• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Its literally like the name suggests. Its an anti-air move that allow you to instantly death blow enemies. Like
Shichiman Warrior and guys that throw those giant balls at you in Fountainhead palace.
If they jump you can just intercept them and boom instantly dead. Its fucking rad.

Yup. Haven't had too many chances to use it but when I did it was OP as fuck.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Just found out you can startle the Sakura bull with firecrackers if you sneak up behind it, then it rams itself into a wall and fills up its own posture gauge, leading to an instant kill.

God that was cathartic.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for
Owl in Harata estate? His moveset is very diverse. And screw him for changing up the plunge attack to slice at the last minute...

Just beat him last night. I'd also like to say, "hard but fair" my ass. He straight up cheats on a couple of moves, Dark Souls 2 extended hitbox style.

Anyway, here are my tips:
1. Try to stay in the middle. His combo that ends with him throwing sparks necessitates backing away, and if he's backed you up to a wall with it (and he will), that's bad. When that one ends, you can hit him with a throwing star if you want, and he won't block it.
2. Don't run away, he'll just chase you. Stay a medium distance from him so you can see his attacks coming, and you'll have plenty of time to use healing if you need to.
3. Keep your health up, so you can keep your posture damage low. Always lower it back to zero when he gives you breathing room.
4. Patience patience patience. It takes a long time to damage him enough, but once you have his stuff down, you're not in much danger, so don't rush.
5. Learn his attacks, of course. It seems like he has a lot, but he doesn't really. Let him attack, just parry or block and wait for the openings.

The places you can hit him are:

If he's standing still, you can walk right up and get in one hit, if your distance is just right to clip his right foot. Any closer and he'll block.
After his overhead leaping swing - dodge right (left dodge can catch you in that extended hitbox I mentioned) and then hit him.
After leaping over his perilous attack. If he's right on you, it's always a sweep, so jump, and hit him while you're in the air.
After that, he's very likely to do his "stand still with sword overhead" stance. DO NOT DODGE, or he'll change the attack. Stand still, right in front of him, and hit him once. When he grunts (in Japanese, it sounds a bit like "look out!"), then dodge to the side and get in another hit. You can even get in 2 hits, if you're bold - this move has a smaller hitbox than it should, so you can dodge quite late and be okay.
If he's further from you and does a perilous attack, especially after fireworks, it's always a long-range thrust. Immediately spam dodge without pressing a direction, and you'll get him in a Mikiri Counter, and can follow up with a hit.

In phase 2, all the same except, when he does his flaming bird thing (the bird lands on his arm, that's your sign), run as far away as you can and also maybe hide behind a pillar. Distance is more important, though. Keep out of range of the bird and the follow-up lunge.

The other bird move is when he disappears. Just run around and make sure he doesn't re-appear on top of you (he appears where the bird stops). Watch the range; his re-appear strike is longer than it looks. Once he does it, if you're close enough, you can get in a hit.

Here's a youtube video of someone who more or less fights him like I did.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at NG++ endgame with Attack Power at 38 and doing considerably more damage than I ever was in previous runs. Do we have actual confirmation on when this is soft-capped?

Also, it took a while but I'm a High Monk believer now. Getting much better at punishing sweep attacks with it.

Oct 27, 2017
So I went awandering after the Bull and before fighting
Genichiro
I'd unlocked nine gourd charges, had 27 prayer beads, and 4 attack power. Thus... first try, first kill. I didn't entirely feel fair about it given what I'd heard leading up to it, and can totally see how he'd be a big roadblock if you weren't rolling with a lot of health and heals. However, it did make me feel like a lot of complaints that you can't Souls-style power up before a boss aren't really accurate. The game's so damn open that you absolutely can. Now I've knocked out
Folding Monkeys
and given
the big snake
a final sendoff as well. Trying to decide if I want to explore the "nest" with the dried fruit after giving the old woman some rice...

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at NG++ endgame with Attack Power at 38 and doing considerably more damage than I ever was in previous runs. Do we have actual confirmation on when this is soft-capped?

Also, it took a while but I'm a High Monk believer now. Getting much better at punishing sweep attacks with it.
Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't keep track of things in lower NG+s, but I know that you do less damage on NG+7 with 99 attack power than you do on NG with 14 attack power.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, just have a few questions.
I haven't been able to play it a bunch, but I've defeated the raging bull, which I think opens up the game world?
I've also gotten to the locked door under the floorboards in the Hiriata Estate.
Should I just keep exploring in the present, or is there a way to open up that locked door?

Just any advice with out it getting too spoilery would be nice. Thanks!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I tried a little something to contribute to the fanart community lmao

Nice! Mikiri Counters are super satisfying. They always happen too fast to get a good look, but I like to picture my opponent's face, mouth open, eyes wide in disbelief. Like a Punch Out opponent getting hit in the stomach. Too comical for this game, really, but I still have that image in my head every time.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I haven't been able to play it a bunch, but I've defeated the raging bull, which I think opens up the game world?
I've also gotten to the locked door under the floorboards in the Hiriata Estate.
Should I just keep exploring in the present, or is there a way to open up that locked door?

Sounds like you missed an NPC to talk to.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Go back to the burning house after the spear dude miniboss and talk to the big guy there.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Nice! Mikiri Counters are super satisfying. They always happen too fast to get a good look, but I like to picture my opponent's face, mouth open, eyes wide in disbelief. Like a Punch Out opponent getting hit in the stomach. Too comical for this game, really, but I still have that image in my head every time.

Yeah, totally! Especially when you do it against bosses, you have that "hah gotcha!" moment, and that "am gonna kick your butt" feeling, it's amazing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

I remember seeing somewhere that it soft-caps at 15 and if you reach 99 your power will be only double than 15. Not sure if true though.

Also, if you can test it since I still haven't unlocked that ability, instead of starting High Monk from the ground, is it possible do it after jumping? I'm pretty sure I saw a player doing that and the animation seemed considerably faster, but I might've the wrong impression.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! Probably my favorite last boss in a FromSoft game in terms of gameplay and what it demands of you.
Definitely froms best Final Boss, wish the the music was as good as LoC or big 3 tho.

Been a few weeks since I beat this but it's still on my mind. Learning the boss fights have been some of my favorite recent gaming moments.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing somewhere that it soft-caps at 15 and if you reach 99 your power will be only double than 15. Not sure if true though.

Also, if you can test it since I still haven't unlocked that ability, instead of starting High Monk from the ground, is it possible do it after jumping? I'm pretty sure I saw a player doing that and the animation seemed considerably faster, but I might've the wrong impression.

You can

Kokonaute

Jan 23, 2019
France
Stay close to him and try to memorize his animations. Dodge his unblockable by jumping to the left. You can't get too greedy with your hits cause that unblockable come out extremely fast.
I'd say try your best to get behind him any chance you can. It's free shots. But expect stomps and be ready to deflect them. You don't need flame shield for that fight bit it makes it much, much easier
Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella can help.
stick to his right leg
I preferred to block/deflect the stomps, it was more reliable than dodging
the double fire sweep you dodge forward twice, the dodge the stomp that follows up and hit him
right arm sweep you jump left as soon as you hear it or see the kanji, immediately run towards him and and the fireballs are not going to hit you cause you are too close to him.
as soon as you see he's going to do the forward fire attack you run left and jump and the last moment
third phase has that fire slash attack to watch out, you jump it, jump the follow up and again run towards him
the trick is really to stay on him all the time
Use the fire umbrella, aim to be underneath him as much as you can, keep trying and trying and trying.
His unblockable was near impossible for me to dodge consistently, you can jump away but it often comes too fast for me to react properly so I just used the Suzaku umbrella. It tanks the entire combo no problem and you can even use the counter-attack (assuming you have the skill) for decent vit/posture damage too.

For the fireballs, when he leaps away, immediately dash towards him. Do not hesitate (for hesitation is defeat), even if you're low on health, it's safer to just make a dash for it. The fireballs will go above your head.

If you do hesitate, or are still too far for whatever reason, immediately spring the Suzaku umbrella when the fireballs come, they can tank them fully.

Thank you all for your advices, I finally defeated him after 3 hours of tries. It was hard but the final deathblow was so satisfying! Also I didn't use suzaku umbrella or malcontent whistle because I didn't have enough money to upgrade (and I'm too lazy to grind...).
Now I'm blocked by
the samurai and the spear guy. It's kinda hard to face the two of them at the same time.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Alrighty, got two endings. Two more to go.

I went from 60 hours to about 7 or 8 hours. I was still kinda fooling around a bit not realizing I could skip some stuff lol.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thank you all for your advices, I finally defeated him after 3 hours of tries. It was hard but the final deathblow was so satisfying! Also I didn't use suzaku umbrella or malcontent whistle because I didn't have enough money to upgrade (and I'm too lazy to grind...).
Now I'm blocked by
the samurai and the spear guy. It's kinda hard to face the two of them at the same time.
Pop a Gachiin (sugar or spiritfall), sneak behind them and backstab the samurai into Bestowal ninjutsu. Even if spear-guy has 2 deathblows required, the first one should happen very quick with Bestowal as it does crazy vitality and posture damage.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Well, that was unexpected. Defeated

Demon of Hatred
on my second try tonight. The tactic I read worked amazingly.

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deflect and firecrackers

Haha so I actually just beat it by dodging a lot and sneaking hits in when I could. It was very un-Sekiro. I don't think I even have firecrackers and I definitely couldn't work out an attack pattern to deflect that I was comfortable with

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I can't remember who asked me but here is the 1 shot strat for the late mini-boss.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Onwards to NG+++ I guess??? I think I've more or less mastered the final boss at this point, which is by the way the best and most fun in the game. I like how quickly you can break their posture if you're playing well and play aggressive as all hell. Plus I now consider High Monk to be the secret best combat art in the game. It can stagger like Ichimonji, does massive posture damage on sweeps, and its long string seems to be relatively safe on block, doing even more posture damage.

OTOH I'm not interested in fighting DoH ever again. What a slog of a fight. Beaten once was good enough for me.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
At just about exactly the 50 hour mark, and I only have one more ending left to get, one more prosthetic upgrade (which sadly requires lazulite so I'll have to make it back all the way to the end of the game even though I just need the Shura ending; thank goodness for save scumming), and then several hours of EXP grinding for skills, and I'll have all of the achievements. Excellent stuff, From. Truly an outstanding game.

Did they explain why Spirit Emblems double in price at some point? Sucks :(

Bloodborne did the same thing with the cost of blood vials and hunter bullets; you'll eventually be getting so much more money that increasing the cost of the spirit emblems incrementally is necessary, especially since you can return to idols and buy more emblems without resetting all of the enemies.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
ahhhhh I'm thinking I need to give up and quit.
Stuck on fighting
Owl
and... don't think i can stomach practicing for hours to beat it, just to get back to the parts of the game i enjoy.

Loved Darks Souls, Platinumed Bloodborne, but really it's the dark weird worlds and dangerous exploration which makes me play and love these games.
Boss fights were never my favourite parts, and this game leans so heavily on the "miniboss, miniboss, BOSS" rhythm.

I'll maybe rebuy on PC one day and use a trainer to cheat the bosses, so i can just get back to the exploring and parts i enjoy hahah.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the
Divine Dragon way more than any other boss in the game. Just a big waste of time. Would rather fight Isshin a million times than fight this piece of shit again tbh. Almost done with the Plat though thankfully.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
I hate the
Divine Dragon way more than any other boss in the game. Just a big waste of time. Would rather fight Isshin a million times than fight this piece of shit again tbh. Almost done with the Plat though thankfully.

man, i find it so legitimately interesting to hear and see people's myriad opinions on which bosses they like and dislike in this game. i never wouldve thought to hear THAT in particular in my life.

for me, Divine Dragon was cake, even if i messed up the final lightning reversal more than once due to timing. it was a fun "gimme" fight, i thought, and meanwhile Isshin is tearing me a new one (although a lot of that has to do with my impatience and button mashing).

as an aside, i finally did defeat that other boss...

after countless attempts, i ended up just casually rushing through iterations of the fight with Demon of Hatred, literally just respawning, rushing in without buffing and just slashing away until he killed me, stuck in some weird psychological feedback loop of wasting time out of frustration and resignation. while i was explaining to my fiancee my emotional state and what was going on in-game and why it was frustrating me specifically (had almost killed him a few attempts previously, had wasted all my rez nodes and didnt want to go and refill them, &c) i noticed that i was doing pretty well on this go... like, i had gotten him halfway down his second health bar. after i took down his second deathblow, i kinda got serious, popped a Divine Confetti, and blew Malcontent - and actually WASTED a whistle by using it at the wrong time - but ended up staggering him exactly when i needed to, and finally put him out of his misery. my heart was POUNDING, and i was glad to do it, but given the lead-up and the manifold deaths, i wasnt 100% satsified. just glad to finally be over with it.

anyway, now im just trying to hammer away at the final boss. got a pretty good strategy, but im just having trouble with managing not to button-mash or screw up my inputs by getting nervous and mis-reading animations and tells. hopefully by the end of the weekend i can put my first playthrough behind me.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the

Honestly I love the fight. It's just a nice big piece of cinematic eye candy which from was never good at until now.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Can someone please PM and tell me how to get to all of the optional bosses and how do I get to sonpou temple? Somehow I am already at the end and I skipped senpou temple. I dont understand this. Not a huge fan of exploration in this game compared to bloodborne or dark souls 3.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
ahhhhh I'm thinking I need to give up and quit.
Stuck on fighting
Owl
and... don't think i can stomach practicing for hours to beat it, just to get back to the parts of the game i enjoy.

Loved Darks Souls, Platinumed Bloodborne, but really it's the dark weird worlds and dangerous exploration which makes me play and love these games.
Boss fights were never my favourite parts, and this game leans so heavily on the "miniboss, miniboss, BOSS" rhythm.

I'll maybe rebuy on PC one day and use a trainer to cheat the bosses, so i can just get back to the exploring and parts i enjoy hahah.

There's honestly a pretty easy way to beat him.

https://youtu.be/P77E3oWAiyc

People really underestimate the cheesability of this game.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's honestly a pretty easy way to beat him.

https://youtu.be/P77E3oWAiyc

People really underestimate the cheesability of this game.

huh thank you for this. I guess I'll try this cheese before i give up entirely.
Though i figured i was always going to get to a breaking point with this game eventually hah.

The way people talk about the final boss fight, i think if i can get to that, i'll consider myself "done" and watch the endings on youtube.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If I choose to do NG+, will I actually see the benefits of upgrading my attack power and health? Like will I be doing insane damage to early bosses and they aren't doing much damage to me?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Grinding the Ashina outskirts in the NG+ endgame now. I guess I'm stuck grinding for hours huh

If I choose to do NG+, will I actually see the benefits of upgrading my attack power and health? Like will I be doing insane damage to early bosses and they aren't doing much damage to me?
You'll do more but not much more. They get scaled up too. Your knowledge of the game will be worth more.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Freakin ape :/. I can get past phase one (takes a long time) but phase 2 I can't even seem to get a hit on him

Oct 27, 2017

sadly its 11-20 lol

Testing of extremely high attack powers created via a save editor seems to suggest that attack power hits a softcap or hardcap after a certain point (20?), no longer functioning as described above and providing a much, much weaker benefit.

also you can seem to max it a 99 only if you save a memory for the last point...
The current attack power limit is set to 98 for the Mask. After that, if the player has no more memories, attack power can no longer be increased by any means (not even with skill points). It is possible to raise it to 99 with a memory if the user saves a memory until 98 Attack Power.
Ill never get it to 99 but before it was thought 98 was max which was rather annoying lol

https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Attack+Power

Last edited: