• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

SaGa re-release sales have exceeded Square Enix's expectations - and the producers would like to do more | RPG Site

It looks like SaGa re-releases are doing just fine for Square Enix.

SaGa Frontier's remaster hit multiple platforms and PC, to which Miura gives us a little bit of an overview of the game's platform breakdown. "One thing that was especially unexpected was the number of Steam sales, which have been more than what we had forecasted, and there are more Steam players than we had anticipated. When comparing across the board, though, the Switch version has produced the most sales, which were a lot higher than what we had predicted."

Turns out making multiplatform remasters that are well made and respects the original game is paying off dividends. Congratulations to the SaGa team for understanding this basic idea, and even showing the way for Legend of Mana too.

More SaGa remasters are coming, and a new SaGa title is now in development.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I bought it day one on the Switch and haven't even loaded it up yet.

Just bought Legend of Mana today. That's on the backlog as well. I am SE's ideal consumer/sucker.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You're welcome.

Bought digital on Switch and even bought physical on Switch. :)

Can't wait to do the same for SaGa Frontier 2.

Switch sales should also be a sign for Nintendo and Square-Enix to get to work on that Xenogears remaster.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch being the best selling version is expected, though its great to see that it and the Steam numbers still surpassed their expectations.

PS. Makes sense that the FF Pixel Remasters are skipping Switch...right ?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is basically the JRPG console so I'm not that surprised by that.
Congrats, it really show that efforts bring results.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Bought SaGa Frontier digital on PS4/5 and physical on Switch. The remaster itself basically exceeded my hopes, and this was a dream game for me for literal decades.

Give me all the remasters you can make, Kawazu. Toss those DS remakes of SaGa 2 and 3 in while you're at it.

Why do SaGa games get good remasters but Square's other series don't? Is Square run by fools?

Having the series creator and a passionate production crew behind it helps quite a bit. Since the games (and the mobile game) make money, they just leave Kawazu to his own decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do SaGa games get good remasters but Square's other series don't? Is Square run by fools?

I'd argue that only SF1 is a particularly good remaster? FF 7/8/9 have extra features like 2x speed, FF4 got two remakes. The Pixel Remasters seem similar to what was done for RS2/3, except without the mismatch in background resolutions and additional QOL.

I don't know if you're counting the Enix side of things, but SO1/2 have been treated well, as have DQ 4/5/6. And Kingdom Hearts remasters are liked? And all of the PS2 era games?

I just don't understand why people loathe SE remasters so much. People cherry pick the bad ones rather than appreciating how many good ones there are out there. They have 50+ old games with current or upcoming remasters, and the vast majority are well regarded.

Steam/Mobile, sorry. FF producers are still trying to figure out if the switch is a viable platform, you see. Not as big as SaGa

If the remasters are well regarded, it will come to platforms. They likely don't want to commit to doing different releases before the products are even close to being finished.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Minstrel Song remaster please. I want to actually beat that game instead of getting the worst ending possible with the worst possible protagonist.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
If only they realized the absolute thirst for their other classic catalogue: Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Star Ocean 2, and Front Mission 3, just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Let us dream.

Cjq8QlM.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly think Xenogears would probably be one of the hardest ones to remaster well. The weird hybrid of 3D and 2D probably won't hold up well without a TON of reworking. And nobody at Square has a vested interest in keeping Xeno going, whereas SaGa is still an active franchise with new games being made.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news. Happy to see these games get good ports and sales. I'm stoked about getting SaGa Frontier 2 and other remasters and a new SaGa game on the way.

I've also just downloaded Legend of Mana on Steam and can't wait to play it.

Also, hopefully this method expands to other older Square games that deserve some love.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand why people loathe SE remasters so much. People cherry pick the bad ones rather than appreciating how many good ones there are out there.

Ha, people are so traumatized by those mobile ports of FF5 and 6. Everything they've done for FF7-12 has been solid, outside of the weird effect of FF8's upgraded models next to the old backgrounds. The speedup functions in particular are amazing for people like me who already spent 100+ hours on those games years ago.

Honestly the big sticking point right now is the FF1-6 Pixel remakes being PC/Mobile only. The actual remasters themselves could be amazing and people will still be angry until they can play them on consoles, and honestly that's a fair reaction. It's absurd to leave out that audience.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hopefully one day FF will be as big and popular as the massive SaGa franchise to warrant such good and widely available in so many platforms remasters. Maybe one day.
lmao

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
The remastered Romancing SaGa 3 was my first step into the series and I've been hooked ever since. I play the gacha game religiously. I'm glad these are selling well and re;universe is doing well Globally. I want to play them all, even Unlimited SaGa.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This is neat. Switch versions selling the best is not a surprise at this point.

SaGa is the kind of franchise that I appreciate more than I actually like but I'm still cool with more (Where is that Scarlet Grace physical release by the way?).

The only way this could happen is if Square Enix and Nintendo collaborate and put Monolith Soft in a remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, people are so traumatized by those mobile ports of FF5 and 6. Everything they've done for FF7-12 has been solid, outside of the weird effect of FF8's upgraded models next to the old backgrounds. The speedup functions in particular are amazing for people like me who already spent 100+ hours on those games years ago.

Honestly the big sticking point right now is the FF1-6 Pixel remakes being PC/Mobile only. The actual remasters themselves could be amazing and people will still be angry until they can play them on consoles, and honestly that's a fair reaction. It's absurd to leave out that audience.

I think 5 unfortunately gets lumped in with the 6's bad party sprites. Most of FF5 looks fine? The sprites do a good job of showing way more detail that highlights the differences between outfits, and FF5 was not really a looker of a game other than the battle sprites. I'd even argue that 6's problem is how it is all stitched together and specifically the sprites being the sole subpar aspect of the package-- the battle backgrounds are great, the spell effects are great, the enemy sprites are awesome and not just uprezzed, and the contrast/brightness makes sense as you are supposed to be able to play it on lower screen brightness for battery length.

As far as people complain about the mobile ports of 5 and 6, they generally sold pretty well?

I might make a thread to discuss it more specifically, but I think SE has... 11? 12? announced remasters, remakes, or reimaginings, which is crazy. As far as there's negativity surrounding them, a bunch of it is over mutually exclusive complaints and wants on what to see.

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
SaGa Frontier II remaster, please! Definitely game I want to continue to dive into

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some legal, technical reason they don't do a simple port of chrono

Knowing what we know now about the FF Pixel Remasters, I'd bet there is a larger product coming for Chrono and not just something like RS2/RS3 Remastered or something. The Pixel Remasters make it seem like the ideation for a large modernized update/engine to support their SNES library seems like it came in 2017 (when the artwork for FF Dot was done), and mostly reduced their willingness to do piecemeal updates/support/revisions to the projects that had semi-recent releases. There's money on the Chrono Trigger tree of they do it right, and the odds of something coming within the next five years is high.

i mean they seem to be making money hand over fist doing incredibly modest remasters of games from the 90s so they don't seem that foolish to me

Some are are modest, sure, but they they are supporting 50+ classics with releases that go beyond simple ROM dumps, which is more than any other publisher. And quite a few of them are big, well-received products, FF7 and DQ3, the Kingdom Hearts collections, SF1 Remastered.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing what we know now about the FF Pixel Remasters, I'd bet there is a larger product coming for Chrono and not just something like RS2/RS3 Remastered or something. The Pixel Remasters make it seem like the ideation for a large modernized update/engine to support their SNES library seems like it came in 2017 (when the artwork for FF Dot was done), and mostly reduced their willingness to do piecemeal updates/support/revisions to the projects that had semi-recent releases. There's money on the Chrono Trigger tree of they do it right, and the odds of something coming within the next five years is high.
Yeah and unlike Xenogears' complications, I believe Square has full rights to Chrono Trigger. They know how much people want a new release. I'm anticipating something like Trials of Mana or DQ3 HD-2D.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
The Saga Fronteir remake was very well made and plays like a dream on the ps4. The QoL adjustments were fantastic as well. I am so pleased to see the series gaining popularity once again. I can't wait to see more remasters!

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i mean they seem to be making money hand over fist doing incredibly modest remasters of games from the 90s so they don't seem that foolish to me
And they could be making a whole lot more money hand over fist if they had put FF 1 - 6 on Switch by now, as well as various other legacy games that people have been asking for years: Valkyrie Profile, FFT, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, etc. This also applies to putting the missing ones from that list on Steam.

Basically, port fucking everything. Do good ports and people will buy them, hell even shitty ports will sell pretty well of franchises that haven't had a release in a while. So they're just leaving money on the table when you consider already done ports/versions on other systems that for some inexplicable reason haven't been released on more modern consoles and PC.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cowards, give us Vagrant Story on moder- oh, I have that on the vita. Well uh.

I guess I'll finally play Saga Frontier 2 then, one of my few regrets from the PSX era! Excited about that.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Kitase directed FF6 and he still does not seem to care greatly about treating it well

FFVI for some reason has always been the one that seems to get passed by.

I always tell myself that it's because they want to make FFVII look better when it really just pulls so much from FFVI.

Lead is a former soldier who lost their memory. Bad guy was created and has a god complex and wants to end the world.

One was successful while the other somewhat failed. Can't go propping up Kefka when Sephiroth prints money.

That's what I like to tell myself anyways. It helps me cope lol.