• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally unboxed and booted, updated, and now I can't sign in to Steam. "There was a problem trying to sign in: 56"

Anyone have any idea what that means? I know I'm typing my credentials correctly. Does the Deck have issues with 2FA or something? Or maybe issues because the store is getting hammered due to the sale?

Yeah, steam sale. Loads of functionality down at the momen

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Finally unboxed and booted, updated, and now I can't sign in to Steam. "There was a problem trying to sign in: 56"

Anyone have any idea what that means? I know I'm typing my credentials correctly. Does the Deck have issues with 2FA or something? Or maybe issues because the store is getting hammered due to the sale?
Steam is being hammered because the summer sale just started. It will settle down soon but it's bad timing for you.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here was my experience posted earlier today.

I got my email on Monday, FedEx says it should be here tomorrow.

I was last Thursday (6/16) order. "Shipping Soon" (6/18-6/19) until the following "Shipped" Monday (6/20) got it yesterday (6/22).

I'd say the average wait time is between 6-8 days if part of a Thursday shipment

Thanks! So should hopefully get it by end of next week, just in time for the holiday.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
JUST MY LUCK. Thanks. It's weird because I was able to log out of the desktop client and log back in several times because I was convinced I was typing my credentials wrong and that worked fine. Oh well.

I think it's more likely you might have the same wifi issues I've also had and it just won't work until you get lucky or sth lol
But that is indicated by the occasional yellow exclamation mark on the signal icon

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks in and I still absolutely love this thing. I've nearly finished Cuphead and that was an absolute blast. It's basically a portable PS4 with a better CPU, absolutely insane. Fallout 4 and DOOM at 60FPS is straight up unbelievable. Battery life is much better than I expected, too.

I wasn't sure I was gonna keep this thing but it's been fantastic so far. What a fun piece of hardware.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Anyone picked up Tiny Tina's wonderlands on Steam Deck yet? I intend to double dip, but I will feel more comfortable if someone has tested it in linux before I make the jump.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely you might have the same wifi issues I've also had and it just won't work until you get lucky or sth lol
But that is indicated by the occasional yellow exclamation mark on the signal icon
If you guys have wifi issues (metsallica), you can try turning on the developer options and there you can toggle wifi power saving off.
No wifi issues as far as I can tell, I just waited a bit and logged in without issue. So probably just the authentication servers.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
after playing with the deck a bit. The device itself reminds me of a Wii U Gamepad. I think it has to do with the grips as well as how big a device it is lol.

Been having fun with it so far. Haven't really got to dig deep into all the fiddly things about it. Emudeck, ways to max out battery life & performance on a per-app basis by messing with the clockspeeds/watts, etc. But when I have a bit more time I will for sure be diving into that.

So far been just playing a lot of MH: Rise with Sunbreak on the way shortly. If anything to just catch up with my Switch version.

Oct 30, 2017
What are the drop dead titles to be keeping an eye out for on the Steam Sale to be playing/experienced on the Deck? I

recently scooped up the following from other sales:

Xcom 2
Valkyria Chronicles Remaster/4
FFvii intergrade
Skyrim
Death Stranding DC
Yakuza like a dragon
Persona 4 G
Borderlands 3
Warhammer TW 2
Warhammer 40k Noctis

Any other Backlog items lol?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Not too much stuff in the Steam Sale I'm dying to get.

I think I might just get Wreckfest, maybe one other thing.
Two weeks in and I still absolutely love this thing. I've nearly finished Cuphead and that was an absolute blast. It's basically a portable PS4 with a better CPU, absolutely insane. Fallout 4 and DOOM at 60FPS is straight up unbelievable. Battery life is much better than I expected, too.

I wasn't sure I was gonna keep this thing but it's been fantastic so far. What a fun piece of hardware.
Yeah, DOOM Eternal is ridiculous on Deck. Looks and runs so, so well.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. Thanks. All I really want to know is if it launches and you can get fully into the game itself. Performance and such are a secondary concern.

Took a while for the initial load but I'm in the game now.

A weird glitch when you pause and initially hit down on the dpad it'll go down then right back up. However medium setting with FSR on gives solid 30fps in intro area

Edit: Just crashed haha

Last edited:

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
RMA Timeline

6/9 (Thursday) - Messaged Steam my Deck was not turning on after plugging into a non-compliant hub
6/10 (Friday) - RMA approved, sent out same day
6/13 (Monday) - Arrived at warehouse
6/22 (Wednesday) - Messaged Steam for an update, support initiated a shipping order
6/23 (Thursday) - Got a tracking number
6/25 (Saturday) - Set to be delivered - pending

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My deck arrives Sunday, and I've been doing some reading about setting the deck to 40hz. From what I am reading, the built in limiter at 40hz can cause a lot of input lag. Anything keeping me from going to a games options and setting it to 40 instead, or will that have the same effect?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
My deck arrives Sunday, and I've been doing some reading about setting the deck to 40hz. From what I am reading, the built in limiter at 40hz can cause a lot of input lag. Anything keeping me from going to a games options and setting it to 40 instead, or will that have the same effect?
Its not too bad at all. It feels much better than 30fps limit on 60hz. You want the refresh and framerate set the same for perfect framepacing. Just set to 40hz if a game can not maintain 60fps or you just want to preserve battery life.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

I've had mine for 5 days now and yeah, sadly the built in limiter causes insane amount of input lag. It makes games feel like I'm streaming them instead of playing them locally. The frametimes of the built in limiter however are basically perfect though, creating a nice smooth experience. So far, none of the games I've tried with built in limiters have such great (basically perfect) frametimes, causing a slightly jumpy/stuttery experience. However the input delay is gone and everything is snappy again with game's built in limiters.

So it's a bit a of pick your poison scenario.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

The Deck's 40hz mode is a proper frame-paced, triple buffer vsynced 40hz cap. It delivers consistent and smooth motion and input.

If you use an in-game cap with the default 60hz output you're going to get horrendous frame pacing and constant judder. It will feel much worse than a 30fps console game, with inconsistent motion and input. It's academic if the measured input latency is less with an in-game cap if it is bouncing up and down every other frame (which it will be on a 60hz vsynced display), inconsistent input latency is no use to anyone even if the measured average is technically lower.

Think of the Steam Deck as a console as that's what it's default presentation is setup to replicate. 30fps console games have high input lag compared to PC games running on high end hardware with unlocked 100fps+ frame rates but the comparison is kind of missing the point. The 30fps cap at 60hz is similar to a 30fps console game and the 40hz refresh rate cap is unquestionably much better by every metric as long as you are maintaining that performance level.

Anyone harping on about the input latency of the 40hz-59hz refresh rate mode is entirely missing the point. Sacrificing absolute performance and input latency measurements for consistent performance and battery life is a necessary compromise of a handheld console, and you can't avoid that on the Steam Deck. Unlocked frame rates and inconsistent frame times have no place on a handheld console, Valve have made the right choice here.

If you can't tolerate the input latency in a 30fps console title then you should probably avoid the Steam Deck. In the vast majority of cases you'll be able to do better than that (thanks to the 40hz-60hz window) but that's the baseline comparison you should have going in.

Just make sure you set a refresh rate cap that leaves a comfortable buffer as drops below the performance target are really felt with the lower refresh rate. Doing so will net you better battery life so it's win-win really.

Running the device on the edge is never the way to go. If you're playing a modern game, even if you can technically hit 60fps most of the time, consider dropping the refresh rate down to ~48hz or similar. You'll be shocked at how much closer to 60fps rather than 30fps it looks and feels, you'll get more consistent performance, the fan will slow down and you'll get a decent chunk of additional battery life.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021

In addition to the other posts and just to be a bit technical, I've yet to see a 40 FPS limiter in games. It's not an option at all in many games, and if it is an option, it's usually 30, 60, 75, 90, 120, and so on for common refresh rates. So if you have the option to set it to 40FPS, let us know which game that is because it's incredibly rare, haha. If it were an option, you could give it a shot to see how it fares.

Oct 26, 2017
RMA Timeline

6/9 (Thursday) - Messaged Steam my Deck was not turning on after plugging into a non-compliant hub
6/10 (Friday) - RMA approved, sent out same day
6/13 (Monday) - Arrived at warehouse
6/22 (Wednesday) - Messaged Steam for an update, support initiated a shipping order
6/23 (Thursday) - Got a tracking number
6/25 (Saturday) - Set to be delivered - pending
What did you get an RMA for? I have a single dead pixel and am debating if I am just being whiney to ask for a new one.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
According to protondb and user reviews, it runs well with slight slowdowns at the end. Keep in mind that the steam deck linux drivers might have already fixed the issue.

edit: seems that windows also has the issues ?
Awesome! I may finally give it a shot given that it's currently on sale. Thanks for the report.

What about Ys SEVEN? Does anyone know if it runs well end to end on the Deck?

nded

Nov 14, 2017

Input latency is actually pretty low at 40hz when uncapped and using in-game vsync or limiters, roughly 34ms. The latency only gets really bad when you cap the framerate; for example 30fps can only be reached by capping 60hz by half which leads to a whopping 145ms input latency.

60hz uncapped: 31.8ms
60hz/60fps cap: 75.8ms
60hz/30fps cap: 145.9ms
50hz uncapped: 32.5ms
50hz/50fps cap: 94.2ms
50hz/25fps cap: 186.1ms
40hz/uncapped: 34.3ms
40hz/40fps cap: 121.1ms
40hz/20fps cap: 232.0ms

Setting an in-game limiter to 40fps while remaining in 60hz mode will introduce uneven frame pacing and jittering.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I'm glad I seem to have many options. I'll have to play with it once I actually get my unit and see what I prefer. Thanks for all the info.

Antifaith

Mar 2, 2018
I was starting to get worried that I'd be forgotten, even though my reservations states Q2. Luckily I got the email today while at work to purchase my 512GB version. Can't wait to finally get my hands on one of these!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
folks that ordered decks on thursday, when did you finally receive yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.