• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Over the past 12 months ending March 31, 2021.

PlayStation Game & Network Division:
~$25.04 billion revenue
(~$3.23 profit)

Microsoft Gaming:
~$15 revenue
(??? profit)
You forgot Nintendo.

Nintendo was at $13.4b end of December, with 3 months still to go (we should get final results in May). Nintendo forecasting $3.8b profit for the year.

All three platform holders on fire.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot Nintendo.

Nintendo was at $13.4b end of December, with 3 months still to go (we should get final results in May). Nintendo forecasting $3.8b profit for the year.

All three platform holders on fire.
pswii60

68960314d44515bc0f6fbc95da87c114.gif

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Over the past 12 months ending March 31, 2021.

PlayStation Game & Network Division:
~$25.04 billion revenue
(~$3.23 profit)

Microsoft Gaming:
~$15 billion revenue
(??? profit)
Curious about Microsoft's profitability. I know Epic wasn't profitable due to exclusive deals to the Epic Game Store. Wouldn't shock me if the combination of GamePass deals and Series S manufacturing costs netted them close to zero profit.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Instead of the console launch slump, PlayStation moved a ton of money. Digital game sales and strong software sales for aging generation have really transformed gaming industry.

PS4 hardware sales are crawling, and pricedrop for $300 base and $400 Pro are still nowhere in sight. At this time in its lifecycle PS2 was ~$130 if I remember correctly, and GoW2 was still not released. PS4 total sales have finally fallen behind PS2, and they will stay there.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic read! Thank you OP! :)

Achieving the sheer profits they have in a console launch year (With Covid as well!) is incredible, provided they aim for sustainable spending they'll be sitting comfortable for a good while, which seems to be the plan.

I remembered that Sony are giving all their employees a big bonus to help them through Covid, will that be covered under the forecast? (I might have missed it if that was the case)

Regarding acquisitions, I'm at the "Who knows?" stage. If there's any it'll likely be something more service-focused rather than a developer as they can probably keep partnerships going.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
$18bn over 3 years isn't a lot at current gaming valuations. Especially since most of that will probably be used by other divisions.

As i said don't expect them to go on a big spending tour.

Indeed anything can happen.

On a completely unrelated note not related to acquisitions at all, I'd just like to say how much I appreciate Sony's partnerships with Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arrowhead, Haven, Sumo Digital, Kadokawa (From Soft), ProbablyMonsters (Firewalk), Remedy, Lucid and more. I hope these organic partnerships continue and are prosperous.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Planning on spending $18 billion in acquisitions. I hope a good chunk of that is for PS.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Yeah smaller stuff could be possible but this report basically rules out big acquisitions (Square, Capcom etc.) like some people on here we're hoping for.

It really depends on a lot of things.

1. They spend more than 13B USD for the last mid-term, so they might spend more than 18B USD for the next.
2. If a publisher make sense for all divisions, it's a possibility.
3. Companies can pay in other ways, not only in cash.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It really depends on a lot of things.

1. They spend more than 13B USD for the last mid-term, so they might spend more than 18B USD for the next.
2. If a publisher make sense for all divisions, it's a possibility.
3. Companies can pay in other ways, not only in cash.

So just to clarify this 18 billion dollars is only straight cash out of their pocket? So if Sony were to utilize something like stock or utilize a loan for an acquisition then that wouldn't be factored into this figure?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Every time I see stuff like this I remember that I could have bought a good number of Sony shares when it was $12-15/share. Got really close to pulling the trigger but then had an unforeseen large expense put me in debt. Fuck.

Fantastic results.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Every time I see stuff like this I remember that I could have bought a good number of Sony shares when it was $12-15/share. Got really close to pulling the trigger but then had an unforeseen large expense put me in debt. Fuck.

Fantastic results.

Same here. Only I had no money... and had no idea how to do it. lol

I am tempted to dump a good chunk of cash on stock right now and let it just sit there for a decade or more and see where that takes me. So much effort to figure out how to buy stock tho :(

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; History of the Same
Its funny seeing people on ERA downplaying the importance of exclusives and first party content all the time when data paints quite a clear picture.

Just wait once a certain first party finally shows up to the next gen games party exclusive software will be important again.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan keeps winning, literally "the best of" everything for PlayStation under his leadership.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus that's a good OP.

PlayStation continues to be a beast. And the last year is without a doubt one of their best from a software and hardware point of view. Launching a console in a pandemic. Launching TLoU2, GoT, Spider-Man MM, Demons Souls, Astrobot, Sackboy and more in a pandemic. Numbers back-up the output.

It's funny when I look back at the launch of PS4, Sony had the better console by a distance but they didn't have the software output they have now. They're firing on all cylinders.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Planning on spending $18 billion in acquisitions. I hope a good chunk of that is for PS.
I...dont :-/
At least not in terms of big publishers. Something like Insomniac where you have a very close partner known for PS only content is one thing...but buying big multi plattform publishers would be another bummer after Bethesda.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those scalpers really buying those games to justify their prices

/s

Congrats Sony, where is my PS5 though :(

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Great results overall for the industry.
What's funny is seeing PlayStation on to of both revenue and profit on Sony side but on aquisition part there is only evo

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I...dont :-/
At least not in terms of big publishers. Something like Insomniac where you have a very close partner known for PS only content is one thing...but buying big multi plattform publishers would be another bummer after Bethesda.

Sony are all-in on this organic growth strategy from what we've seen so far. Off the top of my head:

1. Pretty much all the PlayStation Studios teams have been massively increasing their headcount over the past couple of years and some are rumored to be working on multiple projects
2. Utilizing their network of existing partner studios for first party games like Bluepoint, Housemarque, Sumo Digital and more
3. Forming new partnerships and relations with brand new studios like Haven and Firewalk Studios, not unlike to what they did with KojiPro.

With points 2 and 3 it's much more than just tossing some money at a third party and saying "make me game XYZ". Those partner studios get to utilize the developmental pipeline of PlayStation Studios and their resources to aid in development of their titles, just like a first party studio would. One of the benefits here is that Sony gets to see just how efficient these studios are, what their work culture is like and how well they fit with the PlayStation Studios family. At the same time those studios get a taste of what it's like to be a PlayStation first party studio and the type of support and freedom they're given. If both organizations really enjoy working with one another and produce quality titles then that makes it all the easier to attempt an acquisition.

IMO that's a wonderful way of conducting business. It ensures both parties are very happy working with one another and sure that their work cultures will meld together if an acquisition should occur. It also helps to weed out potential bad acquisitions that could lead to disaster or even studio closures. It's not a perfect system, but I like it all the same.

That's not to say Sony won't try to randomly acquire a company that they don't have an extensive background with. Last year they were interested in acquiring Leyou and they don't have any real past relationship to speak of. I'm very curious to see how things go with Sony and their partner studios going forward. I have to imagine at least some will be acquired, with Bluepoint and Housemarque being the most logical picks.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
What is the explanation or do you have any idea the why it is that even if their best years revenue-wise Sony is stuck below 15% income/revenue ratio while other actors of this industry often achieve higher ratio during their prime years? I mean that I understand that this exact year it is affected by the new platform launch but even during the best years of PS4 this seemed like a hard cap for them, their strongest year seems to be FY18 with 13.4%. This year it is 12.9% and their forecast for next year is below 12%.

For example in their previous full fiscal year reported Activision Blizzard achieved 34%, Nintendo 27%, EA 26%.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
This tweet in particular piqued my interest.

This is insane!
Last year, SIE released Part II, Ghost, Miles and Demon's for God sake.
What are they planning to release this fiscal year to grow the sales?
Could Ragnarok be planned for this fiscal year (ending March 31st 2022)?
Could it be TLoU PII ray-mastered?
Factions?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
if they keep this up, they might start hitting nintendo level profits this gen

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
This tweet in particular piqued my interest.

This is insane!
Last year, SIE released Part II, Ghost, Miles and Demon's for God sake.
What are they planning to release this fiscal year to grow the sales?
Could Ragnarok be planned for this fiscal year (ending March 31st 2021)?
Could it be TLoU PII ray-mastered?
Factions?

my bet is Horizon + what they are planning for TLOU, I don't think just one of them would be enough