• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't resurrect if I die on a boss' first phase. Fuck wasting time.

Hmm.

Did you ever use the sakura droplet or whatever it was to get an extra res?

Ressing during the first phase is fine, there's always a deathblow to get to the next which refills an orb and means you can still die and res again.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about early game fight...

Am I supposed to have had any specific upgrades by the time I got to the

Drunken dude

fight? Like I still only have found 2 beeds so far so no upgrade there and I only have 2 charges of the flask. I got the first two upgraded arms tho.

Oh also, while exploring around before getting to the previously mentionned boss fight I found a back alley that lead to

Some kind of purple ninja dude?

Am I supposed to kill it already cause man... That dude hits like a truck...

It's fine to come back there later. There's another path of progression to take, if you only have two beads I assume you went straight into the area you're in after getting the bell - you can go back there and keep going.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genichiro is so much easier after you've bashed your head against the Lady butterfly wall for 6 hours

I worked on Genichiro for about an hour before getting frustrated and deciding to go back and try Lady Butterfly again. Ended up beating her in 3 tries.

Genichiro is one of the hardest From bosses I've ever fought. I will beat him eventually.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to come back there later. There's another path of progression to take, if you only have two beads I assume you went straight into the area you're in after getting the bell - you can go back there and keep going.
Ah right... I went straight into the
flashback
... I didn't want to go back to continue cause I wasn't sure which way was the critical path? I try to avoid the critical path when possible lol.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Are you holding down the run button and are locked on to him? Just asking because I only run away without actually "running" and always got caught. After I actually ran after him (and away) it was fairly easy

I only found out about that in my later tries and while I agree I wasn't hit very often, it still happened and quite often I just hadn't dragged his health enough.

Lock on and sprint all the time. Throw hard angles at him and try to control the positioning so you've always got space (focus on clearing all obstacles when you get in). Always look for him digging one of his 'horns' in the ground for the hard turn. This is always a few seconds of downtime and is a consistent animation you get in, hit, and sprint out for. When you throw it a hard angle it very commonly does this move.

Just play it safe and focus on dodging, baiting the turn and then attacking during that spot.

Okay, I'll try to throw sharper angles like a rabbit. We'll see.

yeah, I've just got past the
bull on the third go, you just have to keep moving at full speed and take advantage of when it smashes into the wall, I didn't feel like I did anything different when I beat it I just felt like I got lucky.

I felt the same way, that was the one fight in the game I didn't like. Just applied this strategy until I got lucky:
firecrackers, be sure to hit the head for more damage when you can, circle it dark souls style

At least two people who feel like me yay, because I certainly feel stupid because I have played all previous From games, even manged the butterfly and not the bull and have nowhere left to go... :/

i didn't find it so bad

i wait for him to come at me like a matador and parry once or twice follwed by an r1

if he stops close to me, i use firecrackers and then wail on him

it's the mini boss i've had least problems with so far

You'd be the ideal candidate for 'hand over the controller to a friend, can you clear this hurdle for me' at this particular spot then ;)

I got so many different replies though that I'm fairly certain there's no 'good way' to defeat this boss. It's just not representative for the game IMO, outside of firecrackers maybe.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
At the final area of the game. Very cool. Regarding navigation through that area:

Ah, I was hoping From would make an even worse version of those dudes from Irithyll Dungeon. And by hoping I mean fuck them. Flute-sucking assholes.

Oct 25, 2017
I worked on Genichiro for about an hour before getting frustrated and deciding to go back and try Lady Butterfly again. Ended up beating her in 3 tries.

Genichiro is one of the hardest From bosses I've ever fought. I will beat him eventually.
Def the boss I'm struggling with as well. Lady butterfly seems easy by comparison

Oct 28, 2017
Yeeeaaah fuck you bitch you weren't hard I don't know why I keep hearing people struggling on this Lady Butterfly boss.

Wait theres a second phase? Shit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to get the items on top of the Buddha statue to the left of the idol in the Ashina Depths pool where Snake Eyes used to hang out? I just for the life of me can't get up there.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love this game and also loathe it...

And here's to you, Lady Butterfly:

tenor.gif

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I've been following impressions of this game, and what seems striking to me is that it doesn't sound like a lot of these boss fights are fun.

Is that the case? Is that different than their other games in that regard? I only played Bloodborne once through because it literally gave me headaches, but there were a number of bosses I would have loved to fight again.
A lot of the bosses are there to teach you something, a kind of in game check to make sure you're progressing, depends on your definition of fun, some bosses I felt like I earn my win, others felt more like dumb luck.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I only found out about that in my later tries and while I agree I wasn't hit very often, it still happened and quite often I just hadn't dragged his health enough.

Okay, I'll try to throw sharper angles like a rabbit. We'll see.

At least two people who feel like me yay, because I certainly feel stupid because I even manged the butterfly and not the bull and have nowhere left to go... :/

You'd be the ideal candidate for 'hand over the controller to a friend, can you clear this hurdle for me' at this particular spot then ;)

I got so many different replies though that I'm fairly certain there's no 'good way' to defeat this boss. It's just not representative for the game IMO, outside of firecrackers maybe.

I can confirm that 'matador style' worked great for me. I'd back up, let him charge, then simply parry and hit back. If he staggered I'd do a few more hits. It was like night and day from all the shit I'd tried before.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Took down first three bosses and all mini bosses until that point first or second time using this method.

Yeah same. I killed the 2nd boss first try and I was in party chat with my friend who was like 'You just killed him first try? wtf I've been stuck for 2hours'

Haha.

Just watch and see what they do. Also, remember that you can parry EVERYTHING (aside from grabs I guess). Often if you don't know how to evade an attack (block, jump, or dodge) a perfect parry gets you out of that rockpaper scissors system.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know how to get the items on top of the Buddha statue to the left of the idol in the Ashina Depths pool where Snake Eyes used to hang out? I just for the life of me can't get up there.
On the way to the boss (beyond Snake Eyes), there's a point where you can grapple up to the left. Look for another path to the left after you get up there.

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
Huuuuuuh, how do I fight

the Divine Dragon? He completely wrecked me and I couldn't even hit him lmao

EDIT: Ooooh nevermind, I got it!

Last edited:

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Yeeeaaah fuck you bitch you weren't hard I don't know why I keep hearing people struggling on this Lady Butterfly boss.

Wait theres a second phase? Shit.

Easiest boss of the game for me so far only died a couple of times, using the
Jump slash
combat skill she stayed stunlocked almost the entire time, aside from dodging stuff in second stage it was a cake walk.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT, after spending HOURS dying to Lady Butterfly yesterday - my skills (& added attack power) have gone up considerably. I just beat Blazing Bull on my 2nd try like it was nothing - that was seriously the easiest fight that's been in this game so far.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I thank you. I could feel the love. My heart sank when I found out that I may have missed out on a shinobi tool. This game makes me feel things. Often despair (and I love it).

I already wrote a long post detailing how I throw in the towel, the game "isn't for me" and I'm selling it on Friday night.

15 hours over two days later...

This is the OG Souls cycle. In my fucking face.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Holy shit.

NG+++?

Since I assume you need all the Bosses at least up until the end of NG++?

Went for x2 NG cause I wanted to see how fast I could finish it on the second playtrough. Took me around 6h 30min for one of the endings. Just finished NG+ true ending. I hope NG++ is enough to complete everything. Been playing non-stop.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT, after spending HOURS dying to Lady Butterfly yesterday - my skills (& added attack power) have gone up considerably. I just beat Blazing Bull on my 2nd try like it was nothing - that was seriously the easiest fight that's been in this game so far.

Lol yeah this was my same experience too. I got to butterfly before even fighting the ogre, so after fighting her about ten times and finally winning, that whole trek up to the bull was eaaaasy

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have 3 people I can give booze to and several types of sake to give. Does it matter who I give it to? I don't know if these types of sake are limited or not.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wondering if maybe someone could help me out with a side quest in the Abandoned Dungeon.

So the NPC down there covered in white bloody clothes - he handed me a note and it sounded like he wanted to kidnap me so I killed him. Did I goof up hard lol

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Does making an enemy to 0 health fill up its posture bar even from 0 to 100? Or was it by coincidence because it fills a good amount of posture ?

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I knew something was wrong when I was dealing a lot of damage to the bosses health, more than normal.

Fuck you double apes

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have tried owl for like thirty times, he just has so much of hp and can oneshot me with quick slash, second phase which i have reached only couple of times kills me every time to poison or oneshot me if I am not at full health. On the positive note fight isn't annoying like guardian ape

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been following impressions of this game, and what seems striking to me is that it doesn't sound like a lot of these boss fights are fun.

Is that the case? Is that different than their other games in that regard? I only played Bloodborne once through because it literally gave me headaches, but there were a number of bosses I would have loved to fight again.

every boss is extremely fun if you play the game in something resembling the intended way (parrying more than none, going for posture kills when possible)

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Finally took down Guardian Ape first try after getting home from work today. Got then pattern recognition down to a motherfucking tee so i just ran in circles and cheesed his attacks in phase 2. Feels ooh so good.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am so sick of Guardian Ape. Even if I get to his second half I just don't understand his moveset enough to get through the fight. The flailing, indiscriminate slash attacks are impossible to parse. Why did they have to make THIS boss mandatory for progression?
Still at it? The strikes are a bit weird, concentrate on the blade instead of the body's movements to parry. His jump attack is super useless if you sidestep right. The sweep is also kinda predictable. Since the umbrella takes care of the most obnoxious thing about the boss I found the second phase to be easier than the first tbh. It's just getting there that is annoying. But man, if you hate it so much, you won't like what comes next tbh lol.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
God I am absolutely shit at fighting bosses in this game. I play waaayyy too hyper aggressively and get my teeth kicked in repeatedly, I'm trying to parry blows but it seems like I'm always a nano-second off and either just get a regular guard or get stumbled by a heavy attack.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Haven't conquered Genichiro yet, but the game having opened up after getting to the Castle has made it more fun. It's also cooled it on the absolute bullshit unbalanced mini-boss encounters, which having a cursory look at guides, I was butting my head against the games hardest ones way too soon before getting necessary attack upgrades.

The start of this game seems like it needed a lot more tweaking to construct a difficulty curve and not a hexagon of 50 metre walls surrounding you.

Status
Not open for further replies.