• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I owe 100k+ for graduate school...but I would be grateful for 50k off - it would lower my payments and help so many others buy houses and just be able to live.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, this would be so good for this country...

There's no way it'll pass.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd do a backflip if this happened. And if I landed on my neck and died I wouldn't have to pay the rest I'd still owe!

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be very difficult to get 50k in debt just for undergrad, so I'd cautiously assume it would.
You'd be surprised then.

I'd wager most of the people I went to law school with had an easy 100K+ in undergrad debt before their first $29K tuition bill for fall semester 1L.

Couldn't have been me -- literally, couldn't afford it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or you could pack it into an education reform bill, making the actual work on the education reform bill easier to move forward on. Which also makes the whole thing harder to challenge in courts.
Making this part of a more general education reform bill would probably make it ineligible for the use of reconciliation and thus the filibuster reers it's ugly head. Reconciliation has a few requirements. You can pass one bill each through reconciliation on the following issues: Spending, Revenue, and the federal debt limit. The COVID stimulus being done right now is being done under the spending side, so that leaves revenue and debt limit, but the latter is pretty irrelevant to most discussions on reconciliation for obvious reasons

So this bill could be done because it affects revenue (specifically the revenue obtained from federal student loans). But affecting revenue isn't enough for reconciliation to be applicable. If any of these apply to a specific bill it is ineligible
  1. If it does not produce a change in outlays or revenues;
  2. If it produces an outlay increase or revenue decrease when the instructed committee is not in compliance with its instructions;
  3. If it is outside the jurisdiction of the committee that submitted the title or provision for inclusion in the reconciliation measure;
  4. If it produces a change in outlays or revenues which is merely incidental to the non-budgetary components of the provision;
  5. If it would increase the deficit for a fiscal year beyond those covered by the reconciliation measure (usually a period of ten years);[SUP][c][/SUP] or
  6. If it recommends changes in Social Security.
If you made it about general education reform it would probably be ineligible for rule 4 since the main focus of the bill is no longer on an issue of revenue which is now only one small aspect of the bill

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not up to date on who champions what plan - would this this include graduate school debt?

Last I recall, Biden's plan was 10k for 'any' loans, with more speciifcally oriented towards undergrad up to (potentially) 50k, but I feel I must be misremembering.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making this part of a more general education reform bill would probably make it ineligible for the use of reconciliation and thus the filibuster reers it's ugly head. Reconciliation has a few requirements. You can pass one bill each through reconciliation on the following issues: Spending, Revenue, and the federal debt limit. The COVID stimulus being done right now is being done under the spending side, so that leaves revenue and debt limit, but the latter is pretty irrelevant to most discussions on reconciliation for obvious reasons

So this bill could be done because it affects revenue (specifically the revenue obtained from federal student loans). But affecting revenue isn't enough for reconciliation to be applicable. If any of these apply to a specific bill it is ineligible

If you made it about general education reform it would probably be ineligible for rule 4 since the main focus of the bill is no longer on an issue of revenue which is now only one small aspect of the bill
Same could be said of $15 minimum wage, and yet that's happening. Actually same could be said of the ACA, and it passed by budget reconciliation.
So I'm not up to date on who champions what plan - would this this include graduate school debt?

Last I recall, Biden's plan was 10k for 'any' loans, with more speciifcally oriented towards undergrad up to (potentially) 50k, but I feel I must be misremembering.
This is a new plan and we don't know the details.

Telcius

Sep 21, 2020
It'd be very difficult to get 50k in debt just for undergrad, so I'd cautiously assume it would.

It's not very difficult to get 50k in debt just for undergrad. When I started college at a public state university, it was about $18,000 per year for tuition and living expenses. By the time I graduated, that number inflated to nearly $30,000 per year. If your family doesn't help out with education expenses, but the government thinks they can contribute, good luck.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i just looked at where i graduated and 50k is one year. state school is 18k in state and 36k out. now maybe if you take into account of scholarships and any financial aid you get that could be true, but getting 50k in debt for tuition alone isn't that crazy.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i just looked at where i graduated and 50k is one year. state school is 18k in state and 36k out. now maybe if you take into account of scholarships and any financial aid you get that could be true, but getting 50k in debt for tuition alone isn't that crazy.
It's not very difficult to get 50k in debt just for undergrad. When I started college at a public state university, it was about $18,000 per year for tuition and living expenses. By the time I graduated, that number inflated to nearly $30,000 per year. If your family doesn't help out with education expenses, but the government thinks they can contribute, good luck.
I stand corrected.

I have a BA and owe $60k after interest. It's insane.
Damn, my BA only cost me 30k. Did have some scholarships, though.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they do Reconciliation, it would have to be next year, right? It can't be added to the current package...

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
$8000 a semester in tuition. 8 semesters to graduate.

$64000. That's at the school I graduated from, a state school.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If this goes through, all of my student debt goes away. Still got a nagging dental bill, but I can knock that out in no time. In general, it'd be one more step to, you know, living.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I'm at 43K with just my undergrad. Another two semesters and I'd be above 50K for just my undergrad. I was a shit student and took six years to get my degree, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people with 50K+ with just their undergrad or no degree.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I questions about this.

What if I'm currently going to college for my Bachelors and will have to take out a federal student loan for living expenses?

I'll be in school for at least the next 2.5 years.

Am I covered if my loans would be less than 20k by graduation?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these not federal loans? I have two FFELP loans for about $8k total that were purchased or whatever by Navient. I assume these would qualify.
Before 2010 many of the ffelp loans were administered by banks with Government backing. apparently there is a bit of a void there as 6 million or so people found out the cares act stuff did not apply to them due to the bank loophole

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Are these not federal loans? I have two FFELP loans for about $8k total that were purchased or whatever by Navient. I assume these would qualify.

Are your loans covered by the pause on payments from the CARES Act and subsequent extensions? That's the litmus test, I believe.

Before 2010 many of the ffelp loans were administered by banks with Government backing. apparently there is a bit of a void there as 6 million or so people found out the cares act stuff did not apply to them due to the bank loophole

Yep. I'm one of those 6 million. It stinks. Not like I ever had any choice in the matter.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
I have over $160k in medical school loans, with half of that being federal loans. This would be a huge boost as I am about to complete residency and finally enter the workforce after 15+ years of undergraduate and medical education.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6 of our loans are Direct and FFELP and are paused and show up in our Federal Inbox. Our Private Inbox has 1 FFELP loan, and it's not on pause. I assume the FFELP in the Federal category are forgivable if they are paused?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, please. I have 30k of undergrad debt. That would eliminate all of my debt outside of one private loan I'm chipping away at.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'd probably take the money I've got and put it into a down payment on a house. So, I guess if you want to save the urban housing market, it's one way.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
6 of our loans are Direct and FFELP and are paused and show up in our Federal Inbox. Our Private Inbox has 1 FFELP loan, and it's not on pause. I assume the FFELP in the Federal category are forgivable if they are paused?

Anything that's federal will be covered. Here's hoping they find a way to cover the rest. Leaving 6 million people out in the cold because a private lender snatched up their Perkins loan or the like isn't great.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I strongly support this, I also hope that we will implement preventative measures that won't let student loan debt balloon like this again
If they can help me get my Bachelors degree for free and help with my living expenses, that would be great.

Otherwise, I'll join the student debt loan gang since by debt burden (calculated by FAFSA) is projected to be low.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please! I am paying for my and my wife's student loans, so $100k removed would make a big difference in our lives. We'd still owe some, but it wouldn't be suffocating anymore.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, I hope this happens so those of you saddled with this kind of debt can get some relief. I can't imagine being buried that deep. I have like $6k in credit cards that's taking me forever to pay off.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get my hopes up, that would literally wipe out all my student debt and be a huge fucking help to me.

Oct 28, 2017

giphygbjr1.gif

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
This would be amazing. I have about $11k in student loans I haven't been able to pay off. ;(

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I really hope you guys in the US get this and further education reform is put into place to remove the burden of education fees from students and to move into a system where the government helps students pay for tertiary education.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I would fucking cry. Having all my loans removed and all my girlfriend's public loans, we could look for a house years sooner than we currently anticipate.