Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
There should be an option to automatically offload games from the SSD to the external HDD if you haven't played it in X amount of days, that would be awesome. You wouldn't have to manage much, and if you want to play something from the HDD, a small transfer to the SSD and you're good to go.
That's actually a really good idea.

Oh, you know what they REALLY need to do (or at least give you the option)? Always have every game on your HDD. Like, when you "move" the game from HDD to SSD, copy it to SSD but don't delete the HDD copy.

If you don't do that, when you want to make space on the SSD you will have to (1) wait for the SSD copy to write to the HDD, and then (2) wait for the HDD to transfer the new game to the SSD.

But by keeping all your games on the HDD at all times, you can just erase the game you're "moving" from the SSD (without needing to wait for it to write to the HDD), and immediately proceed to transferring the new game from the HDD to the SSD.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
There should be an option to automatically offload games from the SSD to the external HDD if you haven't played it in X amount of days, that would be awesome. You wouldn't have to manage much, and if you want to play something from the HDD, a small transfer to the SSD and you're good to go.

If you're using an external spinning disk HDD, it'll max out around 100MB/s. Copying in a game will take 10-15 mins, so not exactly "small." Double it if you need to swap out a game and copy out as well as copy in.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're using an external spinning disk HDD, it'll max out around 100MB/s. Copying in a game will take 10-15 mins, so not exactly "small." Double it if you need to swap out a game and copy out as well as copy in.

Yeah that's true, would it be any better with an standard SSD through USB 3.0?

Adum

May 30, 2019
Can't wait to put one of these babies in my PS5.
Can't wait to put one of these babies in your PS5 either

$400, it kind of puts into perspective how much loss MS or Sony will take if they price their consoles at that level. This SSD is not that far off what's in the consoles.
I know how stupid this sounds as I'm typing this, so please bear with me. I read an article that went into a breakdown in depth on SSD/NVMe production and prices. Turns out that they're actually very cheap to produce. NVMes in particular aren't that much more expensive to make than Sata SSDs according to that article - it's just a premium markup because it's the latest tech. I've tried many times to find that article since then but no bueno. I really don't think the high speed flash storage in either next gen console is as expensive as most people think.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
What's the read & write of PS5's SSD in comparison?
Well, the basic speed without any compression is 5.5 GB/s raw, but because of the 12 channel memory internally the SSD needs to be at least 7 GB/s. After launch Sony will test all SSD on the market that with speed like this one.. and certify it. So don't buy until Sony says it good enough.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the basic speed without any compression is 5.5 GB/s raw, but because of the 12 channel memory internally the SSD needs to be at least 7 GB/s. After launch Sony will test all SSD on the market that with speed like this one.. and certify it. So don't buy until Sony says it good enough.

I'm also curious about sustained read speeds. How long do they have to sustain 7gb/s to qualify? Quite a few of the really fast SSDs either have huge heat sinks or can throttle heavily after long use.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
PS5 has USB 3.1 gen 2 which goes up to 1GB/s so it could be as fast as that if you buy a more expensive external SSD. Cheaper drives are gen1 which is 500MB/s.
Yeap, I am going to be looking for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 4TB SSD on sale come this BF. Currently they are $500-600 normally so if I see one for $400, that might be worth it. On the other hand it's the same price as the whole damn console. Maybe a 2TB will suffice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, I am going to be looking for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) 4TB SSD on sale come this BF. Currently they are $500-600 normally so if I see one for $400, that might be worth it. On the other hand it's the same price as the whole damn console. Maybe a 2TB will suffice.

SATA SSDs don't seem to scale that much better than nvme. I was going to get a larger one for my PC to leave the PCIe 4 slot free until a faster SSD becomes affordable (and when direct storage/RTX IO actually shows a benefit). Although the super fast nvme drives will be more expensive than regular PCIe 3 ones, I don't know if its cost effective to spend hundreds on an external SSD that can only be used for cold storage. May be better to buy a cheaper HDD and accept slower fridge management, or save the money towards a decent sized internal upgrade

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
SATA SSDs don't seem to scale that much better than nvme. I was going to get a larger one for my PC to leave the PCIe 4 slot free until a faster SSD becomes affordable (and when direct storage/RTX IO actually shows a benefit). Although the super fast nvme drives will be more expensive than regular PCIe 3 ones, I don't know if its cost effective to spend hundreds on an external SSD that can only be used for cold storage. May be better to buy a cheaper HDD and accept slower fridge management, or save the money towards a decent sized internal upgrade
There is no decent sized upgrade options though, at least right now. At most we will have 1TB available on Xbox for $200-220 (in US) and prices are sky high on PS5 options.

Getting an external SSD that can cut down transfer time 4-5x seems somewhat worthwile, especially with PS5.

I wish these boxes supported NAS for exterbal storage, and had 2.5gb NICs for that transfer speed, but that's a different story.

sammyc

Jul 14, 2019
Live footage of the $399 PS5 DE dream:
19c0bd5ee8e9d2bf709bfdabbb6f6851.gif
This made me smile.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered a 512GB stick from Amazon.de. They don't have any release date, let's see when they will deliver.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I plan on using an external usb-c drive as a stopgap for ps4 by games / backups of lesser played ps5 games till these and similar drives fall in price.

I figure in a year or two we'll have the fast budget drives that game consoles work well with, rather then the bleeding edge performance drives.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I know how stupid this sounds as I'm typing this, so please bear with me. I read an article that went into a breakdown in depth on SSD/NVMe production and prices. Turns out that they're actually very cheap to produce. NVMes in particular aren't that much more expensive to make than Sata SSDs according to that article - it's just a premium markup because it's the latest tech. I've tried many times to find that article since then but no bueno. I really don't think the high speed flash storage in either next gen console is as expensive as most people think.
I could see this being possible. The production itself might not be that costly, but they also have to cover all the costs around research and development. And then premium markup as well as you mention, which is also likely due to relatively few units being produced in the early days. But when Microsoft and Sony repsectively orders maybe like ~50-100 million units, the price will indeed come down.

And looking at the GPU in the XSX, which is set at around 12 TFLOPS, which is around the same as a RTX 2070/2080 GPU, and those PC GPUs cost like more than the entire console (i know that TFLOPS is far from the only thing that counts for a GPU, but it can give some sort of indication in terms of power at least). But Microsoft surely isnt paying anything near that (of course, a dedicated PC GPU has much more build material on it which also affects the cost, but still). I wonder how they got the cost down that much though, if its simply due to the big quantities that they will order of the next years.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, do you think it's possible Sony will release 12 channel expansion SSDs? Basically the same thing inside the console, only in an m.2 form factor.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to put one of these babies in my PS5.

But why? The models are 1Tb, 500Gb and 250Gb. The PS5 already comes with 1TB (close enough to it at least). It seems like too low expansion, double the size.

I suspect we'll need at least 2 more years until this technology and increased SDD sizes will be widely available and affordable.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
But why? The models are 1Tb, 500Gb and 250Gb. The PS5 already comes with 1TB (close enough to it at least). It seems like too low expansion, double the size.

I suspect we'll need at least 2 more years until this technology and increased SDD sizes will be widely available and affordable.

It's simple really. I want to expand my storage, so another 1TB will do for now.

Oct 27, 2017

PS5 is probably going to be 790~ GB after a fresh boot-up. Adding an extra 1TB expansion drive wouldn't be a bad idea with how large game files are looking like.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Bumping this thread since this is predicted to be the first PS5 SSD to be certified due to it's read speeds.

Tom's Hardware and others have released benchmarks and MSRPs ($229.99 for 1TB):

980 PRO 250GB - $89.99
980 PRO 500GB - $149.99
980 PRO 1TB - $229.99

www.tomshardware.com

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD Review: Redefining Gen4 Performance (Updated)