• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game during the weekend. I had such a great time. Probably my GOTY, even with the bugs.

Oct 28, 2017
See this gif, all you need to do is hold it down until Cal's arms spread out as you see. It takes a while, and you need to be in a safe position. Hope this helps!

iMaFra.gif
Thanks for the gif, I think I was letting go of it like a second before he moves his arm.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
continuing to have a great time with this game. finally got to dathomir, held off until the story directed me to go there. combat is becoming more fun with more abilities, especially force pull and saber throw. combat still feels janky af sometimes, it's difficult for me to time parries correctly esp with some of those creature enemies. Really digging the variety on the purge troopers, lol i wonder if they are at all inspired by what knights of ren will be like.
really glad we have this game, even if the story is only so-so, it's got a great feel.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game before I got clapped for three days, this was a 7/10 game for me, nowhere near this year's finest. My biggest disappoint was the story, just terrible all the way through. At first I thought it was because the story was so predictable, but The Mandalorian is predictable, wearing its influences on its sleeve for all to see. Yet, the show is amazing. No, it's not that the story is predictable, it's just plain not good and the characters are equally terrible with thin characterizations and near non-existent arcs.

There was one character I legit enjoyed until a certain moment.
I really liked Merrin, then she joined our crew and her personality flipped completely on its head and suddenly she's cracking jokes like a Marvel character. I nearly cringed myself to death during that scene, can we just have one serious character? Besides her, everyone else was flat and Cal had zero arc. He basically stops growing as a character after the tutorial mission. He goes from hiding from his past to full Jedi in the span of a single level and doesn't change for the rest of the game. That he had a Force Vision and determined that the future Force Sensitives are better left alone isn't an arc, it's something he literally saw and decided he shouldn't follow.

The only cool story moment I enjoyed was
Vader because it really sold how powerful he was.

As far as gameplay, it's serviceable, nothing special. I played on Master and really only died when the game threw waves of enemies at me at once which the auto-target can't deal with. But as far as boos fights, I didn't find any of them particularly challenging or enjoyable. I only died to two bosses and even then I only died once both times. A pet peeve I have with most swordfight bosses is how every fight ends with a damn cutscene. You know the whole trope, "win the battle, lose in the cutscene."? The game does that way too many times and it's really annoying. Nothing is more satisfying in a game like Sekiro than beating a boss and actually driving your katana through their heart. Yet, even when we win in the game the relegate our actual victory to a cutscene. A pet peeve, but still an annoying one.
Trilla was a fight that really disappointed me as it felt like they were going a Genichiro route from Sekiro. A boss who seems impossibly hard at first and who you keep encountering throughout the story but eventually you learn their moves and are able to whip them with ease by the end. But, she just is never that challenging and her movesets just not that interesting.

But again, I'm not playing this game for some super challenging combat like Sekiro. It's hard to compare with perfection and they want casual audiences to be able to beat the game. I'm just ultimately disappointed with the story and overall mission structure.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
God damn I love this game so much. What a year this has been.
Finished last night. This is my GoTY 2019. That is all.

You can now go back to attacking one another.
I finished the game during the weekend. I had such a great time. Probably my GOTY, even with the bugs.
Couldn't agree more. Absolutely floored by how much I really enjoyed this game. It has flaws but not enough to stop it from being my GOTY.
Feeling the same. Game was a damn good time.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Just finished, final ~2 hours were amazing. The latest addition to your crew should've been introduced much sooner IMO.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i play so very few games in a year that by default this would have to be on my list for GOTY along with Link's Awakening and I can't remember if it was this year or last but about 3 playthroughs of Dark Souls 3.

This game is fun, but it sure as shit ain't a Fromsoft game, though I admire and appreciate the efforts made to be even compared to it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the Team GOTY list.
Feeling the same. Game was a damn good time.
You know it's funny how much the narrative gets written about a game, based on the marketing and the press, and then that completely shapes the way people think about the game before they play it. And then when you do eventually get to play it, and you really like it, you have to like qualify that positivity by saying things like "well despite all the obvious flaws", and "despite it clearly not being a perfect game". Which is silly, because no game is a perfect game. There are things to dislike in any game, yet people don't feel that sense of obligation to "justify" their fondness for other games where the narrative is more positive. I don't know, I think it's interesting and funny, but also unfortunate how much the discussion around games in these sorts of circles really is shaped by the press.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The droid jail detour and the arena fight has just soured me on the game almost entirely. Nothing hard about it, just a pointless slog that takes away from the exploration from out of nowhere. Ugh.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Just finished, final ~2 hours were amazing. The latest addition to your crew should've been introduced much sooner IMO.
I get the impression that there was some story cut from the final product, given Greez's arc kind of coming out of nowhere and ending just as fast, and the last crewperson not having much to do when they join.

Still loved the game altogether though, even though the tech issues hurt it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just an utterly pointless detour from out of nowhere that brings the game to a screeching halt.
I'm surprised you feel that way about it, because for several reasons I think it was actually done the way it is because of pacing. Consider the following:
  • After Tomb 2, you think you have to make the trek back from the Zeffo Crash Site to the Landing Pad. Getting captured by Bounty Hunter on your way back subverts this expectation, and also spares you the repetitiveness of having to make this trek back that you've already made earlier in the game
  • Once captured, the gameplay section is pretty unlike the rest of the game, given that you are stripped of both your lightsaber and BD-1. So you have no way to defend yourself, no map, and a much more claustrophobic environment which all contribute to an area that feels very different from the other areas you've been to.

It feels like something out of a 90's SW game.
Why do you say that?

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Just finished this - was taking my time with it and trying to 100% it on my first playthrough. Unfortunately, while I found all the chests and secrets, one of the chests
the underwater one in the Jedi Temple on Ilum
didn't register as having been opened, denying me the achievement :(

I really loved it! It was way better than it had any right to be, having only been in development for two years. The characters, story, dialogue, music and visuals all captured the Star Wars vibe perfectly. A strong contender with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 for my favourite game of the year.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the technical issues, this game would be this year's Shadow of Mordor, a bland, inoffensive game that is serviceable but nothing special.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And the "life is a game" conversation was entirely unearned. I'm beginning to feel this game drag a little, which is a shame as an hour or so ago I was having a blast.

I'm surprised you feel that way about it, because for a lot of reasons I think it was actually done the way it is because of pacing. Consider the following:
  • After Tomb 2, you think you have to make the trek back from the Zeffo Crash Site to the Landing Pad. Getting captured by Bounty Hunter on your way back subverts this expectation, and also spares you the repetitiveness of having to make this trek back that you've already made earlier in the game
  • Once captured, the gameplay section is pretty unlike the rest of the game, given that you are stripped of both your lightsaber and BD-1.
It was just busy work for the sake of it, it didn't add anything, it didn't do anything interesting with characters. just suddenly there... exploring... meet a new antagonist... fight... and it's over, antagonist just disappears? Felt entirely like filler and not at all interesting.

The gameplay "differences" were just not engaging with a fight or droid connections for a few minutes. Took options away from you and forced you through same old exploration.

I don't see the point at all.

KOTOR had a similar detour, if you remember.
That doesn't help how I feel about this one, unfortunately.

The game is full of pointless detours though

"go back to the ship"
Right, I'm starting to get this too... even the "shortcuts" don't really help.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I get the impression that there was some story cut from the final product, given Greez's arc kind of coming out of nowhere and ending just as fast, and the last crewperson not having much to do when they join.

Still loved the game altogether though, even though the tech issues hurt it.

Nothing feels cohesive in this game. Greez is all like « you guys gave me a reason to live » when they barely know each other. The bad blood between Cal and Cere is over in 20 minutes.

That and the technical issues. I just dropped the game. It's not worth my time.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It was just busy work for the sake of it, it didn't add anything, it didn't do anything interesting with characters. just suddenly there... exploring... meet a new antagonist... fight... and it's over, antagonist just disappears? Felt entirely like filler and not at all interesting.

The gameplay "differences" were just not engaging with a fight or droid connections for a few minutes. Took options away from you and forced you through same old exploration.

Yeah, just completely disagree. But to each their own
🤷

Oct 27, 2017
And the "life is a game" conversation was entirely unearned. I'm beginning to feel this game drag a little, which is a shame as an hour or so ago I was having a blast.

That doesn't help how I feel about this one, unfortunately.

Right, I'm starting to get this too... even the "shortcuts" don't really help.

Yeah I get it, I was really more addressing the comments considering the detour an old-fashioned notion. Just this year Days Gone had a swerve in its story that changed the location and mood and it put people off there too. And it was larger than this short detour. It seems it hasn't run out of style even if it may have run out of favor.

The game does pick up after this, though. I personally found the level designs that open up after this point to be tighter and more enjoyable.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Nothing feels cohesive in this game. Greez is all like « you guys gave me a reason to live » when they barely know each other. The bad blood between Cal and Cere is over in 20 minutes.

That and the technical issues. I just dropped the game. It's not worth my time.
I wouldn't go quite that far. There's definitely some underdeveloped moments, but there are also a lot of really good ones too.

Order 66 and everything with the Second Sister spring to mind.

That said, its your time, so far be it from to tell you to keep playing.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally am stuck at an incredibly difficult part. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and this part has made me think about toning it down. I only have 3 stim packs, and its probably the reason I cant do this. I really wish the game would lead you more easily to the stim pack upgrades as they are a huge part of the game, yet I have only found 1 so far since playing.

I am currently stuck at
the underground prison and the fight in the arena with all of the different mobs. I can get to all the way to the Spider and Giant, but thats it. Fighting them both at once is too difficult and I am out of stims by the time I get to them

Does anyone have any tips? Can I backtrack and get more stim packs or am I soft locked into this area (pretty sure I am)?

Oct 29, 2017
Kashyyyk really looks like ass on the PS4 Pro. I cant tell if the textures arent loading up to their proper resolutions or if this is just how it looks but its pretty dang ugly overall.

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally am stuck at an incredibly difficult part. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and this part has made me think about toning it down. I only have 3 stim packs, and its probably the reason I cant do this. I really wish the game would lead you more easily to the stim pack upgrades as they are a huge part of the game, yet I have only found 1 so far since playing.

I am currently stuck at
the underground prison and the fight in the arena with all of the different mobs. I can get to all the way to the Spider and Giant, but thats it. Fighting them both at once is too difficult and I am out of stims by the time I get to them

Does anyone have any tips? Can I backtrack and get more stim packs or am I soft locked into this area (pretty sure I am)?

I had 5 at that stage. Dunno if you can get out of there. If you can get out then visit Bogano.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I am currently stuck at

Just did this on Jedi Master. Don't kill all the bees and the Giant thing will spawn on its own before the spider.

There is one more phase after them both though... so you need to save a stim. At this point I had 4... not sure which one you missed though.

Yeah I get it, I was really more addressing the comments considering the detour an old-fashioned notion. Just this year Days Gone had a swerve in its story that changed the location and mood and it put people off there too. And it was larger than this short detour. It seems it hasn't run out of style even if it may have run out of favor.

The game does pick up after this, though. I personally found the level designs that open up after this point to be tighter and more enjoyable.
I just logged out and felt pretty much all my desire to carry on deflate, so thanks for encouraging me to carry on!

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

I am currently stuck at

The game should checkpoint you right at that last phase of the fight, so you should have full stims if you die and come back. As for tips, use the appropriate parries so you can insta-kill them. If you can't get that to work, use Slow so that you can focus on attacking one without the other getting in your face.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I really hope Respawn speaks up soon about when and how performance can be improved via updates, because it's still frustrating me regularly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The game should checkpoint you right at that last phase of the fight, so you should have full stims if you die and come back. As for tips, use the appropriate parries so you can insta-kill them. If you can't get that to work, use Slow so that you can focus on attacking one without the other getting in your face.
Ohh, sweating through that last fight with no stims and I could have just died to replenish?

Fml, lol.

And yeh, I instantly killed the spider after a parry... I didn't realize that was a thing. How does it work?

Oct 29, 2017
Uhh so I am in the shadowlands section and I have 6 stims. Have I just been wandering more than others? Or are there more of them on the easier difficulties? (playing on Jedi Knight)

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is a spoiler, so a tip for that part of the arena would be to run to get separation from enemies, maybe even use slow, and bait the spider to do his big attack. If you parry it, you can 1 hit kill it. Useful anytime you face the spiders.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Just finished the game last night. Yesterday morning I literally was at the final door before the last boss fight, but had to leave for most of the day. I have a few achievements to clean up on. It seems some databank entries don't trigger at all? I've waited for about 5 minutes at the faded mural on Bogano and nothing is happening.

On a side note, I'm surprised there's no physical/digital release for the music.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Question about the second visit to Zeffo.
Was getting defeated and caught by the bounty hunter droid optional or not? I fought him after swinging the vines and picking up the stim upgrade. What if I took an alternate route back to the ship?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting defeated and caught by the bounty hunter droid optional or not? I fought him after swinging the vines and picking up the stim upgrade. What if I took an alternate route back to the ship?
Not sure. Is there actually a way to get back to the Landing Pad without going through the Ice Caves?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

Hey, pot, you are black, too. You basically just just did the exact thing that you criticized others for doing, but being overly positive.

The things that aren't designed well in my short time with the game are as follows:
1. Even on Grand Master, the enemies are too dumb to do anything other than their standard attacks. I shouldn't be able to just dodge around the back of them and kill them, especially when difficulty tier mentions parrying.
2. The level design is awful
3. The camera is N64 level of shit
4. The forced replayability/hindered progression serves no purpose. For me to be on the difficulty I'm on and already have my "skill tree" maxed with 5 points banked makes it seem like I will constantly beover leveled.
5. The story seems uninspired so far and is coming off as a bad piece of fanfiction from someone who watched a season of Rebels.

The positives:
1. The soundtrack
2. The tomb on Zeffo

I disagree with everything you said and Jedi is easily in my top 5 this year but I respect your opinion

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

First bounty hunter is scripted to capture you. It's normal.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
It's wild how this game can go from "Looking incredible and absolutely gorgeous" to "this might be one of the worst looking AAA games out there". The Wookies in particular are laughably bad looking at times. I feel like you can tell the parts of the game they had to really be hasty with to reach the release date.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild how this game can go from "Looking incredible and absolutely gorgeous" to "this might be one of the worst looking AAA games out there". The Wookies in particular are laughably bad looking at times. I feel like you can tell the parts of the game they had to really be hasty with to reach the release date.
The past parts looks really hideous