• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 5, 2022
But them? Fuck that. Let me download the ones I bought 10 years ago.
No. You know Sony wont do that especially if there is no clear details if these classics will have trophy support or any upgrade/blockade that will prevent users to redownload classics they already own. As much as I would love Sony to do just that? You know they probably wont thus popping the balloon that is hope of us redownloading what we already bought back in the PS3 era in terms of classics.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see so much RR2 love concentrated in a single place. I need BN to bless us with classic RR and nu-RR collections (minus Unbounded).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
By far the thing I want to see the most, though who knows if Konami gives enough of a shit to sign off on them for the service. At least MGS4 was on PSNOW long enough so that gives me some hope. Yes I know that's supposedly leaving but fingers crossed that's more a licensing thing pending renewal for the new service launch.
My hope is that Konami care so little about SH that they just make a deal with Sony.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think yall are a bit too optimistic if you're expecting Series X like boosts and trophies. I'm expecting bare minimum.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm not expecting any more new PS2 games ever (at least PS2 classics) so if that program is opened up again I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Without trophies Sony are going to miss a lot of trophy hunters joining highest tier.
That would be an extremely niche market. I seriously doubt most people care that much about trophy support, especially if that support limited games in the services are prevented them from coming out entirely.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Didn't they already say new PS2 games are going to be part of this?
No confirmation of new PS2 games as far as I'm aware. Just the existing 60 or so. And given the selection of PS2 Classics is pretty similar to Xbox original games in the Xbox ecosystem….I'm not expecting more. That said there's a hundred PS2 games I'd love to see emu-ported that wouldn't necessarily be worthy of a full remaster.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Hoping that doing the PSP Syphon Filter games instead of the PS2 ports, isn't a sign that they're just going for what's easiest to emulate without problems.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
No confirmation of new PS2 games as far as I'm aware. Just the existing 60 or so. And given the selection of PS2 Classics is pretty similar to Xbox original games in the Xbox ecosystem….I'm not expecting more. That said there's a hundred PS2 games I'd love to see emu-ported that wouldn't necessarily be worthy of a full remaster.
Definitely the first I'm hearing of this. Damn, that's really disappointing if so. was really hoping to get the GOW PS2 games on there at least. :(

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the first I'm hearing of this. Damn, that's really disappointing. was really hoping to get the GOW PS2 games on there at least. :(

To be fair there isn't confirmation of anything aside from that there will be a selection of PS1, PS2 and PSP games. You would expect that they would want a level of consistency and quality around these (especially given the fact that there is now a "preservation team" within Sony) so I wouldn't rule anything out with regard to whether the PS2 games will just be the existing ones or if they will be revamped versions specifically for this service.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Worms World Party is a fantastic get. Easily one of my favourite games from back then. I got that with my PS2, and I played that more than the PS2 games I got because it was that fun.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 2

TitleId: CUSA33751_00

ConceptId: 10005100

sIUqSXFhTJWlDhFEpCQV93rH.png

Ridge Racers 2

TitleId: CUSA33741_00

ConceptId: 10005097

IgLulyUkINO73DGAu8lVMpqy.png
These two alone have me excited.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard it's weak, but what kind of stan I'd be if I abandon the redhead child?

A smart stan. Who listens to other stans.

On a more serious note, I'm mostly kidding, I just remember playing it like a decade ago and thinking "this isn't WipEout at all". There's a reason they went back to basics with Pure, and I think 2048 does a better job of the "WipEout with more combat" idea.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
To be fair there isn't confirmation of anything aside from that there will be a selection of PS1, PS2 and PSP games. You would expect that they would want a level of consistency and quality around these (especially given the fact that there is now a "preservation team" within Sony) so I wouldn't rule anything out with regard to whether the PS2 games will just be the existing ones or if they will be revamped versions specifically for this service.
Yeah, I already know to expect the bare minimum and nothing but disappointment from Sony when it comes to old games. I just would've expected for there to be some new PS2 titles here, bare minimum, especially with the way they worded things ("we're bringing PS1, PS2, and PSP Classics to the service").

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I already know to expect the bare minimum and nothing but disappointment from Sony when it comes to old games. I just would've expected for there to be some new PS2 titles here, bare minimum, especially with the way they worded things ("we're bringing PS1, PS2, and PSP Classics to the service").
They're already adding PSX games that were never offered before, I don't know why you would assume the worst here.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
How do you know this exactly?

Apr 5, 2022
They're already adding PSX games that were never offered before, I don't know why you would assume the worst here.
Because some people love friggin negativity in this darn place and only think of the worst possible outcome, that really needs to stop. Back on track though, I think the lineup will surprise us! Wanna see if we'll get some big hitters on the PSP side of things, Maverick Hunter X is a shoe-in I'm sure. Fingers crossed!

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
When it comes to older games and platforms, Sony has been pretty awful for nearly a decade now. I've always come in with the lowest possible expectations, and somehow they have consistently managed to deliver something far worse. Like, when PS2 Classics were announced for PS4, I thought the selection would end up being small, but surely Sony would deliver their own first party efforts, right? Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War 1 and 2, Ico, etc. Surely those would happen? Lol, nope. When PS1 Classic was announced, I thought surely they could deliver a decent experience there, but nope, we got games running at 25hz in the US!

I'll stop there, but yeah, Sony's track record over the past few years with older titles has been pretty abysmal, on all possible fronts. So, why I should expect things to be any different this time? Despite the pessimistic tone this comment is likely conveying, I'm actually looking for a reason to have hope here, I'm just not seeing it yet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
give me Ridge Racer V and VII along with both PSP compilations and I'll be a very happy bunny

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
When it comes to older games and platforms, Sony has been pretty awful for nearly a decade now. I've always come in with the lowest possible expectations, and somehow they have consistently managed to deliver something far worse. Like, when PS2 Classics were announced for PS4, I thought the selection would end up being small, but surely Sony would deliver their own first party efforts, right? Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War 1 and 2, Ico, etc. Surely those would happen? Lol, nope. When PS1 Classic was announced, I thought surely they could deliver a decent experience there, but nope, we got games running at 25hz in the US!

I'll stop there, but yeah, Sony's track record over the past few years with older titles has been pretty abysmal, on all possible fronts. So, why I should expect things to be any different this time? Despite the pessimistic tone this comment is likely conveying, I'm actually looking for a reason to have hope here, I'm just not seeing it yet.
People presumed the same with PS4 BC on PS5 if anyone remembers the wild interpretations around the "100 games" thing and it turned out to be a really great implementation that people were mostly happy with. This service bringing back PS1 and PSP games certainly wasn't an expectation either so maybe they've actually had a change of heart on the importance of old games and collections in the past few years.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will be available but my first thing I will play will be Jumping Flash! - the first game I ever played on my PS1.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
I know that it's probably a longshot given their track record... but I really just want to play GT 1-4 on modern hardware.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
They will have to. The PS2 classics for PS4 were abysmal compared to the PS3 era.

I just hope they improve the PS2 emulator. Currently it's based on the PS4 SKU and has no benefits on PS5. It's very barebones and lacking compared to what MS has done for SX BC.
Not only no benefits on PS5. Straight up broken on PS5. They have to improve that once it goes live.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
If the only new release for PS2 will be Ape Escape 3 then I think I'll be happy....

but in reality I do hope they get through a big chunk of the PS2 and PS1 library but my faith is low. I'd love some Tekken Tag Tournament

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder post launch how many titles will they continue to add each month? Would it follow a consistent pacing or will it be irregular?