Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This answer is so weird. "No free games, but you can access our servers for free....after spending $60 for the game".

I still have no idea why someone would pay full price for a game just to stream it off a server.

To avoid the cost of a console, which is an entry cost of hundreds of dollars. People spend $10+ for movie tickets, people spend $60 to watch a PPV event - the idea of buying the movie and avoiding the cost of the Blu Ray player won't be inherently aversive to people.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to workout like that. Most will be better have buying a native box for consistent frame rate and screen clarity. Stadia having a few more flops on the server side isn't going to make that big of a difference.
Of course it will make a big difference, it should be just like homestreaming from a PC, I have no issues getting 60fps that way with Ultra visuals. The big issue is the latency, but so far we don't know how bad this will be, could be great.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need the hardware, that's the beauty of it, especially since it'll keep improving and since devs can use multiple Stadia cards/boxes if needed for even more processing power. I doubt it can compete with PCs but it should be above next gen consoles at least.
Considering we don't have final specs for next-gen hardware yet, and that MS at the very least will be using their cloud services in enabling who knows what for future games...it seems premature to say this.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly for people who currently don't have a console or gaming PC.
Also for those who own consoles but what higher fidelity games (and are ok with increased latency) without buying a PC.
Clearly Resetera does not fit in either of these two camps, thus the comments in this thread.

How large these two markets are though....I guess we will wait and see.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
It's an idea in search of a business model and a market. It's odd to watch them aggressively going all in on this concept whilst sticking their fingers in their ears. Phil Harrison's passive-aggressive defence on game pricing was just typical really of their approach.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course it will make a big difference, it should be just like homestreaming from a PC, I have no issues getting 60fps that way with Ultra visuals. The big issue is the latency, but so far we don't know how bad this will be, could be great.

There will not be a noticable difference between Stadia or PS5 / Xbox Scarlett games for a long time, if ever (other than artifacts / latency issues concerning streaming Stadia). That's not a selling point.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pumped for Stadia tbh.

Being able to use my iPad or laptop on the go for 4K60 gaming from a Chrome window sounds absolutely fantastic.

I fully expect developers will continue their obsession with 30fps garbage next gen regardless of what CPU Sony/MS go with. The idea of getting better performance for an upfront cost of US$0 sounds really enticing.

Even a cheap gaming PC would run US$1,000 - that's 100 months of Stadia (at 0% interest). I don't get why the appeal is lost on you guys.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah thats the weird thing. I guess its for people that are maybe on the move alot? But thats a small audience i guess.
Or you really like streaming over native stuff at home. But that seems odd. Some people had the argument its for people that cant buy the latest console. But you would think if someone can get internet that can run 4k/60 and pay 60 buck for a game can afford a latest console also.
But what if I have an irrational fear of consoles though? Maybe Stadia is the right platform for me.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What did you folks expect? These games cost upwards of $200 million to develop and market, and you want them ALL at an affordable subscription cost?

Netflix doesn't even have the majority of good or recent movies. How would a service like that survive if it didn't provide the majority of popular games? Do you think video game consumers would be happy with a service full of older content? It's hard to envision an all-inclusive subscription service that could work, and I imagine that's why google went with this model instead.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see it as a screwup, I actually see it as a fairy well thought out marketing and launch plan. It's about ensuring that the first impressions are in line with what the system is being pitched to do - be a powerful console without needing a powerful console in your house.

This is just early access and it means they they don't need to be concerned with supporting random Bluetooth controllers or kicking off because sure their TVs smart app doesn't support it.

It also means the whole of the gaming world can't dogpile it for reasons X Y Z as you will have had to have paid for it and access the content via the included hardware.

It also provides a degree of indication for country interest, if they launch the free one to everybody straight away we will all be stuck in queues waiting to try it out

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Being able to use my iPad or laptop on the go for 4K60 gaming from a Chrome window sounds absolutely fantastic.

4K gaming "on the go"

You must only travel in places with a minimum 35 Mbps internet. Where is this magical place?

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
if microsoft offers access to the cloud version of games you buy on the next xbox marketplace or physical then they are gonna crush stadia.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

I fully expect developers will continue their obsession with 30fps garbage next gen regardless of what CPU Sony/MS go with. The idea of getting better performance for a grand upfront cost of US$0 sounds really enticing.

Even a cheap gaming PC would run US$1,000 - that's 100 months of Stadia (at 0% interest). I don't get why the appeal is lost on you guys.
A cheap gaming PC is not $1000...also, with the PC I also get 100 months of horsepower for basically anything else I want to do with it (at 0% interest)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
*While having noticeably degraded video quality due to compression (whats the point of 4k then?) and random latency spikes due to imperfect network conditions.

To understand Stadia's appeal you have to understand there's an audience that don't care about that. You are in the position of a PC player saying 'I don't even know how people play games at less than 60fps - 144hz is the way to go'.

Stadia is to consoles what consoles are to PC.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Well, yeah. The people that constantly make this claim must not know what Netflix or Stadia is to keep doing it for everything that shows up. PS Now's the closest thing to a Netflix of Games right now. Stadia's just a marketplace of games where the only way to play the games you buy is via streaming.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I still have no idea why someone would pay full price for a game just to stream it off a server.

Probably to avoid having to buy a $1000 gaming PC.

Do people really not the purpose and use of this service? You don't have to like it, but is there really no use in being able to play video games at 4K/60 with almost no upfront investment? Or to be able to play at 4K/60 on a laptop? Or a phone?

I mean, I'm not gonna use it, but I can definitely see the point.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
They still haven't really answered the question about free-to-play games and Stadia Base. He said "no free games", but that is explicitly not what was asked. Considering that Destiny 2 is going F2P in September and is being trumpeted as one of their marquee titles, it's not giving me much hope that I'll be able to jump on there without a Pro subscription...

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Hey we have all these ML datacenters that aren't seeing 100% usage at all times. Can we build something that runs on GPU datacenters? Doesnt have to be great.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You should totally be using this for your trips:

I also get more than that off LTE

Yeah and also who cares if you can't get 4k on the go? If one purchase gets you 4K AAA gaming at home, and "only 1080p" on your phone or tablet that's still a bfd. Yes there are existing streaming options out there, but if presumably Google's tech is a lot better, this is something that hasn't existed before. You'd think people excited to play downscaled versions of Doom and Dark Souls on their Switch would be even more excited about Stadia.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
- "Stadia business model won't work"
- "In the past people doubted Netflix too"
- "So It will be the Netflix of games?"
- "No"

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hey we have all these ML datacenters that aren't seeing 100% usage at all times. Can we build something that runs on GPU datacenters? Doesnt have to be great.

The ML data centers run Nvidia graphics. Stadia runs a customized AMD chip based on Vega. It's designed for gaming. For more technical details of Google's streaming implementation, you might like this presentation from Google IO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Htdhz6Op1I

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
There will not be a noticable difference between Stadia or PS5 / Xbox Scarlett games for a long time, if ever (other than artifacts / latency issues concerning streaming Stadia). That's not a selling point.
And how do you know this? We already know Stadia hardware can be stacked, we don't know the total teraflop a 2x Stadia will achieve but it'll definitely be above the next gen consoles. And we've already heard some dev talk about the cloud processing possibilities. Google also hinted that they'll be upgrading Stadia as time goes by, their dream scenario is that people shouldn't need a dedicated gaming box, at all, not ever.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I fully expect developers will continue their obsession with 30fps garbage next gen regardless of what CPU Sony/MS go with. The idea of getting better performance for an upfront cost of US$0 sounds really enticing.

So 30FPS bothers you but the amount of latency that this would create doesn't?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So it's exactly what they announced then? I guess people just weren't paying attention.

I think a demographic this could be popular with is kids. With the cost of individual games (and maybe a controller) being the only real cost of entry, it could get some kids playing games that otherwise wouldn't because their parents won't buy them a console.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Lol, you can tell they have put the B team on marketing this thing, I read the ama and laughed at how shit the responses are.

This thing is going to limp along thanks to current Google's scattershot and unforgiving focus on doing as many projects and product launches at once. The fact that, unlike Amazon who brought some fucking studios, they have made small investment in the project and isn't giving stadia the funding it needs to go long term, (studios, exclusives, game deals) just keep proves they think they can wing it.

I say this as a heavy Google services user.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did you folks expect? These games cost upwards of $200 million to develop and market, and you want them ALL at an affordable subscription cost?

Netflix doesn't even have the majority of good or recent movies. How would a service like that survive if it didn't provide the majority of popular games? Do you think video game consumers would be happy with a service full of older content? It's hard to envision an all-inclusive subscription service that could work, and I imagine that's why google went with this model instead.

Gamepass say hi.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
lol, 4k/60fps gaming in an hotel shared connection between every client of the hotel.
why not pretend you'll play twitchy games on top of it.
FPS over streaming, hahaha.
This thing is DOA.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
The responses we're so civil I thought maybe there was some heavy moderation. Nope, just a very small subreddit for what I thought would be a bigger deal. It's kind of a bummer.

I wonder if this indicates low interest for cloud streaming or that Google just has an incredibly unattractive product.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
My question is what the hell is with services that are launching in 2019. without features that are standard thing for past 10 years?