• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Final Fantasy XVI be announced tomorrow?

• Yes, the dream is real!

• LMAO no. C'mon...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I doubt it, but if we do get FFXVI, I expect just a logo at this point, game is not coming out for a long while.

Oct 31, 2017
Obviously everyone speaks for themselves, calm down.
I like sci/fi and modern too, but we haven't had a classical fantasy FF since 9 back in 2000. And with FF7R we're guaranteed to have a FF with sci/fi setting for many years to come so a change in the setting would be welcome for 16.
Shut up Rusty!

I'm sorry I was pissier than usual last night and I feel threatened and defensive when I see so many ppl on here that are basically only fans of older FF's (not saying that's you, but clamoring for a medieval style FF falls in line with what oldies usually say). I apologize. Hopefully if XVI gets revealed today we both love what we see!!

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement sometime this year or next year, just because each new gen seems to start with a new FF announcement.

Shut up Rusty!

I'm sorry I was pissier than usual last night and I feel threatened and defensive when I see so many ppl on here that are basically only fans of older FF's (not saying that's you, but clamoring for a medieval style FF falls in line with what oldies usually say). I apologize. Hopefully if XVI gets revealed today we both love what we see!!
This...is pretty messed up. You should not feel "threatened" because people have different tastes than you.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
This thread sums up ERA as a whole, 2/3 pessimists and 1/3 crazy dreamers. Unfortunately I'm in the former but would love to be proven wrong as the expected horror/sports/shooter games do nothing for me.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
There's no way S-E shows just a logo imo.

And, unless they bring something else (really not expecting anything FF VII Remake related), I don't think Sony would want just that for what is a showcase of their future games. A logo isn't exciting whatsoever as it isn't tangible per se.

Especially since they should have something to show, even if it's just a CG trailer by Visual Works. Unless, of course, it's not the Division 3 project, in which case why announce anything if you can't even show a visual.

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement sometime this year or next year, just because each new gen seems to start with a new FF announcement.

This...is pretty messed up. You should not feel "threatened" because people have different tastes than you.

It's less serious than it sounds but yes I shouldn't take it seriously at all!! It's mostly me overreacting because I've seen so many "oldies" shit on some of the newer entries that I absolutely love that I become insecure about my own opinions sometimes. That's all lol perhaps "threatened" wasn't the right word to use

it's incredibly silly I know

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
A brief history of mainline/major FF announcements in the 2000s:

- IX, X and XI: These three games were famously all announced at the same time at Square's Millennium Event in early 2000. They were released in a relatively timely manner in 2000, 2001 and 2002, respectively.

- XII: This is a bit of an odd one. Sakaguchi had been openly talking about XII being a single-player game led by Matsuno and Ito since at least 2001, and in 2002 they ran a two-page magazine ad for the game featuring Kamikokuryo's Archades key art and introducing some of the developers. The first actual showing for the game was at a dedicated event in late 2003.

- XIII and Versus XIII: Announced at E3 2006 during Sony's press conference, two months after FFXII had released in Japan.

- XIV: Announced at E3 2009, during Sony's press conference, before XIII had released.

- XV: Announced at E3 2013, during Sony's press conference, before XIV2.0 had released.

- VIIR: Announced at E3 2015, during Sony's press conference, before FFXV had released.

I mean, whether or not XVI gets announced today, it's not like the thought of it happening is as outlandish some here make it out to be. It's certainly not too early by any means. I don't think anyone is expecting a major showing for the game, but a small trailer with logo and some characters shouldn't be too unreasonable.
Pretty much. If there was ever a time, it's now.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

Probably already been posted.

There's this:

I don't know how trustworthy XboxEra Podcast is (I've seen it mentioned with regards to rumours and such quite a few times here, so I assume they might be legit).

But, of course, even the most trustworthy outlets and journalists can get wrong or dated information. And considering how fast things change during these times, what was once true might not be true anymore!

In any case, it seems like some people are actually sure that XVI exists and that it shouldn't be that far off (at least in terms of it being announced). Who knows?

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an oldie and proud of it :D But seriously no need to feel threatened, think about it you've had your favourite setting for the last 23 years. FF7 is sci-fi and the most beloved entry of the series. Before FF7, 6 had mechas. FF8 is also sci-fi. FF13 sci-fi/fantasy. FF15 (which I enjoyed) had some random fantasy elements but with its cars, noodles and petrol stations felt more mundane than real life. Now with Remake we got another sci-fi mainline game (which I loved and is my GOTY so far) and we're set to have a few more in the years to come. So it'd be nice to alternate between something more fantasy-leaning in-between the Remake episodes... Just my personal opinion.

Vesves

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just suggested this last night to a friend as an off the wall prediction but now that I think about it, I wouldn't be shocked if they had a little teaser and then the game didn't come out until 2023. This is standard Final Fantasy procedure.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
What is the hype surrounding this unannounced game?
Been out of the loop for FF, are people just excited to want another game?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 hours left until non-believers finally see the truth!!
44su0l.jpg

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Actually I think there's going to be another AAA game announcement from them coming before the FFXVI announcement. Seems like everybody forgot about Luminous' game...
Nah, it's just that the CBU3 game which everyone assumes to be FFXVI is probably further along than Luminous Studios' game, especially since they had to refocus their efforts after Tabata left and the FFXV DLC got cancelled.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's just that the CBU3 game which everyone assumes to be FFXVI is probably further along than Luminous' game, especially since they had to refocus their efforts after Tabata left and the FFXV DLC got cancelled.
Well, Luminous is a rather productive team and I personally think FFXVI is not coming as soon as others believe. But I think both have a good shot at showing up today. The company PR wouldn't let the FFXVI name drop in Yoshida's interview slide away if they weren't building up to an announcement.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
I really want this poll to age badly. Please be there.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what they should announce:

Ff7 Remake part 2 with trailers

FFXV remaster with the season 2 cancelled DLC (True ending)

FFX -3

FF 8 Remake

Your welcome

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Luminous is a rather productive team and I personally think FFXVI is not coming as soon as others believe. But I think both have a good shot at showing up today. The company PR wouldn't let the FFXVI name drop in Yoshida's interview slide away if they weren't building up to an announcement.
Was this when he said he wasn't going to be the director of XVI?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Was this when he said he wasn't going to be the director of XVI?

Yes. The fact that he was even allowed to acknowledge that idea in anyway can also be read as a tacit acknowledgement on SEs part that the game exists. You can reasonably assume from this that they were OK with it because they're going to announce it imminently anyway.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I voted no - but this would probably be the biggest announcement for me if it happens.
I just hope that:
--It's high fantasy or like FF6
--It's no more than 1.5 years away from release when announced
--It does not have FF15 battle system

I am excited for Square regardless. I think we will see something from them today.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Also, he denied being director, not that he or his team weren't on it.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I voted no - but this would probably be the biggest announcement for me if it happens.
I just hope that:
--It's high fantasy or like FF6
--It's no more than 1.5 years away from release when announced
--It does not have FF15 battle system

I am excited for Square regardless. I think we will see something from them today.

The battle system won't be like XV since the XV developers got spun off into a separate subsidiary of SE and they are making a new IP.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Feel more doubtful now that Athia was announced so early. You would think that SE would bunch together their reveals. Or I would think so at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.