vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sitting here enjoying some popcorn and some great news that PlayStation is healthier than ever. I very much am looking forward to what the PS5 has to offer over the next several years.

Also, thank you as always ArmGunar for your spectacular threads.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Great job on the thread.

It's insane PS+ increased that much year-on-year. I feel like its got so much better since the launch of the PS5 and that indie partnership seems to be great generating WoM.

• PlayStation Software & Services reached an all-time high of $4.19B Revenue in Q4 FY20 (Jan-Mar) ; +21.0% YoY
    • Previous Q4 record was $3.57B Revenue in Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)

This is going to sound super silly and chances are its probably almost worth nothing, but is there a way to see revenue from PS3/PSP/PSV or legacy in general?

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Great to see Sony doing so well. As always, I would be curious about individual software sales numbers like Nintendo releases for titles. I imagine they would be really good.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Record profit while launching a new console, and their outlook look strong as ever.
And ofc informative thread as always ArmGunar. Really appreciate the effort you put into these.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see them turn a profit in a year where they launched a console. That can only bode well for future investments and the first few years of the console (which we're seeing already with their planned output).

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Good on Sony. Nice record profits in the Division. Glad to see all 3 major gaming console players at least generating revenue, even if profits aren't shown theough out. At least we can say for now all 3 faming models are making money, Nintendo's hybrid, Sony with cutting edge tech and MS with the GP model

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I guess the PS4 will end up in the low 120s before discontinuation? Good run!

Sony could have gone for a higher, much higher sales figure, had they decided to slash the price on the console the last couple of years. Instead, they opted for a healthy balance between market share and profitability. Smart move. Also, Playstation represents close to a third of Sony's revenues/profits, so expect the company to fight tooth and nail to maintain trajectory throughout the generation.

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Digital ratio : 79% (up from 68% - Q4 FY19)

With figures like these, it kinda shows that the sales charts we get are useless when they don't include digital data. Thinking specifically of the PAL/Media Create ones. We're really not getting the full picture. It's the same with Nintendo sales tbf as they don't disclose digital sales for whatever reason.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Great job on the thread.

It's insane PS+ increased that much year-on-year. I feel like its got so much better since the launch of the PS5 and that indie partnership seems to be great generating WoM.

This is going to sound super silly and chances are its probably almost worth nothing, but is there a way to see revenue from PS3/PSP/PSV or legacy in general?

Those werent disclosed for a few years now afaIk

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Missed estimates on the bottom line and guidance is a bit conservative but atleast they announced $1.8b in buybacks

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
These numbers are insane, Playstation is setting record for basically everything lmao

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Sony could have gone for a higher, much higher sales figure, had they decided to slash the price on the console the last couple of years. Instead, they opted for a healthy balance between market share and profitability. Smart move. Also, Playstation represents close to a third of Sony's revenues/profits, so expect the company to fight tooth and nail to maintain trajectory throughout the generation.

I wonder if we see a final final re-design of the PS4 like they did with PS3 after the launch of the PS4 (PS3 super slim)

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So they made 3 bill + despite the absurd R&D costs of a new console and probably taking a loss per sale. What the fuck..

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Over $25 billion in revenue just for PlayStation. Damn.

Craziest statistic to me is that 17% of all software sales are first party. That is insane given the consoles library is like 95% multiplatform.

People really are investing PlayStation systems now for Sony first party games.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
2021 will be another beast year, just wait until they start releasing their big franchise games.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
So they made 3 bill + despite the absurd R&D costs of a new console and probably taking a loss per sale. What the fuck..
They are indeed taking a loss on every sale, but making it up in their software and service sectors. Crazy performance by PlayStation.
I believe in Jim Ryan.

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming we have consoles the generation after this one, I don't think we'll be seeing consoles with disc drives. They're going to be all digital, most likely. The fact that physical software only accounted for 5% of all revenue and continuously falling year after year, by the time we're done with this generation, don't be surprised if we see physical software only accounting for 1% or even less of all revenue for Sony.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Great job on the thread.

I've been very happy that they start to have day 1 new game again. those games might not be my kind of games, but I like that it's something that I didn't have before. should be the way forward imo.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation be talking to Sony like:

latest

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming we have consoles the generation after this one, I don't think we'll be seeing consoles with disc drives. They're going to be all digital, most likely. The fact that physical software only accounted for 5% of all revenue and continuously falling year after year, by the time we're done with this generation, don't be surprised if we see physical software only accounting for 1% or even less of all revenue for Sony.

As long as their is support for an external drive. It would really suck for people to lose access for their ps4 and ps5 library.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Do we have a graph of the results for Sony overall, including the share of PlayStation in the company in 2020 please?

Good job ArmGunar 🙏🏻

Oct 27, 2017
As long as their is support for an external drive. It would really suck for people to lose access for their ps4 and ps5 library.

Yeah, I would hate to see this, as I prefer physical, but the rate at which digital is accelerating....yeah, it doesn't look good. But yeah, like you said, if we go disc-less in the future, I hope there is support for external drives.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves physical games, I sadly must agree. 6 or 7 years from now with similar growth with digital will see Sony and MS not care enough to continue with a disc drive anymore.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just incredible results. For me the most impressive part has to be Sony's 1st party sales, they're just growing at a staggering rate. They're quickly becoming one of the juggernauts of the industry. They might not be able to rival Nintendo just yet but it's incredible how much ground they've gained.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
PlayStation Results finished !

Sorry it was long, and Sony adjusted up some software numbers, I didn't see it
I corrected some typo too

I will do Sony Corp results now