• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the XSS outsell the XSX or nah

• YES

Votes: 1,720 77.0%
  • NO

Votes: 514 23.0%

• Total voters

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No, just as I expect the more expensive ps5 will sell more.

I mean we can look at the ps3, 360, wii-u. Hell even the switch, 3ds XL, n3ds xl....

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, people will pay $100 for the significantly more powerful series x

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will.

MS will market it as best they can as a next gen experience, uncompromising and technically they are right.

Series X might turn into a mid gen refresh sales wise.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely not.

The Series S will follow in the footsteps of cheaper launch models like the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. Marketing be damned, people will see this as a lesser version of the same thing even if the price difference is tempting.

Typically also the early adopters are more inclined to better technology which will put the balance in the SX's favour.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think you can call XSX the "primary console".
I honestly have my doubts. For next gen, Series X and PS5 are the baseline, with Series S essentially occupying a weird in-between gen space. The Series S might perform well in the first 1-2 years when the majority of games are cross gen with PS4/XBONE anyway, but when games shift fully next gen 2-3 years from now the Series S is going to seem ancient. Especially if the PS5 and Series X get price drops and/or Pro versions, and the rumored Switch Pro becomes a reality, sales of the Series S are going to drop like a rock.
Yup.

This is the issue. I keep sensing a One S, One X scenario. How much can be scaled between the 2 without it causing issues will be key.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I can tell you that the series S is so compelling that I'm strongly considering getting one instead of the X.

Oct 30, 2017
The thread title isn't "will the XSS outsell the XSX at launch?"
It can help set the tone, I think.

It's hard to say what narrative will come about for the SS. But there is definitely a chance that it's not seen as a real next gen upgrade and more of a half step.

I don't think the mid gen refreshes are a proper indicator, either.

The PS4 Pro and 1X definitely gave off an extraneous vibe of not necessary to the experience.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The Series S will absolutely sell more than Series X overall. The only question is by how much.

It's $200 less, attractively small, and few of its target audience will even care that it's all-digital thanks to Game Pass.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
What sells better, the iPhone11 or iPhone 11 Pro?

That should tell you exactly how XSS vs XSX would go?

According to a quick google search: "The standard iPhone 11 model led the way with an impressive 39% of sales while the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max followed with 15% each.". Looks like cheaper price prevailed, 39% to 30% of the sales.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So, another thing to consider. I wonder how lopsided digital games and physical games will be next gen. Isn't 50/50 now? 70/30 soon?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the market. I think the S will do really well in countries where consoles are expensive and possibly in Japan where price, game pass and physical size might be appealing.

Else where the X will lead sales especially in markets that have the option to pay by instalments. Getting the best console on the market with the Netflix of games for 35$ a month is super appealing. There is nothing that matches that value.
S is DOA in Japan. No one cares about Xbox there and the Japanese market is still very into physical media, the lack of a disc drive makes it a non-starter there.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Will it though considering it's $10/month upsell on All Access? I mean it "should" considering the pricing, and will be especially useful as "2nd console" for PS5 users, but with the 0 interest monthly pricing, I am not so sure. Talking about only the "global" (hah) all access locations. The rest of the world, S should sell better.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that's right? I can't find anything recent but there was an estimate that at the end of 2019 that 4K TVs had reached a 50% adoption rate

That estimate assumed all 4k TV sales went to houses without 4K, which obviously isn't true. Clearly some 4K tvs are sold to homes that already have 4K. That said, I suspect that you are right that the USA is right around 50/50 (I bet international is less).

Regardless, as others have noted, basically all decent TVs are 4k now, so it's not all like these homes are buying these TVs because they want 4k. It's just pretty much the default option now if you need a new TV. I really don't think most consumers give a shit about 4k.

That said, I care about 4k gaming so I'll be buying the XSX and PS5.

desertstrike

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2020
As long as the S plays the same games, the S will sell more. Nobody outside enthusiasts cares About 4K 60 FPS.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
It's cheaper, of course. I would consider getting my first XBOX. When the price is right (here), I would buy this along with the PS5.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Clearly will with the 200 USD gap.

Game Pass for the masses!

Series X appeal still seems limited until Halo lands or Cyberpunk gets a properly enhanced version released.

dreamer3kx

Oct 27, 2019
I think this console is targeting the younger Fortnite players, parents arent upgrading, I say no.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured I would have to wait/spend the premium for the Series X, but with the S having the specs it does at that price, I think I'm going that route.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Launch window: XSX > XSS
Through the end of 2021 (and beyond): XSS > XSX

Well see though. Both seem like great products for the price.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If it had a disc drive it would. As of now it renders backward compatibility to zero for a ton of consumers who don't do a majority of their purchases in digital.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Series S is going to sell loads because of the mainstream then it means it can and will outsell PS5. By saying that people are predicting Xbox to sell more hardware than PS5 next-gen?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people think pricing is that huge a factor. Weaker specs and all digital is a big turn off for a lot of people. I think X will sell better.