Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was a matter of time.

No shocker all gold and rep are turned off.

Tbh what people who continually get upset by being sunk need is solo sloop only servers.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The main thing I want, speaking of different ships, is a way to swap my ship out for a different size one without having to quit the server. I still hate having to make the decision of how many of my friends will be playing that night right at the start and then inevitably having to either sail a bigger ship under-staffed or having to turn friends away because our sloop/Brig is full.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if their servers have a player count limitation or ship count. Because right now servers are limited by ships, not players. You can have a server of 5-6 galleons or 5-6 solo sloops.

Oh, I thought it was 24 players, which could be 6 galleons, or some larger number of ships if brigs/sloops were out. Anecdotally, it seems like when I see sloops on the seas, I tend to see more ships more often, so it seemed legit to me

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I thought it was 24 players, which could be 6 galleons, or some larger number of ships if brigs/sloops were out. Anecdotally, it seems like when I see sloops on the seas, I tend to see more ships more often, so it seemed legit to me

Pretty sure it's just 'six ships', whatever the type they are.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I want, speaking of different ships, is a way to swap my ship out for a different size one without having to quit the server. I still hate having to make the decision of how many of my friends will be playing that night right at the start and then inevitably having to either sail a bigger ship under-staffed or having to turn friends away because our sloop/Brig is full.
I think Rare said they want this as well but its a tough networking problem to solve. That and they don't want exploits like 4 people on a sloop which would be OP.

Should be a way to play on a brig, a 4th friend gets on so you dock at an outpost and tell the shipwright you want a new ship. Old one gets scuttled and your party size increases to 4 and you get a galleon

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rare said they want this as well but its a tough networking problem to solve. That and they don't want exploits like 4 people on a sloop which would be OP.

Should be a way to play on a brig, a 4th friend gets on so you dock at an outpost and tell the shipwright you want a new ship. Old one gets scuttled and your party size increases to 4 and you get a galleon

This is definitely the single thing they could add to the game that would make me happiest. Nothing worse than being on a ship, mid-high emissary rank or something else big going down, and then a friend wants in but can't fit on your current ship. I'm glad the sloop supports two, because at least when I'm solo slooping one friend can hop in if they show up while I'm already mid voyage.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Amazed at how it's hannging on it steam, despite game pass and the steam sales, its still ion the top at the global tops sellers.

www.resetera.com

25 Days After Release On Steam, Sea of Thieves Remains In The Stores Global Top Sellers #2

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers https://steamdb.info/app/1172620/graphs/

Judging from when the concurrency spikes each day the game seems to have really taken off in China especially. Have to wonder if the tools-not-rules social design of SoT will inspire devs to try it in other settings.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Easy bonus 5 doubloons today's Daily Bonus for eating one of every type of fruit.

I'm sure most of us aren't hurting for doubloons but heads up for newer players!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easy bonus 5 doubloons today's Daily Bonus for eating one of every type of fruit.

I'm sure most of us aren't hurting for doubloons but heads up for newer players!
The dumb thing is even for new players this is nothing.

Doubloons went from rare and coveted (i need to finish these event commendations) to pointless. I regretted going 2 minutes out of our way to deliver a rag and bones crate for 5 dubs.

It's far from the most important issue that needs fixing but they REALLY need to add more gold and doubloons sinks into the game. All the randoms I play with have the same story. Sitting at 2+ million gold and like 2-3k doubloons. I think part of the issue is they are making these SWEET cosmetics but only via Pirate Emporium MTX.

1. The shops need a refresh. Like completley new gear and clothing and ship stuff. "Sunset/vault" the existing supply and put it on a rotating supply or something so people can still get it. The last couple of new cosmetics have literally been recolors of old ones.

2. Perfect time to bring back captaincy update. Give us some new stuff to put on our ships and pirates.

3. Either make pirate emporium like "premium" outfits and ship stuff available for gold/doubloons
or
Allow for an ancient coin - doubloons/gold conversion.

the game already has the ancient skeletons so people have a chance at getting coins without paying. BUt if you put up at least SOMETHING of a conversion it would be cool. No one is gonna grind forts to get coins. The conversion wouldn't be that friendly. But something like 1 million gold, 500-1000 doubloons for 1000/800 coins would be fine. Thats enough to buy a pet/emotes some ship stuff

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Joined an open sloop tonight as I sometimes do. Guy I joined had fresh spawn supplies but had several half-done emergent captain riddles for Crooked Masts. I assume he'd been sunk and was returning to get his remaining treasure. As we approached, a sloop sailed toward us from Galleon's Grave. My sloop mate attempted to ask for peace. I sword dashed over to the enemy sloop and turned out they were trigger happy. So I showed them the door to the ferry. They were pirate legends. Felt good to retaliate so successfully.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been working on tall tales solo while at work (pretty easy to set sail to a destination and then do some emails on 2nd screen)

Was bringing items back to Madam Olive for Wild Rose TT when I go into her Order of Souls tent and notice a keg.

I froze and did an audible "uhhhhhhh" and then a sniper shot rang out. But the fkn idiot missed. I run away from the keg and let the guy know over coms and text I'm on a Tall Tale, don't gave any loot he can turn in. He contunues bunny hopping and trying to shoot me (and missing). It's clear its just a dick who wants to troll. I don't have any food on me and so I don't feel confident in winning this fight so I make sure to pistol the barrel so he can't use it on my ship. I was gonna respawn back and kill him considering he didn't have a boat at the outpost. I spawn back to see he used a second keg on my ship but I quickly recovered by sailing away, patching, and coming back. Not sure why he didn't defend the ship.

I come back and he's hidden the chest. I see a glint in the corner of my vision so I go to it and he emerges from a tuck in a bush shooting at me. I ask him what his deal is. No response. Just trying to bunnyhop tryhard double gun me. I connect with a sword lunge and follow up pistol shot and he dies. I type get rekt in chat and continue my tall tale.

What a weird experience. You really gonna camp the OoS tent for who knows how long?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been working on tall tales solo while at work (pretty easy to set sail to a destination and then do some emails on 2nd screen)

Was bringing items back to Madam Olive for Wild Rose TT when I go into her Order of Souls tent and notice a keg.

I froze and did an audible "uhhhhhhh" and then a sniper shot rang out. But the fkn idiot missed. I run away from the keg and let the guy know over coms and text I'm on a Tall Tale, don't gave any loot he can turn in. He contunues bunny hopping and trying to shoot me (and missing). It's clear its just a dick who wants to troll. I don't have any food on me and so I don't feel confident in winning this fight so I make sure to pistol the barrel so he can't use it on my ship. I was gonna respawn back and kill him considering he didn't have a boat at the outpost. I spawn back to see he used a second keg on my ship but I quickly recovered by sailing away, patching, and coming back. Not sure why he didn't defend the ship.

I come back and he's hidden the chest. I see a glint in the corner of my vision so I go to it and he emerges from a tuck in a bush shooting at me. I ask him what his deal is. No response. Just trying to bunnyhop tryhard double gun me. I connect with a sword lunge and follow up pistol shot and he dies. I type get rekt in chat and continue my tall tale.

What a weird experience. You really gonna camp the OoS tent for who knows how long?

This is someone who has watched too many Twitch clip compilation videos on YouTube and think that the ultimate way to play SoT is to tuck or camp at an outpost.

Like - how much loot did they think they'd steal from an Order of Souls cash-in anyway? Might as well go and find your own...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is someone who has watched too many Twitch clip compilation videos on YouTube and think that the ultimate way to play SoT is to tuck or camp at an outpost.

Like - how much loot did they think they'd steal from an Order of Souls cash-in anyway? Might as well go and find your own...
Real pirates camp for Athena's.

https://twitter.com/tawpgun/status/1002703929656954882?s=20

This steal was hilarious because as my crew was about to log off we got tipped off by a sloop that came by that let us know the galleon they allied with on an Athena betrayed them. The original alliance was for the sloop to help them on their normal tasks to keep the loot and the galleon gets to the athena quicker. They let us know they were on the Athena island if we wanted to sink them. My crew was getting off but I had time. Sailed to a nearby fort, got a keg, sailed back and scuttled and waited.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This steal was hilarious because as my crew was about to log off we got tipped off by a sloop that came by that let us know the galleon they allied with on an Athena betrayed them. The original alliance was for the sloop to help them on their normal tasks to keep the loot and the galleon gets to the athena quicker. They let us know they were on the Athena island if we wanted to sink them. My crew was getting off but I had time. Sailed to a nearby fort, got a keg, sailed back and scuttled and waited.

THAT'S how you do it!

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I had a couple guys tuck on my ship, as it was sinking (to a combo of kraken and skellie galleon after we used up all our shit on the fleet), they killed me as I got on the rowboat, but then both died to the rest of my crew. Then they were talking smack on the ferry of the damned about how well they tucked on us. It's like, motherfuckers, you're both dead and we still got the rowboat and all the loot?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I had a couple guys tuck on my ship, as it was sinking (to a combo of kraken and skellie galleon after we used up all our shit on the fleet), they killed me as I got on the rowboat, but then both died to the rest of my crew. Then they were talking smack on the ferry of the damned about how well they tucked on us. It's like, motherfuckers, you're both dead and we still got the rowboat and all the loot?

You've gotta take your wins where you can I guess (even if it's ultimately a loss) 😅

klaus

Oct 28, 2017

Very nice :)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, there is something that I have always wondered

Is there any kind of voyage or world event that requires you to ally with other ship, or in theory everything could be done with a 4 man crew?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Those ghost fleet battles have really kicked my cannon aim up a notch. Got harassed by a galleon on a sloop, and we managed to get them anchored and started circling around taking potshots and i cant tell you how many times I heard the pirate killed sound from half blind wave obscured shots running on instinct.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

Is there any kind of voyage or world event that requires you to ally with other ship, or in theory everything could be done with a 4 man crew?

There are some Commendations (just search for "alliance" on this page) that award doubloons/progress towards titles/etc. that require you to be in an alliance or to work with another crew (like the big Skeleton Thrones).

But for the most part all of the voyages/world events can be done with 1 crew.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

There are some Commendations that award doubloons/progress towards titles/etc. that require you to be in an alliance or to work with another crew (like the big Skeleton Thrones).

But all of the voyages/world events can be done with 1 crew.

I was actually always super bummed at the massive negative community response to co-op tasks. They basically dropped them at a certain point because fans would get so pissy that they couldn't complete them on their own. The first few monthly events all had a deep 'work together' element and it was super fun.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A 4 man crew is more than enough to tackle anything in the world. Like people said, there are commendations to alliance stuff but thats about it.

I was actually always super bummed at the massive negative community response to co-op tasks. They basically dropped them at a certain point because fans would get so pissy that they couldn't complete them on their own. The first few monthly events all had a deep 'work together' element and it was super fun.

AGREEEEE

FInding another crew for Hungering Deep or Skeleton THrones was so much fun. Now its just random commendations for alliances. Would love a world event that required more than 1 crew to complete.

Also I just had this thought...

With tall tale checkpoints.... can I technically spawn a keg on command (Art of Trickster Tall Tale)

Granted you cant set it off normally but you can totally have one in a pinch if need be

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Got my emissary sails!
bomb2.png

bomb3.png

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i think part of it is a lot of players have a hard time approaching/"reading" boats to form up alliances with so they find those goals difficult. I have an easy time of it because i know how to pick a mark, but i notice my friends always suggesting we try and talk to every boat we see when theres alliance commendations even if (to name a recent example) they're a reapers galleon and we're a grade v sloop loaded with loot.

Ive also met players who sail up to my boat to try and form an alliance but instantly come with an attitude and its like why would i want to work with you?

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gotta love it when you're at the Reaper's Hideout to sell your loot, a sloop sails over, and then the two players on it proceed to complain while we're sinking them - hurling toxic insults while saying they had nothing.

"Why are you sinking us, we have nothing."

If we are cashing in or getting ready to and you've sailed within cannon range, it does not matter if you have loot or not. Especially if we are running Reaper's Bones emissary and have a fort + reaper's bounty aboard. You are getting sunk/killed. And the gamer words tossed our way only makes the victory the sweeter.

The idea that you have to have had loot in order to be eligible for sinking is laughable. I guess then it won't matter if your boat spawns across the map, then!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure the blunder's whole shtick is its currently the only gun that does knockback and it was removed from EoR and the flintlock instead
That might be true.

TheKeyPit I think the point I was eventually trying to make is the Blundy is not regarded as an OP gun. Its def weaker than it was at some point. The sword got some pretty big buffs recently. I think the best PvP and all around loadout is Pistol Sword. This might be outdated info but the damage goes as follows

Cutlass
25/60 (slash/lunge)

Flintlock

Blunderbuss
10 x 10 (100)
]Eye of Reach
Firebomb
10/33 (Hit/DoT)

Blunderbomb
50/15 (Direct Hit/Splash Damage)

So you can do a pistol (which hipfires fantastic) and 2 sword swipes. Sword is nice because you get the traversal benefits and not having to worry about ammo. But to be honest you can watch 5 different streams and everyone will be using a different loadout. I think the only objectively bad one is blunder sword for redundancy but even that has uses for boarding protection and fort PvE

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That might be true.

TheKeyPit I think the point I was eventually trying to make is the Blundy is not regarded as an OP gun. Its def weaker than it was at some point. The sword got some pretty big buffs recently. I think the best PvP and all around loadout is Pistol Sword. This might be outdated info but the damage goes as follows

Cutlass
25/60 (slash/lunge)

Flintlock

Blunderbuss
10 x 10 (100)
]Eye of Reach
Firebomb
10/33 (Hit/DoT)

Blunderbomb
50/15 (Direct Hit/Splash Damage)

So you can do a pistol (which hipfires fantastic) and 2 sword swipes. Sword is nice because you get the traversal benefits and not having to worry about ammo. But to be honest you can watch 5 different streams and everyone will be using a different loadout. I think the only objectively bad one is blunder sword for redundancy but even that has uses for boarding protection and fort PvE
Thanks for the detailed post.

The blunderbuss could use a hitmarker like the Gnasher has in Gears 5 where you see how many pellets hit.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is just starting to try and get in to this game, I don't understand voyages? Do they not disappear from the quest table when they are complete? I am doing these skull bounty ones, I kill the skeletons and get the "Foul Bounty Skull" items, and then hand them in to the witch lady. I don't have the target map on my quest radial anymore. But if I go back to the ship, the voyage is still on the quest table and all I can do is cancel it? Is it always this way, or I have I never actually properly finished a voyage?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is just starting to try and get in to this game, I don't understand voyages? Do they not disappear from the quest table when they are complete? I am doing these skull bounty ones, I kill the skeletons and get the "Foul Bounty Skull" items, and then hand them in to the witch lady. I don't have the target map on my quest radial anymore. But if I go back to the ship, the voyage is still on the quest table and all I can do is cancel it? Is it always this way, or I have I never actually properly finished a voyage?

Sometimes a voyage gives you multiple maps to complete; it's possible you got the bounty skulls from 1 of the islands but not the rest

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely check you map wheel. Maybe screenshots because the way you describe it, it does sound like a bug. Once you kill ALL the skeletons for your voyage the voyage should disappear.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes a voyage gives you multiple maps to complete; it's possible you got the bounty skulls from 1 of the islands but not the rest

Definitely check you map wheel. Maybe screenshots because the way you describe it, it does sound like a bug. Once you kill ALL the skeletons for your voyage the voyage should disappear.

Thank you; figured out what I was doing, just a newb mistake... I guess there was another skeleton unrelated to my quest and I took his skull.

I can see the appeal of this game if things are going your way... once I figured it out, I went on a big adventure for the Order of Souls under their flag. I decided to keep hoarding the stuff in my ship because I think that makes you get more money when you turn everything in, if your emissary flag level is high. At any rate, took on a whole bunch of skeleton quests, and found a lot of treasure and gems along the way. My ship really took a beating over the whole adventure, but I managed to keep the my ship alive to get the emissary flag to level 3 (almost level 4), and Order of Souls up to level 21 (with Gold Hoarders up to 15 and Merchants to 11); there were seemingly dozens of planks on our little sloop holding things together, and even the ships wheel had been blown up and needed to be repaired with some planks.

One trip back I was surprised by a ship full of the undead which popped up out of the water, Davy Jones style, and started attacking me. Somehow we were able to fight it off with every canon ball we had (and a few flaming ones for good measure). There was a lot of patching up to do after the fight, but the enemy ship left behind a good amount of treasure in the wreckage as well.

Another particularly close call when I was just trying to get back to an outpost with some substantial loot aboard, and there happened to be a player docked there and they started giving chase. I really didn't want to lose my ranked up emissary flag, so I fled and ended up going straight into a nearby storm. I doused all of the lanterns and fought to keep on a sane heading in the storm, but when I finally came out the other side, the other ship was no where in sight. I was able to get to a different outpost and turn in my loot.

Overall, a pretty great time, I can definitely see it being really enjoyable with a crew of friends.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Another question: How can I tell when I have done a Daily Bounty? Today it said "turn in 3 treasure chests to the gold horder" for the daily bounty. I did that, but nothing special happened and I didn't get any extra money. Do I need to get a "daily bounty" quest or something from someone first in order to be able to do this? I only know about it because it was on the main screen after login.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie.

They need more good money/doubloon sinks in this game. I loved the idea of bonus events and bounties but 3k or 5 doubloons is nothing to me.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Just go to the Event Hub and have a look.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/event-hub

There's no real in-game notice, the reward just sneaks into your currency and if you're selling stuff at the same time you really won't notice.

Ah ok; I didn't know about the Events Hub; it says I already did it, and the reward appears in "up to 1 working day".

Thanks!

Also had my first encounter with a hostile Pirate Legend player... so far player encounters have been few and far between for me. I expected a lot more because the game was lighting up the charts on Steam, but maybe the WIn10 / Gamepass version and the Steam version do not share servers? Anyway, pretty exciting little scrap: we were decently loaded with a bunch of crates, 6 chests, and a skull or two, and didn't want to lose that. His Brigantine gave chase to our Sloop for a while, hit us a number of times, and we fired back (to not much effect). Tried to make a break for it by sailing into a headwind where the Sloop should be faster, but still were facing trouble (and hit by a few good shots as well). Puled into a fortress/island (Thieves Cove?), which had an interior area we could hide in, and once we were past the guns the AI canons started shooting at the other players Brigantine instead of us. Seems like that made him pull off and he came into the water himself to board our ship. Got us a few times, but a respawn later (and some underwater battles) I managed to kill him. We made a mad dash back to the ship, and high-tailed it out on the fastest direction.

Even encountered a Skelly ship on the way back that rose out of the waters to surprise us: we were in pretty bad shape, but in some great luck the Skelly ship smashed into some rocks, enabling us to pull ahead and make it to the outpost. We quickly unloaded all of our chests and other loot, and finally breathed a sigh of relief.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok; I didn't know about the Events Hub; it says I already did it, and the reward appears in "up to 1 working day".

Thanks!

Also had my first encounter with a hostile Pirate Legend player... so far player encounters have been few and far between for me. I expected a lot more because the game was lighting up the charts on Steam, but maybe the WIn10 / Gamepass version and the Steam version do not share servers? Anyway, pretty exciting little scrap: we were decently loaded with a bunch of crates, 6 chests, and a skull or two, and didn't want to lose that. His Brigantine gave chase to our Sloop for a while, hit us a number of times, and we fired back (to not much effect). Tried to make a break for it by sailing into a headwind where the Sloop should be faster, but still were facing trouble (and hit by a few good shots as well). Puled into a fortress/island (Thieves Cove?), which had an interior area we could hide in, and once we were past the guns the AI canons started shooting at the other players Brigantine instead of us. Seems like that made him pull off and he came into the water himself to board our ship. Got us a few times, but a respawn later (and some underwater battles) I managed to kill him. We made a mad dash back to the ship, and high-tailed it out on the fastest direction.

Even encountered a Skelly ship on the way back that rose out of the waters to surprise us: we were in pretty bad shape, but in some great luck the Skelly ship smashed into some rocks, enabling us to pull ahead and make it to the outpost. We quickly unloaded all of our chests and other loot, and finally breathed a sigh of relief.
This is why PvE only servers would suck. I get people want to sail the seas without dealing with other players but part of the appeal of the game is that danger of other players.