• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

I loved this interview. The cast and director have such infectious chemistry. Damn I need to watch this movie again this week lol.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came back.

will-ferrell-anchorman.gif
The battle alongside the Great Protector 🤯

Oct 25, 2017
Near the end of the movie, my girlfriend leans over and whispers "Wenwu kind of looks like your dad". I respond with a "yeah", while a bit teary-eyed. lol

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I think I figured out the timeline of Shang-Chi and his family's lives. It makes two big assumptions--one, that it's "present day" is set sometime around Endgame, so 2023 about (five years after Infinity War, which was 2018), give or take a few months, and two, that Shang-Chi was not blipped, as that just opens another can of worms that the film didn't delve into at all.

So with those assumptions, we are told that Shang-Chi left his father at the age of fourteen, and it is now ten years later, so he is twenty-four years old. Twenty-four in 2023 would mean he was born in 1999, three years after Wenwu met his mother. If he left ten years prior to the "present" would put him leaving in 2013 (same year as Iron Man 3, actually, now that I think about it). It's also stated that he started training with his father at the age of seven, which began pretty much right after his mom died and Wenwu went back to the Ten Rings, so that would put Wenwu's return to the Ten Rings at 2006, two years before the first Iron Man.

I think that holds up. Maybe it could be interpreted that the Ten Rings' kidnapping of Tony Stark was part of Wenwu rebuilding his power base, or something.

Last edited:

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder if there would be a better work around regarding his name. Instead of 氣 (Chi), would 冀 (Ji) be a suitable replacement?

The romanization of 冀(Ji) would still be written as Chi, so he'd be able to keep the name Shang Chi in English.

His name in Mandarin would be pronounced a little differently ( Shang Ji) but I'm wondering if it would sound a little more appealing/ make more sense in Chinese.

It's a good alternative, but still a bit awkward and not a name a Mandarin-speaking creator would gravitate towards.

I think what might work is if Shang or Chi was a surname (尚 or 齊 respectively), and the given name being the other, which would open up the first name to something that makes sense and is commonly used. However, I think officially they've name Shang-Chi's family "Xu" 徐, so that's out the window hahaha.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I think I figured out the timeline of Shang-Chi and his family's lives. It makes two big assumptions--one, that it's "present day" is set sometime around Endgame, so 2023 about (five years after Infinity War, which was 2018), give or take a few months, and two, that Shang-Chi was not blipped, as that just opens another can of worms that the film didn't delve into at all.

So with those assumptions, we are told that Shang-Chi left his father at the age of fourteen, and it is now ten years later, so he is twenty-four years old. Twenty-four in 2023 would mean he was born in 1999, three years after Wenwu met his mother. If he left ten years prior to the "present" would put him leaving in 2013 (same year as Iron Man 3, actually, now that I think about it). It's also stated that he started training with his father at the age of seven, which began pretty much right after his mom died and Wenwu went back to the Ten Rings, so that would put Wenwu's return to the Ten Rings at 2006, two years before the first Iron Man.

I think that holds up. Maybe it could be interpreted that the Ten Rings' kidnapping of Tony Stark was part of Wenwu rebuilding his power base, or something.

There are a few other clues. He met Katy when he was 15 and they've known each other for 10 years. Basic math should mean he's 25 during the movie.

As for the year. He had one shirt that said he's from the class of 17. If he graduated as a 18 year old in 2017 then he'd be 25 in 2024.

So that's what I'm sticking with unless Marvel confirms something different.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few other clues. He met Katy when he was 15 and they've known each other for 10 years. Basic math should mean he's 25 during the movie.

As for the year. He had one shirt that said he's from the class of 17. If he graduated as a 18 year old in 2017 then he'd be 25 in 2024.

Ah, didn't catch that. So he was likely born in 2000 then.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This movie was so good! I really like how every major character got a moment to shine, and the dragon sequence at the end was so good.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do fellow Asian Americans think of this film? I just got back from watching it and I'm curious.

Incredible. I was terrified it would be disappointing because I felt like if this bombed it would take forever to bring back goodwill from viewing audiences for another Asian superhero as fucked up as that sounds. But this movie was well made, I've seen it twice in theaters now (early screening where Simu showed up and just now w my girlfriend). Loved it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Black Widow I'm really enjoying MCU flicks these days.

Unlike so many if them, SC feels like it could be a satisfying movie on its own merits.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot wait to see this again. How good the pacing on this movie was is still the standout feature to me. Absolutely top notch script and editing to make the movie flow so well. Pacing is one the most difficult things to get right in cinema and this movie nailed it.

Really enjoyed the film. Wasn't expecting Trevor Slattery to appear in this and honestly I loved it, probably one of the highlights of the film. Action scenes are up there with the MCU's best, and I like how even though the third act was fairly formulaic on paper (hero fights villain with the same powerset, there's a faceless CGI army) it was still pretty cool in practice

I wouldn't exactly call a Kaiju battle typical third act marvel.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings on this one. Glad to see it's well-received, but personally found it kind of underwhelming. The nods to Asian American identity felt kind of hamfisted to me, and the production quality felt weirdly low budget at a lot of points. Was honestly completely uninterested in Ta Lo; wuxia just can't really be done justice in a Marvel universe. Would've rather it stuck to Hong Kong style kung fu, or at least be bit more inspired and less antiseptic when it came to the mythical elements.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

It's pretty surreal to have a Marvel character who's the same age as me in-universe.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Still mildly amused at the idea of Nora hanging out and being best friends with her grandpa aka Garbage Boy.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6/10 great visuals but wow was the comedy horrendous and rather lackluster, average plot. Hopefully we can get to the point that people are tired of seeing the same origin story for all these films.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't studied Mandarin in like 5 years, but I still understood some of it. I was legit surprised that I did lol. Makes me want to start studying again.

jimmytutron

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it Thursday night but loved it so much and watched it again last night.

The cutest thing happened after the movie ended. As I was walking out of the theater there was an Asian family in front of me, a dad and his kids, and they were all doing the little circle foot move. Made me smile :)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What do fellow Asian Americans think of this film? I just got back from watching it and I'm curious.
I was pretty scared it would be shitty or just disrespectful in some way to Asian culture. However I'm very pleased with what they did. They managed to throw in a lot of small Asian culture nods without making it feel forced or a joke. I feel satisfied that we got our own Black Panther of a movie.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
The movie is really good, loved the musics also.That final fight was insane !
There are some pace issues, the movie could be 10/20minutes shorter.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
God, Shang-Chi's skin being colored yellow during the 70s is so cringe inducing.
It's bad, but for what's worth, the old comics were printed on cheap, grayish paper (like a newspaper) that dimmed the colors on page. Therefore, the colorists always cranked up color intensity. Shang-Chi was not supposed to look as yellow as a banana.

Marvel (and DC, for that matter) suck at reproducing the true color palettes of old comics.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
The 3rd act was a little rushed but all in all.... Marvel can't be stopped lol

Out here saving cinema.

Trankz

Oct 27, 2017
When Shang-Chi told Katy he lied about going after his mother's killer.. Could that be man Katy's relative was referring to at the beginning of the movie?

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Watched it earlier in the day on Imax, and it was incredible. The fights were amazing. I do agree certain parts feel rushed... we needed more Wenwu. I think the movie would have benefited from a "Legends of Wenwu" Disney plus 4 episode mini-series or something. Though I'm not sure if Marvel would have been able to convince Tony Leung to do a D+ series.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Without spoiling can anyone tell me of Loki is referenced at all?

Sister wants to watch but has not watched loki yet.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I think he mean Katy's grandfather. early in the movie when ShangChi pick up Katy. it's chinese day of the dead where they remember their dead relative. the poster wondering if Katy's grandfather is the guy Shang-Chi killed. which I don't think it is.

I think alot of people are confused about this - I don't think it's about Katy's grandfather at all, I'm still unclear how it's getting mixed up.

When shang chi tells Katy he went thru with killing his mother's killer near the end, it was a big deal because he said in the flashback earlier that he bailed on the murder. So now he is confirming that he did commit a crime or murder before in his past

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Loved everything about it except the Shenron Vs Bahumut CG disaster. Felt like someone cut 10 mins from a different movie into this one, really jarring.
Everything else was fantastic. Tony Leung a masterclass of the art and the end credits scenes were worth waiting for.

Can't wait for a sequel.

Last edited:

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Incredible. I was terrified it would be disappointing because I felt like if this bombed it would take forever to bring back goodwill from viewing audiences for another Asian superhero as fucked up as that sounds. But this movie was well made, I've seen it twice in theaters now (early screening where Simu showed up and just now w my girlfriend). Loved it.

That's awesome. I was honestly skeptical but hopeful. I'm so glad this was one of the few times something has actually exceeded my expectations. I've had some people tell me it was mediocre at best and they'd rather watch "real" Asian movies made by Asians.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I was pretty scared it would be shitty or just disrespectful in some way to Asian culture. However I'm very pleased with what they did. They managed to throw in a lot of small Asian culture nods without making it feel forced or a joke. I feel satisfied that we got our own Black Panther of a movie.

That's how I felt coming into the movie and when I walked out of the movie.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
The parts that resonated the most with me as an Asian American - in no particular order:
  • The combative/intimidating/complicated relationship between an Asian father and his son.
  • Asian Parent/Child relationships reflected accurately, in general, in this movie
  • Seeing fight scenes like the ones I grew up watching (Jackie Chan movies) reflected in a big blockbuster MCU movie.
  • The guts to go full asian fantasy rather than stay street level kung fu movie - the way Thor went full Asgardian fantasy.
  • "When are you two getting married"
  • Dance Dance Revolution
  • Karaoke

There were more that I can't think of at the top of my head, but I loved the film and can't wait to see it again.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
That was a great movie. Awesome fighting, cool characters, Trevor Slattery playing a pivotal role. I would've been happy with just a reference to him like when they mentioned the Mandarin, but as soon as I heard that moaning I knew it was my boy.

Also I know people who wanted more straight kung fu aren't hot on the magic stuff at the end but I was fucking in for the big dragon battle. Had a huge smile on my face the whole time.

Looking forward to finding out why and how Banner gave all his green juice to his cousin.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
When Shang-Chi told Katy he lied about going after his mother's killer.. Could that be man Katy's relative was referring to at the beginning of the movie?
Absolutely not. The relative scene was there just to sprinkle in some Asian culture. And the lie was important because it revealed that SC was indeed a killer

Oct 25, 2017
So the movie's 1996 was his sister birthyear, not his?
The t-shirt is the best hint for his age still.
He's about 5 years older than her, because he went on his mission when he was 15, then she waited 6 years and left when she was 16. So if she's born in 96, he was born in 90/91, which doesn't track to graduating in 17 and being about 25 in 2024. (He'd be a decade older)

Considering how often them mention ages and numbers, you'd think it would add up cleaner.