• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I don't know why anyone trusted them in the first place. They didn't have the console, they don't know the actual makeup of the plates, changing the shape without knowing what that does to airflow would be immensely stupid, nothing they were doing would have been fine.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The name "PlateStation 5" (something like that) is what messed them over. There will be others no doubt. I was very close on ordering one.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That company was writing cheques they couldn't cash tbh. The whole thing may as well have been vaporware at this point. They hadn't finalized the material. There wasn't even a guarantee that they could make them to fit, just that they would be testing when they had a PS5. I can't believe people actually gave them money.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
All of this would be avoided if you know, sony did the LOGICAL thing, and announced they will be selling custom plates.

But no, that is tooo out there apparently.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Probably an indication that Sony is going to sell these themselves.

As long as you don't ascribe any PS logos or indications, how exactly can Sony go against the form factor itself though?

Yeah, that was very dumb.

yes, ask mikerowesoft.com when Microsoft took an exception to his domain.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sony can't be losing any money here. They gotta hit you for that $500 console, $70 game, $70 controller, $60 online subscription and the NEW customizable faceplates you can only buy from them for another $50! But don't worry, they're "for the players" /s
Xbox 360 faceplates went for $20 and those were thin slivers of plastic. The PS5 faceplates are huge chunky slabs and you need two. These plates are gonna cost you like $100, lol.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Just wait until someone makes a piece of plastic of the same shape without the Sony and PS logos with no different purpose other than just being a piece of plastic that just happens to coincidentally fit on the PS5...

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
This is dumb as hell? Does this mean things like custom controller casing, 3rd party switch/joycon casing etc will be next?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They grabbed too much attention with that name and advertising before the console was even launched.

After launch, we'll have a lot of people selling custom plates, Sony won't be able to control that.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like the name Platestation 5 is probably one of the things that made them go after it

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
How so? The design of the plates are unique enough that Sony could C&D anyone who tries to profit off of them, especially if Sony decides to sell them themselves.

Just one of those things, if enough people start to produce they aren't going to go for all of them. Much like the knock-off DualShock controllers and other things.

So more "official" things would be off the table such as say Power A faceplates but not someone making them on Etsy or in bulk elsewhere without branding.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
"Before we launched, we did our due diligence and were of the opinion, that because Sony only had pending patents on the faceplates there would be no problem," newly rebranded CustomizeMyPlates told VGC via e-mail.

Brilliant.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So much violence building up to next gen. I'm seriously reconcidering just becoming a recluse and living in a cabin in the woods for 2020/21.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
where did they think they were going by registering platestation5.com ; they should change their trademark/patent advisors....

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is some bullshit from Sony, unless they were putting the PS or Sony logo on these things

It really isn't. I'm dumbfounded by the amount of people who think this is okay.

Several issues:
Sony have patent pending on the aesthetic and functional design.
The website name is too close to the brand name of PlayStation 5.
Sony have no proof or have not licensed this company to create faceplates that will not adversely affect cooling, air flow etc. If a PlayStation 5 were to have a fault with one of these plates on, Sony doesn't want to be liable.
It is Sony's express right to make their own or license companies to make faceplates based on their specification - this company is not licensed and did not ask Sony's specification.

Just because people want something to be okay, doesn't mean that it is. That isn't anti-consumer. Sony are protection their patents and reputation by doing this - that is their right. This company had no right to do what they did. It is that simple.

Personally I liked their designs, but they were always going to end up like this.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone trust them in the first place. Did they even have a PS5?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to end up like all of the aftermarket controller shells for Sony and Microsoft controllers, so I don't even know why they're doing this.

By the end of December, you're going to get a hot green translucent panel offering on eBay for $15+ shipping.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There will probably be some third party ones out of China post-launch that'll make their way to Amazon and eBay and the likes.

Probably also some officially licensed ones from third party vendors.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Very understandable. It was just too obvious. Calling your company 'Platestation5', rushing these things out as fast as possible, getting attention from many gaming outlets... They did it too professional, should have sold these as a 'hobby project' via Ebay or Etsy, they would have been fine probably.

Seemed like the company was founded by a few ambitious graduates, but they were a bit too naive

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised there's still nothing on Aliexpress, considering there are already people selling Dual Sense shells.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they had the plate dimensions anyway. They were promising to ship orders around the PS5 launch which was super sus.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think they were too early into this. Sony wants to be first to sell then 3rd parties can follow later

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It really isn't. I'm dumbfounded by the amount of people who think this is okay.

Several issues:
Sony have patent pending on the aesthetic and functional design.
The website name is too close to the brand name of PlayStation 5.
Sony have no proof or have not licensed this company to create faceplates that will not adversely affect cooling, air flow etc. If a PlayStation 5 were to have a fault with one of these plates on, Sony doesn't want to be liable.
It is Sony's express right to make their own or license companies to make faceplates based on their specification - this company is not licensed and did not ask Sony's specification.

Just because people want something to be okay, doesn't mean that it is. That isn't anti-consumer. Sony are protection their patents and reputation by doing this - that is their right. This company had no right to do what they did. It is that simple.

Personally I liked their designs, but they were always going to end up like this.
Sound about right to me.
There's no way they had the plate dimensions anyway. They were promising to ship orders around the PS5 launch which was super sus.
yeah or even know how the hooks work Etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it different since it's part of the console?
People sell aftermarket housings for phones, too.

o.jpg

And given the new body style for the 12, I expect it to have an even larger variety of colors.