• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I've noticed this happens only with disc based games. For instance, if I put the Rock Band 4 disc into my PlayStation, it'll spin every hour or so no matter what I play.

However, with a 4k BluRay movie in there, it doesn't spin at all, unless I watch it.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Its fucking annoying, how could they let this slip for like 6 weeks? it throws me off everytime the disc drive starts. the drive also starts when installing a game or update, even when its digital...

and the console still tries to install PS4 versions of games when you have a disc in the drive and do a cold boot. everytime it tries to install Sackboy PS4 version despite having the PS5 version installed.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Its fucking annoying, how could they let this slip for like 6 weeks? it throws me off everytime the disc drive starts. the drive also starts when installing a game or update, even when its digital...
It's very clearly not some bug or mistake. It's happened to my review unit since the day I got it. It's doing it on purpose for some reason - it's just that the reason eludes us.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the most notable annoyance for me with the system so far. I was playing nier automata digital and the system kept doing it so I ejected the disk, hopefully a fix is on the way.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's very clearly not some bug or mistake. It's happened to my review unit since the day I got it. It's doing it on purpose for some reason - it's just that the reason eludes us.

Just because they still haven't fixed this doesn't mean "it's very clearly not a bug or mistake", lol.

With that logic the Switch Joy-Con drift is also "very clearly not a bug or mistake".

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Just because they still haven't fixed this doesn't mean "it's very clearly not a bug or mistake", lol.

With that logic the Switch Joy-Con drift is also "very clearly not a bug or mistake".
I personally asked Sony about it before the console was even out and they told me the disc drive was functioning as intended based on the description of the behavior I reported to them.

Your comparison is nonsensical.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
My guess is that this is an intentional security check since it happens with every console. I doubt Sony will change this behavior - and if they do so it will only be for when the game is actually running.
Why would you need to security check every hour? its not like you can eject the disk and keep on playing. Just like on ps4 if you eject the disk you get booted out of the game.

I personally asked Sony about it before the console was even out and they told me the disc drive was functioning as intended based on the description of the behavior I reported to them.

Your comparison is nonsensical.
tbh i dont really have faith in the costomer service with those kinds of detailed questions. Unless you spoke to one of the higher up people in the playstation branch ofc. The customer service is most likely an outsourced call center(not to badmouth them ofc).

It could still be a bug, could be an oversight and that it was there day 1.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
tbh i dont really have faith in the costomer service with those kinds of detailed questions. Unless you spoke to one of the higher up people in the playstation branch ofc. The customer service is most likely an outsourced call center(not to badmouth them ofc).

It could still be a bug, could be an oversight and that it was there day 1.
I didn't talk to customer service, I talked with the PR people responsible for answering any doubts we had while reviewing the PS5 hardware.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I didn't talk to customer service, I talked with the PR people responsible for answering any doubts we had while reviewing the PS5 hardware.

They really should communicate this openly because it would start an uproar.

it simply can´t be that this console starts the disc drive every hour, are they completely mad at SIE? who thought this is a good idea? do they want to introduce artificial disc drive wear and tear?

seriously, the fuck ups with this console are mindblowing...it is an extensive list of things that are wrong, not there or not working as they should and i still can´t understand that people are raving about this system at all.

from build quality over software issues to downright missing things, this is all reeks of early beta level.

Why would you need to security check every hour? its not like you can eject the disk and keep on playing. Just like on ps4 if you eject the disk you get booted out of the game.

this and even if it is an "security check" they should turn this nonsense off asap, they can check whatever they want to check in the background, no need to start the drive.

it is annoying, it takes you out of silent/tense moments in games and i think it is baffling that people are fine with this at all.

between games deleting themselves, crashes galore, disc drive starting up every hour, rest mode issues, external drive problems, games trying to install the PS4 version even if the PS5 version is installed and numerous other issues this whole system is more of a hassle than a pleasure to use.

they really did everything they could to get someone miffed about the whole console.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Well that basically answers my question, no offense to you of course but i doubt PR people have the know how of potential firmware problems.

But thanks for clearing that out.

Have you by any chance talked to other people who reviewed the ps5 that did the same as you (tell the PR person that is)? The sole reason for me to start this topic was to a) know if everyone had this problem and b) make enough noise so sony actually sees this and fixes this bug. Have to say its kinda a massive oversight on the QA part of the OS.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Sooo there is a new firmware update out for ps5, rumor has it it stops the disk spinning every hour. Can someone please check and verify if this is correct?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Sooo there is a new firmware update out for ps5, rumor has it it stops the disk spinning every hour. Can someone please check and verify if this is correct?
Just downloaded it and I'm gonna keep it on while working in the same room. It used to be every hour at least, so if I don't hear it after 2, I'll post it in here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It's being a bit aggressive on the disk checks. I think it'll be sorted out later.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Mine still sounds like an F16 starting up and every hour. Wish they would fix this shit already

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This issue is the thing I dislike the most about the PS5. It makes the noose more noticeable than the PS4 Pro because it's inconsistent. I hate it, and actively play on Series X more because of that.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That's simple, the PS4 never did that nonsense for me so I expect no less from the newer console.
The PS4 didn't have the quick-swap menu and underlying architecture to eventually support multiple suspended games.

Because the PS4 didn't do this doesn't mean that the PS5 doing it is a bug.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The PS4 didn't have the quick-swap menu and underlying architecture to eventually support multiple suspended games.

Because the PS4 didn't do this doesn't mean that the PS5 doing it is a bug.
Did you get a PS5 with a disc changer built in? What?

It has to be a bug or the developers are incompetent (which I don't think). It makes no sense that the PS5 randomly spins up the disk while playing. It's not like the PS5 will miss that I ejected it. I'm pretty confused that someone thinks this can be the desired behavior.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you get a PS5 with a disc changer built in? What?

It has to be a bug or the developers are incompetent (which I don't think). It makes no sense that the PS5 randomly spins up the disk while playing. It's not like the PS5 will miss that I ejected it. I'm pretty confused that someone thinks this can be the desired behavior.
It also spins the drive during Netflix. That there'd be some technical reason for that makes no sense whatsoever

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It also spins the drive during Netflix. That there'd be some technical reason for that makes no sense whatsoever
That too. It did that playing the digital version of Ghost of Tsushima all the time. If they don't fix that I will absolutely buy a digital edition down the line and get rid of the disc PS5 I own.

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Still not fixed for me. Not sure why someone said it was fixed with the update, doesn't seem to be.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how this pushes me to keep discs out of my PS5 and get more digital games. Sony really needs to fix this.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Also might not be so bad if it wasn't loud as fuck. It sounds like my jet engine ps4 when it kicks in

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
I sold my disc PS5 for discless. Can't stand the noise and I don't use disc.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone else having issues with the disc drive causing the side panels to audibly rattle? I've adjusted the panels and it solves the issue for a time, but it comes back after a few days. It's not a serious issue, but can make the unit feel a bit flimsy.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is anyone else having issues with the disc drive causing the side panels to audibly rattle? I've adjusted the panels and it solves the issue for a time, but it comes back after a few days. It's not a serious issue, but definitely makes the unit feel a bit flimsy.
My whole PS5 vibrates from the disc spinning and is loud af in general then

Oct 27, 2017
Must be unfixable or intended at this point. Either way, wtf? Why would you want to sell a console that did this? Imagine being a higher up at Sony and you were gifting this new console you were so proud to have worked on to a family member or business partner, you'd have to provide all sorts of conditions along with it about how it's not actually broken we just made it like that...

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I'll say my disc drive is loud as hell when I first turn on my PS5, and then again sometimes when I load games, even games that are not disk based for some reason.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I had my PS5 in vertical mode and had to put it horizontal because of this. The loud drive sound was horrendous and it did it even if I was playing another game, watching Netflix...

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This happens to me as well. My PS5 is dead silent until every hour or so it shoots up like a PS4 and then it goes back to being silent.