• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanChop12

Oct 25, 2017
If you're like me, you could be missing the very last file in the game:

The one on the floor to the left of the door after you climb the ladder once you've blown Nemesis up with the railgun. I ran past it on two playthroughs since the area's covered with blood and I was always making a beeline for Nicholai.
I did already have that one. Had everything you guys listed as easy to miss. I figured knowing me it was something super easy to find. Sure enough it was...
the photo of the combination lock on the whiteboard in the RPD secure locker room
LOL. Thanks guys.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the game a couple of hours each night, and finally beat it tonight. I thought the game was well paced, took my time exploring everywhere, and played it on assisted and had a blast. My game time completion was 7 hours and my total playtime was almost 9 hours. I played and beat RE2R for the first time last weekend, and this game really compliments each other. I like them equally for similar and different reasons. RE2R is as far as Resident Evil should go with action as it had a good blend of survival horror and blockbuster action cutscenes and boss fights. I really hope Capcom has some singleplayer DLC for this. If not, I'd be happy if they just sell an Unlock All In-Game Rewards DLC.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah they get away safe on the morning of the 30th. The events of the Raccoon City Incident basically goes like this.

Ignore this one the formatting is fucked
Night of the 28th September

Jill encounters Nemesis and RE3 begins

Morning of the 29th September

Jill is infected and Carlos finds a cure for her

Night of the 29th of September

Leon and Claire arrive in the City and RE2 begins

Morning of the 30th September

Leon, Claire and Sherry escape from Raccoon City, as does Ada, and RE2 ends

Night of the 30th September

HUNK successfully evacuates the City

Morning of the 1st October

Jill wakes up and escapes the City with Carlos, the City is nuked and RE3 ends
In Resident Evil 2 playing as Leon, around the alligator encounter you hear the occasional loud explosion above. I can only surmise that takes place when Nemesis is chasing Jill with the rocket launcher. Though that doesn't make sense since it's raining when Leon and Ada leave the parking garage, meet Kendo, and make their way to the sewer. Now that I think about it, I don't think it ever rains during Resident Evil 3.
I wish the two teams had collaborated more to maintain continuity better. Then again, RE2 has its own glaring internal continuity problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting Hunter Betas is so much fun! That Horde part was incredible, too.

This game really feels like the closest we've got to RE5, and I'm all over it.

Is Revelations 2 anything like it? Still didn't play it, but I do own the game.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

very different. I personally hate the gun play in the Rev titles. Story is good though. The second character being a item spotter is completely pointless as well imo and feels tossed in for some reason. I think most are pretty positive on them and outside the scenario, I'm just not that big a fan of it personally.

Oct 25, 2017
very different. I personally hate the gun play in the Rev titles. Story is good though. The second character being a item spotter is completely pointless as well imo and feels tossed in for some reason. I think most are pretty positive on them and outside the scenario, I'm just not that big a fan of it personally.
Ahh, I see. Bummer, but it's good to have the right expectations.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk I think Gammas are my favorite enemy (in RE3 and RE general). I kind of miss their old design but the new one has grown on me.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Aaand there, I got a infinite rocket launcher for like the first time in the series actually lol.

TidyVillainousArrowana-max-1mb.gif

(Too bad the in-game one isn't the anti-tank rocket).

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Using an infinite weapon ranks you an automatic B at the end? I mean the Raiden gun helps out a bit...

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I just got through the segment after getting the lockpick

This game is about 8x better than Remake 2

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Game is kinda weird for me,(absolutely love it and more than REmake2)
Clearly feels like they cut content and corners but then you have stuff that feels like it has way more thought and effort put in than RE2.

Lack of Jill costumes is downright criminal though.

Its funny, it feels like it could have been,
1. RE2 DLC that they painstakingly went back through over the last year and punched up
or
2. A way over ambitious game(like an MGS4 situation) that really got chopped down to its current state

Yeah not many costumes, would have loved to see the RE5 Jill costume in RE engine goodness.

Oct 25, 2017
It is not just the clocktower, there is a lot more stuff that was taken out. But to answer the question:

-Choices and randomization. Each time you play some items might not be in the same room (some puzzles solution change as well). You also have a choice system that could lead to different endings (it is kind of similiar to Teltale Games in a way). This made the game very replayable.
-A lot of locations were taken out. Clocktower is one of them and it was like a smaller RE1 experience which made for a nice change of pace. There was also the park which is a short location but it had a boss fight with a huge worm called the Grave Digger. Then there is the final area which is the Dead Factory. It has a very similiar purpose to the final area of the game but had a very different more "rusty" asthetic. I prefer it to the final area in the remake cause it is way unique and had a cool aftermath of a battle with some tyrants. Also the city section was much bigger than it is in this game and Nemesis was way more presistent.
-Some guns never returned like the mini gun, a pistol similiar to the one arnold uses in Terminator, a repeater shotgun, a magnum revolver and a minethrower (which is replaced by mine rounds for the grenade launcher). The grenade launcher also had freeze rounds.
-Operation Mad Jackal Mercenary mode. It was way different from the one in RE4. You choose one of three mercenaries like Nikolai, Mikhail and Carlos where you have to go through the city saving civilians for loot and before the time runs out. You could regain time by killing enemies and saving civilians.
-Enemies like the spiders, worms, crows and brain suckers were cut. Brain sucker is basically a more dangerous drain demo and would have been great if they brought them back as is cause the drain demos are very different in this game and much weaker.
-A shirtless more dangerous version of Nemesis.
-Epilogue cutscenes that shows what happened to the characters from the trilogy and what they were doing after the trilogy.
-A bunch more skins for Jill were cut.

That's pretty much it.

Yeah I was disapointed it never returned.

It is especially dissapointing cause both this and the mini gun are already done in REmake 2 so it shouldn't be that hard to transfer it in if the games share the same engine build.

Heck i'd have even taken the MP5 from REMAKE 2 as another weapon.

Yeah not many costumes, would have loved to see the RE5 Jill costume in RE engine goodness.
Considering its RE3 at the very least throw in a Regina costume and a new version of the RPD Officer uniform.
latest

but change it to be more inline with
latest

for example.

Last edited:

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
ok I just beat the game on standard and starting my Hardcore playthough.

It is normal that nemesis doesn't drop a case on Hardcore when downing him while coming back from the...

Power Station
?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In Resident Evil 2 playing as Leon, around the alligator encounter you hear the occasional loud explosion above. I can only surmise that takes place when Nemesis is chasing Jill with the rocket launcher. Though that doesn't make sense since it's raining when Leon and Ada leave the parking garage, meet Kendo, and make their way to the sewer. Now that I think about it, I don't think it ever rains during Resident Evil 3.
I wish the two teams had collaborated more to maintain continuity better. Then again, RE2 has its own glaring internal continuity problems.

Well, it does rain in the very beginning with the first person

doesnt mean that much tho since its a dream

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game on Nightmare and wow the final boss is some real bullshit. I take it it's even worse on Inferno?

Also, where are everyone using their 5 saves on Inferno? I was thinking:
Power Plant
First boss fight
Hospital
Underground Warehouse
Final boss

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick note on Nemesis, I remember seeing in the initial reveals and whatnot some complaints about his 'STAAAAAARS' vs the original. I'm glad to see those mostly gone because I thought he ended up sounding great and using it plenty.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

Nah, Jill is unconscious during the entirety of RE2, so it wouldn't happen like that.

Ultimately the easiest way to remember the timeline is:

1. Start of RE3 through the point where Carlos administers the vaccine to Jill.
2. All of RE2 happens (Jill is unconscious the whole time, Carlos is watching her and presumably sleeping a bit himself)
3. Jill wakes up and does the rest of RE3.

Obviously there's finer points to it and you can follow the days/hours, etc, but that's the quickest explanation.

Also, another point I see people confused about a lot is why RE2, in both the original and remake, never mentions that Raccoon City is obliterated/bombed at the end of the outbreak. The first reason is that Leon, Claire, and Sherry escape about a full day before it happens, and by all accounts they got out of dodge pretty quickly. The other reason is, of course, that RE2 came out first and that plot point didn't exist til RE3. I assume the RE2 remake just kept things consistent and didn't get into it.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nah, Jill is unconscious during the entirety of RE2, so it wouldn't happen like that.

2. All of RE2 happens (Jill is unconscious the whole time, Carlos is watching her and presumably sleeping a bit himself)

Obviously there's finer points to it and you can follow the days/hours, etc, but that's the quickest explanation.

Also, another point I see people confused about a lot is why RE2, in both the original and remake, never mentions that Raccoon City is obliterated/bombed at the end of the outbreak. The first reason is that Leon, Claire, and Sherry escape about a full day before it happens, and by all accounts they got out of dodge pretty quickly. The other reason is, of course, that RE2 came out first and that plot point didn't exist til RE3. I assume the RE2 remake just kept things consistent and didn't get into it.

The only mention of the nuke in RE2 is in Hunk's mission, during the radio transmission. Subtle but it's there!

Dec 6, 2017
US
Fighting Hunter Betas is so much fun! That Horde part was incredible, too.

This game really feels like the closest we've got to RE5, and I'm all over it.

I think Rev 2 is a really fun game and if you dig Action-y RE, the Mercenaries mode, although called something else I forget, is great.

Overall it's very arcade-y and you feel the budget but I like it a lot more than RE5, 6 and 7 for example. It's got that B-tier PS2 era charm going on.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hate about both RE2 and RE3 is that you can't access the menu during the long drawn out death animations. It's really frustrating when I know I fucked up but have to sit through a long animation to reload my save. I presume it has to due with the dynamic difficulty system, otherwise I can't understand why they do that.
Jill in RE3 is the most badass entity in the Resident Evil universe.
I need this version of Jill to carry over into future games. I'm hoping that post credits tease ties into a future game set post VII.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't think so. It can be a bit frustrating because almost every mistake is certain death, but all his attacks can be predicted and dodged accordingly. It's a fair boss.

Eh yes and no. In a way it's not that the final boss is unfair, it's that stunlocking should not be a thing in this game. Jill should get invincibility frames on recovery since there's literally no counterplay to the Nemesis combos. The final boss just has the worst stunlock combos so this design flaw glares brightest. But it's also a problem in the fight right before (Nemesis has a flail combo that can stunlock you to death) or to a lesser extent version 1 Nemesis or the Nemesis infected zombies - on Inferno they tongue lash so much it can kill you before you can really do anything about it.

This is all Nightmare and Inferno, by the way: I love love love all the boss fights on Hardcore and that seems to be the difficulty everything was balanced around.

The final boss is also unfair on Nightmare/Inferno because his attacks are arrythmatic and they happen too fast for the player to react once they begin, so they have to anticipate with a dodge rhythm. But his right hand down smash, smashes down at different time intervals (there's a pause after the first and before the second, but no pause after the second and before the third) whereas his left one smashes down repeatedly and then pauses and does a final one. This is all a helluva lot of reliance on perfect dodging AND perfect memorization of his moveset, something that isn't required by virtually any other respected action game that I'm aware of.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
A quick note on Nemesis, I remember seeing in the initial reveals and whatnot some complaints about his 'STAAAAAARS' vs the original. I'm glad to see those mostly gone because I thought he ended up sounding great and using it plenty.

I feel like I never heard him say it during my playthrough. To be fair, I also didn't recall Jill saying
her iconic STARS line in my playthrough till I looked it up.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Beat it on Hardcore today.

This game was really good. It was also pretty disappointing. Seeing the amount of stuff cut from the original just makes you realize how much better the game could've been with more time in the oven. Nemesis himself did not have nearly as much of an impact on me as Mr. X did. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game. I just wish it had more to it. Brad's time in the game was wack.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I never heard him say it during my playthrough. To be fair, I also didn't recall Jill saying
her iconic STARS line in my playthrough till I looked it up.
Just watching the Easy Allies playthrough, there's a few cutscene ones and he says it a few times while chasing too. The
one I liked most is when Jill and Carlos are running from him to the train and he comes through the door they closed. They hear him come through the door and its a good 'STAAAARS'

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got all the achievements and 100% in the game. I got pretty good at the last boss fight on Inferno, once you learn the pattern you can take him down pretty quickly. I like how good the burst fire pistol is in that fight lol, only place I use it really.

Anyway, here's hoping they do some DLC.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a sucker for games that can be replayed over and over, and this is just that -- not just because of the short campaign/tight pacing, but also because you're always improving your skills at dodging/countering.

I know that, objectively, RE2 might be the better game all around, and I know RE3 is a remake that gutted a lot from the original, but... game design-wise, this does the right things to me.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
This is definitely the type of game that a lot of people disliked at first for multiple reasons, like being more actiony then RE2 Remake, shorter and such.
But as time goes on, more and more people will change their mind and say it was a great game after all. Kind of like another RE3..

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Also, someone is a big fan of Terminator and Aliens on the dev team because this game was full of references to those films. Does make me smile.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is massively unrealistic with some of it's references and Easter eggs though, I get that it takes place in 1998, but I lived it,
Mega Man was never that popular, capcom!

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Is the minimalist trophy/achievement not unlocking for anybody else? Just completed a run without ever touching an item box and its still locked :\

Only thought is maybe because I didn't do it in a single sitting or possibly opened one up at some point and forgot

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game on Nightmare and wow the final boss is some real bullshit. I take it it's even worse on Inferno?

Also, where are everyone using their 5 saves on Inferno? I was thinking:
Power Plant
First boss fight
Hospital
Underground Warehouse
Final boss

Context: I used infinite launcher for my run (I feel the dev/designers intended for this personally)

The worst part of the game on Inferno is easily the beginning, after that it's cake city.

I only used 4 saves here:

- Reaching Kendo (this is pretty sketch because of the Nemesis sequences which are straight trash, since Nemesis gets a ridiculous speed + damage boost - so feel free to use one prior or during this whole series of events)
- Before Nemesis Dog fight (honestly not needed, launcher makes this fight a joke - like every Nemesis fight really)
- Before Nemesis chemical fight (at the very least you should have 2 saves left when you reach NEST)
- Before final fight (for obvious reasons)

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a sucker for games that can be replayed over and over, and this is just that -- not just because of the short campaign/tight pacing, but also because you're always improving your skills at dodging/countering.

I know that, objectively, RE2 might be the better game all around, and I know RE3 is a remake that gutted a lot from the original, but... game design-wise, this does the right things to me.
Yeah, the cut content is a bummer, but what's there is still pretty solid.

The dodge/parry are so good and R3make Jill is amazing.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
First playthrough finished. Hardcore mode in just over 5 hours.

I liked it, but nowhere near as much as RE2R last year. I wish the dodge felt more reliable to me, I can't seem to grasp how it works fully and the idea of mastering it feels a bit more overwhelming than I'd like, and Nemesis's use in the game felt very underwhelming to me as someone who actually enjoyed Mr X's pursuer dynamic last year.

Those flaws aside, I do feel compelled to replay the game, but I don't think I'll put the effort in for the Platinum trophy. I'll probably run it a couple more times to get a few shop unlocks (the shop is cool!) and for my own amusement, but not gonna pursue the really hardcore trophies/achievements this time around.

Also, Jill in this game is so fucking cool.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the final boss fight on nightmare is really living up to the difficulty name.
edit: wow beat it without taking damage just after I sent this comment

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

I get that but the RE2 team clearly wanted there to be some overlap. The RE3 team deciding to give the story a detailed timeline was a mistake. It taking half a day for Carlos to reach Jill is a baffling time gap to include in this kind of story. It does give them a window to put in some extra Carlos DLC if Capcom wants to or another game that overlaps with RE3.
Another nitpick I have with the game is that there isn't a proper sequence/explanation for Jill gearing up. She picks up that G19 from the dead cop and then she magically has her tactical gear on when that zombie breaks out of the bar. Kind of a glaring oversight when they could have waited until she reaches the subway. Hell, she could have obtained the new gear from Brad.

I hope one day we get a clearer look at what all transpired during the development of RE2 and 3.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was skeptical if a Mercenaries mode would ever work with the durability of REmake zombies but man if it gave you the timing of dodges/parries with that of the STARS manuel gives you, it would've been fun.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Context: I used infinite launcher for my run (I feel the dev/designers intended for this personally)

The worst part of the game on Inferno is easily the beginning, after that it's cake city.

I only used 4 saves here:

- Reaching Kendo (this is pretty sketch because of the Nemesis sequences which are straight trash, since Nemesis gets a ridiculous speed + damage boost - so feel free to use one prior or during this whole series of events)
- Before Nemesis Dog fight (honestly not needed, launcher makes this fight a joke - like every Nemesis fight really)
- Before Nemesis chemical fight (at the very least you should have 2 saves left when you reach NEST)
- Before final fight (for obvious reasons)
Thanks. Yeah, I'm planning on using the infinite rocket launcher as well. From everything I've heard, it really does sound like Inferno was balanced around it.

I figure the Power Plant will be a good safety save in case I have trouble with the early chase sequences, as I really don't want to replay through the start of the game multiple times. Kendo definitely seems like a much better second save spot though, as the rocket chase sequence is one of the parts I'm dreading the most.

How was the final boss though? On Nightmare with both defence coins I could survive his three hit combo by dodging just one of the attacks, is it the same on Inferno or do I have to dodge more?

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Finally got to give an evening to this. Made it to the rooftop fight and... I'm loving this? So much lukewarm reception led me to believe I was in for disappointment. Yeah, it's more action heavy - just like the 99 game.