• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if Microsoft even tried to acquire them. Sony must have offered them something Microsoft couldn't and it seems like it was probably being its own entirety. No way the previous rumors of Microsoft attempting to buy them last year is just smoke and mirrors. Microsoft music not have wanted them enough.
Apparently there was conversations with MS. Maybe they didn't want to be a Halo studio all over again. And Sonys terms keeps them "independent" but with the security and resources of a 1st party studio

Apr 23, 2018
I am sure they tried. But I don't think Bungie would ever want to work under Microsoft again after leaving a decade ago.
The Microsoft now isn't the Microsoft of the last decade. I think at a quick glance most can notice that. But there very well could have been members of the bird who don't like Microsoft. I'm sure Sony offered them something that Microsoft couldn't. But who knows what that is.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Wonder if Microsoft even tried to acquire them. Sony must have offered them something Microsoft couldn't and it seems like it was probably being its own entirety. No way the previous rumors of Microsoft attempting to buy them last year is just smoke and mirrors. Microsoft music not have wanted them enough.
have you seen the price that bungie accepted that is way too much for just Destiny, D2 and new ip from them probably way to high for MS for that price that's like almost half a bethesda and they got 7-8 studios out of that deal.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I guess that after the Activision move, Sony was a bit nervous. It's to much for Bungie

Consider another perspective: this is more than 10x what Sony paid for Insomniac in 2019. Insomniac didn't come with any IP worth a damn, but are at least as talented a studio as Bungie.

Safe to say the market for video game acquisitions is on fire right now.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
unknown-1.png

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird acquisition. So this nets them... just the Destiny franchise? Is it really that valuable?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Is the "remaining multiplatform and ability to self-publish wherever" even enforceable? Like Sony straight up owns them, outside of their word and not looking like villains, what stops them from changing course years from now?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This actually weirdly makes sense to me. It tracks from the time they wanted to buy Leyou. Bungie is in the same camp as them being a studio with strong self-publishing and GaaS capabilities. I just never saw them as being open to be acquired, or how they justify the 3.6b being a single-IP studio, when Leyou costed 1.3b.

Last edited:

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect content for Destiny to continue to be released on Xbox but anything new will be Sony (and maybe PC) exclusive. Same strategy that MS is using.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
over-under on Destiny 3 using Guerilla's engine? Destiny has been infamous for how bad its engine is and how it's hampering its developers.
With how fast they have been releasing content recently, I think a lot of the under the hood changes they have made to the engine have them in a good spot.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they came out and said they will be multiplatform and aren't snatching up something just to take it away from others. Some other company needs to learn that. Also consolidation sucks, but this is where we're at now.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You have to wonder what other projects Bungie might be working on to warrant the purchase. I get that Destiny has its core audience but I don't think they would buy Bungie just for that IP.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I think they are struggling mightily since becoming independent. Despite what anyone says about the success the Destiny 2 is right now I don't think it is I don't think it's anywhere near where they want it to be that is due to a rash of terrible decisions made by Bungie themselves and they probably found themselves in a position where they needed help. They need a lot of help
Was wondering if this was the case and also if Sony wants easy access to folks with multiplayer game experience under their wing. For Factions and future projects.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird deal, 3.6B for an independent multi platform subsidiary? It has to be a purely defensive move because Destiny isn't that profitable, maybe the other games they have in development have potential.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Well. Okay then. Was not expecting him to sell and it's even crazier now to think that a studio like that wouldn't be under Sony of all companies. Strange times.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Them sticking to Destiny 2 sucks though since I very much would rather have them make Destiny 3 and not be as fucked up as 2 in terms of everything.

Apr 23, 2018
have you seen the price that bungie accepted that is way too much for just Destiny, D2 and new ip from them probably way to high for MS for that price that's like almost half a bethesda and they got 7-8 studios out of that deal.
But that's like a normal Tuesday for Microsoft. The destiny IP is extremely valuable and has insane potential and if the rumors of their next game being more esports friendly and akin to valorant. Sony might have bought them for a steal 10 years from now.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Given the timing, and especially the price, this feels like a panic buy.

That's half of what MS paid for allllll of Bethesda / Zenimax. Bungie are a single studio making a single game, Zenimax have multiple ongoing live service games as well as multiple studios all working on their own titles.

lol if you actually believe this. These things take months of prep.