• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
That's good. I myself would love to see their games run at higher frame rates and higher resolutions but each to their own.

If they put their games on PC why not just go full multiplatform? Also I would not buy another PS as it would be inferior for every single game. Exclusives matter. The only reason I buy one now is because they make a lot of my favorite games.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they put their games on PC why not just go full multiplatform? Also I would not buy another PS as it would be inferior for every single game. Exclusives matter.
That's ok, I'll just wait until they hit PS Now and I think Sony will be pushing that more in the future.

Your comment doesn't seem to hold water, Sony sells a ton of games that are multiplatform. In fact some of them sell better than the exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
That's ok, I'll just wait until they hit PS Now and I think Sony will be pushing that more in the future.

Your comment doesn't seem to hold water, Sony sells a ton of games that are multiplatform. In fact some of them sell better than the exclusives.

So I can assume you won't be buying Scarlett then since you can just play their games on PC with Gamepass day one for cheap? Somehow I doubt that from what I have seen you post in other topics. And of course they sell plenty of multiplatform games. But here is the thing if I'm not buying a PS for those exclusives I'm also not buying any multiplatform games on PS nor am I subscribing to PS+.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
We should put up a poll: Coming out of E3 2020, will Phil Spencer still say his annual "We've Got a lot of work to do on 1st Party" statement? Or, when talking 1st party content, will he instead smile broadly like a proud papa and most gamers will say he's earned it?

What are we up to now ... 8 new studios in 15 months?
E3 is irrelevant. It'll be how the games are received critically upon release that matters.

You're missing the fun drinking-game aspect of these redundant Microsoft quotes that have shown up during each E3 for at least three years now as Phil makes the interview rounds. (This 'Fortune' interview was from E3 2019.) Phil has replaced one bad-look quote for another.
"We know we have work to do on 1st party content" is the new "We know we have work to do to show PC gamers we're committed to gaming on Windows."

But at least those terrible PC-related quotes that Microsoft execs made each year between 2005-to-2015 got sorted rather emphatically in 2019.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I can assume you won't be buying Scarlett then since you can just play their games on PC with Gamepass day one for cheap? Somehow I doubt that from what I have seen you post in other topics. And of course they sell plenty of multiplatform games. But here is the thing if I'm not buying a PS for those exclusives I'm also not buying any multiplatform games on PS nor am I subscribing to PS+.

Cool, you just proved people like buying console versions even if the majority of those games exist on PC. As well as paying extra to gain acces to the multiplayer.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine he pivot to streaming means they may be serious this time, but they can hold this line for a few more years if they need. What im wondering is if they are going big or crackdown tier.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically you are buying Scarlett no matter what while trying to persuade other people to weigh their options? Very enlightening. We're done.
Who said I am buying Scarlett, I never even bought an Xbox One. I just bougth a brand new GPU. The only one done is you because you just proved you don't play games on the PC and just use the old excuse Microsoft puts their Xbox games on there so why buy an Xbox. Not everyone wants to play on the PC, which explains why Sony does not see it as a direct competitor. This also explains why crossplay and PS Now can co-exist and not cause ruffles with the higher ups at Sony.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like he's been saying this for the past few years now. And then when one of their first party games comes out to mixed or negative reception he gets quiet about it for a bit.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For an enthusiast board a lot of you are just clueless.
Seriously. What do people expect, Phil says 1st party needs to be better in 2018 then multiple Microsoft GOTY candidates are released in 2019 because he willed it to be so? Xbox was in a dumpster fire state when Phil inherited it. Pivoting the brand is like turning a cruise ship. Shit takes time. It's clear that Microsoft is focused on beefing up Xbox Game Studios, but it will be at least a few years until those efforts really start bearing fruit in the form of quality exclusives.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Who said I am buying Scarlett, I never even bought an Xbox One. I just bougth a brand new GPU. The only one done is you because you just proved you don't play games on the PC and just use the old excuse Microsoft puts their Xbox games on there so why buy an Xbox. Not everyone wants to play on the PC, which explains why Sony does not see it as a direct competitor. This also explains why crossplay and PS Now can co-exist and not cause ruffles with the higher ups at Sony.

Oh they definitely see it as a competitor. Just not as strong a competitor as consoles. That's why their games are never available for purchase on PC outside of a few notable exceptions. PS Now is a lukewarm compromise. And I have played on PC and may again in future. I'm not against it. Like I said earlier I would drop PS like a rock if they took Microsoft's approach and put all of their games there so that would be the surefire way to get me back into immediately. Microsoft's first party games improving tremendously would also be a good push.

Last edited:

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Interesting interview. I always enjoy Spencer's honest approach. Funny that guys who are now on Stadia earlier worked on streaming at Microsoft. But gosh that interview guy seems stiff.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Seriously. What do people expect, Phil says 1st party needs to be better in 2018 then multiple Microsoft GOTY candidates are released in 2019 because he willed it to be so? Xbox was in a dumpster fire state when Phil inherited it. Pivoting the brand is like turning a cruise ship. Shit takes time. It's clear the Microsoft is focused on beefing up Xbox Game Studios, but it will be at least a few years until those efforts really start bearing fruit in the form of quality exclusives.
Hasn't Spencer been in charge of MS studios since like 2011?

And also Spencer has been saying the exact same thing re the first party studios needing to increase in quality since 2016 at least. Right now we should have at least seen one trailer for a game that would get us interested/excited. Funnily the most interesting Xbox games that I've seen from them this generation both got canned (Scale bound and Shanghaist)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

And also Spencer has been saying the exact same thing re the first party studios needing to increase in quality since 2016 at least. Right now we should have at least seen one trailer for a game that would get us interested/excited. Funnily the most interesting Xbox games that I've seen from them this generation both got canned (Scale bound and Shanghaist)
scale bound looked like a pre pre pre pre alpha game. it never looked good outside of its cinematics. shanghaist was literally nothing. you can project whatever expectations you want onto it.

phil was head of game studios but now is head of xbox.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seriously. What do people expect, Phil says 1st party needs to be better in 2018 then multiple Microsoft GOTY candidates are released in 2019 because he willed it to be so? Xbox was in a dumpster fire state when Phil inherited it. Pivoting the brand is like turning a cruise ship. Shit takes time. It's clear the Microsoft is focused on beefing up Xbox Game Studios, but it will be at least a few years until those efforts really start bearing fruit in the form of quality exclusives.
I think it's more like you can't do everything at once (because money and time) . Priority one was fix the hardware perception - that got us the x1x.

Not sure what the time lag between studio acquusition/creation and the x1x launching was, but does that correspond to when xbox was put under windows? (terrible idea that led to abominations like cortana instead of the xbox voice commands).

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, I don't think just buying up studios is going to result in high quality first party titles. It's going to take at least a couple generations for MS first party to be firing on all cylinders. Hell, I feel like only with this gen did Sony firmly cement themselves alongside Nintendo in terms of overall first party quality. Sony games now have a certain feel to them the same way Nintendo games have a certain feel. I think it's going to take MS the better part of a decade to reach this level.
I mean, what? Ocarina of Time, Earthbound, DKC, Mario Galaxy, God of War, Uncharted, TLOU. What a shitty take if you think Sony or Nintendo have just now started making top of the line games. Looking at your avatar, you honestly have to be joking right?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Yes, but as is the case with a lot of companies, even in high up positions you're still beholden to the vision or lack thereof of your superiors - and forced to operate within the means of whatever budget is given to you.

For a while Spencer had to operate under Balmer and Don Mattrick, where trimming fat, maximizing short term profits and chasing trends were the name of the game. This is when a lot of Microsoft's first party developers were shut down, instead choosing to make a shift towards contracting out to 2nd party and 3rd party studios. Then the Xbox division was rolled under Terry Myerson's division, who was universally despised at Microsoft and didn't give two shits about Xbox. The division's budget under him plummeted dramatically, and with the previous guard having shrank Microsoft's internal capabilities - there wasn't an opportunity to have much of a first party gaming presence.

It's not an accident that when Phil got a promotion to the head of gaming and started reporting directly to the CEO, and Xbox seemingly became an important pillar of Microsoft's future vision - allowing the division to tap into the company's war chest - that Xbox began to see some momentum.

September 2017, Phil's most recent promotion, is honestly the beginning point from which you should hold him accountable. That was the day he was given reigns to the vision of the division, and the freedom and budget to make it happen.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
scale bound looked like a pre pre pre pre alpha game. it never looked good outside of its cinematics. shanghaist was literally nothing. you can project whatever expectations you want onto it.

phil was head of game studios but now is head of xbox.
Well that's why they looked interesting because they were still in the concept phase. But a sly game in Shanghai sounds much more interesting than Gears 4 or Gears 5.

And as a head of MS studios it was Spencer's job to ensure that the games they were producing were top notch. And sure maybe the old guard wanted Halo, Gears, Forza but then it was Spencer's job to ensure that these three IPs would continue in excellence. And apart from Forza he failed.

He became head of Xbox in 2015 I think. That's 4 years. Again even with the long development times and all, we should have at least one interesting game on the horizon. But so far we have nothing. I don't doubt that Ninja Theory and Obsidian will do good for MS once they're done their multiplat games,but still these are companies producing games in the 80s on metecratic. He needs to hit that 90mark for us to finally say there's a comeback.

Let's look comparatively at Sony. To be honest the law era didn't really have any high profile first party games. Come ps3, Sony was in a dire situation so decided to focus on the first party when third parties went multiplatform. It took 3 years until 2009 for Uncharted 2 to launch and I think LBP was the same year.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
All those studios they bought suddenly disappeared into the space, I see.
Lol.

Its amazing to see Phil finally getting all the support he needs right from the CEO and CFO obviously being in the senior leadership team at MS means you've got direct access to the CEO and have a major say when it comes to making decisions. Phil said they would improve on hardware , live /services and first party. And so far he is doing just that. Hardware build and quality has been amazing this gen , Xbox X, Xbox S, controllers and accessories have been top notch... Regarding features, live and services they have been amazing too with BC, Game pass, and the numerous Xbox live features.. and now we got 1P investments and we can see all the acquisitions being made with more in the pipeline and they've got top industry talent joining all their 1P studios. They are going for some of the best industry recruiters to help bring in even more top of the class talent and they are developing a proper Xbox division in Asia to nurture new talent and foster better partnerships with devs across Japan , Korea and China and the Xbox indie scene which started out badly this gen has quickly turned around..most of the best indie devs are now onboard and MS has been partnering with many of them too. Phil is definitely walking the walk and hopefully we will see the results next gen.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Most of their output has been mediocre and been too many public cancellations of games this gen but it's a learning curve, hope to see them back to the original Xbox and Xbox 360 quality again next gen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's good. I myself would love to see their games run at higher frame rates and higher resolutions but each to their own.
Their games wouldn't be the same if built for multiple platforms. They exist to sell PlayStations, that sell their services. As long as they keep delivering I couldn't really careless about them continuing their strategy.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Didn't they claim the last two E3, if not more, that they have the best lineup in the history of Xbox?

Something doesn't compute.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
They relied on Halo, Gears and Forza, all of which appeal to a similar type of gamer, for so long that it's difficult to get away from the perception that there's nothing more to Xbox than that.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox fans are satisfied with the output it seems. I'd say they don't need to change a thing, just keep doing what they were doing.
They want more than Xbox fans, they want previous fans back and fans from other platforms as well.
Perhaps it is the money that comes from their closed service that allows them to invest in their first party games. People go on about how MS don't care where you play their games but if you're buying their games on Steam and not on their closed system they lose royalties from third party sales. They should just go third party and be done with it.
MS is a PC software, OS, service company first. Their move to rip down the walls between Xbox and PC is the most logical thing ever, I'm surprised it didn't happen already back at the OG Xbox launch. Their move to put games on Steam as well doesn't mean that they'll lose money, lots of people literally refuse to buy games on Windows Store just like on EGS so even with the Steam cut it's actually likely that they'll make more money now.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same wanky PR speech at every interview. Every year is xbox's 'Biggest ever'. Blah blah blah.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Seriously. What do people expect, Phil says 1st party needs to be better in 2018 then multiple Microsoft GOTY candidates are released in 2019 because he willed it to be so? Xbox was in a dumpster fire state when Phil inherited it. Pivoting the brand is like turning a cruise ship. Shit takes time. It's clear that Microsoft is focused on beefing up Xbox Game Studios, but it will be at least a few years until those efforts really start bearing fruit in the form of quality exclusives.

I get what you're saying. But Phil's has time after don left and it seems like it's the same excuse as always. 'Shit takes time' they've had more than enough time to get a few none halo forza big games out the door.

What do we get? Crackdown 3.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I love how Spencer readily admits what some people on this forum swear up and down is something only "Sony fanboys" who are "bias" would say.

I love it because I think it's good for Microsoft. I want Microsoft to be successful and have a healthy Xbox business, and the first step of changing is realizing that you have to change. Microsoft has a culture that can be a little...insular, so it's good for them to be humbled a bit and to have a leader who can see the truth and isn't afraid to say it, either.

I'm glad that they're re-dedicating themselves to first party game development, because for a while it seemed like they were kind of ambivalent toward Xbox. Of course, I'd prefer game announcements to studio acquisition announcements, but these things take time.

If Xbox One is their "PS3," I can't wait to see their PS4.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Similar to what I said in the other thread, any game can have its fans. I for one LOVE recore. But having an overall "higher quality" brand is just better for everyone. Even if your favorite games this gen have been CD3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay. Such a move is going to be great to see.
I agree, except for Sea of Thieves, because it's a GAAS, so its quality at launch isn't really important. Rainbow Six: Siege has a metascore of 73, Destiny has 76. If Sea of Thieves becomes one of the best multiplayer game available, its metascore won't matter.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That's very honest of him and also very true. With exceptions though. I loved Sunset Overdrive, Gears 4 and Ori is just the best really. I hope we get to see some very nice big budget AAA games from MS that could directly "compete" with Sony's offerings. That's gonna take several years though.

Who knows what The Initiative has cooking and of course Playground's first open world RPG. Which still hasn't been confirmed that it's Fable.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, except for Sea of Thieves, because it's a GAAS, so its quality at launch isn't really important. Rainbow Six: Siege has a metascore of 73, Destiny has 76. If Sea of Thieves becomes one of the best multiplayer game available, its metascore won't matter.

If...Sea of Thieves...becomes?

I hate to break it to you, but SoT came out like a year and a half ago, and it didn't exactly light the world on fire the way Destiny or Siege did, and I never see anyone talk about it.

That ship has sailed. Maybe quality at launch is important.

I hope Rare isn't shackled to trying to turn that ship around (woo, naval puns) forever.

Who knows what The Initiative has cooking and of course Playground's first open world RPG. Which still hasn't been confirmed that it's Fable.

Nothing could make me less interested in Playground's open world RPG than Microsoft slapping the Fable IP on it. So I'm sure they will.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If...Sea of Thieves...becomes?

I hate to break it to you, but SoT came out like a year and a half ago, and it didn't exactly light the world on fire the way Destiny or Siege did, and I never see anyone talk about it.

That ship has sailed. Maybe quality at launch is important.

Nothing could make me less interested in Playground's open world RPG than Microsoft slapping the Fable IP on it. So I'm sure they will.

Why though? It would be understandable for MS to give Fable another chance. And who knows, it could be Fable only in just the name and have PG's own ideas and stuff.

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like Phil says this every year. I'll take it with a grain of salt till I see results. Sounds like PR speak to me.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Microsoft are righting the ship, and next gen will be a lot better for them should they be serious about giving their teams the time and investment needed to make things work.

For a good chunk of this generation it feels like they were suffering from cuts, studios being shut down, etc at the exact time when it shouldn't have happened. If the first party Microsoft of the late 2000s didn't go through cutbacks, they probably would be in the same position as they are now getting back to.

They've got talented teams now, it's just a question of what they make and if it resonates with us.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an Xbox fan and first-party has been a disappointment to me for the most part. I'm looking forward to next gen.

Disagree. Elite controller is hand down the best controller this gen.
Steam Controller was this gen. Gyro, touch pad with roller ball haptic feel, and deep customization with steam input.