• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
ffpls.png

They just announced a bunch?

The problem is nobody can agree on what a proper remaster looks like. Like seven totally mutually exclusive adamant demands.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Can people tell me what games are in this series please or like it, a lot of names flying about would love to try them
The first three SaGa games were released on the Gameboy and titled SaGa 1, 2, and 3 in Japan, but were renamed Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, and 3 in the West. These games recently recieved a collection.

Next came the Romancing SaGa trilogy on the SNES. None of these games were released outside Japan originally, but Romancing SaGa 1 eventually was remade on the PS2 and released internationally. More recently, both Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 recieved remasters and are available internationally on mobile, PC, and console. RS 1 still does not have a modern rerelease.

After that comes the two SaGa Frontier games, originally released for the PS1. SaGa Frontier 1 recently recieved a remaster, but 2 has not.

After that comes Unlimited SaGa for the PS2, which is the toughest game in the franchise to get into. Then there is Last Remnant, which isn't a proper SaGa game but is closely related and made by the same people. Finally there is Scarlet Grace Ambitions, the most recent SaGa game. Both Scarlet Grace and Last Remnant are available on current consoles.

The best starting points to jump in are probably SaGa Frontier 1, Final Fantasy Legend 2, or Scarlet Grace Ambitions right now. Every game in the series is stand-alone though, so you can jump in wherever. I highly recommend Romancing SaGa 2 though; it is a really cool (if tough) game.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Regarding Xenogears, Chrono, etc.

They're clearly playing the long game. They know the thirst is real, and why not maximize sales by starting with lesser known franchises first?

How many of us would have ignored SaGa Frontier Remastered if Xenogears and Chrono Cross came out first? You might think, well, it's not known to be so great, so I'll skip it.

If SaGa launches first, you might think well I need something to fill that JRPG-sized hole in my heart so it'll do for now.

I bought SaGa, played through five of the stories. It's charming, but boy howdy does it have some issues. That said, I'll keep buying these in part to let SQEX know that there's an audience for these games and that I want more.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Chrono Trigger was very hard to make. The development wasn't smooth sailing, with the project getting completely rebooted at least once, and the release getting delayed a bunch of times. They even had to cancel pre-planning of FFVII to divert more staff into CT to save the project. And then when the game is finally released you have to share profit with Armor Project and Bird Studio.

If it was an expensive project this is even more reason to port it to every single possible console, to recoup their investment. The hard work is mostly done, they just have to put an emulator and rom on the switch.

Oct 25, 2017
If it was an expensive project this is even more reason to port it to every single possible console, to recoup their investment. The hard work is mostly done, they just have to put an emulator and rom on the switch.

You are overestimating how much demand there is for ROM dump versions of old games.

Chrono Trigger has had something like 7, 8, or 9 releases by now (or I should say platforms it is on, not clear how to count Wii U, PS3, or PSP, for example), and Square Enix knows how much money to expect from doing the 10th <$10 ROM dump (not a lot).

Regarding Xenogears, Chrono, etc.

They're clearly playing the long game. They know the thirst is real, and why not maximize sales by starting with lesser known franchises first?

How many of us would have ignored SaGa Frontier Remastered if Xenogears and Chrono Cross came out first? You might think, well, it's not known to be so great, so I'll skip it.

If SaGa launches first, you might think well I need something to fill that JRPG-sized hole in my heart so it'll do for now.

I bought SaGa, played through five of the stories. It's charming, but boy howdy does it have some issues. That said, I'll keep buying these in part to let SQEX know that there's an audience for these games and that I want more.

Realistically, there is just a bottleneck in terms of how many resources SE is willing or able to throw at remakes or remasters. With another SaGa on the way, there are 11 announced, and there's like 2 or 3 more in development that haven't been announced. I'd put money on some bigger CT project coming, but... what is it, exactly? Something in the new pixel art engine made for the FF series? A full 3D remake? An HD-2D remake? CC is a mess due to them losing the source code, so it really should get fully repainted backgrounds like LoM get.

Nobody would have just ignored SFR if other stuff had come out first. SFR is something like Square Enix's 53rd remake/remaster available on at least one modern platform.

Because it didnt sell 10 million copies on DS lol.
It wasnt that number but I remember some news that one dev at Square was slightly mad that people want CT but then said "so why you didnt buy it on Ds?"

Original, PSX, PSP, PS3, i-mode, Android, iOS, Steam, DS, Wii, Wii U. If any of the ones after the 90s did notably well, we'd see much better treatment of the franchise.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You are overestimating how much demand there is for ROM dump versions of old games.

Realistically, there is just a bottleneck in terms of how many resources SE is willing or able to throw at remakes or remasters. With another SaGa on the way, there are 11 announced, and there's like 2 or 3 more in development that haven't been announced. I'd put money on some bigger CT project coming, but... what is it, exactly? Something in the new pixel art engine made for the FF series? A full 3D remake? An HD-2D remake? CC is a mess due to them losing the source code, so it really should get fully repainted backgrounds like LoM get.

Nobody would have just ignored SFR if other stuff had come out first. SFR is something like Square Enix's 53rd remake/remaster available on at least one modern platform.

For what it is worth, Chrono Trigger has had something like 7, 8, or 9 releases by now, and Square Enix knows how much money to expect from doing the 10th <$10 ROM dump (not a lot).
When are we going to start asking the important, hard hitting questions? For example...

Where is Front Mission though?

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a ROM dump of 3 mario games one of the best selling games of last year?

Do you think that is at all relevant here? Square's recent ROM dump collections didn't do even remotely as well. Like... 1-3% of the Mario collections, by my guess. Using one of the most popular IPs of all time as a reflection of how well ROM dumps can do is just ill-conceived.

Being limited edition for an anniversary seems to drive up sales a lot, at least? I think only Super Mario 3D and Dragon Quest Wii have been super successful? And even then, those aren't quite ROM dumps because they interact directly with the save system and have some new features, which stuff like VC/Sega collections don't quite do.

Last edited:

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestion on where to start or which ones are worth playing? Like maybe an image macro or series summary or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestion on where to start or which ones are worth playing? Like maybe an image macro or series summary or something?

www.resetera.com

SaGa Series |OT| Your saga into SaGa begins here OT

With the 24-year late global release of Romancing SaGa 3, the upcoming releases of SaGa: Scarlet Grace and Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe, and Romancing SaGa 2's global release two years ago, SquareEnix either seems to have rekindled a love for the SaGa franchise or Akitoshi Kawazu has built up...

There's not a whole lot of concensus on which are best. Remasters of RS2/3, SF1, and SSG are all going to get support. SSG is the only "modern" one (it is SaGa 14, while the others are SaGa 5/6/7). Last Remnant is also a SaGa game (I'd call it SaGa 11, personally).

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I never beat more than a couple of stories during the original release. But I cleared every story and every fuse story this time. The new game plus is so good so you don't have to rebuild your team for each character.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

SaGa Series |OT| Your saga into SaGa begins here OT

With the 24-year late global release of Romancing SaGa 3, the upcoming releases of SaGa: Scarlet Grace and Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe, and Romancing SaGa 2's global release two years ago, SquareEnix either seems to have rekindled a love for the SaGa franchise or Akitoshi Kawazu has built up...

There's not a whole lot of concensus on which are best. Remasters of RS2/3, SF1, and SSG are all going to get support. SSG is the only "modern" one (it is SaGa 14, while the others are SaGa 5/6/7)
Thank you

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Why would anyone even want a ROM dump version of Chrono Trigger. The Steam version is now amazing with all its updates. They should just be porting the Steam version!

Anyway I'm happy that Saga remasters are successful. Just Saga Frontier 2, Romancing Saga Minstrel's Song and Unlimited Saga to go, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think that is at all relevant here? Square's recent ROM dump collections didn't do even remotely as well. Like... 1-3% of the Mario collections, by my guess. Using one of the most popular IPs of all time as a reflection of how well ROM dumps can do is just ill-conceived.

Being limited edition for an anniversary seems to drive up sales a lot, at least? I think only Super Mario 3D and Dragon Quest Wii have been super successful?

They can still sell 1-3% of what the mario collection sold and still be profitable because they are rom dumps. They cost almost nothing to produce.

I do think the Mario Collection shows that there is demand for these kind of games now that they aren't as widely available as they used to be. I mean, I know it's mario but it sold WILDLY beyond anyone's expectations. I don't think it would have sold that well during, say, the Wii generation when Mario 64 was on the VC and the other two games you could play the Disks. I think the same goes for FF and Chrono Trigger, there is a drought of releases for these games, and that drives demand up.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone even want a ROM dump version of Chrono Trigger. The Steam version is now amazing with all its updates. They should just be porting the Steam version!

Anyway I'm happy that Saga remasters are successful. Just Saga Frontier 2, Romancing Saga Minstrel's Song and Unlimited Saga to go, right?

SaGa 2 DS and SaGa 3 DS are functionally their own wholly distinct games, with a design evolution and lineage that is clearly traced from Minstrel Song to LR to SaGa 2 to SaGa 3 to Scarlet Grace.

Minstrel Song and RS1 (Wonderswan version?) are also distinct games, IMO.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Why do SaGa games get good remasters but Square's other series don't? Is Square run by fools?
I believe Akitoshi Kawazu is the longest-tenured employee at Square Enix.

So he has some pull here - for a series he created.

It should also be noted that SaGa Frontier's remaster is a particularly high-effort one - it's not simply a port of the game, as it's remade in Unity rather than running through some emulation layer. It also runs at your monitor's refresh rate on PC. If they set this type of precedent going forward for this era of their gaming remakes, then it'd be a good thing going forward if they achieve this level of quality.

SaGa Frontier 1 is also the best PS1 RPG by Square.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did this interview. Full transcript will be up tomorrow for those interested, but I wanted to report the splashy news first.

Oct 25, 2017
They can still sell 1-3% of what the mario collection sold and still be profitable because they are rom dumps. They cost almost nothing to produce.

I do think the Mario Collection shows that there is demand for these kind of games now that they aren't as widely available as they used to be. I mean, I know it's mario but it sold WILDLY beyond anyone's expectations. I don't think it would have sold that well during, say, the Wii generation when Mario 64 was on the VC and the other two games you could play the Disks. I think the same goes for FF and Chrono Trigger, there is a drought of releases for these games, and that drives demand up.

The Mario collection definitely is not a reflection on general appetite for that, and it really isn't a simple ROM dump due to there being some actual work to integrate with the system, to varying degrees for the three games. It is also a limited edition release by Nintendo which people go crazy for, for a series that is massively more popular. Only the third platform Sunshine was playable on, and third for Galaxy.

There is no comparative "drought" for FF and Chrono Trigger games. This would be the 10th+ platform CT is playable on, and even more for some of the FFs (11 platforms for FF4, maybe more?). Square Enix has vastly higher standards these days than simple ROM dumps-- people want that sweet sweet 2x speed and widescreen support and direct interaction with the save files of the system. Mana and SaGa collections are substantially more work than you get out of a VC/PSN version.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I can happily say I contributed. Loved seeing Frontier get a remaster. Buying legend of mana soon and hoping for a xenogears release

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
This whole SaGa renaissance thing has been amazing, but I guess that will be the case anytime one of your favorite series gets the love it deserves.

There really needs to be a some kind of disclaimer about Kawazu being the driving force behind of all these remakes/remasters in threads like this. Inevitably these threads always turn into people complaining that their favorite games,or games they deem more worthy, are not getting the same treatment and people having to explain it is due to Kawazu's influence for the umpteenth time.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the newcomers are ready for the Battle of South Moundtop.

I recommend you wear wrist straps on your controllers or fasten something to your Switch.
I hope the devs will do something to make this battle more palatable. At least I hope. I got stuck there and never was able to finish.

At least this time I'll be aware of it, and we can all help each other on how to pass this brick wall of a battle

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the devs will do something to make this battle more palatable. At least I hope. I got stuck there and never was able to finish.

At least this time I'll be aware of it, and we can all help each other on how to pass this brick wall of a battle
Yeah, I think they intentionally designed the battle so that the common sense moves would put you one or two turns behind where you need to be, if you are lucky, to holdout the required number of turns. I have seen people claim you can defeat the steel soldier units with ranged attacks, but I was never able to pull it off.

Oct 25, 2017
This whole SaGa renaissance thing has been amazing, but I guess that will be the case anytime one of your favorite series gets the love it deserves.

There really needs to be a some kind of disclaimer about Kawazu being the driving force behind of all these remakes/remasters in threads like this. Inevitably these threads always turn into people complaining that their favorite games,or games they deem more worthy, are not getting the same treatment and people having to explain it is due to Kawazu's influence for the umpteenth time.

SaGa was also considerably more popular than most people in the West realized. Xenogears would be something like the 7th most popular SaGa game, and is in a situation where a remaster isn't quite as intuitive on how to handle it. Probably something like FF 7/9's ports with light asset touchups and replaced UI, but I think people would expect totally redrawn assets like FFT got in the mobile update.

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ on Steam

With the fate of the world uncertain, follow the journey of Urpina, Taria, Balmaint, and Leonard as they call on their might and set out to carve a new future. Take charge and shape your own adventure with ultimate freedom of choice.

Square's Best Game is on sale for $12! A genuine masterpiece of RPG mechanical design, and a masterclass of quest scripting (other than the giant failures of "flag spaghetti").

So when is the first one coming

If you're asking for Romancing SaGa 1 (SaGa 4), that's probably super complicated. Kawazu highlighted how weird the situation is, because there's 4 different ways it could go.

1) Remaster of 2D version.
2) Remake/overhaul of the 2D version (may be possible in the new Pixel Remaster engine?)
3) Port of Minstrel Song
4) Extensive HD overhaul of Minstrel Song.

The quote was something like that and rather recent, so it sounded like if it is happening, it wouldn't be particularly far right now.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
store.steampowered.com

SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ on Steam

With the fate of the world uncertain, follow the journey of Urpina, Taria, Balmaint, and Leonard as they call on their might and set out to carve a new future. Take charge and shape your own adventure with ultimate freedom of choice.

Square's Best Game is on sale for $12! A genuine masterpiece of RPG mechanical design, and a masterclass of quest scripting (other than the giant failures of "flag spaghetti").

If you're asking for Romancing SaGa 1 (SaGa 4), that's probably super complicated. Kawazu highlighted how weird the situation is, because there's 4 different ways it could go.

1) Remaster of 2D version.
2) Remake/overhaul of the 2D version (may be possible in the new Pixel Remaster engine?)
3) Port of Minstrel Song
4) Extensive HD overhaul of Minstrel Song.

The quote was something like that and rather recent, so it sounded like if it is happening, it wouldn't be particularly far right now.

i'd take anything than nothing lol

TFJ

Aug 9, 2019
I'll be waiting for Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga.

And please, do not change Battle of South Moundtop. It's the best and only well designed war scenario in the game. It also helps that it's clearly inspired by the Battle of Waterloo, for history buffs out there.

No, I'm serious. It's brilliant and makes use of all the mechanics of the mode. The games just doesn't teach the players the intricacies of the war scenario rules, as per SaGa tradition. If anything the other war scenarios need to be made more interesting and challenging.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
What's the selling point or differentiation of SaGa games compare to other jrpg?

I am kinda interested but don't wanna spoil myself through videoes.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What's the selling point or differentiation of SaGa games compare to other jrpg?

I've only played Scarlett Grace and it was very different from any other JRPG I've ever played.

It's much less linear than most JRPGs, less focused on a classic linear narrative, and more on the player's freedom to interact with the world. Maybe it sounds weird but if I have to compare it to another JRPG, maybe it would be Xenoblade X in the "feel".

Oct 25, 2017

A bunch barely count as JRPGs, IMO, as their strengths are often mutually exclusive from the linear character and plot focused games with experience points and leveling. They are definitely RPGs, but are very unique. There's nothing to really spoil oneself over, as the usual reasons people play JRPGs are not the reasons people play these games. Usually experimental, open-world, highly replayable, no levels, no experience points. Unlimited SaGa is like a reinterpretation of how D&D style RPGs could have been adapted into a videogame experience. SaGa Frontier 2 is 50 non-linear chapters over an 80-year period tracking multiple generations for two families. Romancing SaGa 3 is like a 90s WRPG with the formalisms and art design of a 90s JRPG. SaGa Scarlet Grace is pure mechanical perfection. Romancing SaGa 2 is the 1000+ year history of a kingdom and a crusade against 7 fallen heroes, with "inheritance magic" letting your party grow over multiple dynamic generation shifts (like, you'll get popups of "167 years later...").

SaGa 1 feels like a prototype for the much better SaGa 2. SaGa 3 is not really a SaGa game, but the remake of SaGa 3 on DS definitely is a real SaGa game.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017

For me it is the variety and uniqueness of each entry. Some are completely non - linear, others are far more linear but present the story in novel ways and then you have the more experimental entries inspired by board games. Many of the games also feature systems that feel really rewarding once you learn and master them.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Less focus on narrative and more focus on gameplay. The gameplay tends more towards the abstract systems, lack of explaining mechanics and more expecting players to feel their ways out. Choices and consequences of actions are important, gating or allowing you into content depending on what you do. People frequently mention them as JRPGs by way of WRPGs, but honestly that only makes sense after playing and getting a feel for them.

They're pretty cool, imo. I've only played so many of them, but The Last Remnant and Saga Scarlet Grace have in particular struck a chord with me.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be waiting for Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga.

And please, do not change Battle of South Moundtop. It's the best and only well designed war scenario in the game. It also helps that it's clearly inspired by the Battle of Waterloo, for history buffs out there.

No, I'm serious. It's brilliant and makes use of all the mechanics of the mode. The games just doesn't teach the players the intricacies of the war scenario rules, as per SaGa tradition. If anything the other war scenarios need to be made more interesting and challenging.
The issue is that the game is too linear and doesn't really give you time to prepare or get into the mindset of the battle mechanics. So I guess it's just going to be a community thing where we prep each other for it. Other SaGa games blindside you but at least it's with battle mechanics you've been experimenting with the entire game and you have some freedom to build your party.

Granted, it was ages ago when I played the game and I was a teenager, so I'm not sure how it would feel today. I'm curious to experience it again now

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
1 STEP CLOSER TO MINSTREL SONG HD!

WE CAN DO IT!

SaGa 2 DS and SaGa 3 DS are functionally their own wholly distinct games, with a design evolution and lineage that is clearly traced from Minstrel Song to LR to SaGa 2 to SaGa 3 to Scarlet Grace.

Minstrel Song and RS1 (Wonderswan version?) are also distinct games, IMO.

And now I need a way to play Saga 2 on DS.
Thanks!

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine coming into this thread and having to read that the KH remastered were good and most people liked them.

Only someone who hasn't lost his version of the dub can write something like that. KH lost most of its charm by removing local dubs. FF X is also a pretty downgrade...

SE is really bad at going the extra mile.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Imagine coming into this thread and having to read that the KH remastered were good and most people liked them.

Only someone who hasn't lost his version of the dub can write something like that. KH lost most of its charm by removing local dubs. FF X is also a pretty downgrade...

SE is really bad at going the extra mile.
I literally dropped Kingdom Hearts the second I head that III wouldn't have local dub.
on handheld, it wasn't a big problem because lower production budget and all that.
For KH3 that has a bigger production than most games out there and KH1 and 2 losing the local dub?
WTF am I gonna play a Disney game where Mickey, Donald and co are all imposters?
They should never have done local dub to begin with or comitted to keep them in subsequent releases.