Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Wonder how much Demon's Souls PS5 current LTD...

I wish we knew if it is part of the million seller group, which I am sure it is! That would give Demon's Souls an attach rate of one copy for every eight PlayStation 5 consoles sold.

I really hope Returnal ends up passing one million copies this year, as the more I see from this game, the more I want it to be a success story.

As for ArmGunar, wow, you continue to defy my expectations of these quarterly threads ... 😊

Kinda incredible how these kinds of threads are just so perfect to update my ignore list.

I find this thread to be quite tame to be honest. I've participated in far worse before.

The doom and gloom fears should hopefully subside by now lol.

tenor.gif

Jun 23, 2019
Amazing thread as always ArmGunar. I think there's no doubt by now who the actual market leader is. I'm curious to see Sony thinking they are going to make more money this year than last year with their first party titles. What could Sony have in mind that could beat out last year's smorgasbord?

Oct 27, 2017
www.bloombergquint.com

Sony Plans $1.8 Billion Buyback As Profit Misses Estimates

Sony Plans $1.8 Billion Buyback After Profit Misses Estimates
so this headline is a lie?

Uh. I know Bloomberg is written from a financial market centric point of view, but focusing the headline on some analyst being disappointed by their own estimations for Q4 specifically, when SIE and Sony put their biggest revenue and income ever for the whole fiscal year is... a choice, I guess.

That's more like it.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Outstanding work ArmGunar. You really do put tremendous effort into these reports.

And great to see concrete numbers. Seems to be a hard thing to come by these days.

I swear, I feel like every single thread on this are always like "best year/quarter ever" for like the past 7 years lol

I know, it's insane lol

Spider-man ps4 sold like 20 million copies, right? Miles Morales will keep on selling as more people get PS5. It's evergreen title now.

Also, ps5 exclusive games cost $70 now.

It's kinda crazy to see Sony have multiple evergreen titles now. That used to be the realm of only Nintendo.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Unless Nintendo shipped more than 4.3 million units for Q4, this will be the first time in seven quarters that Sony has won a shipment quarter (Q1 2019; PS4: 3.2M Switch: 2.1M).

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
PS4's drop-off in sales is likely engineered by Sony. They are just making less of them and putting the focus on making more PS5's instead. If they ship less and don't drop the price, people will naturally pivot towards wanting the PS5 more, especially when it's already a hot ticket item.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious about Microsoft's profitability. I know Epic wasn't profitable due to exclusive deals to the Epic Game Store. Wouldn't shock me if the combination of GamePass deals and Series S manufacturing costs netted them close to zero profit.
if they made much of a profit at all, they would have reported it.

Jan 20, 2019
PS5 is at 8M, consider that Demon's Souls has been in the top10 ps5 since the release, with a 10 to 15% attach rate(worst case scenario for this early one) the sales should be between 800k and 1.2M, so yah, it probably is already at 1M.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
ArmGunar amazing job with the thread as always. It boggles my mind how you do this every time, but I do thank you for breaking it down so nicely for us

Sony is out there just destroying it

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Nice, all three major hardware suppliers look to be doing well. Probably the first time in history this market seems to be very prosperous all around.

what's good to hear is Sony is making as many systems as they possibly can

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah smaller stuff could be possible but this report basically rules out big acquisitions (Square, Capcom etc.) like some people on here we're hoping for.
Yes they can if they wanted to. The same way you can buy a house you don't have the money to right this second, companies can take out loans.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Completely anecdotal, but I feel like Wario64 tweets at least 2 or 3 times a day that either the XBox Series S or X is in stock SOMEWHERE, while it seems like he maybe tweets about PS5's being in stock at a retailer level maybe 2 times a week and whenever the Playstation Direct opens up again. Combined with how many units they are selling, it's telling a strange picture- they seemingly are doing fairly large re-stocks to stores, but they just VANISH the instant they are put on sale. Complete insanity.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean. The last few weeks showed some short comings. And the shitstorm prevented stuff like closing the store(for now). But people always said nothing is jimbos fault but at the same time give him credit for anything. Like nani?

LMAO Jim is extremely hated here. What are you talking about?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
PS5 is doing amazingly. I don't even want to think about how insane the demand will be with Returnal, RE8, and Ratchet: Rift Apart on the brink of release

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you coming from an alternate dimension? In this place everything is his fault and none of the good news (like PS5 sales) is his credit

Imo you can't have it both ways. If you give the man credit that ps5 is selling well that's fine but at the same time you cant say "the shortcomings" aint his fault. The same the other way around.

Oct 27, 2017
I would just like to say what a great OP this is and to thank ArmGunar for posting it

Great results for Sony and they really have become a well diversified company. I remember when the Financial Services Division was seemingly the only thing keeping them afloat

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Job well done, Sony. Looking forward to Returnal and new Ratchet on Day 1!

Thanks as always ArmGunar - your breakdowns are the best kind of information overload. =)

The doom and gloom fears should hopefully subside by now lol.

That should subside for a week, maybe 10 days tops when Microsoft announces something for GamePass and people spin in a tizzy.

Well, maybe a few days longer since Returnal is launching this week.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, even with insane shortages, it's a little ahead of the PS4's sales launch aligned. I'm honestly wondering who the fuck is getting them because I can't get my hands on any of them 😭

Also those PS4 sales, are those for the entire FY? If so, I guess I wasn't wrong for thinking that the PS4's sales would fall off massively once the PS5 comes out, especially since folk could just play those PS4 games but better on PS5 anyways

May 12, 2020
Damn, even with insane shortages, it's a little ahead of the PS4's sales launch aligned. I'm honestly wondering who the fuck is getting them because I can't get my hands on any of them 😭

Also those PS4 sales, are those for the entire FY? If so, I guess I wasn't wrong for thinking that the PS4's sales would fall off massively once the PS5 comes out, especially since folk could just play those PS4 games but better on PS5 anyways

Setup some Twitter alerts, that's how I got mines.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
4.3M units for a single console in Q4 (Jan-March) is a lot.
I wouldn't be so sure NSW have sold as much.
I'm pretty confident that it did. Sell-through estimates put it way up YoY in the USA and flat in Japan, and this time supply doesn't seem as tight as it was last year. Anyway, PS5 sold 3.3m last quarter, not 4.3m.

Oct 25, 2017
This is OD for a $500 system tbh. I'm glad I paid $100 for mine but wow to all the brave souls paying full price. It really puts that $70 game pricing into perspective.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is interesting how so many people on here put Sony down cause they dont have a true Game Pass equivalent. They talk about how much they need to get a Game Pass competitor on Sony Consoles. Meanwhile, Sony sets an industry record for Revenue generated during a fiscal year.

These consoles are all doing different things, and they are all doing them well. Would I love a Game Pass equivalent on PlayStation? Of course! However, the bottom line at PlayStation says they dont need it do anything like that at all!

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think it is interesting how so many people on here put Sony down cause they dont have a true Game Pass equivalent. They talk about how much they need to get a Game Pass competitor on Sony Consoles. Meanwhile, Sony sets an industry record for Revenue generated during a fiscal year.

These consoles are all doing different things, and they are all doing them well. Would I love a Game Pass equivalent on PlayStation? Of course! However, the bottom line at PlayStation says they dont need it do anything like that at all!
If anything it would hurt the bottom line

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to Sony.

I'm curious on how much of that micro transaction stuff falls squarely on FIFA.

I know that the spending per player in that game, digitally, is always monstrous.