash from sor3, but the hitstun of sor2.

PLUS it has new pathways and branching pathways to stages youve seen before leading to alternate areas. For example: the bar stage , you can go through that door in the background now in the SOR2 stage to take you somewhere completely different. So now you'll get a different boss.

"SOR v5" ;)

All of this. It's so damn good. Wish it would have been an official release legacy games like this deserve this level of love put into them instead of what we normally get with half done rereleases.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, just like how it was broken in 3. Fast movement breaks enemies having the ability to space and move in interesting ways at reasonable speeds (if they moved according to your running, they'd have to be crazy quick too). Additionally, running is usually crazy powerful defensively in beat 'em ups. Honesty, running adds very little mechanically for all the little issues it adds.

also tbh not a fan of you admitting you don't have all the info and then calling what they're saying "horse shit"

Pretty much. It really takes away from crowd control as you can just bust out of any fucked situation by legging it or rolling away. I really dislike Streets of Rage 3 because of it, felt like a really unnecessary addition to the game that brought nothing of real value.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati

Running was not broken in 3. It is just as you say, running is an incredibly defensive ability. If I see an attack coming a mile away and I simply can not avoid it because my walk speed is to slow, I have an issue with that. Spacing is also key in beat um ups, defensively and offensively, if I need to set something up and quickly this is the tool to get it done. I don't like taking unnecessary damage because I have no defense options. I should only take damage when I do something wrong or make a poor choice.

Also I'm not allowed to form opinions based on information that is presented to me and take in account of others even if I don't have all 100% of the info?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Running was not broken in 3. It is just as you say, running is an incredibly defensive ability. If I see an attack coming a mile away and I simply can not avoid it because my walk speed is to slow, I have an issue with that. Spacing is also key in beat um ups, defensively and offensively, if I need to set something up and quickly this is the tool to get it done. I don't like taking unnecessary damage because I have no defense options. I should only take damage when I do something wrong or make a poor choice.

Also I'm not allowed to form opinions based on information that is presented to me and take in account of others even if I don't have all 100% of the info?
I take issue with you being crass about it. Costs nothing to be nice.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I don't like taking unnecessary damage because I have no defense options. I should only take damage when I do something wrong or make a poor choice.
Traditionally, these are the situations where the special moves have served their purpose. And in SOR3, you didn't even have to lose life for doing it if you were pacing yourself correctly.

I've said it before, but the removal of the run function was the first major thing to give me confidence in this game. Making a decision like that means that the developers are at least putting thought into how the player's capabilities are balanced.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Traditionally, these are the situations where the special moves have served their purpose. And in SOR3, you didn't even have to lose life for doing it if you were pacing yourself correctly.

I've said it before, but the removal of the run function was the first major thing to give me confidence in this game. Making a decision like that means that the developers are at least putting thought into how the player's capabilities are balanced.
And now only 1 character can run so far so it's definitely taking the SOR2 route.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the next reveal will be a female playable character, I don't like Blaze and need an another one besides Cherry.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Here is Adam!

And this:

oh man was i happy to see a notification on this thread. Ive been thinking about this game almost daily!
ADAM LOOKS FLY AS FUCK. Love his green power color!

What worries me still is that they are using placeholder sounds from sor2?? I heard blaze's "AYY"

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Really glad to see Adam returning. He always was my fave SOR character. I hope he can still do that thing where he launches enemies with an uppercut and then kicks them through the air.

His new design kinda reminds me of Bulletproof from the C.O.P.S. cartoon.

Bulletproof.JPG

96e4806030af7efa161f3a5ff11219a3.jpg

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the teaser art shown at the end of these videos changes then? I don't think there was any space for Adam last time around, so I guess we could see more than 5 characters. I'm wondering if the guy in the background is Max but he's lost his arm and had it replaced with a robot one. It's either that or a new character altogether - Zan isn't going to bulk up quite to that extent.

On a side note: pretty amazing to see Adam back as a playable character after all these years. I recall SoR 2 and 3 passing by and each time I wondered if he'd ever return.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That Indie World teaser got me pumped. Blaze is still my girl, but it's good to see Adam back.

Also, they know they have to nail the music and it sounds like they're nailing the fuck out of it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, if you're going to make a drive-by post, be creative.

The game looks fantastic, but I'm bummed that there are a lot of people dismissing SoR4 for the most ridiculous reasons.
I mean, it's perfectly acceptable not to like a game based on its art style. I don't agree with drive by posting about it, but I understand it. I personally can't stand the art either.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. He didn't have a silloute if I recall so...more playable characters could pop up.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
This might be the next co-op game for me and the lady. Can't wait until they announce the kangaroo with the boxing gloves!