• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who believes the armored evolution leak, I'll admit that "Armored Mewtwo" alone being trademarked means nothing. He's the MA of the movie, will clearly take that form in a remake of the First Movie, and the form has existed forever. If they announce any other armored Pokemon though, then it's confirmed.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Soooo... Armored Mewtwo? I got to admit, even though I'm a Gen1 lover, this pandering is getting prettx annoying.
Yeah, it's a great thing from the movie.

I remember seeing it in cinemas as a kid

D1MwYMYXgAAaWCM.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The new Gen8 gimmick is that the trainer can jump into attacks, and you can have all your pokemon cry you back to life with magic tears

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
As somebody who believes the armored evolution leak, I'll admit that "Armored Mewtwo" alone being trademarked means nothing. He's the MA of the movie, will clearly take that form in a remake of the First Movie, and the form has existed forever. If they announce any other armored Pokemon though, then it's confirmed.

What I still don't understand is, I mean, it's all speculation at this point, but the things we have for sure are Sword and Shield and those big soccer-like stadiums. Then we have the armored evolutions rumor, and also the armored Mewtwo from the movie, but I just feel like all of that are opposite themes. Like, Sword and Shield evoke this medieval vibe, which kinda goes along with the armored rumor, but what does it have to do with soccer and stadiums or modern sports or whatever is happening there? Then, the armored Mewtwo, if it's like the one from the movie, that's not a medieval armor, that's something more high-tech, so I don't know, I still can't fit the pieces together.

At this point it seems more likely that Pokémon are getting soccer uniforms rather than armors, because seriously can't see how or why would they pick such two gimmicks to feature in these games. I seriously can't wait to have another trailer that can perhaps clarify more about what's the main theme of this generation, and I say it just for the sole fact of knowing, because I loathe sports, sports videogames, and the medieval, or sci-fi / star wars-esque armors, weapons or similar, and couldn't be less thrilled about any of these things coming to Pokémon lol

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not huge into competitive pokemon, but how did Game Freak manage to make a 'mon with 194 Special Attack and 140 speed irrelevant?

Basically, it boils down to it being a Mega Evolution, thus using up a Mega Evolution slot. AFAIK, in Smogon's Ubers (basically close to a free for all singles format except Mega Rayquaza is banned), it isn't totally hopless, since it has a niche of being a Psychic Terrain sweeper that has Fire Blast and decent bulk, but it competes heavily with Deoxys-Attack and Ultra Necrozma, two mons that don't require Mega Evolution, while Mega Mewtwo X has a big problem with Fairy-types. Besides competition, the Mewtwos also offer almost no defensive capabilities worth talking about since gen 6 (believe it or not, defensive Mewtwo used to be a thing).

Now that's just for a very popular fan format, where Mewtwo still has a niche. In Gamefreak's own formats where they have allowed Mewtwo, the news is much more grim. Mewtwo preforms pretty poorly in Gamefreak's current VGC format. Looking at its usage now... its currently #36 in the Ultra Moon VGC format, which is bad news considering how centralized that format is. In general, Mewtwo struggles with doubles formats because not only does it not have spectactular bulk for a doubles Pokemon, but its got no good multitarget moves to speak of, and its weak to popular things like Incineroar and Lunala (before you mention Shadow Ball, Shadow Shield ensures Lunala will survive that, while Mewtwo sure as hell is not surviving Moongeist Beam lol). When Ultra Cup comes about and allows Megas, I expect people to crowd around Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Mega Rayquaza over the Mega Mewtwos for similar reasons.

Even in a singles format for Uber mons Gamefreak made, for two Special Seasons where you're allowed to use one Uber, Mewtwo was considered a pretty iffy pick, when you could use a much more multipurposed Pokemon such as Ultra Necrozma or Mega Rayquaza instead.

Pretty much the only particularly bright spot for Mewtwo this gen is Let's Go, where its a fucking monster. That sorta illustrates Mewtwo's biggest issue: in a vacuume, its really strong, but even with its mega evos, it just hasn't adapted to its sorunding envoironment enough.

Fresnel rim light, bloom is something different

If they cared about balance, they wouldn't have let the two forms mewtwo already has get outclassed

To temper your usual pessimissim for a bit, when the Mega Mewtwos had their stats found out in XY, people WERE pretty terrified of them for much of XY's competitive life. Because yeah, on paper, their stats are nuts. It was more of a slow realization that raw stats isn't what Mewtwo needed, it needs a new typing and a more suitable ability for its offensive focus. As far as I rememember, Gamefreak balanced gen 6 doing internal tournaments related to Battle Spot Singles and Battle Spot Doubles (there's some interviews on this somewhere I believe, I remember them posting some results of a doubles tournament as an example where Talonflame topped their usage). So yeah, Mewtwo was probably not in the plans for balancing, so like many of us at the start of XY, I bet Gamefreak just assumed giving Mewtwo a raw power increase was good enough.

Interestingly enough, maybe due to VGC 16's boxart Uber focus, I feel that gen 7's boxart legendaries have had some very deliberitlatey focused stat spreads. For example, Solgaleo and Lunala are 1 point slower than Yveltal, one of their biggest and most important checks. Meanwhile, Ultra Necrozma is 1 point slower than Mega Gengar, a MAJOR mega it will face in VGC 19, especially since Mega Gengar gives all Necrozma formes big issues. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak starts balance testing these mons with a doubles focus on mind.

Even the mighty Mega Rayquaza, whose completely busted in 6v6 singles formats we like to make, actually has some strong checks in Gamefreak's format. For example, in Gamefreak's singles Special for Ubers, Mimikyu was such a consistent problem for Mega Rayquaza that Fling Kings Rock Mega Rayquaza became a standard set, which lowered its offensive power quite a bit! As for VGC, while Mega Rayquaza has shown itself to be a powerful enough mon to muscle through similar issues Mewtwo has faced, I'd argue the main reason it works out is because its an incredible partner for Primal Kyogre to get rid of Desolate Land, so it can snipe Primal Groudon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Pokemon has always been a blood sport ;)
Honestly though, the sports filler episodes in the anime are some of the most entertaining to the point where they could/should make spinoffs

well you can bet the follow up to Ash's "adventures" in Alola is gonna be his journey after joining the soccer (or whatever they call this Pokémon sport) team of Galar.

**spoiler** he doesn't win the tournament O: **spoiler**

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
If Armored is really a thing i wonder what they are gonna do to make it different from Megas.

I think it'd be a cool idea to make them straight out forme changes that are done outside of battle. I like Megas a lot, but a lot of folks want Megas to only be "lets make this mon stronger". It does that, but you REALLY have to commit to Mega Evolutions since you can only have one per team. So some mons like Mega Absol that have fine stats, DON'T have fine stats for a "Mega Evolution", so they end up being pretty lame.

I imagine Armor would still be a once per team thing, but as long as its counted as something different, it'd give more wiggle room for making more modest buffs and type changes for certain Pokemon. Like I've said before, as much as I don't think Charizard needs another buff considering how hard gen 6 saved its ass: if armored Charizard is just a different forme that you see in team preview, I think it'll be fine competively. You'll know right away it can't mega evolve into 2 other mons, so that reduces the volaitility a bit there.

The new Gen8 gimmick is that the trainer can jump into attacks, and you can have all your pokemon cry you back to life with magic tears

Lol that'd be more than a movie reference: It's been mentioned in interviews that early on in Red and Green's development, the trainers could fight alongside their mons! That'd certainly bring some SMT back to Pokemon :P

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Although I am excited to learn more about this game and all the new additions, I am still bummed by the lack of visible wild pokemon in the environments. Huge step down for me from Let's Go.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a great thing from the movie.

I remember seeing it in cinemas as a kid

D1MwYMYXgAAaWCM.png
The fact that this isnt a costume in Smash will forever be a shame to everyone involved. JUST LOOK AT IT, UGH SO SICK, if this really ends up in the new game Im getting the game day 1 no matter what.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, it boils down to it being a Mega Evolution, thus using up a Mega Evolution slot. AFAIK, in Smogon's Ubers (basically close to a free for all singles format except Mega Rayquaza is banned), it isn't totally hopless, since it has a niche of being a Psychic Terrain sweeper that has Fire Blast and decent bulk, but it competes heavily with Deoxys-Attack and Ultra Necrozma, two mons that don't require Mega Evolution, while Mega Mewtwo X has a big problem with Fairy-types. Besides competition, the Mewtwos also offer almost no defensive capabilities worth talking about since gen 6 (believe it or not, defensive Mewtwo used to be a thing).

Now that's just for a very popular fan format, where Mewtwo still has a niche. In Gamefreak's own formats where they have allowed Mewtwo, the news is much more grim. Mewtwo preforms pretty poorly in Gamefreak's current VGC format. Looking at its usage now... its currently #36 in the Ultra Moon VGC format, which is bad news considering how centralized that format is. In general, Mewtwo struggles with doubles formats because not only does it not have spectactular bulk for a doubles Pokemon, but its got no good multitarget moves to speak of, and its weak to popular things like Incineroar and Lunala (before you mention Shadow Ball, Shadow Shield ensures Lunala will survive that, while Mewtwo sure as hell is not surviving Moongeist Beam lol). When Ultra Cup comes about and allows Megas, I expect people to crowd around Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Mega Rayquaza over the Mega Mewtwos for similar reasons.

Even in a singles format for Uber mons Gamefreak made, for two Special Seasons where you're allowed to use one Uber, Mewtwo was considered a pretty iffy pick, when you could use a much more multipurposed Pokemon such as Ultra Necrozma or Mega Rayquaza instead.

Pretty much the only particularly bright spot for Mewtwo this gen is Let's Go, where its a fucking monster. That sorta illustrates Mewtwo's biggest issue: in a vacuume, its really strong, but even with its mega evos, it just hasn't adapted to its sorunding envoironment enough.

To temper your usual pessimissim for a bit, when the Mega Mewtwos had their stats found out in XY, people WERE pretty terrified of them for much of XY's competitive life. Because yeah, on paper, their stats are nuts. It was more of a slow realization that raw stats isn't what Mewtwo needed, it needs a new typing and a more suitable ability for its offensive focus. As far as I rememember, Gamefreak balanced gen 6 doing internal tournaments related to Battle Spot Singles and Battle Spot Doubles (there's some interviews on this somewhere I believe, I remember them posting some results of a doubles tournament as an example where Talonflame topped their usage). So yeah, Mewtwo was probably not in the plans for balancing, so like many of us at the start of XY, I bet Gamefreak just assumed giving Mewtwo a raw power increase was good enough.

Interestingly enough, maybe due to VGC 16's boxart Uber focus, I feel that gen 7's boxart legendaries have had some very deliberitlatey focused stat spreads. For example, Solgaleo and Lunala are 1 point slower than Yveltal, one of their biggest and most important checks. Meanwhile, Ultra Necrozma is 1 point slower than Mega Gengar, a MAJOR mega it will face in VGC 19, especially since Mega Gengar gives all Necrozma formes big issues. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gamefreak starts balance testing these mons with a doubles focus on mind.

Even the mighty Mega Rayquaza, whose completely busted in 6v6 singles formats we like to make, actually has some strong checks in Gamefreak's format. For example, in Gamefreak's singles Special for Ubers, Mimikyu was such a consistent problem for Mega Rayquaza that Fling Kings Rock Mega Rayquaza became a standard set, which lowered its offensive power quite a bit! As for VGC, while Mega Rayquaza has shown itself to be a powerful enough mon to muscle through similar issues Mewtwo has faced, I'd argue the main reason it works out is because its an incredible partner for Primal Kyogre to get rid of Desolate Land, so it can snipe Primal Groudon.

Me as casual pokemon player reading this.

giphy.gif

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yokai Watch 3 has a ton of issues but the amount of shit each Yokai gets is wild...voiced acting, multiple win poses, an anime portrait, a Medal design, etc. And there's not as many as Pokemon and they tend yo have simpler designs but still...

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yokai Watch 3 has a ton of issues but the amount of shit each Yokai gets is wild...voiced acting, multiple win poses, an anime portrait, a Medal design, etc. And there's not as many as Pokemon and they tend yo have simpler designs but still...

If I'm reading this correct...

https://yokaiwatch.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Yo-kai_by_Medallium_Number_(Yo-kai_Watch_3)

...Yo-Kai Watch has around 700+ Designs? Is that so? I know each one isn't individual (Some of them are slight clothes or colour swaps) but that's still a higher number than I was expecting.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep but they tend to be pretty simplistic too compared to even Pokemon.

The monster designs are pretty great imo, in a different way from Pokemon though.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
How would you guys feel if during the second half of the year, near the game's launch, they announce DLC for the game?

Similar to Xenoblade, Zelda, they announce an Expansion Pass for the game, releasing in 2 main parts. The first one (spring 2020) including a challenge (hard) mode and new battle facilities (battle frontier basically) and the second one being a brand new campaign with new areas in the region to explore (fall 2020). This would essentially replace upper versions and would cost from $20 to $30.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How would you guys feel if during the second half of the year, near the game's launch, they announce DLC for the game?

Similar to Xenoblade, Zelda, they announce an Expansion Pass for the game, releasing in 2 main parts. The first one (spring 2020) including a challenge (hard) mode and new battle facilities (battle frontier basically) and the second one being a brand new campaign with new areas in the region to explore (fall 2020). This would essentially replace upper versions and would cost from $20 to $30.
I'd be ok with it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd prefer if challenge mode was in the base game

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

I would be ok with this, but the sales potential for a 'upper version' is most likely higher than expensive DLC.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really see new regions working as DLC just based on what level do you tailor it around. Start of game level 5? People will steam-roll through unless you force them to drop their entire team and only use new pokemon caught in the DLC Area (Which will just anger people that can't use their favourites?)

After beating the champion? Some players will be overleveled and not find it challenging at all.

After beating champion round 2? Some players will not even reach the DLC being unable to beat round 2.

Only way I see DLC working is if it's a fixed Level 50 battle area like the battle frontier.

And I know even saying "Battle Froniter" and "DLC" in the same sentence is triggering a lot of people.

Would probably expect an Updated version as a seperate $60 release. They still sell around 8 Million Copies. I wouldn't stop that model if you were selling 8 million copies when you can re-use a lot of the assets.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017

New campaign with new areas. Yes. Not paying for a difficulty setting, one of the dumbest things in gaming.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We have had Pokemon Wars in pokemon games already remember.

0970e5bbb82d002f427201a3b3f4b308.jpg

Armour is an anime only thing it appears.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Game Freak can announces a 30$ - 40$ Season Pass right now and I would be excited as long as the Season Pass is taking the place of the 3rd version. Hard Mode, Move Tutors, Battle facilities, new story elements, new areas to explore, and maybe some exclusive item packs. I prefer a Season Pass/Expassions to having to buy a 3rd version.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I definitely want paid expansions. They can still release a packaged edition as the traditional 3rd version for those that want that.

Don't lock difficulty options behind it though, thanks. Hard mode already should have been a series staple at this point.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh Yokai Watch does a pretty good job at giving each Yokai a sense of existing in the world...but once more the majority of then are about the same size and they hide themselves so you don't have many on screen at once but it's still neat. Also you can make any follow you.

I'd really like Pokemon to have equivalent to the "Baffle Boards" where you're tasked to guess which Pokemon you need to bring to a certain spot based on hints and have them use their skills.