• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do we call these games?

• Soulsbornekiro

Votes: 84 7.0%
  • Soulslike

Votes: 522 43.6%
  • Chlooter (character action looter)

Votes: 312 26.1%
  • JRPG (I picked this option because I am a monster)

Votes: 149 12.4%
  • Souls-em-up

Votes: 130 10.9%

• Total voters

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to continue to call them "From Software games"...

or if I want to be dumb, I'll say "Frloom Slooftware" games.

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Sekiro is enough of a deviation from Dark Souls and Bloodborne that it probably shouldn't be considered a Soulsborne game.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Metroidvania
Shlooter
Soulsbornekiro
Fuck it let's keep going.

4772795__e188297988ce060ed77289f0d306731a.jpg

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
People will probably just keep calling Souls-like or Soulsborne-like.

Or action-rpgs by From Software if they're being a bit more verbose.

Yes. There's less choice now.

There's only one type of build and encounter. Thus, there's only one strategy to overcome every encounter.

That's not how any of this works.gif

The lack of gear/rpg mechanics means the game can actually be better balanced than the Souls games. And from what I've seen the combat is also faster paced and more fluid.

Last edited:

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Soulslike, i always thought it was stupid that people started calling it soulsbourne when Bloodborne is literally a souls game with little mechanical changes.

Plus the soulslike implies that it's similar but not the same.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
A5ASDAg.gif

Not every damn subgenre needs to have some stupid nickname. "Dark Souls-like action RPG" is tolerable, but everything else is just plain bad.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There's less choice now.

There's only one type of build and encounter. Thus, there's only one strategy to overcome every encounter.

Uhm, this is not a Dark Souls game. There are no "builds" and they are not necessary for this kind of game.
Also there are clearly several ways to clear encounters as evident by seeing any of the preview videos.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dark Souls and Bloodborne are WRPGs since they take place in Europe. Sekiro is the only JRPG.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
A From Software game.

Or just say Souls game, Souls-like game, or anything simple like that.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I never felt like Bloodborne ever added anything significant to the genre in the first place to stop calling them Soulslikes.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is too different to be lumped together like Soulsborne. Soulsborne was only consolidated due to the systems being the same across each with differences more in focus vs unfocused game play

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's not how any of this works.gif

The lack of gear/rpg mechanics means the game can actually be better balanced than the Souls games. And from what I've seen the combat is also faster paced and more fluid.
Yes, that's the thing. They have less balancing work now because there's only one build. Which means there's less choices for players.

Uhm, this is not a Dark Souls game. There are no "builds" and they are not necessary for this kind of game.
Also there are clearly several ways to clear encounters as evident by seeing any of the preview videos.
For example, to beat the Curse-Rotten Greatwood, there are several possible ways (melee, sorcery, pyro, etc):

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Curse-Rotted+Greatwood

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro isn't an RPG, has no MP, and you don't lose shit when you die. It's not a Souls-like or Soulsborne game... Sadly.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
*scratches head* wha?
Now it's an action adventure with a fixed character that "levels up" by finding new utility items, learning new moves, upgrading his swords, or finding 4 orbs to increase his health bar.

That's a Zelda game baybee.

It still has primarily soulsike combat, but that was always just an expansion on Ocarina of Time's darknut combat anyway.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
For example, to beat the Curse-Rotten Greatwood, there are several possible ways (melee, sorcery, pyro, etc):

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Curse-Rotted+Greatwood

Yes, they need to make sure you can beat any DS3 boss with all builds. But as Sekiro is not an RPG they know what the PC can do and can better fine tune the encounters to match his capabilities. Also for regular encunters you can choose between a more stealthy approach, to directly face them, what tools to use, what Jinjitsu you want to equip, etc.

Again it's a different genre. You're also not complaining that Mario doesn't have different builds, right?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Let's just go ahead and remove the borne out of that name. At least you're not like the monsters that spell it "bourne". That makes me twitch.