• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So despite being a sci fi and comedy fan, a connoisseur of Carrel and Mike Judge and despite being stuck at home for months, obsessed with the cosmic comic significance of Trump's utterly asinine Space Force- I haven't heard of this till this exact second.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This thing always felt a bit rushed.

Like, Trump announced Space Force, then in like a week, this show was announced.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Almost finished it now, Malkovich is easily the best thing about it. Definitely picks up a bit in the middle but still basically a 5/10 show :\

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
After watching Upload on Amazon (another Greg Daniels show) I was starting to strongly suspect Daniels works best when with another showrunner. It almost lands but not quite and has the same issues with being too broad comedically and jokes aren't earned. I enjoyed it as a slight easy watch so I suspect I'll enjoy spaceforce as a background show but I was pretty prepared for this. Hopefully he'll get some wittier writers in the room for season 2 of both shows and they'll find their groove but if not don't expect much more than dated, stale and occasionally chuckle worthy

Upload really works for me while what I've seen of this doesn't. The reviewers seem to back that up, generally. Still, if it ended up being on the level of Upload, I'd be pretty happy.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed but not surprised. Was really looking forward to it but I thought the trailer was terrible.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Disappointing. So much promise but the trailer totally nullified it to me. I think the main problem is actually the look. It's too glossy and over produced and frankly I don't think comedy works very well when it has such high production values tied to a glossy look. Would have been much better handheld fly on the wall Office style dealing with this kind of topic.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Upload really works for me while what I've seen of this doesn't. The reviewers seem to back that up, generally. Still, if it ended up being on the level of Upload, I'd be pretty happy.
Don't get me wrong I was happy with Upload but it's nowhere near the level of the office, parks and rec or even the good place. It's fine for a slightly forgettable broad comedy but it's not exactly what I expected for Daniels. While Spaceforce may end up reviewing worse Upload didn't exactly set the world on fire. I expect Upload will probably end up as the slightly preferred show of the two though

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like we need to give some of these shows more time, how many comedies really hit their stride in the first season? Some of my favourites in the past had really rough starts so I'm willing to give this a shot

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My review if anyone's interested:

www.flickeringmyth.com

Netflix Review - Space Force

Shaun Munro reviews the first season of Netflix’s Space Force… Netflix’s new sci-fi comedy series Space Force sees Greg Daniels, the creator of the U.S. version of The Office, re-team with that series’ star Steve Carell for a topical space-themed satire that, for all the talents of its cast...

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'm currently on ep 3. It's not very funny but it's okay enough that I am able to veg out to it. I like the production quality. Parks and Rec and the office both have terrible first seasons so I'm willing to give a Daniels show a little longer to ease into itself.

One thing is that it has a few too many recognizable faces. Takes me out of the show

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Second episode got to me. Especially after losing Apollo not so long ago. Not sure I even want to like the show now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Upload is his best first season of a live action show lol, they're always rough

Well, when you consider that Greg Daniels had nothing to do with Parks and Rec after season 1, that might have something to do with its sudden jump in quality.
That ain't true, he wasn't showrunning but he still had input and occasionally directed

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the first episode and audibly laughed at a few jokes. It's not going to set the world on fire, but I was entertained.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching it and man.

I dont think I've ever wanted something so bad to be good but I eventually gave up in the middle of episode 3.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the first episode. I never laughed once. I smiled a couple of time. I don't remember any recent series that I was tempted to see and had such a disappointing first episode. I don't know if I will continue watching this.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
This is rough. It is so dry. So many good performers and an interesting concept. Yet not a hint of a laugh.

Also, seeing Fred Willard in this just makes me sad.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i've watched 3 episodes. it's really not good or funny. i think i laughed once and i love steve carell. he's the only good thing about the show.

i have nothing else to watch at the moment so i might watch another couple episodes.

Oct 27, 2017
Little nervous to watch this; I'm one of the (apparently very) few people that didn't love Upload (it just feels incredibly awkward, and the finale was some real cheesy shit), and Office is my favorite sitcom of all time.

I remember thinking during the trailer, when Steve was singing "Kokomo" for like 30 seconds, "is this the joke?"

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
First episode was pretty great.

I'm scared for the other episodes based on reviews and impressions here.

Haha Greg Daniel's first season woes are a fair statement.
Whats crazy is his first seasons usually age pretty well once the shows past the 2-4 seasons mark.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First episode, really enjoying it so far. Reminds me a lot of Parks and Rec.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has watched this can they comment on the age group that should watch this? My 12 year old is a big Office and Parks fan and I'm wondering if this is ok for her or is it more adult themed?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Avenue 5 is amazing, even Josh Gad was surprisingly not bad. Space Force though, suffers from bad writing and silly and unfunny jokes that I'm not sure I can finish it.
It's obvious they rushed this.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first couple episodes and I personally found it hilarious though it does have some dry parts.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching this while I browse my phone. Genuinely not funny, but there are some golden moments here and there but no solid joke or punchline.

Ben Schwartz is playing the most Ben Schwartz character ever. And I'm fascinated by his suit game in the show.

Hopefully season 2 finds the footing it needs. There is potential, but as the writing goes it needs work and better jokes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kinda what i figured from previews. not LOL funny but okay enough. thought reviews would fare better but i still may check it out i dunno