• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Sooo can somebody make a full list of digitally exclusive PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita, and PSP games for NA/EU/JP so people can figure out what they may wanna get before it goes kaput?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is the largest collection of Playstation 1 games you can find anywhere. They are not overreacting.
The people assuming that they will lose access to purchases, are the people I'm referring to.

The store going away sucks either way; but this is an uncomfirmed rumor which did not include anything about the actual downloads being inaccessible.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, whaaaaaaat? Is this for real?
I would love to be wrong about this, so please, somebody, correct me, but my understanding is once your battery dies, you can no longer login to PSN. If you can't login to PSN, you can't download past purchases. Those batteries have an expected lifespan of 8-10 years, so most PS3s out there are on the cusp of a dead battery. At some point, it just doesn't make any sense for Sony to leave those games up if only refurbished consoles can access them.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to be wrong about this, so please, somebody, correct me, but my understanding is once your battery dies, you can no longer login to PSN. If you can't login to PSN, you can't download past purchases. Those batteries have an expected lifespan of 8-10 years, so most PS3s out there are on the cusp of a dead battery. At some point, it just doesn't make any sense for Sony to leave those games up if only refurbished consoles can access them.

I see. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017

Is it possible to replace the battery?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'll hope in vain that they are closing the old store interfaces for implement them on PS5 as it is getting full BC so they can close the old store fronts... Oh, if only.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why does that make more sense? Sony gets money for purchases, but not for redownloads.
Sorry, what I meant was that it makes more sense from a "Making people lose faith that their future digital purchases will be secure" standpoint. I already mainly buy physical. If Sony locks away my PS3/Vita/PSP digital purchases, I'll never make another digital purchase on PSN again. Why would I, when Sony will inevitably make them inaccessible?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yep. I've never used it before, but if its between that and losing my digital library forever, I'd rather use CFW.

Yeah, I hear that. My Vita is all digital mostly because of PS+. Looks like I need two more official 64 gig cards, or a 256 custom one to ensure I don't lose anything.

My vita is on 3.73 already which just makes this all way over my head, may look into some idiot proof guides. lol

Last edited:

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I thought this comment was interesting.

F9LSnCP.png

The CDNs I've worked with function as a cache. When one user requests a file from a particular location in the world, the closest CDN node pulls the file from your backend and stores it for a set time while serving it to other users in the same location.

That poster might be thinking of manual cache invalidations, which you'd do if you've modified the file at the backend and want to immediately propagate those changes to edge nodes that have a now stale copy. This is more expensive, because it has to go around to every node that has the file.

IIRC Sony is on AWS (?), where you'd just disable the CloudFront distribution and the files will eventually expire at the edge nodes (if AWS just doesn't do it immediately). This doesn't cost anything AFAIK.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Some of you acting like you never saw this coming.....

It was going to happen, it happened to the Wii. The PS3's weird cell processor always meant shit was gonna disappear from digital purchasing at some point.

The processor has nothing to do with maintaining api support in the backend and providing minimal updates for security when needed.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this comment was interesting.

F9LSnCP.png

Wait, that comment doesn't make sense. It's referencing PlayStation Mobile but that shut down including the ability to redownload your purchases. However, it seems to imply that the content is still somehow accessible. Is there a way to access PlayStation Mobile content still or what is that reply trying to say?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Wait, that comment doesn't make sense. It's referencing PlayStation Mobile but that shut down including the ability to redownload your purchases. However, it seems to imply that the content is still somehow accessible. Is there a way to access PlayStation Mobile content still or what is that reply trying to say?
Yes, there's apparently a way to do so that can't really be described on this forum.
The person who wrote that comment essentially started/runs something called NoPaystation.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
The files are still sitting on Sony's servers, they just removed the licensing activation and the download list. People pirating those games directly from Sony's servers.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
How easy is it to hook up a backup hard drive to a stock 60gb backwards compatible system with updated firmware? I have a ton of games I own and that I need to redownload ASAP.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there's apparently a way to do so that can't really be described on this forum.
The person who wrote that comment essentially started/runs something called NoPaystation.
The files are still sitting on Sony's servers, they just removed the licensing activation and the download list. People pirating those games directly from Sony's servers.

Oh interesting. I had no idea the content was still accessible in some way on their servers.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Moving is stressful enough, now I'm stressing over the best route to backup as much of my PS3/Vita libraries as possible in the middle of one. 2021 has been a wonderful year so far /s

Alright thanks. I assume before I do all that I need to of backed up all my games to my PC first? Or can I access the store after?

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I've been getting this for the past hour or so too. It's fine until I try to purchase. Also been able to download demos fine.
I don't know if you've resolved it yet, but are you trying to pay with a credit card by any chance? I don't think you can actually use a credit card on the PS3 version of the store anymore. I got an error trying to do that about a week ago; instead, I got a digital gift card and used that to pay. Paypal may work, not sure though.

If you weren't trying to use a credit card, then nevermind lol.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
When the PS3/PSP storefront is closed it will actually be the first time it happens for a Sony console line. It will be interesting how it plays out.
Well, seeing it was their first foray into digital games makes sense. This is why I prefer the platform approach that MS is looking to embrace, where consoles are clients.
Wow. This is crazy. Not only does it prevent you from playing digital games already existing on the hard drive, but it prevents disc playback as well. Am I understanding this correctly?
yes

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
Alright thanks. I assume before I do all that I need to of backed up all my games to my PC first? Or can I access the store after?

That, I'm not 100 percent sure on. I've heard of people using the hack to trick PSN into thinking it's a different firmware than it actually is to access the store but I'd play it safe and wait until you've bought and transferred everything before doing it. I'm still waiting to buy the last remaining Vita games on my wishlist before I hack it.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this CMOS battery thing unique to playstation or does xbox and Nintendo also have this ticking time bomb?
The CMOS battery will die in everything eventually. But this stuff about needing to connect to the internet so you can use your console after replacing the battery is an exclusive feature to PS4 afaik.

Also, in some consoles it's a lot easier to replace them.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I think they want to push PSNow as the definitive BC experience even though it's still severely lacking in games that are already available on PS3/PSP/Vita. It's dumb as hell.
Agreed. To me this either means that Sony figured out a way to run a BC mode on PS4/PS5 so you can download games from older gens or they are just assholes.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is this CMOS battery thing unique to playstation or does xbox and Nintendo also have this ticking time bomb?

For Nintendo, the GameCube, wii, and wii u uses CMOS. Not sure for handhelds.

Only the OG Xbox uses CMOS. The 360 on does not.

I think the stuff about games becoming unplayable due to no internet connetion/date and time is a playstation only thing.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not "all digital" - It's just that Sony doesn't give a crap about older games or platforms.

One day the PS5, and even sooner, the PS4, becomes those old consoles. I still have my PS3 and 360 hooked up, as well as my wiiu and Dreamcast. Preservation is something that I didn't know I'd have to take seriously but now I do. I just have been trained to not buy games on Sony consoles that can be obtained from other places and never digitally again.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
My entire Vita library is digital. Ps3 is about 1/3 digital, PS4 is probably 50/50.

Ain't ever doing that again for a Sony product. lol

Good, now complete the circle and stop doing it on any console. If history has taught us anything, no one can be trusted with digital storefronts.

----- See Also ------
Original Xbox Live Arcade
Xbox Live Indie Games
Original Xbox DLC
DSi eShop
Wii eShop
OnLive
GameTap
etc.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft moves forward by looking backwards

Sony moves backwards by looking forward

It's crazy that I went from always buying physical to being being confident enough to go fully digital on one platform and being afraid to try and build a library at all on the other, and this only justifies that choice further.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I finally switched my 80GB PS3 hard drive to a 500GB one I had laying around, went through installing and all, and am now redownloading all my games. I backed up my saves to a USB stick.

Good god the PS3 PS Store UI is AWFUL now.

It's also annoying there's no "download all" button and you have to go click each game individually, and then wait almost a minute to have each one background download.

At least this way I won't lose my chance to play the Digital Devil Saga and Raidou games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.