Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Move being seven year old tech is really killing us here. I wish we could have just used that Nunchuck analog that Sony released instead.

In fact, come to think of it, this isn't the first time a single analog stick missing has hurt a Sony system in many genres. Going full ghetto with the PSP for so many genres, including that stupid claw for Monster Hunter, could so easily be avoided.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gave some quality time with the Moves and I really enjoy being able to move my hands independently. Also compromised and fiddled with the locomotion so it actually feels good enough now so I could mostly forget about it and feel immersed.

Feeling more positive about it in general today.

What settings did you find best for immersive movement? I plan on diving in later tonight....

valeu

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing for a few hours, on a Pro. Graphically, I've been impressed. Towns and caves and ruins look great, as do weapons and items. People look sharp and detailed with nice animation up close, but are blurry farther away. I started playing with Moves, set all the free motion control settings, but I ended up switching to Dual Shock 4 controls which I find give me much more precise control over movement, running and jumping, with smooth turning, and it's easier to use and with less hand cramping. I played Skyrim when it first came out and got pretty far in the main game, but of course it's on a whole other level in VR. And I'm playing in a totally different way than I did that other time...no killing or stealing, focused on alchemy. Being in the world in VR is one of my fantasies come true. It really feels like I'm there.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Move being seven year old tech is really killing us here. I wish we could have just used that Nunchuck analog that Sony released instead.

In fact, come to think of it, this isn't the first time a single analog stick missing has hurt a Sony system in many genres. Going full ghetto with the PSP for so many genres, including that stupid claw for Monster Hunter, could so easily be avoided.

Oh I don't know about that. Having done some VR work myself, you'd be surprised how many times you actually want to smooth out/reduce accuracy for the sake of the play experience. Move wands can't compete with something like an Oculus Touch or Vive controller, but they are really pretty good overall. And they did test many versions with an analog stick back in the day but apparently players had a really hard time "decoupling" abstracted analog stick movement from the actual waving-around wand movement, thus the nav pickle (as I always called it). it is a shame they don't support that though, because I have one!

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda Jelly this isn't on Rift for a while... but I guess they didn't want to release FO4 and Skyrim against each other.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What does the left/right handed option change exactly?

I'm right handed, but I would like the move button on the right hand and the rotation buttons on the left...

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The same thing happened to me after playing sessions of RE7-

When I'm recalling things I did in the game, the memories are totally different than remembering a normal game. It feels like recalling real events. It's so bizarre.

lol I'm the same with RE7. Whenever I think back about my playthrough it's like I'm remembering real events in my life

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
£250 for PSVR and this, plus 2 months nowtv ans PlayStation worlds.. might crumble

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the fact that there aren't reviews yet to what might potentially be the best way to experience Skyrim.

Anyway, first chance they flaunt a discount here with the moves, I'm buying. Screw unemployment!

Anywho, what is HDR passthrough and why should I care about it?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Worried about reviews after reading the one on Ars. They say it's okay, but they nit pick the hell out of the graphics while making it out as if the only controls are teleportation.

Ultra lazy work on their part.

They say with the move it's incredibly difficult to move backwards. Is that the case when using move controls that aren't teleport?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the fact that there aren't reviews yet to what might potentially be the best way to experience Skyrim.

Anyway, first chance they flaunt a discount here with the moves, I'm buying. Screw unemployment!

Anywho, what is HDR passthrough and why should I care about it?

If you have a HDR TV the original PSVR doesn't pass the signal through so you have to keep switching cables when you want to play VR or HDR games. The new version passes the HDR signal so you can just leave the little breakout box attached

GodlyTwins

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
I played for about 3 hours last night and I could not stop grinning the entire time. The sense of scale just wow'd me in the opening cart ride and holy fuck, when the dragon came down on the tower...

IdealDirectAndalusianhorse-small.gif

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a HDR TV the original PSVR doesn't pass the signal through so you have to keep switching cables when you want to play VR or HDR games. The new version passes the HDR signal so you can just leave the little breakout box attached
Oh, but isn't the display rendering on the goggles? Why does it need two cables for a single display?

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Skyrim but always wanted to, which version should I play for the first time ?
Switch version for the portability ?
VR Version for the wow factor but I'll have to buy a PSVR...

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I've never played Skyrim but always wanted to, which version should I play for the first time ?
Switch version for the portability ?
VR Version for the wow factor but I'll have to buy a PSVR...

I haven't played Skyrim VR yet, but everything I'm reading is saying it's pretty awesome. I would love to erase my memory and replay it on vr. It's probably my favorite game and I haven't played since ps3 so I'm excited to play tonight.

The psvr is really really amazing. I haven't had a bad experience, and with the upcoming bundle with skyrim it seems like now is a good time to jump in. You won't regret it.

Oct 26, 2017
After a little bit of getting used to the controls, I'm having a good time. Totally swinging around a huge sword. I think using a low difficulty is a good idea at first, but with some practice you could get pretty good.

I'm using Moves with free movement. Luckily I haven't had a nausea problem at all. I have pretty narrow turn steps and the tunnel vision thing that helps a lot. I was worried this would be a problem but I just played for three hours.

The low resolution is a problem when you're trying to make out details far away, but up close the VR makes everything pop MUCH more. Bringing out a torch to look closer at stuff is amazing. I guess my warrior just needs glasses.

Just one question: how do I swim?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PS. Old news for many I'm sure but it took me an hour of bow & arrow shooting before getting this:
Hold the PS Move controls in parallel to each other, both pointing to your roof.
At first I always held my arrow PS Move like I would hold it against a bow (90 degrees tilted when compared to the Bow PS Move) but behavior was sometimes odd.
With both in parallel facing the roof, a bit higher than my right shoulder, I'm shooting like Legolas cleaning out rooms in no time.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I meant the HDR that would be displaying would be on your goggles. It's not like they're requiring a separate HDR cable if you want HDR on non-VR games to display on your TV?
The goggles don't display HDR.

The PS4 with PSVR outputs to two displays at the same time; the headset and the TV. But the PS4 only has one display output, so you connect that output to the PSVR processing box and then connect the box to the headset and to the TV. The original version of the box did not accept HDR signals, which annoys everyone with an HDR TV.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The goggles don't display HDR.

The PS4 with PSVR outputs to two displays at the same time; the headset and the TV. But the PS4 only has one display output, so you connect that output to the PSVR processing box and then connect the box to the headset and to the TV. The original version of the box did not accept HDR signals, which annoys everyone with an HDR TV.
Oh, got it. Thanks for the explanation! Thanks too, MrKlaw!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Man, because this is Bethesda, I really want to sit this out because they probably need to patch the hell out of this for bugs. But you guys are reeeeeeeeally making me want to pull the trigger on this, even though I've been burned by buggy Bethesda games at launch, every, single, time.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Worried about reviews after reading the one on Ars. They say it's okay, but they nit pick the hell out of the graphics while making it out as if the only controls are teleportation.

Ultra lazy work on their part.

They say with the move it's incredibly difficult to move backwards. Is that the case when using move controls that aren't teleport?

It read like a lazy review aswell, it's easy to strafe backwards, Just tilt the left move back. Visuals are fine, This ain't TV gaming, Were now in the TV!

I love using the bow and arrow, but also love sword and shield combo. Luckily you can quick change weapons with favourites.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Holy SHIT guys. Just got this game and oh my god.

Playing with the Moves with FOV filtering disabled and manual locomotion (no teleport) and feels incredible and intuitive. The only thing that takes a little bit of time to get used to is remembering the button mappings, but within 1hr I've almost got it totally down.

I'm really surprised at how well the melee combat works. I've only tried sword and shield so far in terms of melee, but I was worried because I only have Raw Data as a reference and I think it's hot garbage there because of how enemies simultaneously bum rush you but are almost always either just out of reach or fusing with your face. But no, in Skyrim VR it works amazingly well and just like you'd expect. And power attacks are triggered by swinging the weapon while holding the trigger, so there is never any point in which you perform the wrong move.

Bow aiming is interesting. The aiming part is controlled exclusively with the hand that holds the bow. The position of the arrow drawing hand does not affect the aiming angle at all. It might seem counterintuitive at first but I have found this method to be far, far more comfortable and especially much more accurate than aiming with both hands as seen in Raw Data and Ancient Amuletor. Funnily enough, I also bought this game on Switch and despite loving and being pretty good at gyro aiming, I am performing even better as a stealthy archer on PSVR. Leaning to take advantage of corners and difficult angles helps massively, but it's also the simple fact that aiming with the moves is extremely accurate in my experience.

So far I am completely in love with this game and the hype is real. Make no mistake, this is indeed the incredible killer app that VR needed.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Loving people's reactions to this game in VR!

It's refreshing and Don't forget to hotkey your fave weapons so it's easy to switch between. Hold the O button on the left move.

Really pleased how well it is to learn how to use the moves, It's pretty simple now.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how you can wait (fast forward time) using the Move controllers? Thanks.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well an hour in (at the first town) and very impressed so far. Finally found a physical copy , loaded it up (OG PS4). The move controllers feel weird at first, tons of buttons to remember (left hand triangle different that right hand triangle for example) but once you get it, it's awesome.

The game isn't pretty but the graphics are definitely serviceable and don't take away from the immersion.

I find the tracking of the headset and move to be the best in this game out of any I have played. I also noticed I end up in the same part of the room facing the camera as I started which never happens for me. Always having certain parts of the UI facing the camera was a brilliant choice.

Also it plays really well sitting down with the move. Most games with the move don't work because reaching down while sitting on a couch doesn't make sense, but if you crouch in the game you are the same level as what you need so no reaching required.

Magic seems to be the most badass combination with the bow being the hardest weapon to pull off.

Tried with the controller and it feels great but playing with the move makes it a tad more immersive for me . Going from holding R2 to kill a spider to swinging your arms like a madman is the way to go

Belker

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does PSVR still have the drift issues and the screen wobbling in and out? I got one at launch but returned it for those reasons. Even a bit of the wobble in and out made me feel bad.

I'm tempted by the Skyrim bundle, but I'm concerned about the hardware.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Quick question - is this VR edition completely separate to the Special Edition? Not that I'd want to play it through twice but it would be good to be able to fall back to the remastered version if I don't get on with it in VR...

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is kind of messy lmao I'm just poking in front of me with a move
Does each poke/swing regardless of time between, length of swing and speed of swing do the same damage? That whole slappy fighting giving you an advantage becoming the default really worried me. It seems like the this kind of game definitely needs some kind of system for dealing with that artificial advantage.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
This and Resident Evil 7, seems like. This one has a broader appeal though.

Yeah Skyrim and RE7 neck and neck for me as killer apps, With Farpoint using the AIM just underneath them.

We also need to remember it's only been 1 year for these already great gaming experiences. The future could be incredible if we all support it.