What do we call these games?

• Soulsbornekiro

Votes: 84 7.0%
  • Soulslike

Votes: 522 43.6%
  • Chlooter (character action looter)

Votes: 312 26.1%
  • JRPG (I picked this option because I am a monster)

Votes: 149 12.4%
  • Souls-em-up

Votes: 130 10.9%

• Total voters

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, title is about From games, poll is about the subgenre. Which are we talking about?

To me all From games in this style are "Souls games", although with Sekiro that seems to be stretching pretty thin.

The subgenre is Soulslike.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genre is harmful to game design. I'll refer to Souls as "Souls", Bloodborne as "Bloodborne", and Sekiro as "Sekiro".

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
This all the way.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
None of them, because Sekiro is basically Tenchu with more monsters and a better combat system. At least, that's how I'll be approaching it.

(I chose "Soulslike" because it's the least horrible of the available choices, but it's still not really correct, I feel.)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, title is about From games, poll is about the subgenre. Which are we talking about?

To me all From games in this style are "Souls games", although with Sekiro that seems to be stretching pretty thin.

The subgenre is Soulslike.

Yep.

Souls and Bloodborne are ARPG games. Sekiro appears to be an Action Adventure game.

The Souls games are action adventure games with RPG elements. If that makes them "RPGs", it only does so when you play really loose with the genres like how a lot of modern not RPGs are being called RPGs. Similarly like how Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 are considered ARPGs as well, yet I doubt many people actually play them for the character interactions or the story. Character customization? Tons of genres offer that.

The only thing the Souls games have in common with typical RPGs is that you can name your character, select a "class" (that's completely mutable), talk to random NPCs, play with stats and customize your gear. In Sekiro you can't name your character or play with stats. Playing with stats was never anything more than a means to an end though anyway, and it wasn't the point of the games, especially if you always gave each character similar soft caps and the only things that really changed between them were the primary damage stats.

Bloodborne was considered "not a Souls game" by some, even though it was a stripped down Souls game in all ways with a tweak to the combat. Most of the same systems from the previous games remained and it's even more glaringly obvious how much of a Souls game it is when you then consider what happened with Dark Souls 3. Sekiro is just that next step of removing elements and tweaking (heavily) the combat system from the games that came before it.

It's odd that Miyazaki is saying that the stealth mechanics in Sekiro are one element that will set the game apart, but that seems to be disregarding the fact that you could build stealth based characters in the Souls games too. If he simply means that it will come with the character as a default skill, then I guess that makes it different. The deathblow just sounds like another backstab or riposte too, albeit not quite as easy to pull off. Aside from the combat system, the level design is very much supposed to be akin to Dark Souls.

In the end, I don't really care what the "official" genres are though since I play them for similar reasons anyway. Adventuring through an interestingly bizarre world, fighting beautifully grotesque and macabre trash and bosses with a relatively unique combat system. Sekiro has all of that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

The Souls games are action adventure games with RPG elements. If that makes them "RPGs", it only does so when you play really loose with the genres like how a lot of modern not RPGs are being called RPGs. Similarly like how Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 are considered ARPGs as well, yet I doubt many people actually play them for the character interactions or the story. Character customization? Tons of genres offer that.

The only thing the Souls games have in common with typical RPGs is that you can name your character, select a "class" (that's completely mutable), talk to random NPCs, play with stats and customize your gear. In Sekiro you can't name your character or play with stats. Playing with stats was never anything more than a means to an end though anyway, and it wasn't the point of the games, especially if you always gave each character similar soft caps and the only things that really changed between them were the primary damage stats.

Bloodborne was considered "not a Souls game" by some, even though it was a stripped down Souls game in all ways with a tweak to the combat. Most of the same systems from the previous games remained and it's even more glaringly obvious how much of a Souls game it is when you then consider what happened with Dark Souls 3. Sekiro is just that next step of removing elements and tweaking (heavily) the combat system from the games that came before it.

It's odd that Miyazaki is saying that the stealth mechanics in Sekiro are one element that will set the game apart, but that seems to be disregarding the fact that you could build stealth based characters in the Souls games too. If he simply means that it will come with the character as a default skill, then I guess that makes it different. The deathblow just sounds like another backstab or riposte too, albeit not quite as easy to pull off. Aside from the combat system, the level design is very much supposed to be akin to Dark Souls.

In the end, I don't really care what the "official" genres are though since I play them for similar reasons anyway. Adventuring through an interestingly bizarre world, fighting beautifully grotesque and macabre trash and bosses with a relatively unique combat system. Sekiro has all of that.
This is why we should just call them chlooters

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Soulsborne games will feel different than Sekiro. Bloodborne is a direct descendant of the Souls series. Like Demon Souls to Dark Souls. Sekiro looks quite a bit different.