• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I think I'll have to limit my Top 10 to having one game per series... because otherwise 9/10 games in my list will be 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Yoshi or DKC 😯

In fact, if I were to do a Top 25, it looks like Nintendo would take up 15 spots on it. Seriously, how are they so much better at this genre than everyone else?!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In fact, if I were to do a Top 25, it looks like Nintendo would take up 15 spots on it. Seriously, how are they so much better at this genre than everyone else?!
Nintendo excels at certain types of platformers but they don't even really attempt stuff like traditional Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, Bionic Commando, etc..

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
OK, I think I'll have to limit my Top 10 to having one game per series... because otherwise 9/10 games in my list will be 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Yoshi or DKC 😯

Idk, I'd actually disagree personally.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, how are they so much better at this genre than everyone else?!
They arguably created the genre with Donkey Kong arcade (there are some earlier examples that are debated, but it was the first game to feature jumping). They also popularized the genre and so have put more time and have more development experience in the genre than anyone else.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - On Gameboy Colour. The best version of the most essential platformer. You get the first Super Mario Bros. with slightly better controls and filled to the brim with extras and easter eggs.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - The next logical step to take after the first Mario Bros.
  3. Rayman Legends - The most fun to simply control a platformer. It improves upon the prior game with a more creative campaign, which only falls short of the GOAT because it lacks a good ending. On the other hand, the online component is still alive and worth coming back to.
  4. Astrobot: Rescue Mission - This has taken the spot of Mario 64 and Mario 3D Land. It is now the the latest evolution of 3D platforming/movement that brings back the awe of playing games for the first time.
  5. Banjo-Kazooie - The reason people still ask for open 3D platformers.
  6. Kirby Superstar
  7. Castlevania: Bloodlines
  8. Donkey Kong Country 2
  9. Crash Bandicoot - the remake version.
  10. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Best Upgrades: Kirby Superstar
Best Storytelling: Super Paper Mario
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country
Best Mechanics: Rayman Legends
Best Level Design: Super Mario Bros. 3
Best Art Design: Sonic Mania
Best Boss Design: Kirby Superstar

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
1. Dustforce
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3. Sonic Mania Plus
4. Rayman Origins
5. Celeste

Not nearly enough lough for Dustforce, in here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, but I don't think anybody would say it's the first platformer the same way I don't honk anybody would argue Pong is the first shooter because you launch a projectile at your opponent lol
I don't think those are comparable. In Frogs, you control a character on a platform. You can jump off the edge and accidentally die. It's obviously simplistic compared to later games in the genre but I think plenty of people would say it counts as part of it.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
#1 Super Mario 3D World
#2 Super Metroid
#3 Super Mario World
#4 Super Mario 3
#5 Ori and the Blind Forest
#6 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
#7 Crash Bandicoot
#8 Ducktales
#9 Cuphead
#10 Castlevania

Honorable mentions aka my favorite arcade games noone remembers:
Black Tiger
Bubble Bobble
Ghouls'n Ghosts
Psychic5
Wonderboy

BADGES:
Best Upgrades: Super Metroid
Best Stories: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best Mechanics: Super Castlevania IV
Best Level Design: Super Mario 3D World
Best Art Design: Cuphead
Best Boss Design: Cuphead

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
1. Super Mario Galaxy
Galaxy was my first 3D platformer as I mostly skipped the N64 due to my PC and I didn't like Sunshine that much. And boy did it ignite my love for 3D platformers, I barely could go back to the 2D platformers of the past. The gameplay and level design is truly stellar and even though the story is as always basically non-existent the music and atmosphere make more than up for it. One of the few gameplay centric games I look back to with the wish to get to play it again for the first time.

2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
The first one was already a masterpiece, but the 2nd one is even better in basically every regard. Even though it has no true coop mode I played it to death with my best friend and have so many good memories of it.

3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Similar to DKC2 this one is even better than the already great original SMW (although I probably played no game more often then the original).

4. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
I never played the original (and it looks hard to get back into), so I wasn't particularly excited for this remake, but after just checking out the first hour of gameplay I knew I would like it. And it was even better than that, probably the only non-Mario 3D platformer that can compete with Nintendo's flagship series.
5. Super Mario Odyssey
Odyssey came back to the bigger worlds with lots of sub goals design of Mario 64 and Sunshine and I really like it. Makes me wish they would remake 64 so I can properly play it.

6. Super Meat Boy
Never did I expect a game in which I died over 7000 times would be such a blast to play. Later levels can be incredibly difficult, but once you get in the flow you can just flawlessly run through them. The controls are super tight and it never felt bad to die as you were immediately back in the action.

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
In quite some aspects it's better than its predecessor, but somehow the atmosphere is not as great. It's still a masterpiece, with everything you wish of a great 3D platformer.

8. Cavestory
Along with Meat Boy Cavestory shows how great Indie platformers can be and the music is such a blast. The remastered version of Moonsong is among a few titles on my car mix I have to replay several times before going to the next track.

9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Rayman Origins

Personally I love the Metroid and Castlevania (Metroidvania) games, but I don't count them as platformers, so that's why they're not on my list.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010)
Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the culmination of Nintendo EAD Tokyo's wild imagination, abundance of creativity, and masterclass of game design all coming together. It's not simply a retreading or evolution of their first go around beyond the Mushroom Kingdom's atmosphere, but a continuation of pushing boundaries and redefining what a platformer is capable of. Each world is a smorgasbord of every platforming idea under the sun, re-imagined, reinvented, and honed down to perfection. Like all the greats, Galaxy 2 pays homage to the titans before it with its foundation, but quickly leaves its own mark as it rockets past the stratosphere. The greatest games aren't simply trying to reach perfection, but to even move beyond what is known into the unknown, and mark new ground where none before have dared to jump. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is everything its predecessor is, and more. It is the pinnacle of the platformer genre, and a masterclass of the gaming medium.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Genesis, 1994)
Sonic_%26_Knuckles_cover.jpg

For me, Sonic lived and died on the Sega Genesis. My personal journey with the Blue Blur would end on that console, and Sega's treatment of their most iconic franchise (Saturn: Sonic who?) was the catalyst in me heading to Nintendo's shores. So in my eyes, Sonic 3 & Knuckles would make such an end worthy of remembrance. It stands upon the foundation which Sonic 1 and 2 laid before it, both narratively and gameplay-wise. While each of the games stand on their own, Sonic & Knuckles is the rare game that makes them better, as it finally completes the Death Egg trilogy (I truly appreciate games that don't need to use exposition to explain their story, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles does a wonderful job at explaining the world and stakes through its level design) and literally enhances Sonic 2 and 3 with it's Lock-On Technology. Playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 was a revelation. Sonic still thrives through the memory of these three games, and that's for a myriad of reasons. But the largest of which is because these games still stand tall, with Sonic 3 & Knuckles standing the tallest among them.

3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2007)
SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

By the time 2007 rolled around, the state of the platformer was in question. Sure, NSMB was huge, but such a game relied on a tried-and-true foundation more rooted in the old than new. Beyond that there was a barely burgeoning indie scene which only later would help to push 2D platforming back to prominence. 3D platforming, a staple of the gaming anatomy only a decade ago, was in freefall. What did running and jumping have to offer gamers in a new gaming paradigm of gritty, realistic, and mature action? For the folks at EAD Tokyo... you can teach that old plumber some gravity defying new tricks. Where 64 and Sunshine were a playground of Mario's acrobatic arts, Galaxy was both a honing down to a razor's edge of game design and a complete blowout of brand new creativity and inspiration. As Wii was a revolution meant for everyone, Galaxy too was a revolution for the platforming genre. No longer could platformers be seen as a simpler, lesser, and outdated mode of playing. Whether it was the music (a masterpiece), the scope (literally out-of-this-world), or the creativity (each galaxy bursting at the seams with snacky happiness, er... ideas new and old), Super Mario Galaxy was *the* complete package. Super Mario Galaxy reminded us all that there was so much more that Mario could inspire us with.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis, 1992)
Sonic_2_US_Cover.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the game that made me a gamer. You know what I'm talking about, your first love that made you realize that video games were something special, unique, and worthy of not just your entertainment, but your appreciation and joy. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was all that and more. A super cool protagonist that was fast, fun, and a joy to control. The world was sprawling with sights, sounds, dangers, and journeys taking you from emerald hills to an suspiciously Death Star-esque battle station capable of enslaving the world you held so dear. It allowed a spin dash (revelatory!), two player coop or competition, incredible music, and the ability to go Super Saiyan. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was that video game for me, the game that made me proud to defend Sega on the playground and the game that gave me first blue hero.

5. Super Mario World (SNES, 1991)
Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

While I was most definitely that Sega fanboy upon the battlefield of the school playground, I have to admit that my foes had some potent ammunition. Yeah, Sonic was fast, fun, and had that Blast Processing secret sauce, Super Mario World was absolutely massive in comparison. I could only look in wonder at the scale, scope, and enormity that Dinosaur Land offered the player (the ability to save was also a major sense of jealousy). When a neighbor invited me over to "play some Mario", I couldn't refuse, and that was my introduction to the King of Gaming: Super Mario. It was all that I envisioned and more: sprawling worlds to explore, secrets to unlock, castles to scale, haunted houses to survive, and a journey unlike anything I ever experienced. After that, I was still a true blue Sonic fan, but boy that Super Nintendo and Mario were pretty cool...

6. Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
330px-Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

The 5th generation of consoles was a time of change. 2D sprites were dropped overnight in lieu of 3D polygons. Sony entered the fray and supplanted both Sega and Nintendo as king of the castle. As for me personally, I never looked twice at the Saturn, and instead began my journey as a big ol' Nintendo fan (that's what happens when you don't make a brand new Sonic game). It was once again the wild west of video games, but it took an old Sheriff to lay down the law. Super Mario 64 was revelatory in its control, design, and ushering in a new era of gaming. Impeccable gameplay (with some arguing it's still Mario's highest achievement in control), wondrous imagination, and a joy to see a 2D world turned into a 3D living space to explore, interact with, and become a part of. Super Mario 64 is still the foundation for an abundance of games, and honestly it still stands tall on its own.

7. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, 2013)
Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg

3 years after Galaxy 2, any fan could rightly wonder, "Where do we go from here?" We've sprawled worlds, the third dimension, and went to the center of the universe itself. With the debut of Super Mario 3D world, any fan could rightly wonder, "Is that it?" But with EAD Tokyo behind the helm, I knew the game would be a wonder. 3D World is a back to basics approach to 3D Mario. Gone are the sprawling worlds, and instead, much inspiration is taken from the 2D perspectives. Courses are linear, much more like the obstacle courses of yore than the playgrounds we were used to. But in this honing of the world, in this trimming of the fat, in this return to "What makes Mario, Mario?", we found out that Mario is simply Joy. In giving the developers more control with the layout and design, their mastery shown forth. Each level offers a new idea to play with, and by the time the thrill is winding down, you've reached the flagpoll. Playing with three other friends was a blast (as chaotic as was, incredible memories were made) and once again the team showed how much more they had to show us.

8. Banjo-Kazooie (N64, 1998)
Banjo_Kazooie_Cover.png

Exploration was a concept that most benefited in the jump from 2D to 3D. To move in an open, 3D world, not simply tall and wide but deep... that was something that both developers and players relished in this new 3D world. And Banjo-Kazooie was all about exploration. These massive, open playground worlds, as varied as they were inviting. The bear and bird duo used their ever growing arsenal of abilities to traverse these worlds. And the goals were as open as the levels themselves, a player able to pick and choose what goal they wanted to tackle and use the tools available to achieve it. Banjo-Kazooie was also dripping with absolute charm and wonder, the heroes, villains, and everyone in-between topped with character (and don't get me started on that music!). The game has aged, and the IP has been dormant (hooray for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, a dream come true), but the soul of the bear and bird duo live on.

9. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 2017)
1004530223.jpg

If you take a look at my list, you'll see that I'm more of a fan of the Obstacle Course styled Mario Games (Galaxy 1&2, 3D World) than the open playground styled games (64, Sunshine, and Odyssey). Not by much though, and Odyssey is a deeply brilliant game that sits among not simply the best Mario games, but the best games period. Mario has never controlled better, and his world's to explore have never been more choc-filled with content. Everything is incredibly varied, from the challenges, music, and even the art style (seeing normal proportioned people around Mario will never stop being amazingly odd). The incredible designers behind the Mario games are so good at creating effortless variety. By the time you're done with one challenge, something new and shiny has caught your eye... ready for the next nimble adventure. And that one moment... that one celebration of who Mario is and what he means to all of us... that will live in my memories forever. Jump up, Super Star!

10. Disney's Epic Mickey (Wii, 2010)
Epic_Mickey.jpg

Disney's Epic Mickey is easily the most flawed game in this top 10, and maybe even in my top 25. It's game design borrows heavily from the 3D platformers of the 5th generation, seemingly forgetting of the leaps that were made since the new millennium (including functioning cameras). But despite all of its flaws, there is a heart, passion, and love underlying Epic Mickey that really spoke to me as I was playing it. I had the honor to grow up close to Disneyland, and so many memories were born of visiting the Happiest Place on Earth. Warren Spector and his team have poured so much of their own love for everything Disney that every moment is like trip down memory lane. Oh wow, can you just hear that music (James Dooley's work is among the most underrated and underappreciated)? Oh wow, I remember this from _______ (insert any sort of Disney history and lore, and it's there)! Traversing the Wasteland, being an active participant in the vast world of Disney, using paint to both create and destroy... Epic Mickey took me on a path that is unlike anything I had experienced before. It truly is a diamond in the rough, and means so much to someone who's heart is still back in Disneyland.

Honorable Mentions:

11. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Wii U, 2014)
12. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES, 1995)
13. New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U (Wii U, 2012)
14. Rayman Legends (Wii U, 2013)
15. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2009)
16. Banjo-Tooie (N64, 2000)
17. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES, 1995)
18. Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube, 2002)
19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U, 2014)
20. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One, 2015)
21. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis, 1991)
22. Yoshi's Story (N64, 1998)
23. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (GameBoy, 1992)
24. Disney's Aladdin (Genesis, 1993)
25. Earthworm Jim (Genesis, 1994)

Best Upgrades: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Best Storytelling: Disney's Epic Mickey
Best Soundtrack: Super Mario Galaxy
Best Mechanics: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Level Design: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best Art Design: Ori and the Blind Forest
Best Boss Design: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Considerations for choosing the titles: I see Platformers as such games which use a player controlled character to use their movement abilities (running, jumping, etc.) as the main tool in which to navigate the world and solve goals. This is why, despite being a MetroidVania, Ori can be found on this list (as Ori's main toolset is found in his movement) and not Samus or a Belmont (Where their combat skills are the way in which they primarily solve their goals).

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Like with the RPG thread, I'm voting somewhat strategically with the selection and order. Nintendo is a master of platformers but they're going to be so immensely represented for votes that I'm going to leave them and some other mainstream stuff off entirely and focus more on Sega systems and other areas. I'm also leaving out current gen games to focus on classics.

1. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master - The pinnacle of ninja platformers, just an amazing looking, sounding, and controlling game. All the elements come together perfectly.

2. Revenge of Shinobi - This is close to III, a little better for soundtrack and atmosphere but not quite as good for moves variety.

3. Shinobi II: The Silent Fury - An extremely overlooked game in the series. Instead of re-treading the arcade and console Shinobis, this heads into non-linear Mega Man-ish design where you have multiple ninjas with different abilities.

4. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap - This 8-bit masterpiece has gained some new fans in recent years which is nice given how ignored the game (and SMS console itself) were in many countries back then.

5. Another World/Out of this World- Beautiful, surreal, and timeless.

6. Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen) - Later Gen/MD Sonics will probably get more votes but this will always be the most special one to me.

7. Sonic CD - This felt like more of an evolution of Sonic 1's style than 2 did. Its confusing level design may turn off some but it's deliberately exploratory and a joy to play for those wanting that style.

8. Kenseiden - This is pretty obscure for the Resetera crowd but I'm hoping this will get a few votes. Give this non-linear samurai action game a chance.

9. Montezuma's Revenge - 1983-1984 is an underrated era for computer platformers, and this was one of the best ones.

10. Bonk's Adventure - Despite its forgotten status today, this was an epic mascot release at the time, and it's still bursting with personality and playability. The crazy fast turbo spin and more open levels make it more fun to play than its sequels.

I will probably alter the list later.

great list. it's nice to not see a nintendo dominated one lol

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
1. Celeste
Just the best platformer ever made. I was in awe the whole way through, and the game taught me the mechanics masterfully. By the time I finished the last C side, I couldn't believe what I'd just pulled off. This game was hard as nails and yet somehow I managed to get through it all. Just incredible.

2. Ape Escape 3
The perfect collectathon series. This one had some real nice and creative levels to go through, and powerups that spiced up the gameplay wonderfully.

3. Ape Escape
And of course I have to have the original on my list as well. Especially as everyone else is snubbing the series with Nintendo dominated lists.

4. Spyro the Dragon
Played this for the first time via the remake and my god, this game is fantastic. Just a joyous ride with stunning levels and art direction. Spyro feels great to control too.

5. Rayman Origins
The fluidity of how this game controls just puts most of the genre to shame, especially the 2D Mario's releasing at the time. It is just a joy to run and jump and the level design is perfectly crafted to just be a joy to flow through.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
The best Mario game, so of course it's on my list.

7. Hollow Knight
Would be higher as it's one of my favourite games ever, but it's not entirely a platformer, so it gets a lower spot on my list. The exploration and sense of progression is just next level in this game.

8. Super Mario 3D World
A wonderful evolution of 2D Mario gameplay. Just tons of fun obstacle courses to platform through with cute characters and powerups.

9. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
A really great collectathon. The seamless level transitions were great as an early PS2 title. A short game as well so it's fun to boot up and just play through to completion in a weekend.

10. Yoshi's Island
A 2D collectathon! This game was a ton of fun and it's actually incredibly hard to complete fully. But it holds a special place in my heart.

List isn't entirely in order other than Celeste, but I wanted to give extra points to some lesser voted for games, the Mario games didn't the points in top 3 spots! :p
Shout out to Rayman Legends as well, almost as good as Origins but I couldn't justify putting them both in my list.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Perfection. Best Megadrive game from a studio at the height of their powers. Epic length, fun story, best art design in the series, sublime gameplay. Oh, and Hyper Sonic. Three characters and a ton of content.

2. Yoshi's Island
Close second. Best 2D game from Nintendo. Superb mechanics, level design and art design. Charming music and incredible boss design.

3. Metroid Fusion
Despite being more linear than most 2D Metroid games, Metroid Fusion has IMO the best 2D level design of any game PERIOD. The way each sector interconnects near the end of the game with secret passages was mindblowing at the time. The scenario and atmosphere are also top-tier.

3. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Best 3D Platformer ever made. Great graphics/art design, the best controlling analog-stick platformer of all time too. exploring the lush settings in 60fs will never not be an absolute pleasure.

4. Sonic Mania
5. Hollow Knight
6. Super Metroid
7. Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron
8. Aladdin (Megadrive)
8. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

BONUS BADGES

Best Upgrades: Super Metroid - the way you can turn the upgrades on/off is ace, and I love that some of them are optional.

Best Storytelling: Hollow Knight - moody as hell and you have to piece it together. The fact that nothing is spelled out makes it really compelling.

Best Soundtrack: Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Yes, way better than Sonic 2. CHROME GARDGET

Best Mechanics: Yoshi's Island - So many mechanics (many which are level-specific) and they all work together beautifully.

Best Level Design: Metroid Fusion

Best Art Design: Hollow Knight

Best Boss Design: Yoshi's Island - they're not hard but by god are they FUN!

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
As in the top RPG thread, no concrete genre definition has been specified, which is probably a good thing...

...but while genre definitions are naturally somewhat arbitrary (how much platforming is there really in Super Mario 64?), I'm still surprised at the many votes so far for games that, no matter how excellent, I would consider as definitely belonging to other genres (Super Metroid? Portal? The Igavanias?)

Anyway, for my choices, I decided to limit myself to one game per franchise to make sure there's at least a little variety in this list.

Top 10 Platformers (edit: didn't realize they had to be ranked, so I added in numbering)

1.) Celeste

This game sets a new standard for 2D platformers. Each level has a new and compelling mechanic at play, including several of the optional levels (this is the rare game that will continue to teach your character new abilities throughout the super-secret unlockable levels), as well as numerous secret passageways and collectibles. The respawn-on-death style and accessibility options make the game beatable for a complete novice, while also allowing each screen to be tailored to deliver tough (yet ultimately reasonable) challenges. Add to that tight controls, a stellar soundtrack, and a surprisingly moving story about overcoming self-doubt (tying in beautifully with the game's lack of external enemies) and you have one of my favorite games of the generation and all time.

2.) Super Mario 64

This is the Mario slot on my list, I suppose. While tempted to pick SMB3, ultimately Mario 64 is dearer to me for becoming (and remaining, pace Odyssey) the gold standard in fun 3D movement. The momentum and tricks the game permits (intentionally and unintentionally) make simply moving Mario a supreme joy, even before accounting for the varied and fun challenges the various worlds throw at you. The graphics are simple but colorful and effective, the soundtrack iconic, and the implementation of secret courses makes Peach's Castle one of the most interesting hubs to explore in 3D platforming.

3.) Little Samson

This is the first of four NES games on the list, which shouldn't be too surprising: the console launched platformers and the "jump button" to popularity, and no console has probably been so closely associated with a single genre as the NES with platformers (though the Xbox 360/ FPS games would be another close contender). Little Samson is not only the best action-platformer on the console -- it's the best game overall. Highly polished, featuring four characters with different and fun styles of play, and marrying the boss aesthetics of Castlevania with the mechanics and spectacle of Mega Man, Little Samson is an absolute gem of a platformer that any fan of classic NES games should play -- although doing so legally is unfortunately cost-prohibitive.

4.) Metal Storm

The game VVVVVV wishes it could be, Metal Storm is another action-platformed with a highly unusual twist: jumping and pressing up at the same time reverses the level's gravity. The game milks this fascinating mechanic for all it's worth, not only creating unique platforming scenarios, but also incorporating it into regular combat and a series of challenging boss fights. After beating the game once, there's even a "second quest" that raises the difficulty even more, turning the most minor enemies into deadly opponents. While leaping form platform to platform per se isn't the main focus of the game, Metal Storm, like Bionic Commando before it, shows that a great platformer doesn't necessarily need jumping to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

5.) Castlevania III

While Little Samson is my favorite NES game, Castlevania III is the game that made Little Samson possible: the latter game's four-character roster and alternate paths must derive form here. But while Little Samson is more of a freewheeling platformer, oldschool Castlevania is far more deliberate to the point of being stiff, and Castlevania III is the height of that famous formula. Some of the series' most grueling platform segments are here, most infamously a section of the catacombs where blacks continuously rain down from above to form a haphazard staircase to the next area. This difficulty is more than offset, however, by the aforementioned multiple paths and characters, as well as the game's wonderful presentation (especially the augmented Famicom version's music).

For a modern take on this style, the less-heralded Bloodstained game, Curse of the Moon, is also excellent and highly recommended.

6.) Ninja Gaiden

While the modern Ninja Gaiden series redefined the pure action genre, the original NES trilogy helped define the action-platformer. While equipped with a absurdly powerful sword and numerous other weapons, the player quickly learns that the most valuable means of overcoming enemies is by jumping through levels as quickly as possible, only stopping to slice when absolutely necessary. The game's infamously punishing enemy respawn rate encourages this progress-at-any-costs play style, since the slightest step backwards is enough to halt the player's momentum and bring dangerous enemies back on the screen. Despite its reputation as an absurdly difficult game, the original Ninja Gaiden is very fair, largely punishing the player for slow reflexes rather than a lack of rote memorization. The speed and relentlessness of the action make for a game that is uniquely exhilarating to play and replay.

7.) Braid

Braid is a too-clever-by-half deconstruction of 2D Mario and the platformer genre. But while its prose may be pretentious, its puzzles are excellent, cleverly based around the manipulation of time, which itself ties back into neatly the plot, such as it is. Even the bad writing may be justified as a reflection of the protagonist's self-centered arrogance, although the full scope of this character will only be uncovered through careful (and, in a couple of cases, annoyingly obtuse or slow) exploration of the game's numerous secrets. While Braid is hardly a perfect game, it represents a direction for the genre that has yet to be fully explored, and remains intriguing to this day.

8.) Sonic 2

I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic. Generally, all the 2D games have issues (not to speak of the generally lackluster 3D entries). Sonic 1 is surprisingly stop-and-go given its reputation; 3&K are bloated, inconsistent, and totally co-dependent; CD is obtuse and ugly; and Mania is half a rehash of classic Sonic and half a lackluster imitation of the lesser elements of 3/K/CD design. Sonic 2, however, manages to harness the series' trademark speed for a series of courses that are both quick to run through yet also devious to master, comfortably allowing for varied approaches and styles of play. As before, the Chaos Emeralds add another (optional) layer of complexity, and this time are tied to a super-cool transformation. The levels are all winners and each feature memorable and fair gimmicks (particularly the Casino Zone, which would understandably become a series mainstay). The soundtrack is just as varied, punchy, and memorable as the levels. All in all, this is one of my favorite Genesis games and the one to which I probably return the most for a quick run-through.

9.) Mega Man 9

What would a platformer list be without Mega Man? Of all the games in the series, 3 is my favorite, but I think 9 best represents the essence of the series: pure jumping and shooting over difficult terrain. It helps that all the stages and bosses are fun, and that the Robot Masters' weapons are universally useful for once. My biggest disappointment with this game is that the collector NES cartridge they shipped some copies of the game in wasn't an actual ROM cartridge I could plug into the old console, but that would be asking for too much.

10.) Sly Cooper and the Thievious Racoonus

The first game and black sheep in a generally mediocre and misguided franchise, Sly Cooper is an excellent 3D stealth platformer. The game wonderfully evokes the feeling of pulling off acrobatic heists by having its hero leap through laser-trapped corridors and dash along shadowy rooftops, while also featuring a still-appealing cel-shaded style and an enjoyable if uninventive narrative. The game demands precision, since Sly is normally killed in one hit, and this encourages the player to clear levels quickly and efficiently, an aspect brilliantly brought to bear in each level's time trial. Like most other good collectathons, Sly Cooper integrates its optional items into largely linear level design, allowing for exploration without overwhelming the player. In an especially cool feature, each level features a locked safe (fitting the game's theme) that, upon collecting enough of these optional items, will reward the player with new techniques to play around with. While many of these techniques are more fun than practical, and serve to dilute the platforming, I suspect few players would complain about their inclusion, considering the fun exploration needed to unlock them in the first place. But the biggest pity about Sly Cooper isn't anything about the game itself, but rather the complete failure to follow up on its tight, fluid obstacle course gameplay in the bloated hub-world sequels.

Last edited:

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
10. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
I had this in my list too but removed it because I don't think there is enough actual platforming. But I am glad you have it in your list. It's an incredibly enjoyable game to play and most people don't get it because they don't realize that it's really a combat focused game. And it's not that hard, I actually find it easier than some of the 3D Zelda games.

One of the best things about this game is the atmosphere.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
1. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Absolutely incredible in all aspects. Fantastic level design, great art style, top notch soundtrack. DKC2 is the best 2D platformer ever made, it's not even a contest.

2. Adventure Island
One of the earliest and yet best platformers. It's so chock full of secrets that I swear I find a new one on every play through. I wish that the series had caught on more, I'd love a modern remake of the game with a well-done artstyle (the PS2 one was rubbish)

3. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
Bold and new. SML2 was a unique take on Mario that still feels fresh today, If there's to be another 2D Mario, I hope it is in Sarasaland and takes from SML, rather than yet another Mushroom Kingdom game.

4. Super Mario Galaxy
Breathtaking. Starting Super Mario Galaxy and wandering aimlessly around its beautiful planets is one of my fondest gaming memories. Still has the best Mario soundtrack by far.

5. Little Nightmares
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Donkey Kong Country
9. de Blob
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Best Upgrades: Donkey Kong Country 2 (the animal buddies keep it simple, but great)
Best Storytelling: Little Nightmares
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country 2
Best Mechanics: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Level Design: Donkey Kong Country 2
Best Art Design: Super Mario Galaxy
Best Boss Design: Super Mario Galaxy

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
1. Dustforce
An absolute masterpiece in mechanics in a platformer, nothing has come close to it for me in 2D platformers since then. Great variety of difficulties, varied gameplay and a LOT of content be it player-made or not.

2. Hollow Knight
Hollow Knight has hold the throne for Metroidvania games for a while in my eyes, amazing settings with stunning design. Great Bosses and challenging gameplay at every corner that seeks its equal.

3. The End is Nigh
This one is special to me, I keep hearing people talking about Super Meatboy years later but this one is rarely mentioned at all. This is an incredible precision platformer, very tight controls, super hard levels, interesting and challening level design.

4. Celeste
Just a beautiful game and journey, the story and motifs of the game are important and are for a lot of people the biggest thing to take away for the game. Nonetheless is Celeste not just a good story, it is also in the masterclass of platformers, tight mechanics, fast paced gameplay that can challenge even the most passionate platformer players.

5. Wings of Vi
If you are looking for punishment, Wings of Vi is exactly what you are looking for. Hard platforming sections followed by soulcrushing bosses go hand in hand. Lots of Mechanics to learn and nothing for people looking for the easy way out. Don't play this if you can't deal with dying over and over. But if you can rise to the challenge, the feeling of elation this game can evoke will make it worth your time.

Best: Upgrades - Hollow Knight
Best Storytelling - Celeste
Best Soundtrack - Dustforce
Best Mechanics - Dustforce
Best Level Design - Dustforce
Best Art Design - Hollow Knight
Best Boss Design - Hollow Knight

Oct 26, 2017
I'm keeping Metroidvanias off this list or it would be just those. I generally consider them action adventures.

1. Bubble Bobble
One of the purest forms of fun two people can have together.

2. Mega Man 2
It has been iterated on for 30 years without really improving it.

3. Super Mario Bros 3
The most complete vision of classic Mario.

4. Super Mario World
A little more refined than 3 but also not quite as groundbreaking.

5. Super Castlevania IV
Perfect mix of epic graphics, music and gameplay.

6. Turrican II
A good example how art could turn a solid game into an unforgettable one.

7. Super Mario Odyssey
Completely fun in every way.

8. N+
Platforming refined to its most basic components.

9. Mega Man: Powered Up
Taking a classic game and making it even better.

10. Little Big Planet 2
Completely packed with imagination and creativity.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding it difficult deciding whether some titles I originally had in mind should qualify for my list after reading the discussion between monali and McScroggz.

If the goal, as stated by the OP, is to provide recommendations of "essential" platformers for new players, I think it'd be worth at least having a more defined set of criteria than what is currently prescribed. If I were someone really itching to play a platformer and someone recommended me Uncharted, for example, I imagine I'd be quite disappointed while playing despite it actually being a good game. It's like ordering a cheeseburger and receiving a tuna melt or something, haha. Sure, it might still taste good and has elements of a cheeseburger (protein between bread with cheese), it really isn't in the spirit of what the customer was probably asking for, to be honest.

That's how I feel about some of these suggestions like Uncharted, Portal, and even Super Metroid to an extent. They're all great games, and maybe it's worth starting an essential list for those genres as well (I know I'd really like to see one for Metroidvanias), but those titles don't really seem to fit here given the thread's original intent, IMO. I get the sense some people just want to recommend their favorite game without really considering what the person on the other side is actually asking for. And I can't really blame them either as I can get pretty passionate about my favorites as well.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm finding it difficult deciding whether some titles I originally had in mind should qualify for my list after reading the discussion between monali and McScroggz.

If the goal, as stated by the OP, is to provide recommendations of "essential" platformers for new players, I think it'd be worth at least having a more defined set of criteria than what is currently prescribed. If I were someone really itching to play a platformer and someone recommended me Uncharted, for example, I imagine I'd be quite disappointed while playing despite it actually being a good game. It's like ordering a cheeseburger and receiving a tuna melt or something, haha. Sure, it might still taste good and has elements of a cheeseburger (protein between bread with cheese), it really isn't in the spirit of what the customer was probably asking for, to be honest.

That's how I feel about some of these suggestions like Uncharted, Portal, and even Super Metroid to an extent. They're all great games, and maybe it's worth starting an essential list for those genres as well (I know I'd really like to see one for Metroidvanias), but those titles don't really seem to fit here given the thread's original intent, IMO. I get the sense some people just want to recommend their favorite game without really considering what the person on the other side is actually asking for. And I can't really blame them either as I can get pretty passionate about my favorites as well.

Consider the list holistically. If the criteria is narrowed, assuming such a thing was even possible, the list would comprise primarily of traditional Nintendo platformers and indie or smaller games that are similar in their approach. Now that is the basis of what platformers can offer, but it's not the only thing. Indeed even just shifting the definition slightly to include endless runners opens up the gameplay experiences a lot while still being a skill based, mechanically driven game that focused on traversal.

Even with the broad definition the "pure" platforms are still going to do very well. So the question then becomes should we have a list of only those experiences despite all of the other ways platforming challenges can be implemented in interesting and fun ways?

Take a couple of my nominations, Fez and Shadow of the Colossus. Those games unquestionably focus on traversal as the means of overcoming the games obstacles. Both are puzzle games, although Shadow of the Colossus is a unique sort of action game as well. With a narrow definition games that are as purely mechanically driven as basically any Nintendo platformer with less combat (depending on how you view the Colossi "fights") than Mario games wouldn't count because they don't offer the specific platforming gameplay that the Mario games do.

Not only that, with the understanding that Nintendo will do very well and most people will have played the biggest Nintendo platformers or sequels/prequels that are like them, would a list be more helpful in broadening a players perspective on what a platformer can be or would it be more helpful to restrict it to the same types of games? I would argue the former. But it's an open ended question where the majority decides.

And yes there are games that stretch the definition of platforming. Those games will likely be ranked pretty low, if at all. And if Uncharted 4 sneaks in at like 96th I think that's cool. It's a game where you run and jump and climb and swing from ropes all while being able to engage in combat while doing all of those. So do I consider it a platformer? No. But does it show just how much can be done with platforming as a core part of your game in almost any genre? Yes. That's what I'm hoping to celebrate.

Oct 25, 2017
México
#1 Super Mario 3D World

I find it highly unfortunate that the best Mario game ever created was missed by many or at least misjudged and passed over due to the Wii U's failure. I realize that starting discussions about Mario game rankings (or any game) is highly subjective, but I'm only hoping to draw more people to this amazing game that may have given it a miss so far.

I can't remember a time that I played a game through that continuously gave me this much joy and then added surprise after surprise with more and more content and challenges. I want to note that I played this game BEFORE & AFTER Odyssey. In fact, I beat Odyssey (with 900 moons). I have been recently playing both games with my 4 years old daughter.

Anyways here are my reasons:

The game still looks absolutely stunning. It has a way better image quality than Mario Odyssey. Smooth framerate at 60fps with not a single blurry texture. Very colorful.

Incredible level design and difficulty balance which gets progressively harder at almost the perfect level. Mario Odyssey is just too easy. It just feels like roaming around and getting moons (90% are very easy) and it gives no sense of completion or challenge to me like Galaxy and 3D World. And level after level, they always introduce new mechanics or new elements to each stage.

Ongoing content that just keeps going, opening up surprise worlds that feel fresh, fun and really add tons of value. Unlike Odyssey where the main game feels like 4-5 hours long...This game continues and feels fresh all the way until the final Bowser fight...then keeps going and going with surprises.

Real innovation that integrates amazingly creative new game elements, like the Toad levels, stamp collection, getting the "top" of the flag on all levels. These all feel like real challenges and you actually want to collect EVERYTHING. (Edit: I'm not saying getting the top of the flag is a "challenge", but it's something that's inherently "Mario". It's cool that they turned it into an objective in each level rather than just extra points.)

You can play this game in single player only and you'd almost forget that you can also play multiplayer. Some may disagree, but I'm willing to bet you jumped right into this thinking it's a multiplayer game and didn't really give single player a chance on its own. Playing in multiplayer makes it feel like a totally different game. It's like two games in one. Try it single player only and beat it that way, then go back with multiplayer. You'll see what I mean.

Integrates all of the best "true" Mario elements into one. Maps opening up worlds like Super Mario World (SNES), playable characters with different attributes like Super Mario Bros 2 (NES), random roaming enemy challenges on the way like Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), all with a very Super Mario Galaxy feel and amazing creativity.

Great audio tracks. Odyssey has loads of forgettable music, while this game gets stuck in your head. My girlfriend and I literally had many of the background tunes in our heads daily after playing this. Love the "circus" Bowser level music.

The cat suit is really fun and a welcome addition (the Tanooki suit is the only forgettable one) and makes finding all stars fun. However, the real creativity is in the bullet block head, light block head (later boo levels), coin block head and more (like NSMB but I think executed very well here). Seriously, there is amazing creativity here in using so many game elements to add value to already great level design, I don't even know where to start. It's like the Mario Galaxy team brought all their best ideas together and put them into one game. There are time rush levels, speed levels...it's the perfect amount of pacing and change to keep it interesting all the time. Odyssey has less of that innovation and feels the same the whole way through, except for maybe changing and collecting outfits, planting seeds, some races and a few others.

Perfect integration of real classic Mario enemies. They're all here, from spiky turtles, to mini Goombas. What really stands out though are the little touches. Like Goombas relaxing and sunbathing in tropical levels. Look for the little touches that make this world come alive. It's so much fun because it makes you smile all the time.

I could go on and on, but I just wanted to get this out there. I still think Odyssey is a good game , but I prefer the map style of Galaxy and 3D World where I get a sense of accomplishment from beating a level and then moving to a different one rather than roaming through one massive area with WAY too easy moons. Odyssey for me is the least "Mario" title so far and while that may be refreshing for some, I think it was highly overrated because many people skipped the Wii U and hadn't had their Mario fix for a long time. It made people get too excited and more reviewers were "wearing rose colored glasses" as the saying goes when they played it. Honestly, I implore you. Go find a cheap used Wii U and play Super Mario 3D World. Don't miss the best Mario game ever made. Note: Galaxy 2 is extremely close for a score for me. They're almost neck and neck...but I'd give 3D World the slight edge.

#2 Super Mario Galaxy 1
#3 Super Mario Galaxy 2
#4 Mario 64
#5 Yoshi's Island
#6 Donkey Kong Country 2
#7 Bit.Trip Runner2
#8 VVVVVV
#9 Super Meat Boy
#10 Celeste

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like with the RPG thread, in my eyes if enough people in good faith vote for something to the point where it makes it on the list, then that sort of self-reflexively justifies its classification as a platformer because it indicates that a not insubstantial number of people consider it as such for whatever reason. Yea that assessment can run counter to your own (e.g. I don't think BotW should've been on the RPG list) but if you boil that complaint down it basically becomes the classic "that game is overrated" mentality except in a different context.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Just like with the RPG thread, in my eyes if enough people in good faith vote for something to the point where it makes it on the list, then that sort of self-reflexively justifies its classification as a platformer because it indicates that a not insubstantial number of people consider it as such for whatever reason. Yea that assessment can run counter to your own (e.g. I don't think BotW should've been on the RPG list) but if you boil that complaint down it basically becomes the classic "that game is overrated" mentality except in a different context.

As soon as the next RPG vote is announced I am going to type of a dang dissertation on why Zelda shouldn't receive votes!

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed. I think it also highlights a game others might not of played yet. I love Yakuza 0, easily top 5 game all time for me. I didn't consider it an RPG when I voted, but its also great that enough people did so when someone references that list for possible games to play next it has visibility (Granted its a little more popular now but that list was done in 2018). You can scroll through, see a game, google it to see what its about and if that interest you then fantastic. If not then they can move on to the next one.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
And yes there are games that stretch the definition of platforming. Those games will likely be ranked pretty low, if at all. And if Uncharted 4 sneaks in at like 96th I think that's cool. It's a game where you run and jump and climb and swing from ropes all while being able to engage in combat while doing all of those. So do I consider it a platformer? No. But does it show just how much can be done with platforming as a core part of your game in almost any genre? Yes. That's what I'm hoping to celebrate.
Yeah, fair point...the wisdom of the crowds effect will likely suppress any entries that aren't necessarily in the spirit the genre anyway. I kinda look at these Essentials lists as a public service for those looking to try new games in a genre they might not be very familiar with. So I feel like the intent is more to identify games that are largely representative of the genre in more than just a fringe way. That's why I figured some loose framework beyond "if you think it is, it is" criteria would help. Just my thought! I think in practice it will work out perfectly fine as is anyway given the reasons both of you have already stated.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Casting my vote for best soundtrack is a real struggle. Music is the defining quality for a lot of these platformers.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Casting my vote for best soundtrack is a real struggle. Music is the defining quality for a lot of these platformers.
I honestly struggled on that one the most. Celeste and Tropical Freeze both have just stellar OSTs, and of course Mario and Sonic are both legendary for a reason.
Are there any rhythm platformers out there?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Conker's Bad Fur Day
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Spyro the Dragon
6. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Super Mario 64
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a rhythm platformer in a strict sense of the word, but there's Donkey Kong Jungle Beat which is insanely overlooked given how fun it is and that it's a console entry in a well-known platformer franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a rhythm platformer in a strict sense of the word, but there's Donkey Kong Jungle Beat which is insanely overlooked given how fun it is and that it's a console entry in a well-known platformer franchise.

I personally think it's the second-best game on the console after Melee. It's fantastic. I wish that I had room to list it on my list.

Boss fights are a bit repetitive, but everything else is a joy.

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
Not many votes in here for game with unconventional controls -- no mentions of Dandara or Kirby Canvas Curse yet.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
If I were someone really itching to play a platformer and someone recommended me Uncharted, for example, I imagine I'd be quite disappointed while playing despite it actually being a good game.
While this is a fair point, I think it's worth considering that 101 games will be recommended here, rather than just one. In this case I think there's value in acknowledging the full scope of what a platformer can be, for variety's sake if nothing else.

That said, there's really no right or wrong way to do this, and nothing stopping anyone creating their own similar thread with the genre defined however they'd like.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

I always forget about this game because I've never played it, just heard about it. I guess you could call it a rhythm platformer, with the rhythm being kind of a gray area?

Sound shapes is the closest I can think of. It's a traditional platformer where the collectibles in the level add to the music and makes it go from a simple arrangement to a complex song. I didn't play much of the DLC but I don't remember a lot of rhythm sort of gameplay elements outside of the sound gimmick but I suppose it's like the other side of the coin from Vib Ribbon. I haven't played it by also 140 I think is similar to Sound Shapes.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I honestly struggled on that one the most. Celeste and Tropical Freeze both have just stellar OSTs, and of course Mario and Sonic are both legendary for a reason.
Are there any rhythm platformers out there?
Runner2 on the Wii U or the recently (relatively) released Runner3.

I personally love the Bit.Trip series, and the three Runner games are amazing.

Gabs

Sep 20, 2018
1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Rayman Legends
4. Celeste
5. Spelunky
6. Getting over It with Bennett Foddy
7. Portal 2
8. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
9. Super Mario World
10. Wuppo

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I always forget about this game because I've never played it, just heard about it. I guess you could call it a rhythm platformer, with the rhythm being kind of a gray area?

Sound shapes is the closest I can think of. It's a traditional platformer where the collectibles in the level add to the music and makes it go from a simple arrangement to a complex song. I didn't play much of the DLC but I don't remember a lot of rhythm sort of gameplay elements outside of the sound gimmick but I suppose it's like the other side of the coin from Vib Ribbon. I haven't played it by also 140 I think is similar to Sound Shapes.

We need more rhythm platformers, and interesting rhythm games in general.

140 is atmospherically rhythmic, with platforms and hazards moving to the beat, often asynchronously. It has a groove that you can just get lost in. It's so simple, yet so sublime, which is why it ranks in my Top 10.

Sound Shapes sits not far outside my Top 10. It's a little less reliant on rhythmic platforming hazards, but you slowly build the layers of sound by collecting notes. The collaboration between visual artist and musicians was amazing, with the closing Beck levels being the obvious standout. I was really wishing it would have taken off more so that maybe I could get some dream levels from Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

There are also a wide variety of hybridized game that use the rhythm for inspiration when it comes to level design, especially in terms of speed running. Games like the Bit.Trip Runner series are obvious, but being designed on rails really places them closer to Rock Band than a platformer in my opinion. The beetle in Thumper can jump, but that's not a platformer, despite the core design ideas being the same as something like Bit.Trip Runner.However, other games like Velocity 2X and Octahedron take on a very rhythmic quality once you begin to master the mechanics, both of which could easily be considered platformers, and rank near my Top 10, or possibly even in it depending on when you ask me. Songbird Symphony is a charming little casual sidescroller that mixes platforming and rhythm based-boss battles. I don't think there is really any failure state, so there's no real challenge, but just witnessing the quirky world, its characters, and the silly songs is worth the experience.

Outside of that, I haven't rally found any other noteworthy rhythm platformers. I've played plenty of solid to mediocre ones, like Inside My Radio, and Beatbuddy, in my quest to find the next phenomenal one.

I've also got me eyes on the upcoming Squarewave Maker, One Hand Clapping, and Through the Nightmares, which all have rhythm components, as well as plenty of rhythm game in other genres. There are a few shooters toying with the idea of incorporating rhythm.

And tomorrow, Swarm, a really cool looking arcade-y, boss battle, brawler/SHMUP hybrid, releases for free.

I wish there were a well known rhythm platformer bringing in some votes, because it's really a great subgenre, especially if you love music or music theory.

The Runner games are not endless runners. All the levels are designed by Gaijin Games.

You probably meant auto-runner?

Either that, or I meant you have to play it for all of eternity.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México

140 is atmospherically rhythmic, with platforms and hazards moving to the beat, often asynchronously. It has a groove that you can just get lost in. It's so simple, yet so sublime, which is why it ranks in my Top 10.

Sound Shapes sits not far outside my Top 10. It's a little less reliant on rhythmic platforming hazards, but you slowly build the layers of sound by collecting notes. The collaboration between visual artist and musicians was amazing, with the closing Beck levels being the obvious standout. I was really wishing it would have taken off more so that maybe I could get some dream levels from Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

There are also a wide variety of hybridized game that use the rhythm for inspiration when it comes to level design, especially in terms of speed running. The endless runners like the Bit.Trip Runner series are obvious, but other games like Velocity 2X and Octahedron take on a very rhythmic quality once you begin to master the mechanics, both of which could easily be considered platformers, and rank near my Top 10, or possibly even in it depending on when you ask me. Songbird Symphony is a charming little casual sidescroller that mixes platforming and rhythm based-boss battles. I don't think there is really any failure state, so there's no real challenge, but just witnessing the quirky world, its characters, and the silly songs is worth the experience.

Outside of that, I haven't rally found any other noteworthy rhythm platformers. I've played plenty of solid to mediocre ones, Inside My Radio, Beatbuddy, in my quest to find the next phenomenal one.
The Runner games are not endless runners. All the levels are designed by Gaijin Games.

You probably meant auto-runner?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

There are also a wide variety of hybridized game that use the rhythm for inspiration when it comes to level design, especially in terms of speed running. The endless runners like the Bit.Trip Runner series are obvious, but other games like Velocity 2X and Octahedron take on a very rhythmic quality once you begin to master the mechanics, both of which could easily be considered platformers, and rank near my Top 10, or possibly even in it depending on when you ask me. Songbird Symphony is a charming little casual sidescroller that mixes platforming and rhythm based-boss battles. I don't think there is really any failure state, so there's no real challenge, but just witnessing the quirky world, its characters, and the silly songs is worth the experience.

Outside of that, I haven't rally found any other noteworthy rhythm platformers. I've played plenty of solid to mediocre ones, Inside My Radio, Beatbuddy, in my quest to find the next phenomenal one.

I think there is room for some really creative stuff. I can see a more traditional platforming experience that is augmented both by the music as well as alters based on what you do in the level. Think about something like: you have multiple paths through a level and depending on what you choose the music is altered (more upbeat, more somber, more dance, more hip-hop, etc). Beyond that, like Sound Shapes, getting certain collectibles will result in a similar change in the music. And while I don't know how to properly implement it, you might could have your character's movements altered by the music - so maybe during a beat you can do a ground pound that interacts with the level (buttons, secret breakable land), and use that sort of augmented movement/ability in conjunction with the music to make it even more of a rhythm platformer rather than a platformer with music as more of an emphasis. Who knows!

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
While this is a fair point, I think it's worth considering that 101 games will be recommended here, rather than just one. In this case I think there's value in acknowledging the full scope of what a platformer can be, for variety's sake if nothing else.

That said, there's really no right or wrong way to do this, and nothing stopping anyone creating their own similar thread with the genre defined however they'd like.
Yup, I'm on board. You guys won me over on this approach.

I also appreciate that some posters (like the following) also define their selection criteria, which helps provide some context behind their list. It's been pretty interesting reading all the different rationales in deciding what qualifies or not.
Considerations for choosing the titles: I see Platformers as such games which use a player controlled character to use their movement abilities (running, jumping, etc.) as the main tool in which to navigate the world and solve goals. This is why, despite being a MetroidVania, Ori can be found on this list (as Ori's main toolset is found in his movement) and not Samus or a Belmont (Where their combat skills are the way in which they primarily solve their goals).

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
And while I don't know how to properly implement it, you might could have your character's movements altered by the music - so maybe during a beat you can do a ground pound that interacts with the level (buttons, secret breakable land), and use that sort of augmented movement/ability in conjunction with the music to make it even more of a rhythm platformer rather than a platformer with music as more of an emphasis. Who knows!

This was kind of the idea with Inside My Radio and Beatbuddy, and there are at least 3 FPS games trying something similar out. Harmonix was working on a multiplayer shooter a few years back, Chroma. The beta just didn't click with me, and eventually they scrapped it. But once somebody figures it out, it could be very cool.