• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You can do regular smooth translation with the moves. It works very well. You hold the move button down and the move in the direction you are pointing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just set my review live - really amazing experience in VR. I gave it an 8/10.

Virtual reality breathes new life into an already excellent campaign. While you'll have probably seen everything that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR has to offer before, you'll never have seen it quite like this: vast, varied, and like an actual living, breathing place. Bethesda's proven that blockbusters can make the transition to PlayStation VR – and on this evidence, it's something we'd like to see happen more often.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_vr

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The literal hands-on combat really makes this a lot of fun to play & lifts it to another level. I would have been less intrigued with traditional controls because it a would have been a known quantity at this point (as I'm well familiar with the franchise and its relatively simplistic combat) but having the freedom of picking up stuff with your own hands, handling your weapons & shields manually, drawing the bowstring etcetera just adds that extra analog layer of satisfaction to the RPG experience. I have clocked a bit past 8 hours in this world today.
And it's delightful to have a full open world game in VR where you can plot a course into the horizon with a ton of gameplay opportunities all over.

It's not a pretty game technically but the vistas, verticality, architecture & ambient effects ends up charming you. There is a learning curve to remembering the control flow & some rough edges (it's not a title you throw a newbie into to instantly impress them about VR). But after a couple of hours the gameplay, atmosphere and freedom ends up being a 10.

Resident Evil 7 and Skyrim VR is an awesome dual punch if you jump into VR right now.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
How do you shout a word of power? I have one equipped...
Have you slayed your first dragon yet? If so: Square on the right PS Move.
Can you hot swap between bow and sword?
You can tag items from your inventory as favorites. They show up in a quick menu you bring up by pressing O on the left PS move. If you change from bow back to i.e. sword it will automatically remember what you had in the opposite hand when carrying that sword last time and automatically equip it (shield, torch etc).

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you slayed your first dragon yet? If so: Square on the right PS Move.

You can tag items from your inventory as favorites. They show up in a quick menu you bring up by pressing O on the left PS move. If you change from bow back to i.e. sword it will automatically remember what you had in the opposite hand when carrying that sword last time and automatically equip it (shield, torch etc).
Thanks

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Can you move backwards?

edit: OK, I see in the OP.

Question though, is that awkward? Pointing behind yourself?
No. You don't have to like point way behind you or anything. The direction you move is more like you're tilting a regular sized joystick. Lean it in a direction and hold the Move button to travel in that direction. It allows for strafing, reversing, and double tapping Move button while regular position (forward) makes you run.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How can I wait so that a few hours go by, for example when shops are closed, what do I press to wait for 8 hours until they open?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
No. You don't have to like point way behind you or anything. The direction you move is more like you're tilting a regular sized joystick. Lean it in a direction and hold the Move button to travel in that direction. It allows for strafing, reversing, and double tapping Move button while regular position (forward) makes you run.

Double tapping makes you run! Game Changer.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's a major plus to using the Move controllers, even though they do take some getting used to.

When you pick up items you can turn them over, whereas with the Dualshock 4 every item you pick up is fixed and can't be tilted, even when knocking it against something.

Basically without the move controllers you can't pull off this classic trick.

23559814_2076930202537145_2193265184699878077_n.jpg

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, riding on horseback and using the move controllers to swing a mace down on either side of your mount in order to crush a wolf's head... Sooooo awesome.

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
Can you move backwards?

edit: OK, I see in the OP.

Question though, is that awkward? Pointing behind yourself?

I played for 2 hours with the move controllers and it is a bit awkward at first but you get used to the controls. I played a second time today with the standard controller and prefer that method for precise movement.

Gaming Zen

Nov 11, 2017
So what's the consensus for controlling? Moves or DualShock? I'm gonna start this tonight.

I've tried both and I'd say Move is easily the best choice. It can take a bit to get use to but once you do it's pure joy! Also, I stand while I play....sitting kinda ruins the immersion and makes me feel like half my body is in the ground.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
86 at metacritic after 4 reviews is very nice but how could it be that not one big site like ign, gamespot, eurogamer etc reviewed Skyrim VR at launch ?
Every site scores the Switch version but no one cares for the VR version...

Thats a shame for the gaming press !

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
86 at metacritic after 4 reviews is very nice but how could it be that not one big site like ign, gamespot, eurogamer etc reviewed Skyrim VR at launch ?

I think they all know that VR fans will buy it on sight.

But also reviewing it is tricky. The graphics aren't as nice as the special edition, it's full price, there's no option to upgrade your existing Skyrim copy, etc.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Played for two hours, my impressions:

- Played with Move controllers. It's nice. At first, I wanted to advance and turn with my head (like Arizona Sunshine) but moving with the left Move like an analog stick works well too.
- Menu controls, fight controls, Favorites, etc... The Moves aren't missing anything much from the DS4.
- Graphically, it's a 1st/2nd generation PS3 game at 60fps. Again, the magic is made by the atmosphere of the environments, not the graphics. (Playing on PS4Pro)
- I haven't experienced any bugs whatsoever.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I think they all know that VR fans will buy it on sight.

But also reviewing it is tricky. The graphics aren't as nice as the special edition, it's full price, there's no option to upgrade your existing Skyrim copy, etc.

Switch version graphics are also not so good like the special edition and it costs full price.
But it got 49 metacritic reviews.

I mean besides 4players there is no multiplatform site with an Skyrim VR review at launch and that makes me angry.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I just fought the first dragon. OH MY GOD. That alone is worth the price of admission. It was the size of a bus.

Also, I'm 100% in on DS4 controls now. PS Moves are fun but the utility of the controller trumps them. Navigating menus, being able to sneak slowly and having the D-Pad for hot-swapping favorites are all things you can only do with the DS4.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Guys, I just fought the first dragon. OH MY GOD. That alone is worth the price of admission. It was the size of a bus.

Also, I'm 100% in on DS4 controls now. PS Moves are fun but the utility of the controller trumps them. Navigating menus, being able to sneak slowly and having the D-Pad for hot-swapping favorites are all things you can only do with the DS4.

I'm all in on the moves here. Anyway, yeah, fighting dragons is awesome. I crossed one by myself on my way to the magic college. Fought it sword and board, it was pretty intense. I did have Lydia with me though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So question if I load this up on PS4 and also on my Switch at the same time... Will I become Skyrim?

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations were in-check regarding the visual quality going in but, yikes, I'm shocked at how bad this looks especially during anything out in the world (playing on PS4 Pro). Still, a decent experience but the visual quality takes me out of said experience at times.

I'm still trying to figure out why you have to basically look directly at the floor/your feet when looking at the navigation, health, etc part of the HUD. I thought maybe it was a calibration issue but, nope, after re-calibrating all PSVR settings multiple times it's still an issue and incredibly uncomfortable especially when sitting and playing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I did hear from Reddit that the 'unsheathing' glitch where your weapons will come out has to do with having a shield in your off hand. I thought it was due to, like another suggested, pressing the triggers by accident, but it's being reported that it's actually a glitch. Hope it's fixed next patch since I want to run shield.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why you have to basically look directly at the floor/your feet when looking at the navigation, health, etc part of the HUD. I thought maybe it was a calibration issue but, nope, after re-calibrating all PSVR settings multiple times it's still an issue and incredibly uncomfortable especially when sitting and playing.
They did it that way on purpose, so you wouldn't have hud elements constantly in view taking away from the immersion.

More likely a shame for Bethesda not getting review copies of a 200 hour game out to reviewers early enough.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on DS4 and using magic, it's so much better in VR. I do wish the graphics were a bit better on pro but it is an old game that wasn't made for VR so it's good all things considered. I'm having fun with it and it's great having a VR game with lots of content.

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations were in-check regarding the visual quality going in but, yikes, I'm shocked at how bad this looks especially during anything out in the world (playing on PS4 Pro). Still, a decent experience but the visual quality takes me out of said experience at times.

I hated the HUD at first but it's great and clever once I got used to it. The only thing I still dislike is the skills menu, I just find it awkward.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
But how could two VR only sites do a review on launch day or the german 4players ?

Looks like for the others the VR version is not important enough for a early review.
By rushing a review based on first impressions. More than one review so far has had missing information, or had to be updated after publishing to correct mistakes.