Naar

Oct 29, 2017
So after the tutorial, I was able to play a part of the game on my own.

That was yesterday. Now I can't seem to play solo. It only gives me options to play online. There must be something that I am missing because every time I try to play, it tries to match make me

I just want to play solo to understand how to play the game or play with a group that can help me understand the game. I can't seem to do either 😵

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So after the tutorial, I was able to play a part of the game on my own.

That was yesterday. Now I can't seem to play solo. It only gives me options to play online. There must be something that I am missing because every time I try to play, it tries to match make me

I just want to play solo to understand how to play the game or play with a group that can help me understand the game. I can't seem to do either 😵
Safer Seas is playing completely solo in a private world.
High Seas is the standard shared world experience. Then you either have open or closed crew. Open will matchmake you or leave your boat open for matchmaking. Closed crew is private so its just you *on your ship, not the world* and anyone you explicitly invite from a friends list.

Make sure you have it set to closed crew before sailing if you want that. Or stick to Safer Seas.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Safer Seas is playing completely solo in a world.
High Seas is the standard shared world experience. Then you either have open or closed crew. Open will matchmake you or leave your boat open for matchmaking. Closed crew is private so its just you and anyone you explicitly invite from a friends list.

Make sure you have it set to closed crew before sailing if you want that. Or stick to Safer Seas.

That's the thing. It won't let me toggle closed crew 😓 It's always open crew

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just started playing on PS5 during the early access period after having not touched the game since launch years back. Holy crap this feels like a completely different game. Like, a full-fledged game and not just a weird sandbox anymore. Can't get enough of it now.

Been doing solo High Seas shenanigans and absolutely loving everything about it. Just barely made enough money to buy my first ship yesterday. Can't wait to start doing some of the Tall Tales now. Just really impressed by the current state of the game compared to how I remember it.

Anyone got helpful tips or "wish I knew earlier" type advice for someone just getting into it? Been playing basically blind so far aside from what the tutorial tells you.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm 50,000 gold away from buying a sloop. Trying to figure out what to name it now so I don't get paralyzed with indecision in the moment.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I rolled up on a pirate with the PS launch cosmetics at an island to offer some help. I said hello and they instantly scuttled their ship and logged out. This fucking game man lol.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Really depends on your sensitivity to it. I love the shrines and wrecks and underwater caves and things, but also when I fall in the sea on a voyage there's the lizard part of my brain saying 'GTFO NOWWWW'. Generally, it's not too horrible though: the actual threats are sharks, and they take time to appear, or mermen, and that's more obviously around locales like shrines.
Compared to Subnautica, a 3? You don't really do too much underwater with enemies, they eventually added siren/mermaid caves but I actually find those boring myself. When you're not doing those it's pretty much just sharks which die in a few shots and the occasional siren.
Thanks, friends. Sounds like it's manageable. Will probably still freak out if I get to fighting the larger event creatures, but it comes with the territory. Looking forward to giving it a try :)

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thanks, friends. Sounds like it's manageable. Will probably still freak out if I get to fighting the larger event creatures, but it comes with the territory. Looking forward to giving it a try :)

There is also an option to automatically float in the water. It's in Settings / Gameplay, towards the bottom.

www.gamespot.com

Sea Of Thieves Will Now Be Easier For Players With An Underwater Phobia To Play

Rare hopes the new feature will help more players enjoy sailing the high seas.

Dec 11, 2017
Weird question, but if I play this on PS5 on a TV and then open up Sea Of Thieves via Xbox cloud streaming, will my save be there?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
In terms of getting started: once the tutorial's done, could I invite friends to a safer seas session in order to get to grips with things and start earning (albeit at -70% value). Then when we're ready for higher rewards and risk of PvP we could load into a regular session with our previous earnings/cosmetics/etc.? I'd just like to know how progression is handled per account across different sessions.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
In terms of getting started: once the tutorial's done, could I invite friends to a safer seas session in order to get to grips with things and start earning (albeit at -70% value). Then when we're ready for higher rewards and risk of PvP we could load into a regular session with our previous earnings/cosmetics/etc.? I'd just like to know how progression is handled per account across different sessions.

Yep! Infact you can rank up, albeit very slowly, in Safer Seas until rank 40 with all the trading companies but then you need to switch to High Seas to progress further.

Also Safer Seas doesn't let you use your own ship I believe or Emissary flags.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder, don't forget the twitch drops. Before when they started a long period ago, I wasn't interested in the game, so i missed many. Don't miss the current and upcoming ones.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
For those that are new if you do the Maiden Voyage (Tutorial), there is a key ( in the water spring toward the back of the shipwreck on the island ) you can find that will unlock a small hatch on the floor of the front of the shipwreck. That could net you with 30k to start off if need extra cash. Hope that helps some players.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Cashing in Skull of Siren song to Briggsy and I fell down the rock into a tree and couldn't get out. It didn't even do the automatic detection to teleport me back to the ship or anything :( thankfully my rando crewmate cashed it in. What a bummer that would've been. Sad I had to leave them. They looked to be a PS player with the skeleton outfit from the premium edition.

Oct 25, 2017
We played 3 hours last night excited to try out the harpoon and the new skelly bombs and stuff and we didn't see a single human player the entire time

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Bought myself a Sloop and did open crew.

Got a guy and we did a vault and then an ashen captain vault after that.

Got grade 5 emissary and 1.5 hours later and all map pieces and all 80 pieces of loot and everything, we head to the ashen outpost to turn things in.

I say "Imagine if we got sunk rn"

"id cry" he says

a minute later

"enemy sloop headed our way"

I didn't see anyone and got out the rowboat to the dock to grapple everything to the Sovereigns

I'm starting to turn shit in while we still can just in case.

Suddenly our ship blew the fuck up (forgot we had a stronghold keg in the basement!). Lost emissary

Another player got behind us and shot me, I fell off the dock, but I managed to stay alive and kill them and turn in everything as the ship sailed away. Cashed it all just without a multiplier.

sea of thieves bruh moment right there

Last edited:

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have to sign into Xbox Live every time you launch the game on Steam after the last update? I got the game on Steam back in March and only had to sign in the first time I launched the game until a few days ago. Now it is every time.

beebop

May 30, 2023
By the way, I want all PS players to suffer like we have for all these years. I hope you never unsee this:
0lvil2cbrx991.png

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Only took 6 years but finally hit Pirate Legend last night!

Got 2 friends to finally play it on PS5 and we had a blast and got me over the hump to know out the last 2 levels from the Order to get Legend!

We barely scratched the service as we just did a few Order Voyages while taking on a couple Fortresses and a skelley sloop and hunting another player. Amazing considering how far the game has come since playing those alphas and being there day 1 to now having overwhelming number of activities you can now do.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yep! Infact you can rank up, albeit very slowly, in Safer Seas until rank 40 with all the trading companies but then you need to switch to High Seas to progress further.

Also Safer Seas doesn't let you use your own ship I believe or Emissary flags.
Sounds great, thanks! Not sure of the Emissary flag significance yet, but that sounds fair for safer seas.
Once I've got some games cleared off the plate, I'll be nabbing this and roping in some pals for sure.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I ran an order of souls emissary run and turned everything in and i feel like I never got any kind of rep the entire time? Even when picking up stuff i never got a lil bit like what S12 (or S11?) introduced. I know it did it for Gold Hoarders.

Order of souls voyages fucking suck and getting to 50 is kinda annoying lol

Also we sunk a ship and got a skull of siren song but the server migrated and there was nowhere to turn it in. We started a soss voyage to try and turn in 2 but it wouldnt let you turn it in to briggsy still. Wack

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I ran an order of souls emissary run and turned everything in and i feel like I never got any kind of rep the entire time? Even when picking up stuff i never got a lil bit like what S12 (or S11?) introduced. I know it did it for Gold Hoarders.

Order of souls voyages fucking suck and getting to 50 is kinda annoying lol

Also we sunk a ship and got a skull of siren song but the server migrated and there was nowhere to turn it in. We started a soss voyage to try and turn in 2 but it wouldnt let you turn it in to briggsy still. Wack

OoS is mainly focused on skeletons, skulls and similar. Picking up random treasure won't give you rep for them, you need to pick up remains of enemies and what not.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
OoS is mainly focused on skeletons, skulls and similar. Picking up random treasure won't give you rep for them, you need to pick up remains of enemies and what not.
Right, I was running emissary and did a captain skeleton hunt quest. Picked up some voodoo lookin skulls or masks and whatnot. Did various OoS related things and looting. But I dont recall ever seeing my meter go up besides the emissary value. Got up to tier 3

And in my pirate log it seemed i remained at 32 or so after cashing everything in.

Do the Sovereigns not give as much rep or any rep? Even when i turned in some stuff to OoS directly it didnt seem to move…

Also! I learned that if you LOWER your emissary flag you get a lil extra cash/dubloons. Never knew it. Helps to read the tutorials

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Right, I was running emissary and did a captain skeleton hunt quest. Picked up some voodoo lookin skulls or masks and whatnot. Did various OoS related things and looting. But I dont recall ever seeing my meter go up besides the emissary value. Got up to tier 3

And in my pirate log it seemed i remained at 32 or so after cashing everything in.

Do the Sovereigns not give as much rep or any rep? Even when i turned in some stuff to OoS directly it didnt seem to move…

Also! I learned that if you LOWER your emissary flag you get a lil extra cash/dubloons. Never knew it. Helps to read the tutorials

It is not uncommon for you to not see any progress updates when playing SoT. When I was playing, my crew would get that about 50% of the time. There were also sessions when nothing we did ever counted, because their backend infrastructure is not the greatest. Other times there were sessions when progression was delayed by several hours. Sometimes by few days, sometimes they would not be able to recover the lost data and would spot grant rep and gold to players that played during certain times.

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017

Roar is really good for leveling OoS because the islands are all so close but you have to deal with the volcano's sometimes which can sink you if you get unlucky. Once I unlocked the sunken treasury raid for OoS (you should probably have it if you're 30 already) I would do that first (it's quick and easy and would usually get me to emissary level 3) then do skeleton bounties until you're 5, turn in loot grab emissary quest, drop emissary flag and raise it again. rinse repeat. if you're trying to be efficient you really want to get the flag to 5 before turning in as long as you're not in danger of being sunk by another player

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It is not uncommon for you to not see any progress updates when playing SoT. When I was playing, my crew would get that about 50% of the time. There were also sessions when nothing we did ever counted, because their backend infrastructure is not the greatest. Other times there were sessions when progression was delayed by several hours. Sometimes by few days, sometimes they would not be able to recover the lost data and would spot grant rep and gold to players that played during certain times.

I find that the game hits Network Road bumps every so often. For the past couple of years, the game has been running really smooth with few issues.

Recently however, my crew has been experiencing situations where we don't receive our gold right away, and we may not even see it come in during the session. On the bright side, all of the gold and exp has always come in and been awarded by the next time we play.

So while it can be a bit of a letdown to not see our progress indicators going up during a session, it's generally fine. I hope they can smooth this out soon, because it feels great to hear that ca-ching whenever we drop off gold.

By the way, I want all PS players to suffer like we have for all these years. I hope you never unsee this:
0lvil2cbrx991.png

God damnit, why did you do this to me! Haha

To be fair, this may have been intentional from an art perspective. Making anything perfectly aligned and pristine on a pirate ship would probably look unnatural.

You kind of want to rough it up, grime it up and make it look a bit wonky to give it character. Kind of like how all those floorboards look kind of worn, a bit warped, and have gaps.

Last edited:

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
Roar is really good for leveling OoS because the islands are all so close but you have to deal with the volcano's sometimes which can sink you if you get unlucky. Once I unlocked the sunken treasury raid for OoS (you should probably have it if you're 30 already) I would do that first (it's quick and easy and would usually get me to emissary level 3) then do skeleton bounties until you're 5, turn in loot grab emissary quest, drop emissary flag and raise it again. rinse repeat. if you're trying to be efficient you really want to get the flag to 5 before turning in as long as you're not in danger of being sunk by another player

What's the purpose of getting your emissary flag max rank and then dropping it and raising it again? I've seen other people mention it but what's the advantage of doing this?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
What's the purpose of getting your emissary flag max rank and then dropping it and raising it again? I've seen other people mention it but what's the advantage of doing this?

You can claim the emissary quests when you hit max rank and re-level it to 5 by doing the emissary quests to repeat the cycle.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I tell you what, if you've got mid Hourglass skills and have been wanting those streaks… PlayStation only servers with crossplay turned off is the place to be at the moment 👀

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can claim the emissary quests when you hit max rank and re-level it to 5 by doing the emissary quests to repeat the cycle.
So earlier I got to level 5, spoke to the emissary person and accepted the quest, lowered my flag and then I couldn't find the quest. Is it meant to go into my quest radial or did I do something wrong?

Game is so much better than it was when I played a few years ago.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
So earlier I got to level 5, spoke to the emissary person and accepted the quest, lowered my flag and then I couldn't find the quest. Is it meant to go into my quest radial or did I do something wrong?

Game is so much better than it was when I played a few years ago.

Accepted emissary quests are in your radial, they have a little gray emissary style flag next to them

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Accepted emissary quests are in your radial, they have a little gray emissary style flag next to them
It definitely wasn't there but it was probably some kinda user error for sure. I didn't raise the flag back up. Could that be why? Or did my friend also need to accept the quest or something?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

It definitely wasn't there but it was probably some kinda user error for sure. I didn't raise the flag back up. Could that be why? Or did my friend also need to accept the quest or something?

I think this changed in season 11.

"The most significant change to Emissary Quests in Season 11 is that you can no longer keep your Emissary Quest if you've lowered your Emissary Flag or lost your Emissary Flag from sinking. As soon as you no longer have a flag, the Trading Company will cancel your Emissary Quest, and you cannot retrieve any treasure from it."

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think this changed in season 11.

"The most significant change to Emissary Quests in Season 11 is that you can no longer keep your Emissary Quest if you've lowered your Emissary Flag or lost your Emissary Flag from sinking. As soon as you no longer have a flag, the Trading Company will cancel your Emissary Quest, and you cannot retrieve any treasure from it."
Aaah makes sense! Thank you.