Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It is the fact it is a remake of RE3 and yet a lot of what people wanted to see remade haven't returned. REmake 2 brought most of the things back but REmake 3 removed a huge chunk of the original.

It is a really fun game but you can't expect people not to be disappointed that they didn't get what a remake is supposed to do. Which is a remade game of the original that recreates what people loved about the original in todays technology.

I can certainly understand that. I guess that never crossed my mind because remake 2 and 3 were my first RE games.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can replay a game 4 times back to back lol, even a short one

I'm not sure I can even handle a second playthrough without at least a bit of a break

Oct 29, 2017
That was a great experience. Wish there was more horror but I remember the original being pretty tame too. Finished it on hardcore in 6.5 hours

Oct 27, 2017
I can certainly understand that. I guess that never crossed my mind because remake 2 and 3 were my first RE games.
Don't get me wrong, the game is really good, it is just that while remake 2 remade almost everything (not everything but most of the stuff), REmake 3 was very underwhelming cause we thought REmake 2 was the limit but this was beyond that.

Still, it is a really good game that stands on it's own. Don't let other people's expectations ruin it for you.
I don't understand how anyone can replay a game 4 times back to back lol, even a short one

I'm not sure I can even handle a second playthrough without at least a bit of a break
It is weird but I am the type of guy that needs breaks, yet once I replayed it again I was hooked once again.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The final boss on nightmare is very poor design seems like. Not fun at all.

I don't think so. It can be a bit frustrating because almost every mistake is certain death, but all his attacks can be predicted and dodged accordingly. It's a fair boss.

Morever, we should also take into consideration the coins that boost defense and health here, as they are part of the game's mechanics. There is a reason Nightmare can't be picked from the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
GOD, THAT BLOODBORNE SHARK BOSS FIGHT WAS SO FUCKING COOL.

HGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNN

Probably my favorite RE boss fight since Wesker. Not a very high bar, though. RE7 had a couple of good ones, but in RE2 they were REALLY underwhelming.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss on nightmare is very poor design seems like. Not fun at all.
It is poorly designed. You basically have to be perfect just to beat the boss. I can't think of an action game that requires you to be perfect unless you're going for a high rank or something. Idk what they were thinking with Nightmare mode.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I don't think so. It can be a bit frustrating because almost every mistake is certain death, but all his attacks can be predicted and dodged accordingly. It's a fair boss.

Morever, we should also take into consideration the coins that boost defense and health here, as they are part of the game's mechanics. There is a reason Nightmare can't be picked from the beginning.
The problem is there is a huge mismatch between the final boss and everything else. All of nightmare was smooth sailing and suddenly the end of the game heavily encourages you to use shop items. Also, perfect dodge seems inconsistent. Thinking about grabbing the stars manual but again, it's a bit silly.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They went a bit too far with making Nikolai comically evil lol, that grin through the gate would be at home in a Jrpg

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The problem is there is a huge mismatch between the final boss and everything else. All of nightmare was smooth sailing and suddenly the end of the game heavily encourages you to use shop items. Also, perfect dodge seems inconsistent. Thinking about grabbing the stars manual but again, it's a bit silly.

Well, it is the final boss. I think it works. And I think the dodge is fine, I did it without the manual and by the time I defeated the boss I felt very confident. If I missed a dodge I knew it was because I made a mistake. I did take me some 50-60 deaths to get to that point though.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
When Jill wakes up in the hospital, that's when it changes to October 1st and takes place after RE2.

Thanks everyone who answered! So, um....

I assume Claire, Leon and Sherry survive the destruction of RC, because they exit the underground facility on the outskirts of the city. Correct?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Whew, just finished up my sub 2 hour assisted run, successfully doing it without using healing items and the item box. I actually just barely made it for the A rank (saved too many times sadly for S). XD

Now to buy some stuff, and either do some weapon farming or go tackle Hardcore.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
It is the fact it is a remake of RE3 and yet a lot of what people wanted to see remade haven't returned. REmake 2 brought most of the things back but REmake 3 removed a huge chunk of the original.

It is a really fun game but you can't expect people not to be disappointed that they didn't get what a remake is supposed to do. Which is a remade game of the original that recreates what people loved about the original in todays technology.

Now that I've finished the game, as someone who never played the original - can someone tell me what was actually cut? What was so great about this clock tower everyone keeps mentioning?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Hardcore with a goddamn B rank. 5 saves, 0 deaths, 1:52:17. I thought I'd at least get an A damn. 1:45 seems pretty strict with no special items. That hospital room with the two Hunters is gonna be a fucking run killer. What a bullshit room. Seems like you gotta get really lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the infinite launcher was the classic RE launcher Carlos uses when he first shows up.
latest

53A2B6276628A92D97B61E3F7E34C59944471A7F

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! So, um....

I assume Claire, Leon and Sherry survive the destruction of RC, because they exit the underground facility on the outskirts of the city. Correct?

Yeah they get away safe on the morning of the 30th. The events of the Raccoon City Incident basically goes like this.

Ignore this one the formatting is fucked
Night of the 28th September

Jill encounters Nemesis and RE3 begins

Morning of the 29th September

Jill is infected and Carlos finds a cure for her

Night of the 29th of September

Leon and Claire arrive in the City and RE2 begins

Morning of the 30th September

Leon, Claire and Sherry escape from Raccoon City, as does Ada, and RE2 ends

Night of the 30th September

HUNK successfully evacuates the City

Morning of the 1st October

Jill wakes up and escapes the City with Carlos, the City is nuked and RE3 ends

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
When Leon, Claire and Sherry leave the city, the missile strike hasn't been issued yet.

Yeah they get away safe on the morning of the 30th. The events of the Raccoon City Incident basically goes like this.

Leon, Claire and Sherry escape from Raccoon City and RE2 ends

Thanks for the answers!

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've finished the game, as someone who never played the original - can someone tell me what was actually cut? What was so great about this clock tower everyone keeps mentioning?
It is not just the clocktower, there is a lot more stuff that was taken out. But to answer the question:

-Choices and randomization. Each time you play some items might not be in the same room (some puzzles solution change as well). You also have a choice system that could lead to different endings (it is kind of similiar to Teltale Games in a way). This made the game very replayable.
-A lot of locations were taken out. Clocktower is one of them and it was like a smaller RE1 experience which made for a nice change of pace. There was also the park which is a short location but it had a boss fight with a huge worm called the Grave Digger. Then there is the final area which is the Dead Factory. It has a very similiar purpose to the final area of the game but had a very different more "rusty" asthetic. I prefer it to the final area in the remake cause it is way unique and had a cool aftermath of a battle with some tyrants. Also the city section was much bigger than it is in this game and Nemesis was way more presistent.
-Some guns never returned like the mini gun, a pistol similiar to the one arnold uses in Terminator, a repeater shotgun, a magnum revolver and a minethrower (which is replaced by mine rounds for the grenade launcher). The grenade launcher also had freeze rounds.
-Operation Mad Jackal Mercenary mode. It was way different from the one in RE4. You choose one of three mercenaries like Nikolai, Mikhail and Carlos where you have to go through the city saving civilians for loot and before the time runs out. You could regain time by killing enemies and saving civilians.
-Enemies like the spiders, worms, crows and brain suckers were cut. Brain sucker is basically a more dangerous drain demo and would have been great if they brought them back as is cause the drain demos are very different in this game and much weaker.
-A shirtless more dangerous version of Nemesis.
-Epilogue cutscenes that shows what happened to the characters from the trilogy and what they were doing after the trilogy.
-A bunch more skins for Jill were cut.

That's pretty much it.
I wish the infinite launcher was the classic RE launcher Carlos uses when he first shows up.
latest

53A2B6276628A92D97B61E3F7E34C59944471A7F
Yeah I was disapointed it never returned.

It is especially dissapointing cause both this and the mini gun are already done in REmake 2 so it shouldn't be that hard to transfer it in if the games share the same engine build.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's really cool how well the game holds up with the FPS camera mod. Haven't tried it myself but here's some footage.

Highlights:

3:33
7:55
11:54

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh games does a pet peeve. Magically appearing Cut scene ammo.

I have no grenade rounds. In the next cut scene Jill apparently had like 6...

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no A rank?
I just did a standard run and got 2:02 with B rank (I had 5 saves total). I definitely lost some time in the Carlos hospital bit and backtracked as Jill too much. Still was much easier than hardcore. Only shop items I used were the samurai edge and training manual. Still, seems easier to get S rank here than RE2 considering it's just my second playthrough. Kinda wish the dodge always worked with the training manual timing...

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no A rank?
I just did a standard run and got 2:02 with B rank (I had 5 saves total). I definitely lost some time in the Carlos hospital bit and backtracked as Jill too much. Still was much easier than hardcore. Only shop items I used were the samurai edge and training manual. Still, seems easier to get S rank here than RE2 considering it's just my second playthrough. Kinda wish the dodge always worked with the training manual timing...

Yes there is an A rank.

S - 2hr or less, 5 saves max

A - 2 hr or less, more than 5 saves

B - more than 2hrs period

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finally beat it, short but sweet despite finding the final boss not great. This was the best version of Jill, ever.

What does the speedrunning community think of this game? This seems tailor-made for that crowd.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City

Ignore this one the formatting is fucked

Leon, Claire and Sherry escape from Raccoon City, as does Ada, and RE2 ends

Thanks for the answers!

The timeline is actually incorrect regarding Ada; she never leaves Raccoon City the same time as Leon/Claire/Sherry. She escapes Umbrella's Lab's self-destruction, but not Raccoon City yet. She finds the G-Virus and steals it, but being badly damaged from the facility's explosion, she bandages herself up. She then meets up with her client (who had committed suicide) and has a meeting with Wesker, who informs her of Raccoon's nuking and tells her to evacuate ASAP using the Grapple Hook. She heads for the rendezvous point where she kills Super Tyrant for good, and grapples onto an Umbrella officer's helicopter and escapes Raccoon City the same time as Jill and Carlos do. Jill even witnesses the other helicopter and Ada fleeing the city as well.