• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In what capacity will future installments of Call of Duty be on Playstation?

• None, Microsoft will buy out/pay penalties to remove all instances of CoD on Playstation that they c

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Limited, MS will honor existing contracts. Nothing more.

Votes: 279 22.3%
  • Partial, MS will honor existing contracts and then only release Warzone after obligations are met

Votes: 636 50.8%
  • Mostly, MS will honor all contracts and keep the CoD franchise on Playstation but with

Votes: 128 10.2%
  • Full, MS will honor all contracts and Cod will release on PlayStation day and date at parity.

Votes: 126 10.1%
  • Complete, MS will treat Activision Blizzard as a 3rd party release all Activision Blizzard games on

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • Gamepass, CoD will be the Trojan Horse MS uses to try to get Gamepass on PlayStation

Votes: 48 3.8%

• Total voters

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Obviously the Activision/Blizzard acquisition is going to be a hot topic for a while to come. I am not so much interested in Phil's word salad as I am what the general consensus here in Era land is. So rather than trying to color perspectives with my opinion what do YOU think is going to happen?

I tried to cover as many bases as possible for options but with only 7 options I couldn't hit every possiblity.

Edit: I apologize, Mostly should end with" PlayStation with exclusive content and or perks on Xbox/Gamepass."

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Mainline titles: Once contractual obligations are over, COD on PlayStation is over
Warzone: Once the game jumps to a new iteration or becomes "Warzone 2.0" or whatever, Warzone on PlayStation is over

Warzone is too linked to the mainline titles to have a half-baked version of Warzone on PlayStation forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Warzone for sure. Any existing contracts, yes. After that who knows? I personally think it makes sense to keep CoD multi plat while taking anything else and making it exclusive. In comparison to stuff like Bethesda games they will still make a ton of money from micro transactions, but we will see.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
"We tried to get COD on PS#, but Sony said no to GamePass. It's not our fault. ;) "

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
History shows that they will honor existing contracts and keep ongoing games, like Warzone, on PlayStation. Beyond that, new games will be exclusive unless they work out a new deal with Sony.

OP
OP
Governergrimm

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I myself, think it will be partial. They will honor contracts then only Warzone will show up on PlayStation.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll keep F2P shit on PS since that really won't drive Game Pass numbers. The rest will be exclusive to Game Pass/Xbox.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People are crazy to think Warzone would go exclusive. That's literally throwing money away. COD proper, though? I expect that to only be on Xbox eventually

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly it could depend on how willing Sony is to deal. Not necessarily just money, but maybe MS could try to leverage getting something like Spiderman, which isn't a PS IP anyways, on Xbox for continuing to support PS with CoD. But realistically I'd guess they'll honor existing contracts then it'll be exclusive to PC/Xbox. If the main driver of this deal is growing game pass then you need to lure playstation owners from Sony's ecosystem and you're not going to do that if you continue to release CoD on playstation.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
any games that are due to be released on PS will still be released on it. warzone will stay on PS. but going forward any new CoD games will be exclusive to Xbox/PC unless it's a live service mp game like Warzone. your annual CoD game including MP will be on Xbox/PC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You will never see another "new release" of Call of Duty after the deal closes. Warzone will stick around for a while, but as soon as the next Warzone comes out that will be Xbox exclusive too.

Simply put, do not expect to see any new CoD on PS5 shelves (physical or digital) after the end of next year.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think it will just be Warzone after all existing contracts are completed, although Spencer's tweet gave me the impression that COD may be used as a bargaining chip for something else.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I have been told MS is very pro consumer and bought Activision Blizzard to save us from evil Facebook/Google buying them.

So they will do what is best for gamers everywhere.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
You will never see another "new release" of Call of Duty after the deal closes. Warzone will stick around for a while, but as soon as the next Warzone comes out that will be Xbox exclusive too.

Simply put, do not expect to see any new CoD on PS5 shelves (physical or digital) after the end of next year.
If Sony's marketing deal is until 2025 than we should see 3 more CoDs on PlayStation (assuming they keep yearly games and we include MW2 later this year).

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Just the contracts

no gamepass
No new entries

just warzone + any new gaas type that is the follow up to warzone

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it could depend on how willing Sony is to deal. Not necessarily just money, but maybe MS could try to leverage getting something like Spiderman, which isn't a PS IP anyways, on Xbox for continuing to support PS with CoD.

MS can already do that, they'd just need to license the character from Disney, like Sony did, and have one of their studios make a Spidey game.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
They'll give Warzone the Minecraft treatment. No annual CoD releases on PS5, but Warzone will remain as is cause I'm sure some contractual shit is gonna mess with them ever taking that off of PS.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Warzone 1.0 remains on PlayStation every other COD post contractual obligations will be Xbox/PC including Warzone 2.0.

If Sony's marketing deal is until 2025 than we should see 3 more CoDs on PlayStation (assuming they keep yearly games and we include MW2 later this year).

Where is this 2025 coming from?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
People are crazy to think Warzone would go exclusive. That's literally throwing money away. COD proper, though? I expect that to only be on Xbox eventually
It's not crazy. Are you familiar with Warzone and how inextricably linked it is to the mainline COD titles? Currently, the game has weapons from Modern Warfare, Cold War, and Vanguard. All three titles are available on PlayStation and people can (and do) grind those weapons out in those respective titles. All of the cosmetic bundles are for weapons for these games as well and these bundles are applied to both the standalone games and Warzone.

In the event that Warzone is rebooted, they're not going to continue to jam MORE weapons into it forever. When the reboot happens, all of those bundles and weapon levels and unlocks will be reset and Warzone will begin anew that will start with a fresh weapon pool from the most recent title at that time. It'll use the updated engine as well. So is Xbox really going to ensure that the new engine and new experience works for PS5 and then also not make the new standalone title available? It seems like a lot of effort to provide PlayStation players with a severely limited experience.

OP
OP
Governergrimm

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I think that is a huge blind spot in the conversation. We don't know how long Sony's marketing deal for CoD is. I tried to account for it by being ambiguous with time frames.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
If cod keeps being released on playstation even after all obligations are met I could see Sony dropping the ps plus requirment for online play as a way to entince the COD crowd to stick with playstation.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
If you take Minecraft as an example, I can see Warzine remaining so it can keep being a strong competitor to Apex, PUBG and Fortnite otherwise the player base may just move to one of other titles if anyone in their friend list can't access it anymore. That's my theory anyway. I would be truly shocked if Mainline games were to be on PlayStation once existing contracts are through.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mainline titles: Once contractual obligations are over, COD on PlayStation is over
Warzone: Once the game jumps to a new iteration or becomes "Warzone 2.0" or whatever, Warzone on PlayStation is over

Warzone is too linked to the mainline titles to have a half-baked version of Warzone on PlayStation forever.

This is my current speculation as well. Current iteration of Warzone will probably go on until 2026 or something I'm guessing.

I'm going to guess that Microsoft will keep Treyarch and IW on CoD and switch CoD to releases every 2 years. So MW2 in 2022, Black Ops in 2024, MW Rebooted in 2026.

In 2026 they can transition Warzone 2.0 to current gen consoles only and ultimately have Xbox be the only console with Warzone.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think that is a huge blind spot in the conversation. We don't know how long Sony's marketing deal for CoD is. I tried to account for it by being ambiguous with time frames.
Also a massive blind spot I haven't heard talked about enough, Sony marketing deal 100% has stipulations against putting the games on Game Pass (without being on PS's subscription service first).

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Existing contracts and Warzone. That's it.

edit: I'll also say 'Warzone 2.0' or whatever won't be on PlayStation.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Like it always has. Phil hasn't really been that dodgy about the question so far, like he has in the past with confusing wording.
They spend 70 billion to keep it on a rival platform?

Phil hasn't said anything definite since the deal needs to be approved by regulators.

If he said, "Nope it's coming off PlayStation, bitches!" do you think that would look for the perception of this deal? He needs to be diplomatic.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
They'll give Warzone the Minecraft treatment. No annual CoD releases on PS5, but Warzone will remain as is cause I'm sure some contractual shit is gonna mess with them ever taking that off of PS.
I think this is it. I can't see those single releases being on PlayStation after all current contractual obligations have been met.

Warzone is a live service so I would expect that to continue to be available on all platforms.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Just a number I've heard thrown around, that PlayStation had it for 2014-2019 CoDs and renewed for 2020-2024 CoDs.
I think MS just stopped bidding for it after 2014 the Xbox division was on shoe string budget I wouldn't really think the timeline means anything. I could be wrong though

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Existing contracts and Warzone. That's it.

And I still think if even Warzone releases on current-gen it will be Series exclusive and not on PS5, same as Hellblade, Psychonauts, We Happy Few and others. Activision took toooooo much time to even move when it comes to bringing Warzone to current gen and this deal will change things even more.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
My guesses:

Honour existing contracts, use promise of releasing CoD multiplat for the full gen to get Sony to drop the "not on Game Pass" clause if one such one exists, CoD mainline finishes out the gen, goes full exclusive starting PS6/Series Y gen barring Warzone which goes multiplat in perpetuity.

CoD also switches to biannual releases and Toys for Bob, High Moon, Raven and Beenox go back to reviving old IP across Xbox, Bethesda and ABK. Radical and Vicarious Visions are reformed.

Those are my guesses.

Oct 27, 2017
I've optimistically voted in favour of full releases on PlayStation.

With the goal being to grow GP, I think "free" on Xbox/GP + $70 on PlayStation still does that, and without pissing off huge chunks of the audience you want to bring with you in the future.

I also think Xbox will remain somewhat careful of not scorching the Earth when it comes to consumer and business relationships. Again, perhaps naively, but I do trust that their aim isn't to drive Sony out of the hardware business. On the contrary, I bet MS would be happy for Sony to sell 100+ million PlayStations as long as GamePass was on them. Maybe there's even a point where Microsoft would cede hardware to Sony entirely if GP became profitable enough and the numbers made sense from GP on PS (and other places).

Either way, be it keeping the status quo or GP on PlayStation, I don't think PS5 or PS6 lose out on COD. There's too much mutual interest and too much money on the table. There's deals to be made.

OP
OP
Governergrimm

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
You did account for it you said contractual obligations any Sony deal with Activision would fall under that.

Also a massive blind spot I haven't heard talked about enough, Sony marketing deal 100% has stipulations against putting the games on Game Pass (without being on PS's subscription service first).
These are both reasons I worded as existing contracts. But until I threw it out there for others to see I wasn't sure if there glaring holes in the way I worded it. Thank you both.

Oct 27, 2017
They spend 70 billion to keep it on a rival platform?

Phil hasn't said anything definite since the deal needs to be approved by regulators.

If he said, "Nope it's coming off PlayStation, bitches!" do you think that would look for the perception of this deal? He needs to be diplomatic.

I don't see how they wouldn't win by keeping it on PS.

I'm not sure 70bil in the gamble that everyone will suddenly throw their playstations in the trash to buy xboxes for call of duty makes sense either. That's not what is going to happen in the short term, and is questionable in the long term. I think they're playing a different game with this deal than Bethesda where it was obviously to fold the IP in. This would allow them to essentially farm money and deals from Sony which is probably a better benefit for their market plans- this is a giant expansion deal and I don't think they're looking at it as solely "we're now just going to take our new IP and go home".

Smaller IP though? Yeah, totally exclusive.