• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is eventually going to port DirectStorage to PC, which should help a lot specifically for gaming.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
When comparing this, and especially the price of it, with the PS5 internal will have please consider the following.

This is a PRO part (no you do not need PRO gear when being a Gaming Pro), parts like this support daily rewrite of a huge portion of all the storage. Write performance will not be important in SONYs case!
(any solution will be a lot faster than current Console HDs, the small amount of writes can be buffered in the IO-chip RAM - after compression)

This 980 has a maximum available physical size, SONY will not need to care about that, especially not if placed directly on the motherboard (cheapest and less likely to cause future problems). SONY went wide instead with 12 NAND channels - no need to use the latest and greatest (and most expensive) tech.

This is 1TB, SONYs is 825GB (a ~20% saving right there).

This 980 is a retail part meaning that every step in the retail chain wants/needs their share of the price (buy a million of them and you will get a different price). To me it looks like SONY is setting up direct sales channels alternatively very low margin for the first million of units sold (per store) - fits only online stores.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, the sequential read and write speeds don't matter unless all you do is move giant files from one NVMe to another. It's the random reads and writes you need to pay attention to. That's the real speed of these drives. If you don't "feel" the difference in real world application on your drive despite it being rated higher than some other SSD you moved from, the reason will be in the random read/write performance.

Don't let the marketing of sequential performance continue to trick you.

Ah you bought into Intel in 2020? I guess everyone makes mistakes.

Late 2019 when my old mobo died. After I hit post I thought new was being generous.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Guys, the sequential read and write speeds don't matter unless all you do is move giant files from one NVMe to another. It's the random reads and writes you need to pay attention to. That's the real speed of these drives. If you don't "feel" the difference in real world application on your drive despite it being rated higher than some other SSD you moved from, the reason will be in the random read/write performance.

Don't let the marketing of sequential performance continue to trick you.

Ah you bought into Intel in 2020? I guess everyone makes mistakes.
Yeah, they seem to be very much like car MPG claims.

You only get that fuel efficiency if you drive down a long straight road for 8 hours at 50mph.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Yeah that's why I just can't get behind the idea of a $399 PS5 or Series X, just makes no sense. I still think we're looking at $600 regular consoles and a $549 Digital with series S being $349 or so.

To be fair the Microsoft SSD is comparable to SSDs that can currently be bought for about $100 USD on Amazon. It's probably not a massive part cost compared to Sony's bleeding edge one.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Damn looks like will need to wait a couple of years before you can affordably add storage to ps5.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Ouch at the price lol.
Well, the price is very high. Thus prepare to shuffle games around as you can backup them on external SSD or HDD, even thought you can't play them.
2. Microsoft's SSD is only 2.4 GB/s raw, which doesn't even max out the capacity of PCIE 3.0. You can get a 2.4 GB/s SSD for under $200 these days
Getting a 2.4GB/s SSD won't give you the same performance than the Xbox SSD. 2.4GB/s is the sustained speed for the consoles SSD.
Live footage of the $399 PS5 DE dream:
19c0bd5ee8e9d2bf709bfdabbb6f6851.gif
Yep, 400$ is out of question. The companies wouldn't play chicken forever unless the bad news is the price.
Might as well buy a 2nd PS5 and spread your games across 2 systems.
Lmao, true.
Didn't they lose a ton of money on every OG PS3 they sold? It may be unlikely but it's definitely not impossible.
It is impossible, because PS3 was a huge mistake, which ate all profits made by PS1 and PS2. Remember they can't sell more than they can produce and if they believe all PS5 will be sold at 500$ than selling at 400$ is a dumb choice. Lowering the price, if your product doesn't sell is always possible.
I'm happy to read the errors you found. NVMe drives shine with large data transfers, but for everyday usage, you won't find some super duper difference over SATA. It certainly (and currently) makes little to no difference in game loading over SATA SSDs. This isn't an HDD ā†’ SSD situation.
PC will get some of the goods via Microsoft work for Series X called DirectStorage. I think this will help and imo it's wrong to say PS5 has a huge advantage compared to this SSD, after PC got some of the benefits.
i seriously hope sony and other developers make game sizes small because its gonna suck having to juggle games until the price of ssds go down.
I think games will stay in the same ballpark or get bigger. Devs save space, because duplicated assets aren't necessary anymore. However assets and so on will get bigger.

Oct 27, 2017
$400, it kind of puts into perspective how much loss MS or Sony will take if they price their consoles at that level. This SSD is not that far off what's in the consoles.
Well this is probably marked up heavily since it's still very niche and the market that will buy it clearly pays premiums. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually cost $100 to make, sold at $400 for 4x profit (well minus retailer cut and any other fees)

I still don't expect PS5 SSD to add more than $75 to BOm ($50-$75ish) since they're ordering 50-100M, and Samsung at best will be making maybe a few million Of these for sale? I'm not an expert of course just my guess.

especially since Samsung doesn't take a cut on anything after the initial sale of this SSD, I imagine that is a big reason why the MSRP would be so high but again idk I'm probably wrong

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
When was this confirmed? That's not how Cerny described it during the talk. He talked about replacing drives, not adding expansion to the pre existing drive.
I'm not sure when it was confirmed, but I don't remember it ever sounding like the drive could be replaced. They have an add on slot. The main storage is soldered to the motherboard. They talked about *expandability* via PCI-E 4.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair the Microsoft SSD is comparable to SSDs that can currently be bought for about $100 USD on Amazon. It's probably not a massive part cost compared to Sony's bleeding edge one.
Sony's solution isn't really bleeding edge. It's simply more expensive. They will use better performing TLC NAND modules and 12 channels.
MS's solution can be achieved with current SSD controllers and QLC NAND modules. The letter is huge benefit for increasing the storage per price quota.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moving from a 500MB/s sata SSD to 3GB/s NvME I didn't notice a huge gain on load times. Curious what is going to be required to get PS5 Ratchet and Clank like load times on PC, can't be entirely down to the hardware by itself or the software.

The software needs to use it as best as it can. The benefit of console ssds is that all consoles use them. Very few pc games require an ssd, i expect that to continue for some years

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
still don't expect PS5 SSD to add more than $75 to BOm ($50-$75ish) since they're ordering 50-100M,
I highly doubt Sony is ordering 50-100m right away. They need to see how good the PS5 will sell, even thought they can expect the PS5 to be successful. But what if it's not? Let's take the PS3 as a example. Sony didn't order 130 million HDD and if they would have, they would've a big problem.

I don't think Samsung is doing such deals either, because they won't know how much PS5 sells and they are in a good position in the SSD sector. Sure, companies purchasing high volumes will get a good deal. But it's not like Samsung is desperate and accepts everything.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

SONYs is smaller, can use slower NAND chips (but more). If the NAND controller is SONYs design they can wait to earn back the development cost.
Edit: mounting chips on mother board is also less expensive than connector, labor, custom heat shield

SONYs SSD might actually be cheaper than Microsofts...

Last edited:

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Sony's SSD is probably quite different from this Samsung pro sku. The type of chips used, the controller and firmware, amount of embedded dram, and needing to package it on a m.2 board vs. direct soldered onto mobo. Also no retail markup. If this SSD says 1tb usable, it probably has at least 10% more overprovisioned.
I suspect the Sony drive costs closer to $90-140 to Sony (not counting r&d) to include in parts costs.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There seems to be lots of PS5 talk here, but what about PCs?

Would boot to Windows 10 finally be just down from 1 sec to nearly instantaneous?
People seem to think that stuff on the disk isn't compressed or that processes don't have to be run?

It's not just straight up x byte on disk to x byte on RAM, and the bottlenecks could also be down the line.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
On another note. WTF does my phone keyboard disappear when ever I hit enter or backspace!
It's an Android Chrome bug. I also have this issue with another Xenforo forums that was just recently updated to the latest version.

xenforo.com

Browser issue - Pressing enter in Android keyboard hides the keyboard

Latest Chrome Stable (85.0.4183.81) Tried with SwiftKey, Gboard and Samsung Keyboard. Got two other members of my board to verify. Checked here and happens here as well. While trying to respond in a thread... Keyboard disappears as soon as you press enter. End result is that you end up...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Can't wait to put one of these babies in my PS5.
What's the point if this is limited to 1TB ? You have to consider PS5 solution is a 12 channels interface while the Samsung has probably less.
You also have to considered that you have two controller to use (the PS5 one and the SSD one).
So, if you expected to improve performance by bying a 400$ SSD, I think you will be disappointed.

Nov 14, 2017
I still think the leaked BOM for PS5 and Series X are bullshit due to how expensive some of these components are for consumers.
Depending on the type of flash NAND they are using, prices in bulk are substantially lower. I think you can get 32GB of 3D TLC NAND for just under $3, for example, whereas I think this 980 is using 2 layer MLC which is more like 8GB for $2.50. Those are spot prices too; if you're in the market for a few million+ you can get nice bulk discounts from the foundries.

Given that Sony and MS either have their own custom or semi-custom SSD controllers, should be able to get a good balance of price and performance with a flash technology that doesn't break the bank.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
What's the point if this is limited to 1TB ? You have to consider PS5 solution is a 12 channels interface while the Samsung has probably less.
You also have to considered that you have two controller to use (the PS5 one and the SSD one).
So, if you expected to improve performance by bying a 400$ SSD, I think you will be disappointed.

Obviously the point is to get an additional 1TB of space for PS5 games, for a total of 1.825 TB.

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt Sony is ordering 50-100m right away. They need to see how good the PS5 will sell, even thought they can expect the PS5 to be successful. But what if it's not? Let's take the PS3 as a example. Sony didn't order 130 million HDD and if they would have, they would've a big problem.

I don't think Samsung is doing such deals either, because they won't know how much PS5 sells and they are in a good position in the SSD sector. Sure, companies purchasing high volumes will get a good deal. But it's not like Samsung is desperate and accepts everything.
Well yeah of course it's not set at 50-100M but it's a contract they want because they know there is strong potential for it to hit those marks. The lowest selling Sony home console ever sold 80M+. I'm sure they're getting a better deal than we think and I'm also sure that the SSD maker has some clauses where they get X amount of money should it end up being a Wii U level flop somehow.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Obviously the point is to get an additional 1TB of space for PS5 games, for a total of 1.825 TB.
On the matter, I am still at this from the digital foundry article :
Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more.
Have we got any information on the matter I missed ?

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
PC will get some of the goods via Microsoft work for Series X called DirectStorage. I think this will help and imo it's wrong to say PS5 has a huge advantage compared to this SSD, after PC got some of the benefits.
I didn't say PS5 had "a huge advantage" and it's been established that PC will benefit from the consoles getting NVMe drives.

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
On the matter, I am still at this from the digital foundry article :

Have we got any information on the matter I missed ?
I don't know if there's been any new info but holy shit if it's a replacement that's the stupidest thing ever. It's gonna be like 4 years before a 2tb version of one of these reaches reasonable prices, half way through the gen we can finally upgrade.

It just has to be in addition to.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Well, back to the old standby. While he does talk about adding to your storage and a bay in the PS5, that's not necessarily different to how it works in PS3s and PS4s. Going by the slides, it's entirely possible that the PS5 SSD is itself an m.2 drive, with a simple controller and 12 channels of flash. It kinda looks like he's suggesting there's a separate slot, but it might make their I/O controller more complex.

I wouldn't make a definitive statement either way.

https://playstationvr.hateblo.jp/entry/2020/03/30/181003
Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important; flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console.

Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it if you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal.

You can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD.

If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage.

We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs.

These are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5.

As for which ones we support and when I'll get to that in a moment.

They connect through the custom I/O unit just like our SSD does.

So they can take full advantage of the decompression I/O coprocessors and all the other features I was talking about.

Here's the catch though that commercial drive has to be at least as fast as ours games that rely on the speed of our SSD need to work flawlessly with M.2 drive.

When I gave the Wired interview last year I said that the PlayStation 5 SSD was faster than anything available on PC.

At the time commercial M.2 drives used PCIe 3.0 and 4 lanes of that cap out at 3.5 gigabytes a second.

In other words no PCIe 3.0 Drive can hit the required spec.

M.2 drives with PCIe 4.0 or now out in the market we're getting our in samples and seeing 4 or 5 gigabytes a second from them.

By year's end I expect there will be drives that saturate 4.0 and support seven gigabytes a second having said that we are comparing apples and oranges though because that commercial M.2 Drive will have its own architecture its own flash controller and so on.

For example the NVMe specification lays out a priority scheme for requests that the M.2 drives can use.

And that scheme is pretty nice but it only has two true priority levels our drive supports six.

We can hook up a drive with only two priority levels definitely but our custom I/O unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities rather than the M.2 drives flash controller and so the M.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach.

That Commercial Drive also needs to physically fit inside of the bay we created in PlayStation 5 for M.ļ¼’ drives.

Unlike internal hard drives there's unfortunately no standard for the height of an M.2 Drive and some M.ļ¼’ drives have giant heat sinks in fact some of them even have their own fans.

Right now we're getting em to drive samples and benchmarking them in various ways when games hit in beta as they get ready for the PlayStation 5 launch at year-end we'll also be doing some compatibility testing to make sure that the architecture of particular M.2 drives isn't too foreign for the games to handle.

Once we've done that compatibility testing we should be able to start letting you know which drives will physically fit and which drive samples have benchmark appropriately high in our testing.

It would be great if that happened by launch but it's likely to be a bit past it so please hold off on getting that M.2 drive until you hear from us.

Ok back to our principles.

The 825GB NAND is on the the board. There is no drive to swap out. Any drive that you add will purely be an expansion to the existing SSD.
I keep seeing people say that. Is there a direct reference someone can quote? A teardown pic? Anything other than assumption? I agree it'd make the most sense, but I don't see any proof of it.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
When was this confirmed? That's not how Cerny described it during the talk. He talked about replacing drives, not adding expansion to the pre existing drive.
It's definitely soldered on. 1) its a completely unique controller design*, and thermally and cost wise adding it as removable would be insane.

2) *no commercial drive will be laid out like this. So you need a super fast one to match the IO characteristics. And the only way to add stuff aftermarket is with a slot.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think controllers will make even more difference for PCIE 4.0 SSDs than it already was for 3.0. Will wait for extensive tests of both Phison E18 and Samsung one, peak values often does not mean much, really.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what he says, you can add storage to the PS5 through the bay on the PS5. You don't replace anything.

youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5ā€™s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yesss phison-e18 controllers are ready

And 3090 reveal today

its all coming together šŸ˜

only zen 3 missing

OP
OP
defaltoption

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
These bad boys plus nvidias new io tech and Microsofts direct storage api are gonna make for some seriously awesome couple of years in pc gaming, I really hope game makers start making ssds be required for minimum specs at least sata ones, rip the band aid

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But is it Samsung the producers of the NAND chips? Maybe they're having trouble cutting a deal with themselves.
Well, just because it's under the same corporate umbrella, it doesn't mean there cannot be conflicts between the management of different divisions of the company... With such large companies dealing in many products, the divisions may as well be different entities in some regards.