• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Screw the rest of the world's ISPs, this needs to become an international system and owned by nobody

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
On short distances, fibre is faster. On longer distances, Starlink will be faster.

In any case, Starlink will be awesome for people who can't get good internet.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
You can now register on the Starlink website to be notified of when the service will be available on your location.

www.starlink.com

Starlink

High-speed internet. Available almost anywhere on Earth.

Yep I signed up already. My local Tesla salesman let me know by email as he knows I'm eagerly awaiting Starlink to go public. They also now have a Model Y on the showroom floor!

I'd like to get into the beta, but he said the chances are very low as they will only be inviting a small number to beta test. I'm ready for modern internet speeds, and this is my only hope for them.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Yep I signed up already. My local Tesla salesman let me know by email as he knows I'm eagerly awaiting Starlink to go public. They also now have a Model Y on the showroom floor!

I'd like to get into the beta, but he said the chances are very low as they will only be inviting a small number to beta test. I'm ready for modern internet speeds, and this is my only hope for them.

Awesome, hope you qualify. I just found some information on the type of plans Starlink might offer at first. The speeds they can offer should increase as they add more satellites to the constellation.

"Broadly speaking, Starlink is best at providing connectivity to remote, isolated users (farms, small towns, remote residences), so our system offers a good solution for those users who are hardest to reach via fiber. Service levels of 100 Mbps down / 40 Mbps up would generally be anticipated, but depends on how dense the user-base is within a region. Latency will be very low, ~30 ms or so, far quicker than existing satellite-based solutions due to our much lower orbit, and comparable to fiber. User segment is a 19-inch electronically steered antenna, mounted on one's rooftop."

Starlink : Markets and Marketing

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Awesome, hope you qualify. I just found some information on the type of plans Starlink might offer at first. The speeds they can offer should increase as they add more satellites to the constellation.

"Broadly speaking, Starlink is best at providing connectivity to remote, isolated users (farms, small towns, remote residences), so our system offers a good solution for those users who are hardest to reach via fiber. Service levels of 100 Mbps down / 40 Mbps up would generally be anticipated, but depends on how dense the user-base is within a region. Latency will be very low, ~30 ms or so, far quicker than existing satellite-based solutions due to our much lower orbit, and comparable to fiber. User segment is a 19-inch electronically steered antenna, mounted on one's rooftop."

If those speeds are true, even at general speeds that is still 3x faster than what I have now for download and 40x faster for upload.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
We're allowed to have takes on things, right?

I'm pro games, I'm pro technology, I'm pro musk, I'm really open minded and progressive.. I'm not saying that to get in to this, it's my way of life, nobody tell me I'm bsing to fit in them drop an alternative view. I'm expressing this view from the perspective of someone with endless love for the natural world and the wonders of our deathless skies.

the idea of saturating our skies with satellites, perverting our view of the night sky and the work of scientists on the ground, makes me sick.

Edit: i live in Japan with cheap unlimited high speed internet, so i recognise that my view is skewed. If i still lived in Australia i might feel differently, but i would still hate the idea of polluting the skies.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
We're allowed to have takes on things, right?

I'm pro games, I'm pro technology, I'm pro musk, I'm really open minded and progressive.. I'm not saying that to get in to this, it's my way of life, nobody tell me I'm bsing to fit in them drop an alternative view. I'm expressing this view from the perspective of someone with endless love for the natural world and the wonders of our deathless skies.

the idea of saturating our skies with satellites, perverting our view of the night sky and the work of scientists on the ground, makes me sick.

Edit: i live in Japan with cheap unlimited high speed internet, so i recognise that my view is skewed. If i still lived in Australia i might feel differently, but i would still hate the idea of polluting the skies.
They are working on fixing the light pollution issue. One of the prototypes with reduced reflection/light is already in space.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
They are working on fixing the light pollution issue. One of the prototypes with reduced reflection/light is already in space.
I'm aware of that, but the mass is up there and i don't imagine it being invisible will render it immaterial. And anyway, the ones without reduced reflectivity aren't getting cycled back down for upgrades, right? If they did that at least I'd be more charitable. But, yes, my point stands that i wish we would leave virgin territory alone for once in our collective history~

who knows what'll happen if 20% of the moon's mass gets mined and taken to earth and our axis gets destabilised, or something similarly awful, and we start wobbling our way to a new seasonal cycle and all~

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm aware of that, but the mass is up there and i don't imagine it being invisible will render it immaterial. And anyway, the ones without reduced reflectivity aren't getting cycled back down for upgrades, right? If they did that at least I'd be more charitable. But, yes, my point stands that i wish we would leave virgin territory alone for once in our collective history~

who knows what'll happen if 20% of the moon's mass gets mined and taken to earth and our axis gets destabilised, or something similarly awful, and we start wobbling our way to a new seasonal cycle and all~

This shouldn't be viewed as an all bad situation. Space X is working directly with astronomers on reducing the light pollution from the satellites and its not like the satellites that are currently in orbit has ruined astronomy for everyone. There are billions of people still without access to internet on planet earth. Think of your life for a second without internet. The fact that you are using it right now to communicate your opinion should make you think how important it is.

www.nytimes.com

SpaceX Plans Sunshades to Save Night Skies From Starlink Satellites (Published 2020)

Some astronomers who have criticized the company’s orbital internet constellation were encouraged by the measures it announced.

Oct 25, 2017
México

People underestimate how big the Earth is. People just can't understand this, specially when viewing the CGI simulations. The CGI simulations show the satellites as the size of a city.

Just imagine your city. Do you think it has over 10,000 refrigerators? Now spread all those refrigerators evenly across the world. Each one would be cities apart. The Earth is extremely huge compared to 40,000 satellites.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

The expected lifespan of a Starlink sat is 3-4 years, at which time they will de-orbit them and they'll burn up on reentry.

Of all the Starlink sats that are currently up there, none of them will still be there in 4 years.

As their designs improve and they launch more, hopefully the ones with the measures taken to reduce issues will be the only ones up there as they continue to cycle new ones as older ones come down.

They are designing these to be cheap (relatively speaking) so they can just keep putting them up there as needed.

Hopefully as well since they will be on somewhat predicable orbits measures can also be taken to remove them from astronomical observations and data like they do for other things.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
The expected lifespan of a Starlink sat is 3-4 years, at which time they will de-orbit them and they'll burn up on reentry.

Of all the Starlink sats that are currently up there, none of them will still be there in 4 years.

As their designs improve and they launch more, hopefully the ones with the measures taken to reduce issues will be the only ones up there as they continue to cycle new ones as older ones come down.

They are designing these to be cheap (relatively speaking) so they can just keep putting them up there as needed.

Hopefully as well since they will be on somewhat predicable orbits measures can also be taken to remove them from astronomical observations and data like they do for other things.
It's good to know that they have a lifespan, I hope that means they'll be taken out of the sky one day if we figure out a better way to do things~ And it's good to know that eventually they'll all be low-reflectivity models.
people really should educate themselves before making ignorant takes

if you really care about that you should petition your city to shut down/reduce the light at night since light polution is a way bigger issue than starlink
i don't think my take was ignorant bro, it was just different to yours, don't insult me. furthermore, i live in the mountains so i've no grounds to make that petition~ i agree with you, light pollution is a huge problem. I also live in a land of colossal fireworks festivals, feel awful for all the wildlife here on days like those~
People underestimate how big the Earth is. People just can't understand this, specially when viewing the CGI simulations. The CGI simulations show the satellites as the size of a city.

Just imagine your city. Do you think it has over 10,000 refrigerators? Now spread all those refrigerators evenly across the world. Each one would be cities apart. The Earth is extremely huge compared to 40,000 satellites.
I totally get where you're coming from, but that's what people thought about plastics and everything else. Eventually the biggest dumpster in the galaxy is gonna fill up. The orbits are already crowded, it's not a problem at the moment, i grant you, but that doesn't mean it will never be one. As someone who's lived in many places around the world throughout my lifetime, I'm under no illusions as to the true size of the globe.
This shouldn't be viewed as an all bad situation. Space X is working directly with astronomers on reducing the light pollution from the satellites and its not like the satellites that are currently in orbit has ruined astronomy for everyone. There are billions of people still without access to internet on planet earth. Think of your life for a second without internet. The fact that you are using it right now to communicate your opinion should make you think how important it is.
Good points. Please don't paint me as being against the internet :)

All of you guys gave great responses to my points. I just wanna point out that my OP and that initial reply I made which most of you guys have quoted here contained the salient point: my problem isn't with elon musk, it isn't with the tech, it isn't with the internet, i just don't like us polluting our skyspace (any more than it already has been) The action of polluting is what 'makes me sick', not the fine details and qualifications, and certainly not the general motivation to provide the internet to many people. See quotes from my earlier posts below:

But, yes, my point stands that i wish we would leave virgin territory alone for once in our collective history~
I'm expressing this view from the perspective of someone with endless love for the natural world and the wonders of our deathless skies.

I genuinely think I've made my point really clear over the course of three posts here, and I think it's a fair point. If you disagree further, send me a PM, but as it stands I don't want to have to add anymore to what I've said here. I love the internet, I love gaming, I want us to use technology to better our lives, i just don't like the idea of filling up our orbits with more and more aggregated clutter.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I mean that's still much better than my 25 down and 1.5 up, and I would be a good candidate living in a small town, but I hope it's higher than that. Still, that upload will be night and day for me.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I mean that's still much better than my 25 down and 1.5 up, and I would be a good candidate living in a small town, but I hope it's higher than that. Still, that upload will be night and day for me.

Yeah, I'm happy to see that people in your situation will have a big improvement. That is a good place to start with this service.

Oct 25, 2017
My parents have some kind of wireless internet at their house (not sure if satellite, is australian govt. nbn fixed wireless sat?) and the latency is fucking garbage

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
My parents have some kind of wireless internet at their house (not sure if satellite, is australian govt. nbn fixed wireless sat?) and the latency is fucking garbage

Starlink will really shine over long distances, compared even to fiber. Australians should have a much better experience with online gaming after Starlink.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have nothing to back this up at all and it is 100% pure speculation, but I wonder if Starlink is the reason the last few SpaceX launches haven't lost video from the drone ship during landing?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've grown more pessimistic as I've spent some time on the Starlink reddit. There isn't capacity to serve much of the population apparently. They're targeting 3-5% of the population I believe. The cost of the user terminals is a big problem. etc. Nobody really knows the speeds, I'm guessing more like 100 mbps is likely in practice, simply to preserve capacity.

It could be a godsend for a few in very rural areas, and kudos to them, but I'm increasingly pessimistic it can help in my situation which is paying too much for good broadband already. A lot of details need to come out. I suspect pricing will be quite high as well. If it serves rural, then there will be no competition, so they will charge much IMO. The same as current satellites do. This has got to be costing them an arm and a leg as well, so again they will charge IMO.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I have nothing to back this up at all and it is 100% pure speculation, but I wonder if Starlink is the reason the last few SpaceX launches haven't lost video from the drone ship during landing?

I was also curious to see why did that happened and after seeing the video below, I wouldn't see how Starlink could help with this. There are other solutions you can see on the video.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I've grown more pessimistic as I've spent some time on the Starlink reddit. There isn't capacity to serve much of the population apparently. They're targeting 3-5% of the population I believe. The cost of the user terminals is a big problem. etc. Nobody really knows the speeds, I'm guessing more like 100 mbps is likely in practice, simply to preserve capacity.

It could be a godsend for a few in very rural areas, and kudos to them, but I'm increasingly pessimistic it can help in my situation which is paying too much for good broadband already. A lot of details need to come out. I suspect pricing will be quite high as well. If it serves rural, then there will be no competition, so they will charge much IMO. The same as current satellites do. This has got to be costing them an arm and a leg as well, so again they will charge IMO.

Starlink will definitely be a service aimed at low populated areas at first, but we all know that they will continue to launch satellites after that. We still need to know the price of the receiver, but I'm pretty sure Space X is working on making it as cheap as possible. This success of this service depends on the receiver being affordable enough.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
I had Excede when I first moved to my house. Not only were the speeds god awful, but there was a data cap, except for midnight to around 5AM. With my work schedule, it was horrible. Not to mention game updates and forget multiplayer.

I then heard about a cell phone hotspot [at&t], and that has been working 1000% better. Still for the price I'm paying, $100, speeds should be better. But it is unlimited and can do [some] multiplayer [restricted NAT].

SO I am very curious about this.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I live in farmtown USA too and the best ISP I have access to is DSL for 7 Mbps up / 0.5Mbps down. Starlink will be a Godsend for me when I can get it!

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Prototype Starlink terminals

bKoL9ja_d.webp

yoY3r1F_d.webp

sAdsDAn_d.webp

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the space debris Elon.
Polluting earth and beyond so that people can play rocket league and download animes is great.
To be fair, it was inevitable. and you really think the 2200 non starlink satelites in orbit right now are invisible? not having starlink doesnt make objects in orbit not a thing.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this question has been asked, but is the Starlink signal powerful enough to be uninterrupted during storms and such? I keep thinking of shit like Direct TV where any time it rains the signal fucks up.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope these deliver. My parents live out in the country and the very few options they have all have issues.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this question has been asked, but is the Starlink signal powerful enough to be uninterrupted during storms and such? I keep thinking of shit like Direct TV where any time it rains the signal fucks up.

Starlink satellites are orbiting MUCH closer to the Earth than Direct TV's are. They should be far less impacted by storms and snow. We'll see later this year of course if this is true.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the space debris Elon.
Polluting earth and beyond so that people can play rocket league and download animes is great.

To be fair, it was inevitable. and you really think the 2200 non starlink satelites in orbit right now are invisible? not having starlink doesnt make objects in orbit not a thing.
KEEPING SPACE CLEAN
Starlink is on the leading edge of on-orbit debris mitigation, meeting or exceeding all regulatory and industry standards.

At end of life, the satellites will utilize their on-board propulsion system to deorbit over the course of a few months. In the unlikely event the propulsion system becomes inoperable, the satellites will burn up in Earth's atmosphere within 1-5 years, significantly less than the hundreds or thousands of years required at higher altitudes.

www.starlink.com

Starlink

High-speed internet. Available almost anywhere on Earth.

Right there on the site

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The deadline for SpaceX to prove the capabilities for Starlink to the FCC so they don't get dropped from the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund is July 15th. Has there been any news on this?

I don't imagine they would keep it a complete secret but we gotta hear something about this very soon. Hopefully it's good news.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The deadline for SpaceX to prove the capabilities for Starlink to the FCC so they don't get dropped from the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund is July 15th. Has there been any news on this?

I don't imagine they would keep it a complete secret but we gotta hear something about this very soon. Hopefully it's good news.

I haven't seen anything on that yet.