• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
VERDICT: He was heading to an active Fort when a skeleton sloop popped up so he tried to ram them. He had the barrels stacked on the spar by that point, and none of them blew up on impact, so he shot them, which did sink the skeleton sloop but also sunk him. He was all JUST AS PLANNED and hopped into his rowboat to collect the skelly loot, but then could not find it, and also lost his rowboat. He also did not know which direction the nearest outpost was.

I will let you draw your own conclusions.

Haha, sounds about right. That was definitely a stupid thing to do, but it was still funny and fun. Any other ship could have easily sniped one of those barrels, or a single skele cannonball, a single Megalodon bite, even a collision could have set them off.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, sounds about right. That was definitely a stupid thing to do, but it was still funny and fun. Any other ship could have easily sniped one of those barrels, or a single skele cannonball, a single Megalodon bite, even a collision could have set them off.
The collision was the plan. He was going to use his ship as a giant torpedo, win a PvP encounter at the fort by default, and row away with the loot to the nearest outpost.

That he failed at all three is genuinely one of the funnier things I've seen in the game.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Hmm I don't really like that. What an odd design choice. The game seems very community driven. Why wouldnt they make a GAAS title where you have some type of progression path. Do you still find it rewarding? Or should I just treat the game as a much more casual experience
There is still a ton of leveling in this game, by way of leveling the merchants for better quests, much of which is rewarded with cool cosmetics. There are also hundreds of commendations to unlock, which are achievement-like challenges also reward you with doubloons (special currency you can spend at the Bilge Rat for special cosmetics), or even unlock specific cosmetics like when you hand in Tomes from the Ashen chests to the bilge Rat. Personally, I love all the things you can buy. I love having a ton of difference ships skins and different clothing options, I basically change them up every game, it adds to the fun.

With regards to the game not saving your mission progression, that's a pretty hardline design choice they made. I imagine it was intended so people don't just server hop or quit whenever they are in danger. It also, along with the emissary layer really encourage and reward players for having longer play sessions. At least tall Tales have checkpoints now.

This game is definitely about the journey. Even after two years, I still have amazing nights like I did yesterday. The way the team keeps adding new content, and changing the meta-game also keeps things fresh and a little crazy.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VERDICT: He was heading to an active Fort when a skeleton sloop popped up so he tried to ram them. He had the barrels stacked on the spar by that point, and none of them blew up on impact, so he shot them, which did sink the skeleton sloop but also sunk him. He was all JUST AS PLANNED and hopped into his rowboat to collect the skelly loot, but then could not find it, and also lost his rowboat. He also did not know which direction the nearest outpost was.

I will let you draw your own conclusions.

Wouldn't this have made more sense stacking them on the bowsprit?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Today's Twitch Drop: Onyx Compass

ef27830a-0dbc-4adb-a3ce-4c151b6cb4bb.png

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed that the game keeps running in the background after quitting to desktop. Only reason I noticed this is because my cooling fan kept spinning, so I went into Task Manager and saw the executable still running in the background. Happened twice already.

Pretty bizarre.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this game up after having my eye on it for a while. Any other noobs out there that want to plunder, or anyone who might be willing to have someone new to the game join them for a bit?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
i dont think microsoft is focused on pushing people to mixer in general. Sea of Thieves switching to twitch drops last year instead of doing it on mixer was around the same time mixer got quietly taken off the gamebar on pc
Oh, I hadn't noticed that they'd gotten rid of that... kind of a shame. Was a really easy way to start streaming anything.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Hmm I don't really like that. What an odd design choice. The game seems very community driven. Why wouldnt they make a GAAS title where you have some type of progression path. Do you still find it rewarding? Or should I just treat the game as a much more casual experience
Most GaaS games are just cosmetics and don't have any progression besides that. MOBAs, FPS, Fighting Games etc. This is not an RPG

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya got me Rare. Back again and delighted with all the additions. The Tall tales I've done have been great and the Emissary system is very well done. Straight to Reapers Bones I go. The new Arena is a much better fit as well.

Piano.png

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
New Event - Blighted Bonus - June 10th 12:00am to June 16th 11:59pm

A new State of Decay ship set will go live soon in the Pirate Emporium, but players can earn four pieces for free this week.

Blighted Figurehead - Cash in 30 items of Athena's Treasure
Blighted Sails - Cash in 30 cargo crates with the Merchant Alliance
Blighted Hull - Cash in 30 chests with the Gold Hoarders
Blighted Flag - Cash in 30 bounty skulls with the Order of Souls

pdG3YJG.png

Last edited:

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
I want that figurehead but am not yet a pirate legend :(

What Tawpgun-if you go to their official Discord there area always crews looking for Athena Runs. I don't have PL either (and really, really want that figurehead), but even the most bloodythirsty types I've run into so far there have been pretty nice. There seems to be a few players who basically 'prep' for the events and just host a rotating crew of pirates to set Tall Tale checkpoints and the occasional treasure run.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
another day, another concurrent players online on steam record broken. For the record, there hasnt been a day since it released where it didnt have more players online than on the previous day

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
another day, another concurrent players online on steam record broken. For the record, there hasnt been a day since it released where it didnt have more players online than on the previous day
That's a really "Rare" occurrence. Games tend to blow up on day one and slowly drop from there. It's definitely popular cause I've never seen so many new people on the seas before.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% attributed to positive impressions on the internet and streamers like summit having a blast on it

Even if his playstyle is toxic lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I started playing this game just this week. It's awesome fun and everyone should try it. While it's fun to fight other people I mostly like just sailing around, even by myself. It's kind of soothing and really satisfying to catch the right wind.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
My friend and I got some pretty weak hauls on our Gold Hoarder quests. Decided to call it a night by setting our ship ablaze and serenading it while it sank. Then spent another twenty minutes getting wasted and vomiting grog all over the inn.

I fucking love this game so much.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You may already have these, but for those who don't...

Today's Twitch Drop: Mutinous Fist Sails

7c6ee2b0-0d8e-424c-9208-d7124a1c077c.png

Oh my god I completely missed this Bleeding Edge set. I'm so annoyed! I really hope they bring them back at some point... Those sails are so good. Assuming there's the capstan and figurehead still to give out tomorrow and Tuesday...

DAMMIT.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There is a figurehead, but it hasn't been given away in any capacity yet. With two days of Twitch Drops left, I can definitely see it being one of those.

MHsQwK9.png

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Rare adds bar games in a future update. That could be an amazing time waster after a long voyage.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Rare adds bar games in a future update. That could be an amazing time waster after a long voyage.
I wish Sea Dogs Tavern was it's own separate instance with games and gold gambling.. Both inside and out are beautiful and underutilized. Would make a perfect hub island for the game to load into before you launch into your own adventures. We need out own Tortuga Island.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I wish Sea Dogs Tavern was it's own separate instance with games and gold gambling.. Both inside and out are beautiful and underutilized. Would make a perfect hub island for the game to load into before you launch into your own adventures. We need out own Tortuga Island.

Love this idea. Get Rare on the horn!

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Omg I think you got me earlier Antonius. I was in a solo sloop with a pretty full batch of level 4 gold hoarder and they caught me fending off a skellie and a meg at the same time, and i think your username seems familiar?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Omg I think you got me earlier Antonius. I was in a solo sloop with a pretty full batch of level 4 gold hoarder and they caught me fending off a skellie and a meg at the same time, and i think your username seems familiar?
Nope. Unfortunately I've not had any good payoffs for the sunken ships. I would have remembered that lol.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that they could give again some of the omen part of the ships. I dont have the full set and I love Gears

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
An official Player Guide has just been posted:

news.xbox.com

Full Steam Ahead As Sea Of Thieves Community Continues To Grow - Xbox Wire

Just over a week ago, Sea of Thieves set sail on Steam, welcoming a whole new community of pirates onto the waves to seek adventure and the chance to become a Pirate Legend. It’s been wonderful to see the reaction to the game from the Steam community, and we were thrilled to see Sea of […]

Last edited: