• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Even if Russia had the equipment, manpower, and supply lines to actually do this, who are they selling this wood to? Russia would be better off chopping down their own forests for wood to sell to whoever is willing to buy it as opposed to trying to haul wood out of Ukraine. You can even employ all the people recently laid off form all the businesses pulling out to work on chopping down trees.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Even if that deforestation story was true I see it being more about causing even more harm and destruction to Ukraine as nation then it's about getting sellable wood.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Even if that deforestation story was true I see it being more about causing even more harm and destruction to Ukraine as nation then it's about getting sellable wood.
Absolutely, it's just a laughable waste of resources if they actually follow through with it. It further cements the idea that Russia's entire war strategy at this point is to thrash around like an angry child and hope that everyone eventually gives in to what they want.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Twitter as a source should be bannable – at least from this thread. In general too but whatever.

Huge peeve of mine for obvious reasons.
Wait you want to ban the number one source of news of this war outside of Ukraine borders used by Ukraine and pretty much every relative journalist and politician? Do you just want this thread closed at that point?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yea I see this as spite more than anything.
I can all but guarantee that Putin floated this as a spiteful idea, and one of his lickspittles told him it'd get done "for sure". In reality they'll chop down a few trees - enough to stage some footage for the domestic news - and then report back that the work was completed.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah good luck cutting down hundreds of thousands of square kilometers in a war zone. More flailings of a dead empire.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
"Sir, we can't take the cities. They are shooting at us and we are really bad at war :("
"... ok where are your troops right now?"
"Just hiding in the forest, sir"
"... then we take the forest, ha-HA!"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Wait you want to ban the number one source of news of this war outside of Ukraine borders used by Ukraine and pretty much every relative journalist and politician? Do you just want this thread closed at that point?
I said none of that, rjinaz. C'mon man.

I get that things are fast moving, I get that Twitter excels at conveying that.

The tweet I mentioned isn't even ✔️'d. There's guidelines on the bottom of the page here for a reason – as I alluded to in my other post upthread.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I said none of that, rjinaz. C'mon man.

I get that things are fast moving, I get that Twitter excels at conveying that.

The tweet I mentioned isn't even ✔️'d. There's guidelines on the bottom of the page here for a reason – as I alluded to in my other post upthread.
The tweet you mentioned comes directly from bloomberg terminal

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Deforesting during war isn't that strange of an idea though I can't think of anyone trying to sell the wood afterwards. Generally, the defense would clear the forest around their defensive positions so they can see anyone approaching and the enemy has no cover. On the flip side, Ukraine probably uses forests for guerilla tactics though I can't say how much of a factor it is. Plus you'd have to factor in that without any tree cover, Russian movements would be even more visible and more prone to air attack.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The tweet you mentioned comes directly from bloomberg terminal
Thank you for letting me know.

Reason I pointed it out being there's no links to anything on that tweet, no verification on the tweet. Really nothing to go off of. Guy's not verified.

Like I said, not trying to derail but if the tweeter can't bother then the forum user posting it should. It's not much of an ask.

Not to call you out or anything. I just see this happen way too much.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017

Reason I pointed it out being there's no links to anything on that tweet, no verification on the tweet. Really nothing to go off of. Guy's not verified.

Like I said, not trying to derail but if the tweeter can't bother then the forum user posting it should. It's not much of an ask.

I get where you are coming from, but most tweets that post Bloomberg Terminal headlines are made by bots. Also, since the article is only on the terminal no links for it can be shared till another outlet writes an article of their own citing Bloomberg.

Nov 27, 2020

To be clear, since this comes up a lot, "WALTER BLOOMBERG" is a bot that simply tweets the Bloomberg headline ticker. That's why there's no check mark.

I do agree that links to the actual story would be nice, but that Twitter account is more of a "breaking news" account, and there may not even be an article yet.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The current trajectory of the war now seems to be Russia just leveling the country with standoff air launched cruise missiles from their old-ass Bear and Blackjacks that are bad at taking out military targets but great at destroying Ukraine's economy and terrorizing civilians. They are pairing this with use of shorter-range ballistic missiles doing the same things. I can't help but feel this is less about reducing Ukraine's will and resolve or their ability to fight as it is to just enrage the West and provoke us into escalating. The ensuing uncertainty and instability would give Putin a window for diplomatic maneuver with the West and try to get them to coerce Ukraine into a peace deal out of the West's fear of getting too close to the dangerous rungs of the old escalation ladder.

Or maybe it's just the Russian Military's SOP when dealing with an entrenched and hostile populace?

Not everything is 4D chess aimed at influencing "The West", sometimes it's just big fucking bombs aimed at civilians because that is how Russia has waged war for a half-Century or more.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The 80s were a long time ago and a conscription based military doesn't hold up in the modern global era. Especially not without the comparative advancements made in technology & mobility. Putin is essentially trying to fight a 1980s war in the 2020s with a conscription army who grew up in (relative) peace.
That makes sense

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I get where you are coming from, but most tweets that post Bloomberg Terminal headlines are made by bots. Also, since the article is only on the terminal no links for it can be shared till another outlet writes an article of their own citing Bloomberg.
Ok maybe I'm just an old man yelling at clouds. I'll take that. That just seems like it shouldn't be shared just yet then... but maybe I'm living in the past which I'm willing to accept lol

Anyway whatever carry on. Ukraine's in my thoughts and fuck Putin!
To be clear, since this comes up a lot, "WALTER BLOOMBERG" is a bot that simply tweets the Bloomberg headline ticker. That's why there's no check mark.

I do agree that links to the actual story would be nice, but that Twitter account is more of a "breaking news" account, and there may not even be an article yet.
Noted, friend.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Russia: Hey, why do you want to be part of the west? Join us instead. We may have killed your people, bombed your cities and pillaged your natural resources, but trust us, we're the same people.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Deforesting to *sell* it is not something I've ever heard of and is such a bizarre piece of seeming desperation. For an army already so logistically fucked that would add one hell of an added burden, nevermind actually finding a buyer.

It's not uncommon to deforest on the assault, but that's for tactical reasons and not 'cause your army is flat broke.

Even for something like punishment-labor it's pretty useless.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Bloomberg Terminal has a news headline function that is a breaking news source that costs a lot of money. Their goal is to provide new information as fast as possible for traders who use the terminal. There is nothing to cite as it's literally breaking when it comes to Bloomberg via various sources and other news sites pick it up after that.

"Walter Bloomberg" just forwards those headlines so the Twitter account itself is irrelevant, source is always Bloomberg that has people reporting directly from the field.

www.bloomberg.com

News | Bloomberg Professional Services

Get trusted, timely and actionable financial news from our team of 2,700 experienced journalists – seamlessly integrated with the Bloomberg Terminal.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They can hardly get full trucks of stuff into Ukraine, you expect me to believe they're gonna set up an entire logging operation and ship all that back, too?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Deforesting during war isn't that strange of an idea though I can't think of anyone trying to sell the wood afterwards. Generally, the defense would clear the forest around their defensive positions so they can see anyone approaching and the enemy has no cover. On the flip side, Ukraine probably uses forests for guerilla tactics though I can't say how much of a factor it is. Plus you'd have to factor in that without any tree cover, Russian movements would be even more visible and more prone to air attack.
There are plenty of valid reasons why a military may want to deforest an area both offensively and defensively. Their reason "to sell the wood to fund the army" is laughable and one can't possibly take it seriously. Even if Russia had some sweet deal to sell wood to a country for a huge profit to help fund the war... Russia has tons of forest in their own country they can cut down faster, cheaper, and safer then wood they'd have to steal from Ukraine.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck getting your starving troops to cut down whole fucking forests.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Twitter as a source should be bannable – at least from this thread. In general too but whatever.

Huge peeve of mine for obvious reasons.
The worst part of the modern internet is that people don't seem to be able to distinguish between ill-informed noise and authority. I'm not saying that the age of consolidated publishing was idyllic either, but right now the importance people place on random Twitter personalities is bizarre and, frankly, scary.

There are valid instances of what you're talking about but this ain't it. Walter Bloomberg isn't a person it's a bot that has consistently tweeted out news from the Bloomberg terminal

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
There are valid instances of what you're talking about but this ain't it. Walter Bloomberg isn't a person it's a bot that has consistently tweeted out news from the Bloomberg terminal
Got it. It's been pointed out to me now. Each distinct tweet should make that known. I'm guessing they will end up implementing that info going forward. Like I said, it's a peeve of mine. I appreciate the info anyway tho.

I'm dropping it here as I believe I made my point already and derailed enough. Apologies.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What is even Russia's end game at this point? They might "win" but the costs are insane and the Ukranian people aren't going to accept a puppet regime at this point.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
The deforestry thing is such a good example of folks reading Russias statements too literally.

They're trollling, they're always trolling

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What is even Russia's end game at this point? They might "win" but the costs are insane and the Ukranian people aren't going to accept a puppet regime at this point.
They probably realized their original goals are unachievable at this point so i'd reckon they want the complete and utter destruction of the ukrainian economy, military and infrastructure to force ukraine into giving up sizeable pieces of the east and south

Oct 27, 2017
Latest intercepts from Russian soldier communications :-

I don't wanna be a soldier
I don't wanna go shooting innocent people all day and blowing up their homes
I wanted to be
A lumberjack!
Leaping from tree to tree
As they float down the mighty rivers of Ukraine
The giant redwood
The larch ..................

www.youtube.com

Monty Python - Lumberjack Song

i am a lumberjack & i am oki sleep all night & i work all dayi cut down trees, i eat my lunchi go to the lavatoryon wednesdays i go shoppingand have buttered...

A bit of humour there. Honestly that is the first thing that entered my head when I heard that the latest greatest Russian plan is to cut down trees to fund their war effort. It is just absolutely .......... WOW I mean like WOW WOW what are they smoking ?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

They're probably engaging full in sunk cost fallacy. The conflict will probably drag for a long time at this point, with heavy costs and loses for both parts

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020

To say they "won" it seems and appease Putins ego.

It's why the talks seem to veer to positive, then negative, then positive, as the team on the ground know it's doomed and are trying to get terms they can sell to Vladdy as a Win domestically. He will be pushing back, largely due to the fact his yes men are probably still telling him he is winning.

Just my opinion of course.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Chief of General staff of Ukraine saying the reserves were "partially deployed", and a counter-offensive is on the way.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
In my case I wasn't referencing the Bloomberg terminal thing. I know that's a bot. My concern is more generally around the stock that people put in Twitter talking heads, but that's probably a conversation for another time.