dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Internally named "Nvidia killer" at the point of inception.
Externally rumored "best thing since sliced bread" a year prior to launching.
Universally considered "meh" a day after coming to market.

Certainly looks like a GPU from AMD.

Am I hallucinating or in recent amd interviews they said they're not chasing Ray tracing?
What do you expect them to say when their newly launched products don't support it?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe actually deliver a competitive product before spewing stuff like this, they haven't really been competitive in ages, just good enough at best for gaming and decent for productivity.

Either match Nvidia at the high end while retaining a compelling price or deliver something even better, delivering the same amount of performance for the same price with less features of Nvidia's 2018 offerings isn't gonna change AMD's failing GPU offerings.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Navi does seem like light at the end of the tunnel based on Navi 10's performance, so a little more optimism is warranted considering it isn't a portable fission reactor like some Vega processors were. The boasting, eh, less so.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they support it longer than they did the Radeon VII.
Kinda engineered themselves into a corner with that one.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Navi does seem like light at the end of the tunnel based on Navi 10's performance, so a little more optimism is warranted considering it isn't a portable fission reactor like some Vega processors were. The boasting, eh, less so.
Is it boasting, though, if the name is internal? Sounds to me like it was just intended as a way to motivate employees.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
fqZyMce.jpg

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not hyped about any of there cards anymore. I'll wait for Intel and see if they are actually going to be competitive.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I hope it's the PS5 GPU somehow honestly.
The competition from that will be delicious, no more 5% increases per gen for $500 more.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt AMD will EVER compete with Nvidia in the high-end space.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We will see. I think everyone wants this to be true just to give some relief to our poor wallets.

Of course, that's why there still remains huge jumps in pricing once AMD no longer competes in performance.

Internally named "Nvidia killer" at the point of inception.
Externally rumored "best thing since sliced bread" a year prior to launching.
Universally considered "meh" a day after coming to market.

Certainly looks like a GPU from AMD.

It's so refreshing to see you continually try and downplay any competition that may occur./s

You should be welcoming this because even if you do continue to support nVidia (which is obvious) it would still have a positive effect because nVidia would then have to price them better like they have already in the mid-range cards.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone was building a mid ranged PC today, AMD would absolutely be the right choice. Next year though? Big doubts. AMD had to jump a node to beat Nvidia, so when Nvidia jumps to 7nm, what's team red's gameplan?

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I welcome a challenger to nvidia and their insane prices. Although I'd suspect that even if AMD comes out with a card that trounces all over what nvidia currently offers it will be swiftly outpaced again after a very short time.

Their CPUs have come so far but team green is still going to be my go to for graphics cards until some really strong price to performance cards are released that smash nvidias numbers.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
That was never planned as a big seller card due to high production costs, it was simply binned mi60 chip they decided to slam on the "gaming" side to show they aren't totally gone.

Truly hope they'd come in big, but we been down this rodeo a few times already, playing catch up with nvidias old chips when they have new lineup for next year which is most likely a bigger leap than pascal->turign was doesn't look great, again.

Last edited:

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I doubt AMD will EVER compete with Nvidia in the high-end space.

Unless there's more funding for the Radeon division, yeah, I agree. But they don't need to compete against the 2080 Ti. They can at least be consistent in matching other cards from Nvidia and I think the market would accept that.

And yet here we are: their mainstream-priced Polaris cards are from eons ago, their last GTX 1080 competitor, the Vega 64, accelerated global warming, and the Navi architecture isn't facing the GTX 16 cards while Nvidia shoves Turing everywhere.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless there's more funding for the Radeon division, yeah, I agree. But they don't need to compete against the 2080 Ti. They can at least be consistent in matching other cards from Nvidia and I think the market would accept that.

And yet here we are: their mainstream-priced Polaris cards are from eons ago, their last GTX 1080 competitor, the Vega 64, accelerated global warming, and the Navi architecture isn't facing the GTX 16 cards while Nvidia shoves Turing everywhere.

That Vega 56/64 'too much power' thing was a bad meme, btw.
Can easily undervolt Vega cards to get the same performance at under 250w, but I wish AMD had tested and binned their cards better at a factory level.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Competition is good. Nvidia did gloat that they could produce the most efficient GPUs at any time, implying they could match whatever AMD pulls out of their bag and I am frankly a lot o more interested in nvidia's response.

A more efficient GPU is good for the next generation tegra line that will go into the Switch 2.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
That Vega 56/64 overheating thing was a bad meme, btw.
Can easily undervolt Vega cards to get the same performance at under 250w, but I wish AMD had tested and binned their cards better at a factory level.

I don't think a bad meme when those cards really were reviewed pushing hotter air than their competitors. I also admit I'm cracking those jokes as a Vega 64 owner who has undervolted the GPU to do what you're suggesting.

I liked doing that! I found it interesting! But even many PC users wouldn't necessarily do that. Not every PC user is really a tweaker. It's AMD's job to do that.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? I hope they succeed, i really do. The gpu segment has been dormant for years now. I can only hope for a ryzen type shakeup.

Do it AMD!

Oct 25, 2017

They're already competing in the mid-range with the Radeon 5700 and 5700 XT, which are better than Nvidia's similarly priced cards. But they're missing in the high end. They need to compete against the 2080 Ti to make enthusiasts excited.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
That Vega 56/64 'too much power' thing was a bad meme, btw.
And if you got one of those chips that dont undervolt that well or much at all, send it back? they shipped those with the voltages for a reason

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a bad meme when those cards really were reviewed pushing hotter air than their competitors. I also admit I'm cracking those jokes as a Vega 64 owner who has undervolted the GPU to do what you're suggesting.

I liked doing that! I found it interesting! But even many PC users wouldn't necessarily do that. Not every PC user is really a tweaker. It's AMD's job to do that.

Alright, that's fair enough for the majority of people. Also, username checks out. haha
And if you got one of those chips that dont undervolt that well or much at all, send it back? they shipped those with the voltages for a reason

Technically, some cards might not be able to be undervolted, but given there's 7 clock speed states / voltages you can change, you probably could get some power reduction out of a card.

But yeah, that's difficult for most people to try out though.
And auto-undervolting wasn't available at launch and isn't mandatory either...

Eh, never mind. Hoping Navi allows for some kind of automatic voltage adjustment. Something like Ryzen CPUs have with that 'precision boost overdrive'?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Radeon VII was always a stopgap product. Navi was originally supposed to release at the beginning of this year, but once it became clear it needed more time in the oven, they threw out the Radeon VII to remind people they were still here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont think its impossible for AMD to match NVidia's high end performance, their IPC right now is apparently on par or 1% ahead of Turing, but, whether or not they actually release a high end chip on par with NVidia depends on how scalable Navi really is in CU amount. is it still getting massive inefficiencies at 64CU like the vega 64, or has RDNA fixed the flaw from GCN.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I am just going to wait for the nvidia, or AMD card that will run Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra.

You will need NV GPU for that and I doubt when CP77 releases there is RTX card powerful enough for that. At least not if you are looking for decent FPS experience too.

Also will this AMD GPU do any better than all those "WOW killers" did?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the 5700XT doesn't seem like a particularly future-proof card, so RDNA2 will have to come out swinging in the face of Ampere and whatever Intel has cooking up. I can see Big Navi doing decently at least. though how it will fare against Nvidia's "Ray Tracing Enabled" marketing will remain to be seen. even worse if it forces Nvidia's prices down

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Just built a Ryzen 3900X system (with 2080TI GPU) because it was a better value compared to intel for more cores, higher performance for 3D/video rendering and comparable performance in gaming compared to the i9.

Their new Epyc server CPU absolutely destroy Intel Xenon in both performance and price.

They're on a pretty good roll currently and I'm sure NVIDIA is in their sights.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They're on a pretty good roll currently and I'm sure NVIDIA is in their sights.

Even if they do I doubt this "NV Killer" is going to do much. AMD cannibalized their dGPU department of basically all funding and personnel as they put all eggs into Ryzen basket.

Ramping that side back up will take time and they can't go to town with dGPU department yet either as while Ryzen is making bank is it making two huge departments worth? For them to become really competitive at high end of dGPU's will take time still.