• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I'm this mythical person that doesn't own a console/PC, yet for some reason wants to drop $60 on the latest games - I'd still rather have a $200 Xbox and Game Pass. It's a far better value in the long run.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool if you don't like it, but the things people are saying about a product they'll never use is really something else.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly for people who currently don't have a console or gaming PC.
Also for those who own consoles but what higher fidelity games (and are ok with increased latency) without buying a PC.
Clearly Resetera does not fit in either of these two camps, thus the comments in this thread.

How large these two markets are though....I guess we will wait and see.

Exactly, and trying to siphon people who are existing console/PC owners as they go along.

I really do wonder about that market size; the research would be interesting.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The responses we're so civil I thought maybe there was some heavy moderation. Nope, just a very small subreddit for what I thought would be a bigger deal. It's kind of a bummer.

I wonder if this indicates low interest for cloud streaming or that Google just has an incredibly unattractive product.

Game streaming services exist, and work, right now and no one cares. Magically Stadia is going to change that according to Google. I have my doubts.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
So 30FPS bothers you but the amount of latency that this would create doesn't?
Dying to demo it! If it sucks, then it sucks. I'll lose US$10 for a month's trial - I'll take those chances.

The appeal is clear in my opinion - jury's still out on whether this delivers on the potential.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
To avoid the cost of a console, which is an entry cost of hundreds of dollars. People spend $10+ for movie tickets, people spend $60 to watch a PPV event - the idea of buying the movie and avoiding the cost of the Blu Ray player won't be inherently aversive to people.

Problem with this analogy is nobody is paying the full cost for any of these experiences. A movie ticket is cheaper than buying a Blu-Ray, A PPV is cheaper than buying tickets to the event. I think it would make more sense if the games on Stadia were cheaper, because then you don't own the game but you're not paying full ownership price to play it anyway

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's totally possible they'll carve out an audience of people who want to game but haven't gotten to the step of owning hardware to game on, but I think that's an uphill battle to carve out that kind of market.

The cost of entry for games is historically low right now, so appealing to people who [want games as they currently exist] and also [care about high-end experiences] and also [have higher-end internet] and also [are happy to both buy games at full price and pay a recurring membership] who aren't already invested/engaged elsewhere is an interesting Venn diagram to imagine.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Even if I'm this mythical person that doesn't own a console/PC, yet for some reason wants to drop $60 on the latest games - I'd still rather have a $200 Xbox and Game Pass. It's a far better value in the long run.

Stadia is not comparable to a 200 Xbox. It's comparable to a 500 PS5. It also allows for immediate access to games with no downloads, no installs, no updates, and no system firmware updates. You can invite friends into a multiplayer party with a URL. You can play next-gen games on any low power laptop or tablet that runs Chrome. The hardware in Google's data centers can be "stacked" for performance beyond a console, and will be continuously upgraded over time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Game pass is not a 'Netflix for games'. Game pass has around 100 titles, and only a fraction of them, are likely to be played frequently in 2019.

I think gamepass is cool, but it locks you into a very small ecosystem unless you want to purchase more content and subscriptions. To put it in perspective, none of the top 10 most played games on XBOX, are featured in Gamepass.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The crazy part of it is that Destiny 2 goes F2P in September while Stadia launches in November.

I get that the Stadia version will include DLC but still, it isn't totally honest to trumpet this game as a great deal for Stadia subscribers.

Like they could at least make an effort to include a paid game at launch on top of Destiny 2.

This feels half assed and probably means that you'll need the subscription to play F2P games.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Problem with this analogy is nobody is paying the full cost for any of these experiences. A movie ticket is cheaper than buying a Blu-Ray, A PPV is cheaper than buying tickets to the event. I think it would make more sense if the games on Stadia were cheaper, because then you don't own the game but you're not paying full ownership price to play it anyway

You don't "own" games on any digital distribution platform. Google is making the same licensing commitment as every other full priced digital download: play it whenever you want, forever. Additionally, you can play those purchases on lots of different types of form factors which aren't available to console or PC games. And there's no waiting to play.

Also, as a differentiator from consoles, there's no subscription fee to play multiplayer games.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
60$ for a game is a bummer, but I will wait for most stuff to get a sale and then purchase it, like I mostly do. I rarely play games directly after release, most of the time they are too expensive and need to be patched anyways.
As I only have a 1080p Tv I do not need to pay for the subscription, so thats a plus in my book.
I will definetly try stadia (or other streaming services) after it releases. Hope that streaming will get bigger in the future, I do not want to upgrade my graphic card every few years to play games in high quality.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game pass is not a 'Netflix for games'. Game pass has around 100 titles, and only a fraction of them, are likely to be played frequently in 2019.

I think gamepass is cool, but it locks you into a very small ecosystem unless you want to purchase more content and subscriptions. To put it in perspective, none of the top 10 most played games on XBOX, are featured in Gamepass.

What metric are you using? Most played ever? Most played currently?

Most played games - Microsoft Store

Most played games – Shop these 49 items and explore Microsoft Store for great apps, games, laptops, PCs, and other devices.

I see two.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You don't "own" games on any digital distribution platform. Google is making the same licensing commitment as every other full priced digital download: play it whenever you want, forever. Additionally, you can play those purchases on lots of different types of form factors which aren't available to console or PC games. And there's no waiting to play.

I sure as hell have more ownership on other platforms than I do on Stadia. Even if digital downloads aren't full ownership it's still more than what Stadia provides

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy part of it is that Destiny 2 goes F2P in September while Stadia launches in November.

I get that the Stadia version will include DLC but still, it isn't totally honest to trumpet this game as a great deal for Stadia subscribers.
To be fair, the DLC includes Forsaken ($40) and Shadowkeep ($35) plus the Anuual Pass ($15-ish). Even if Forsaken drops in price some by then, that's still a full game's value.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Phil Harrison: "Okay, look...we've been clear from Day 1 that -- hold on, excuse me..."

Takes off brown patent leather shoes and puts on red sneakers, lacing them tightly

Phil: "Ah, that's better. So what we're doing here is revolutionizing the gaming experience!"

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Game streaming services exist, and work, right now and no one cares. Magically Stadia is going to change that according to Google. I have my doubts.

That's true. I keep forgetting about PSNow.

If the input lag was gone and frame rate improved, I'd really be into the idea of streaming. No more worrying about hardware upgrades.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's totally possible they'll carve out an audience of people who want to game but haven't gotten to the step of owning hardware to game on, but I think that's an uphill battle to carve out that kind of market.

The cost of entry for games is historically low right now, so appealing to people who [want games as they currently exist] and also [care about high-end experiences] and also [have higher-end internet] and also [are happy to both buy games at full price and pay a recurring membership] who aren't already invested/engaged elsewhere is an interesting Venn diagram to imagine.
Yeah, I think this is where I'm at. I'm not as cynical on this as most people, but it's not exactly likely.

Minecraft, FH4 and Rocket Leagu are up there and on Gamepass. (Also a bunch of them are F2P anyway)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Stadia reddit is currently doing an AMA with Stadia's Director of Product.
You can read the whole AMA here (currently ongoing): https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/ceuy4w/hi_im_andrey_doronichev_and_im_the_director_of/

But this stood out for me:
do9fibA.png

Doesn't this.. kinda kill the product for many people? You'll have to pay $60 to play games which you can't play natively or on other platforms. And there is no subscription service so you have a smaller barrier to entry.
It kills it for me. What's the point?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
To be fair, the DLC includes Forsaken ($40) and Shadowkeep ($40) plus the Anuual Pass ($15-ish). Even if Forsaken drops in price some by then, that's still a full game's value.
I recognize that. It would be more attractive if they market it as "The Full Destiny 2 Experience...for FREE!...not counting a monthly subscription."

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I sure as hell have more ownership on other platforms than I do on Stadia. Even if digital downloads aren't full ownership it's still more than what Stadia provides

Any digital distribution platform can go offline and lock you out of your library forever. There's an element of trust in every digital purchase.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the majority of my games on PC.

To me, game streaming services, if they can be successful, it would mean PC gamers will be able to save money in the long run by not needing to constantly upgrade hardware if they want the latest and greatest graphics in games because the games are being run on a data center PC that would have much stronger hardware than a home PC that is then streamed to a home PC.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's comparable to a 500 PS5.
it is not.
as far as we know, a ps5 (or next xbox) do not require a permanent internet connexion, it does not require a 35mbps internet,it does not require a subscription, it does not require a sub 15ms ping to google servers, it does not require you to live in a place without data caps, it does not require to forfeit any ownership on games you paid 60$ for, it does not require to forget about reselling your games, it does not require to forget about your games in 2 years because google may drop the project. and both ps and xbox have a streaming solution if so you want.
It has not even the beginning of a tenth of the value.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

If you're casually playing games it is cheaper. The discount is in the fact that you're not paying $300+ for hardware.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to sound half baked. The technology and service sounds solid, but that pro pricing is a hurdle.
It's like they are targeting the hardcore gamer segment but doing everything to turn them off. The service and the messaging is really at odds with each other. I find the promotion of this thing a lot more interesting than the service tiself

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Um what? If you're not competing with gamepass what are you even doing? This thing is gonna crash and burn so hard.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

while i personally think stadia is doomed, and a lot of their business model is lol-worthy, i do think being able to slap a "play immediately" button on a youtube trailer is p. good hashtag brand integration

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Any digital distribution platform can go offline and lock you out of your library forever. There's an element of trust in every digital purchase.

There's significantly more trust involved if you don't have the means to play any component of your purchase library without the service platform. Which was why they said it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Ok here's an example, the Wii Shop is gone, all of the games on the Wii shop are gone and cannot be purchased or downloaded by anybody. Except I did download the games I bought off that service and I can still play them perfectly fine even with my Wii disconnected from the internet. I don't know of any service currently that functions any different. I'm pretty confident that as long as they're installed on my system I will forever have access to any PSN or XB game I own.

What I do know for 100% certainty is once Stadia's servers are gone all of your Stadia games are gone too, forever. No way around that. With digital theres a chance I could eventually lose my library. With Stadia there's a certainty.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm puzzled how a tech company with pretty much infinite resources can fuck up this badly.

What the hell are they doing?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
How long will your Steam library be playable if Valve shuts their servers down?
for ever, they have a way to unlock the server side checks if they ever go under, and gaben wrote that himself back in the days on the steams forums.
installed games will be playable forever if such a thing ever happen.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The average internet US connection per Speedtest.net is 33.8Mb/s. Very close to the Stadia 4k requirement, and triple the minimum 10Mb requirement:
https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/
The fun part is when you realize that this is actually mobile and landlines may very well be vastly slower than that.

for ever, they have a way to unlock the server side checks if they ever go under, and gaben wrote that himself back in the days on the steams forums
As far as contracts go, this means nothing but it's a helluva better than pretty much the rest of the industry this side of Gog.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
it is not.
as far as we know, a ps5 (or next xbox) do not require a permanent internet connexion, it does not require a 35mbps internet, it does not require a sub 15ms ping to google servers, it does not require you to live in a place without data caps, it does not require to forfeit any ownership on games you paid 60$ for, it does not require to forget about reselling your games, it does not require to forget about your games in 2 years because google may drop the project. and both ps and xbox have a streaming solution if so you want.
It has not even the beginning of a tenth of the value.

Stadia is not comparable in the sense that it avoids the entry cost, it avoids repair costs, it avoids costs of upgrading storage, it avoids costs of upgrading hardware, it avoids a subscription cost to access online.

It will have merit to an audience of people.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll admit I was in on Stadia after the initial reveal and even pre-ordered. The guy they had on Giant Bomb at Nite turned me off completely. Ignored the tough questions about data caps and realities of the internet and just kept saying things like "trust the internet!" This AMA isn't doing much to change my mind.

I think Microsoft has the better strategy for streaming as of now. Push the local streaming tech free to anyone who owns the box, and sell a sub later on. If Google doesn't catch up on basic feature stuff and data caps stay the way they are for the foreseeable future, they could have an incredibly tough year ahead of them. Hope they're ready for the long haul, or it'll die on the branch before it catches on.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Based on their posts/responses throughout this discussion, I'd recommend others consider not responding to thebishop here. It's immediately clear they're not on-the-level with these exchanges. For example, I pointed out there was more trust involved for a streaming-only platform compared to a local platform, and they couldn't accept even that. I see enough hints of that sort of nonsensical response in other situations.

I'd guess they're just excited about the idea of something like this, but if I can't tell the difference between someone deliberately trolling and that kind of excitement, it stops mattering.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is not comparable in the sense that it avoids the entry cost, it avoids repair costs, it avoids costs of upgrading storage, it avoids costs of upgrading hardware, it avoids a subscription cost to access online.

It will have merit to an audience of people.

For PC, this.

I have the majority of my games on PC.

To me, game streaming services, if they can be successful, it would mean PC gamers will be able to save money in the long run by not needing to constantly upgrade hardware if they want the latest and greatest graphics in games because the games are being run on a data center PC that would have much stronger hardware than a home PC that is then streamed to a home PC.