• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting anything more than a card that comes close to a 2080 Ti in rasterized performance, two years after NV released said 12nm card, and AMD's effort will be a space heater. Then NV will release their 7nm cards and AMD will once again look as though they're ages behind the competition.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How are AMDs drivers these days? Do they get "game ready drivers" before big releases like Nvidia?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How are AMDs drivers these days? Do they get "game ready drivers" before big releases like Nvidia?
O yeah. They restructured their driver team few years back, for a while they released more drivers than nvidia. They do not only game driver updates, but also work on tons of side-services accessible via redesigned driver control app.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Killing which Nvidia cards though? I have serious doubts Navi 23 doesn't get dog walked when 7nm Ampere drops in the same year.

AMD is going to have to be easily leaving the 2080 Ti in the rear view mirror to be competitive with the Green Team's new offerings.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
O yeah. They restructured their driver team few years back, for a while they released more drivers than nvidia. They do not only game driver updates, but also work on tons of side-services accessible via redesigned driver control app.

That's cool, the last AMD card I used was 5850 so it has been awhile.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This gets said in every amd thread. Probably the same person saying it.
We get it, you have posters of Jensen Huang you masturbate to. No need to keep repeating it.

I think both AMD/Nvidia CEOs are related actually.

I've been on team green for about a decade now and still feel pretty agnostic about the brands. Not sure if the poster you quoted is being a fanboy or sarcastic/funny but he is right. I'm also of the mindset that in the medium term, a more competitive AMD will just mean cheaper nvidia stuff which I will likely still choose over AMD.

I just like their stuff. The RTX stuff I'm not too enthused about, but the GTX 1080 has been one of the best cards i've owned in a long long time. And I will definately upgrade to the next high end card they put out before I check out AMD's stuff if the competition is 'close' between the two (assuming AMD has a high end ansewer to the Ampere cards) and I'm not 100% convinced of that yet, and It will take a while to win me back sadly.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
AMD always disappoints when it comes to pricing for its video cards. Never disruptive anymore, usually just $50-100 less than Nvidia cards and with the Turing series Nvidia really jacked up video card prices horribly. So expect a 2080 super competitor at $600-700 and a 2080 Ti competitor at $1000. And of course Nvidia's next line of cards is due out in 2020 when AMD cards are coming...

How about a card faster than the 2080 Ti, which was only 30% or so faster than a 2017 video card, for like $600 to really shake things up again.

If I ever find a clear upgrade path from a $700 1080 Ti from 2017 any time in 2020 that doesn't cost over $800 it would be nice but I doubt it. Nvidia should just ditch the useless Tensor cores as they make the chip way too large / costly to manufacture for no significant gaming benefit (DLSS sucks, way too blurry), if you want to do deep learning /AI stuff go buy a pro card... Otherwise, I predict a $1500 or higher 3080 Ti, sigh.

Last edited:

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
They're already competing in the mid-range with the Radeon 5700 and 5700 XT, which are better than Nvidia's similarly priced cards. But they're missing in the high end. They need to compete against the 2080 Ti to make enthusiasts excited.

Sure, but remember those Steam hardware surveys? Here's one from June - the top slots are filled by the GTX 1060 and 1050 Ti, the next tier down. That's where the folks are. Even our arguments about the Vega series or the Navi models out so far are outside that bracket.

Nvidia has released its effective replacements for those already with the GTX 16-series, but AMD's closest competition is the RX 580. Which is a great card! I loved mine! But it's pretty aged.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I remember when people decried AMD "going console" as the death knell of the company. Instead that turned out to be an extremely smart strategy/ lucky break/ whatever that allowed them to recover and push back.

They're still the underdog and I'm rooting for them. I'd like to see relative power parity so the two giants (isn't Intel entering the GPU arena soon, too?) can box each other over price.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just such a pickle because even though they don't have a ray tracing card out there, they're the GPU of the next consoles which ARE confirmed to have ray tracing.

I've got a 1080 and I've been tempted by the 5700 XT but I feel like I'd be an idiot to get a card that doesn't support ray tracing at this point. By the time they get their heads out of their asses and release one people will already be geared up for next-gen titles.

I just feel like it's always a bunch of bravado from them and then they come to the party with tech 2 years behind for like $50-$100 less.

If the 5700 XT had ray tracing and been $400 I'd have one installed right now.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Rumours of a forthcoming Radeon design finally eating Nvidia's lunch, aka The Neverending Story

Oct 26, 2017
AMD won the CPU war against Intel, but Nvidia is way tougher than Intel and i don't think AMD will deliver a better product than Nvidia at a good price.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Whenever you name anything "<Something> Killer" it's bound to do the opposite and fail miserably.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
For me, 'nvidia killer' translates to at least 15% more performance across the board at equal or less price. Something that I think will be pretty hard for them to achieve.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering the 5700XT performance so far I'm pretty keen for a stronger card at typical AMD pricing. I'd honestly get the 5700XT if I didn't have the 1070 as I'm in no mind to care about wasting more money on ray tracing which is barely implemented.

Nov 8, 2017
I think you've rewritten history in your mind.

I remember people immediately saying that having both Microsoft and Sony was a huge get and years of "lol Nvidia salty" when the latter said they didn't care.

Yeah the old place was full of that over 2013-2014. Like a journalist would ask an nvidia rep about consoles and Nvidia would give some softball answer and then people would go "ohhh why can't Nvidia stop talking about this? Nvidia so salty!"

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As the owner of a 2080Ti i really hope for a high end GPU from AMD, they offer Freesync via HDMI which Nvidia doesn't, plus the most important thing, competition to drive prices down.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds cool, but Nvidia will have a new line and likely a new node next year, so they're going against a moving target. It'd be great for AMD to offer competition against Nvidia in the way they have against Intel.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like AMD a lot and really dislike what Nvidia has been doing in terms of pricing for a while now, but I find it highly unlikely that they will have a significant performance advantage.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they can pull off another Ryzen 3000 moment, because the 5700 series is already pretty decent for it's price. However, I need something that can shred my 2080 with at least 100% more performance. Need more power for ultra wide gaming.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
I wish them nothing but success, more competition in the gpu space is only a good thing for consumers.

I remain skeptical, though.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is a full node behind yet keeping the lead in performance etc. This is not a repeat of Intel. Nvidia is going to have a massive lead again when they move to 7nm. AMD needed 7nm to compete with essentially 3 year old GPUs.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Looking for an upgrade for my 1080 next year. No interest in paying a premium for RTX, so they have my attention.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I'm all for Ryzen and CPUs. It will be so tough for me ever to switch to AMD for GPUs though. Just too many games that take advantage of gameworks and other things. And my whole library of codes and what not for so many games.

I hope they keep competitive though. But in reality their CPU business is where I am interested in things.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You should be welcoming this
I should be welcoming what? Another PR bullshit coming from AMD (or their fanboys maybe in this case) instead of products actually capable competing with NV GPUs? Why should I welcome this?

even if you do continue to support nVidia (which is obvious)
The only obvious thing here is that my post which stated facts again got you wind up showing your pro-AMD agenda again.

i dont think its impossible for AMD to match NVidia's high end performance, their IPC right now is apparently on par or 1% ahead of Turing, but, whether or not they actually release a high end chip on par with NVidia depends on how scalable Navi really is in CU amount. is it still getting massive inefficiencies at 64CU like the vega 64, or has RDNA fixed the flaw from GCN.
It's totally possible for them to match NV's performance in every segment. But there are several apparent cave eats:
A. There is no apparent way of them offering better perf/dollar with RDNA(2) than what NV offer (Turing) or may offer (7nm) as a reaction to their launches.
B. They are likely to still be less power efficient meaning that power will still be the main limiting factor for them and it may result in them not being able to compete in the highest end of the market, just as it was for the last several generations.
C. I really don't see how "matching NV's performance" will "kill Nvidia". I especially don't see how just one new chip codenamed whatever may kill Nvidia. This is just baseless hype for fanboys consumption, nothing more at this point.

Just built a Ryzen 3900X system (with 2080TI GPU) because it was a better value compared to intel for more cores, higher performance for 3D/video rendering and comparable performance in gaming compared to the i9.

Their new Epyc server CPU absolutely destroy Intel Xenon in both performance and price.

They're on a pretty good roll currently and I'm sure NVIDIA is in their sights.
For some reason people are continuing to make this weird comparison between Ryzen fighting Intel - who's actually been lazy for more than ten years now and managed to ran itself into many product lineup issues in both architecture (the forcing of useless iGPUs on desktops for example) and production (well known 10nm woes) - and Radeon fighting NV. The last fight is a completely different one, NV isn't Intel, they don't have any issues with their products or production lines (given that they don't have ones and use the same which AMD is using). There is no clear way of "killing NV" here, not to the extent of "killing Intel" at least. If anything, it's NV who's forcing AMD's hand currently in providing support for new rendering features in their future GPUs.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should be welcoming what? Another PR bullshit coming from AMD (or their fanboys maybe in this case) instead of products actually capable competing with NV GPUs? Why should I welcome this?

The only obvious thing here is that my post which stated facts again got you wind up showing your pro-AMD agenda again.

It's totally possible for them to match NV's performance in every segment. But there are several apparent cave eats:
A. There is no apparent way of them offering better perf/dollar with RDNA(2) than what NV offer (Turing) or may offer (7nm) as a reaction to their launches.
B. They are likely to still be less power efficient meaning that power will still be the main limiting factor for them and it may result in them not being able to compete in the highest end of the market, just as it was for the last several generations.
C. I really don't see how "matching NV's performance" will "kill Nvidia". I especially don't see how just one new chip codenamed whatever may kill Nvidia. This is just baseless hype for fanboys consumption, nothing more at this point.

For some reason people are continuing to make this weird comparison between Ryzen fighting Intel - who's actually been lazy for more than ten years now and managed to ran itself into many product lineup issues in both architecture (the forcing of useless iGPUs on desktops for example) and production (well known 10nm woes) - and Radeon fighting NV. The last fight is a completely different one, NV isn't Intel, they don't have any issues with their products or production lines (given that they don't have ones and use the same which AMD is using). There is no clear way of "killing NV" here, not to the extent of "killing Intel" at least. If anything, it's NV who's forcing AMD's hand currently in providing support for new rendering features in their future GPUs.
I love your fanboy accusations when it is you who contually acts like a fanboy. Am I selling you or anyone else on AMD here or my pro-AMD agend, so show me where there is a pro-AMD agenda? Wake up and give your narrowminded cranium a shake, I said we should be welcoming better competition. That does not translate into AMD is better. Maye then you will figure out why we will continue to see high prces in the top end until AMD does get cards that can compete because they've already done that on mid-range cards.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
AMD having a viable architecture finally and Intel launching their own product stack in 2020 are amazing news. Nvidia's domination has been terrible for everyone except their shareholders.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
If What AMD offers absolutely crushes Nvidia new cards I hereby swear that I will eat my 2080ti live on twitch.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm not seeing this reported anywhere reputable, nor even the relavent /hardware and /amd subreddits, so methinks there is a high chance this is an entirely fabricated leak.

Yeah, while it would of course be great for AMD to finally inject some competition into the high-end/enthusiast bracket, the lack of corroboration brings to mind Wccftech's repeated claim in the lead-up the announcement of the 20xx Super sub-series that the 2080 Ti Super is absolutely, totally, definitely a thing.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, while it would of course be great for AMD to finally inject some competition into the high-end/enthusiast bracket, the lack of corroboration brings to mind Wccftech's repeated claim in the lead-up the announcement of the 20xx Super sub-series that the 2080 Ti Super is absolutely, totally, definitely a thing.

It's the best kind of rumour where the only part we will ever be able to corroborate is whether or not there is a thing called "Navi 23" and that's not a real crazy guess. Nobody's going to ever confirm or deny whether they internally called something "The Nvidia Killer", the existence of some kind of Big Navi is patently obvious to everyone, and if it falls a bit short of expectations people can always say that they were actually referring to the superior price:perf ratio, not superior overall performance.

Next week I'm going to start a rumour that there will be a GeForce 3000 series using the already rumoured Ampere code name, and that there will be a chip called "AM102" that is internally believed to outperform the Navi 20 series. Please give me money for my amazing analysis.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The employee training at my company specifically tells us not to refer to any product as a "<competitor> Killer", because it could get the company in trouble if they are ever part of some regulatory investigation. The reason is that the smoking gun in the EU's case against Microsoft back in the day was that they talked about how Internet Explorer would be a Netscape killer in internal emails.

Of course, maybe from AMD's current position that is the last thing you are worried about.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Hopefully they pull it off. I just bought a 2060 Super for my new build but I'd be happy to sell it and upgrade if this one is compelling enough.