• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just finished my first session, played for 4 hours straight. I'm in the middle of Zeffo right now, past halfway through.

Looks like each planet is not that big, but you get to explore them at least twice due to paths being locked on your first visit.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
"lets implement one hit enemies that pose no challenge even on the hardest difficulty"

there must have something happened during development, i think this was planned as a real Soulslike but somewhere somebody changed this vision to a half assed version of it

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Was really looking forward to this but everything is sort of disappointing/annoying.

The combat doesn't feel good. Its not smooth, the dodge is weird, the animations of the enemies aren't great. The climbing/navigation is boring. Its just uncharted/tomb raider stuff again and feels like busy work. The environments dont have that intricate feel of the souls type games, or the encouraging exploration of the metroid stuff. Its just bland. The story seems ok but none of the characters are really arresting. And the load times are rough (PS4), just really enthusiasm killing.

Kinda of a bummer, was looking forward to this one :(

And thank god for EB 7 day return.

How far are you? I agree with most of what you said, but I am enjoying it. I think I'd be even more into it if the worlds felt a little more organic and not like constructo-pieces of a video game that you wall run and rope swing to and from. Still fun, but there's zero sense that I'm navigating anything that resembles an actual alien planet.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think another cardinal sin this game commits context wise is the same sin Star Wars Galaxies was guilty of. You're a Jedi(ish), yet struggling against guys with like wooden clubs and bows and arrows, while majestic music is playing. Somehow some dude in a loin cloth and wielding a somewhat thick tree branch is blocking your LIGHT SABER. Really kills the immersion, makes the entire affair start to feel stupid.

It reminds me of that old Penny-Arcade commentary where "Gabe" was discussing playing Star Wars Galaxies and running away from sand lizards, shooting over his shoulder while stirring orchestral music played, and realizing (sic) "This is farthest thing from Star Wars Star Wars should be".

Every time I am forced to square up against an opponent that should be nothing more than a trivial afterthought to even a lowly padawan I am reminded of that old Penny-Arcade commentary.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So the trick with fighting guys where you think you will die and you have a decent chunk of xp is to respawn enemies over and over until you level up and get a point. That way when you die, you don't lose any xp but you still keep the point. Does that make sense?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I think another cardinal sin this game commits context wise is the same sin Star Wars Galaxies was guilty of. You're a Jedi(ish), yet struggling against guys with like wooden clubs and bows and arrows, while majestic music is playing. Somehow some dude in a loin cloth and wielding a somewhat thick tree branch is blocking your LIGHT SABER. Really kills the immersion, makes the entire affair start to feel stupid.

It reminds me of that old Penny-Arcade commentary where "Gabe" was discussing playing Star Wars Galaxies and running away from sand lizards, shooting over his shoulder while stirring orchestral music played, and realizing (sic) "This is farthest thing from Star Wars Star Wars should be".

Every time I am forced to square up against an opponent that should be nothing more than a trivial afterthought to even a lowly padawan I am reminded of that old Penny-Arcade commentary.

Yeah, when I got destroyed by 3 lizards on the first world, it was kind of ridiculous.

Rilian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I'm about two hours into the game but was hoping to play through the beginning of the game again with my kids watching. I see that there's an option in the main menu to "Start New Journey".

Does anyone know if you can start a second play through without losing the progress from the first?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
So the trick with fighting guys where you think you will die and you have a decent chunk of xp is to respawn enemies over and over until you level up and get a point. That way when you die, you don't lose any xp but you still keep the point. Does that make sense?

It does, but those RESPAWN load times......

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Some good news to share for those annoyed by general game performance. During Giant Bomb's quick look video they mention they were told the next patch will focus on improving performance.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just started, but it is going to take all of my imagination to accept Ian from Shameless as the main protagonist in a Star Wars game.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What are PSN refund policies? I never tried to get one before. Does Sony refund games?

Edit: shit just read the Sony policy. Never ordering another digital game from Sony again then

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Respawn load times are slow on PC as well.

I haven't experienced long load times on PC, but I have it installed to a solid state drive. I have noticed the occasional hitch during cutscenes. I just solved a giant sphere puzzle on Zappho, and I'm struggling not to read to much/watch videos about the game while I'm work.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"lets implement one hit enemies that pose no challenge even on the hardest difficulty"

there must have something happened during development, i think this was planned as a real Soulslike but somewhere somebody changed this vision to a half assed version of it
The half measure is my biggest issue with it. But one shorting enemies with a lightsaber is the opposite of a problem. I hate games that only go half in with concepts. Breakpoint is also guilty of that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

HP from enemies are the same between all modes IIRC, what it changes is parry timing, aggresion and damage dealt to you.

This was done to not having a basic stormtroppers tanking lightsaber slashes like nothing. I guess they also wanted to avoid the usual bloated HP enemies games tend to have with higher difficulties that add nothing other than tedium.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So far this game is pushing for one of my games of the gen. It is everything I wanted from a star wars game.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
How far are you? I agree with most of what you said, but I am enjoying it. I think I'd be even more into it if the worlds felt a little more organic and not like constructo-pieces of a video game that you wall run and rope swing to and from. Still fun, but there's zero sense that I'm navigating anything that resembles an actual alien planet.

Bout 3 planets in. You make a good point about the levels not feeling organic; more like lego blocks of levels attached together. Someone said earlier they couldn't find their way back to the ship on the first planet and I had the same problem. It wasn't clear where you could jump, how far you could latch onto ledges, what pipes were navigable, what you could climb. Its like it was designed to be intricate, but without the skill to make it intuitively navigable that you see with games like bloodborne. I feel like a well designed level wouldn't even need a map, but this game is still frustrating to move through even with the map.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Only played for an hour last night after it unlocked, but damn it's all I can think about at work. The thing that stood out to me the most was the sound. I love the sound when you deflect a blaster shot. It sounds good and feels good. I can't wait to dig into this game more.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to avoid spoilers but is there a sense of exploring cool planets like in Outer Worlds? Scifi RPG's are my faves and I like Dark Souls games

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

That's one theory. Another theory is that they wanted higher difficulties to make the game more challenging WITHOUT changing the fundamental nature of a lightsaber, which is certainly capable of being a one-hit kill weapon on a lot of enemy types.

Would you rather have had them turn the lightsaber into something else on the higher difficulties?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Played about 4 hours so far and its very good and also very frustrating at parts. Probably comes down to that I'm very easily triggered too.

Slammed my head towards an early tough enemy that was hidden away for like an hour an kan was I salty. Had to set it to story mode to even beat it.. and then I couldn't even open the chest it was guarding, seems like I stumbled upon this enemy before I'm "supposed" to be able to beat it.

The normal versions of same enemy I had no issues against. Was this toad type btw.

Combat is similar to Sekiro to a degree but you can't have like a spam parry stance like you can in Sekiro. Some enemy's will tear you down in this if you try that, was trying that against a dual wielding black trooper.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
All hyped up on The Mandalorian and thinking of Redboxing this for the weekend. How's PS4 Pro performance?

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I played for about 2 hours last night... daaaaammmmmmmnnn. The game looks and feels great. As other people have mentioned it sounds amazing. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic 1990s Pro and it sounds unreal.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Played about 4 hours so far and its very good and also very frustrating at parts. Probably comes down to that I'm very easily triggered too.

Slammed my head towards an early tough enemy that was hidden away for like an hour an kan was I salty. Had to set it to story mode to even beat it.. and then I couldn't even open the chest it was guarding, seems like I stumbled upon this enemy before I'm "supposed" to be able to beat it.
It's a miniboss and you can definitely beat it when you first come across it. I took it down on Jedi Grand Master. You just need to be patient, read his moves, and most importantly
git gud

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
2080ti, 1440p, mix of ultra and high settings, 8700k CPU.

You don't have stutter when entering areas especially on zip lines, etc?

Also have stutters on occasion not game breaking By any means and I have much lower specs.

i7 4790k, GTX 1080 and settings on 1440p and "epic". Was the adviced settings in geforce experience and it runs smooth for the most part except those small stutters.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Any special effect that i should be turning off? Someone mentioned film grain...

Also am I the only one that changed attack from square to r1... didn't feel right

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We all have a light stutter on occasion when entering a new "region". Really nothing deal breaking, probably just a streaming issue.
It's even present on consoles, One S is pausing the game for ~7s according to DF to load in new data.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Someone asked earlier in the thread, but I didn't see an answer. Are there any missable trophies?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Gotta say it's a steal getting this on Premier access on pc.

Yeah it's been a great week for Star Wars with Mandalorian and now this. Just hope ep 9 will deliver too.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say again but anyone with elite controller give yourself a favor. Put left paddle to sprint. It's so much more enjoyable

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
I hate it when games don't tell you what exactly a skill does. "Maximum Life is increased" - great. How much? 50%? Best skill ever, need it. 10%? Nah, I'm good.

No way to know...

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long the game is. I'd love to rent it t redbox and just go hard on it this weekend
I'll say again but anyone with elite controller give yourself a favor. Put left paddle to sprint. It's so much more enjoyable
im picking this up after work and I have an elite 2. What other paddles do you use??

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
HDR looks so good on my c8. Are you guys just cranking the slider all the way to the right? That would explain why it looks washed out.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta say it's a steal getting this on Premier access on pc.

Yeah it's been a great week for Star Wars with Mandalorian and now this. Just hope ep 9 will deliver too.

Yeah I wanted to cancel my yearly Origin Basic anyway, so they refund it if you updrade to premier. So paid $3 for the game lol will cancel before end of the month

Reminds me how I suscribe to netflix, hbo etc for a month to bingewatch then cancel