• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 15, 2019
Yeah this industry consolidation really sucks. Also damn they're expensive for basically only having 1 ip. Can't believe they cost about half of what Bethesda did.

At least they're staying multiplatform though so that's already better than Microsoft if they actually do stay completely multiplatform.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, with it all staying multi-plat, this just seems like it helps Sony two ways:
1. Ensures that Microsoft doesn't snap up all the top AAA multiplayer FPS
2. Bungie devs can assist with Sony-exclusive MP games

Bungie won the deal but Sony at least gets something out of it.

With all the freedom in this deal at first glance it definitely seems like 'devpower' is the key to this acquisition. Maybe they have tech and expertise other studios can benefit from.

Still feels weird, wasn't there that other fps studio Sony were significantly investing in? Unless if Destiny revenues are enough to recoup investment.

I feel the protectionist point is something we'll only understand years down the line. Like I can't imagine you drop $3.6bn out of panic without months of lead in.

Yeah this industry consolidation really sucks. Also damn they're expensive for basically only having 1 ip. Can't believe they cost about half of what Bethesda did.

At least they're staying multiplatform though so that's already better than Microsoft if they actually do stay completely multiplatform.

I don't know if Microsoft saw the future or inadvertently hit the dominos with that purchase, but my lord it looks better and better with retrospect. Fallout and Elder Scrolls alone could've sustained a platform as exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
Markets seems disappointed after this announcement...

eKvHqpR.png

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
About to open up an independent game studio so I can be acquired for much more than I'm actually worth

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This seems very overpriced. That's like half of Zenimax, and Zenimax has some amazing studios and IPs--which aren't remaining multiplatform.

I see it like this:

1. Destiny 2 still makes a lot of money and people do still care about it.
2. They are still one of the FPS devs in the game.
3. This gives Sony a real, honest to god high end FPS dev that they've been needing for a long time.
4. Allowing Bungie to still publish how and where they want with nothing being PS-exclusive is a win-win-win for Bungie, Sony and the customer.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Ew, another one. And 2022 just started.

At least they seem to stay independent and can publish their game wherever they want. For now.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My impression is that on the face of it this isn't as big of a move as Bethesda or Activision and doesn't have the same kind of implications. At the moment Bungie only really makes Destiny, which will probably continue to remain multiplat given the agreement.

But, there probably is some greater reasoning or advantage to it that I'm not immediately seeing. A new bungie IP exclusive to PS5? Keeping all future Bungie games off Game Pass? Bungie helping with other Sony IPs?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Sony: "Destiny is staying multiplatform, now its your turn" *looks at COD*

I'm just kidding I think?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta do Destiny 3 before I even consider jumping back in & I know it's petty but the fact it's not exclusive makes me wholly uninterested.

I honestly hate it as a Sony fan, like you could do something really cool with that $.
With how awful the jump from Destiny 1 to 2 was, I dunno if I trust them with another sequel. They make promises that they'll fix the fundamental issues with the game that makes it difficult to add new content, and then they pull something like basically making a repeat of Destiny 1 with all of the same mistakes at launch and then some, and spend years fixing them just like with the first game.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far all the consolidation/service based stuff seems.... good overall?

I'm getting service fatigued as well, but gaming has never been more accessible with these pass services. Easier to play indies now as well.

If this eventually means something like I can play God of War on an Xbox in a few years and Playstation users can play Halo... why not?

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no how terrible for video games and anti-trust...

Actually this is pretty cool. I would like to see how this changes Bungie, hopefully for the better.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of money for a low-output dev that can still publish wherever they want.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Good move for Sony. Needed to make sure they had a multiplayer secured for their future. Really surprising they keep it multiplat though. Very different from what they usually do.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This is weird. The natural assumption would be Destiny 2 expansions stay multiplat, everything else is exclusive, but Bungie's statements seem really tightly worded against that. But there's no way Destiny is profitable enough to justify that price if there's no strategic element of taking it off of Xbox.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Purchasing Bungie for billions but allowing them to remain multiplat seems like an odd decision to say the least.

They must have future projects in the works that Sony is really confident will be big money makers. Otherwise I don't understand the point.
They are not "allowing" them to remain multiplatform. It very much sounds like there was no deal without it.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
No way this was in response to Microsoft the last couple weeks. Had to have been in the works for a while. These deals dont just happen in a flash. We might be in for a ride these next few months if Bungie is anything to go by.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Though it still wouldn't shock me if Sony bought out a third party publisher like Take-Two, Capcom, or Square-Enix as a purely defensive move.

Also, amid these corporate big dick business acquisitions, it wouldn't shock me one bit if Google or Amazon bought out a third party publisher like Ubisoft or EA to bolster their cloud gaming services. That'd be another megaton splash.
I think getting a publisher will be hard for Sony. Take Two and co would want to get the most out of the deal and this would mean they inform not just Sony about their plan to sell. I can't imagine colmpanies like Sony, Microsoft, Tencent, Google and Amazon not getting into a bidding war in the case of one of the big publishers being up for sale.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox owns PlayStation's original mascot.

Sony owns the signature dev and kickstarter of the original Xbox.

And Nintendo gives zero fucks about anything.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My impression is that on the face of it this isn't as big of a move as Bethesda or Activision and doesn't have the same kind of implications. At the moment Bungie only really makes Destiny, which will probably continue to remain multiplat given the agreement.

But, there probably is some greater reasoning or advantage to it that I'm not immediately seeing. A new bungie IP exclusive to PS5? Keeping all future Bungie games off Game Pass? Bungie helping with other Sony IPs?

Sony now gets the lion's share of all microtransaction revenue generated by Destiny and any future Bungie games, as well as having access to Bungie to support their existing and upcoming live service games from their other developers. That seems to basically be it.

It's a really confusing thing to spend 3.6 billion on. I don't get it at all.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced a deal to acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion, the latest in a string of big-ticket consolidation deals in the games industry.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio's current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play."

Why did they buy Bungie? To prevent that another big player buys Bungie and that Sony looses another FPS franchise?

Since Destiny wasn't for me, I am no friend of GaaS games and I don't like this arms race this deal does absolutely nothing for me.

And how is Bungie worth $3.6 billion?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like if you're a non-Playstation Destiny player you're still in good hands. If Destiny gets the support from Sony they need to make Destiny what they want it to be this seems like pretty good news.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
now that I have settled down a bit, 3.5 billion seems like a bit much for this deal