• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Seems like MS is ready to take a huge loss per console. Not a good scenario for Sony, they can't swallow costs as easily as MS. I mean, if they were planning to unveil a 499€ PS5, I'm convinced they would have done it already.

ShockedInsidiousFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
On the reals tho, why couldnt there be a Sony version of Brad Sams or the nintendo insiders lol.

A super reliable leaker we can count on

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
At this point i sure some people see faster SSD in PS5 then look at retail prices for SSDs that fast and then say more expensive for PS5.
Which just ignore everything else about the console and how there tech set up .
Custom SSD
Crazy cooling solution
Arrogant Sony
MS infinite warchest

I think that about covers it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not expecting any immediate reaction from Sony after today's news, that's not how businesses operate. They've got their planned schedule and they'll just stick to it. This week is obviously focused on the whole VR thing, my hope is next week is when the PS5 event occurs.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Closest we've had to a Playstation leaker was Demonite back in the old days. Everyone else with legit sources seems to value their jobs more than internet forum kudos.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up, saw the Xbox threads and this thread here moving fast - are there any new leaked developments for a Playstation showing in the near future or are the Dusk Golem rumours still the latest ones?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm not expecting any immediate reaction from Sony after today's news, that's not how businesses operate. They've got their planned schedule and they'll just stick to it. This week is obviously focused on the whole VR thing, my hope is next week is when the PS5 event occurs.

Nothing will change for Sony this week for sure, at most we'll get an event date announcement on friday, but this time Sony hasn't been reacting publicly to Microsoft that much, it was actually the other way around, every time Sony said something concerning Microsoft was there to try to capitalize on that.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just woke up, saw the Xbox threads and this thread here moving fast - are there any new leaked developments for a Playstation showing in the near future or are the Dusk Golem rumours still the latest ones?
Nothing new regarding PlayStation. We're just going into speculation territory with the Xbox leaks.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Days Gone and Gravity Rush 1/2 are 3 games I'm looking forward to playing. The former seems to be a very mixed bag with many either enjoying it or disliking it and the latter seems to have gone by unnoticed by many. I'll probably save Days Gone for when I have a PS5 one day though. Gravity Rush 1/2 I'll most likely get to this fall.

Yeah, Days Gone is interesting for me, because I was initially cool on it, despite enjoying SCE Bend's games in the past. I just wasn't sold on the open world zombie setting. I want to say it was during one of the gameplay demos where I was like, "Okay, this looks pretty cool, I may give it a try after all," then I ended up seeing it for, like, $40 physical copy on Amazon or something, and pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did. There are a few standout things to note about Days Gone in my opinion:

1) It has a pretty slow start. The opening of the game is all about establishing characters, and setting tone. To me, it was no different than Red Dead Redemption's slow as molasses start, but I found myself more intrigued by Day's Gone. On the surface, the narrative is pretty simple and straight forward. That leads me to 2.

2) It's more than just a Son's of Anarchy version of The Last of Us. Deacon is such an unlikable prick at the start of the game, and it's easy to be turned off by his character. Him and Boomer are about what you'd expect from two Biker Gang bros, but over the course of the narrative, there is a clear character arc for Deacon, and even before the credits rolled, he had grown on me significantly. The narrative itself is pretty grand in scope, and covers a lot of territory both character wise, and geographically. I was genuinely into the story once that initial few hours of hand holding were over, and I was able to just explore the world at my own pace. The various paths the story takes were intriguing and compelling, and actually surprised me, which I wasn't expecting from a "generic zombie game."

3) The gameplay is the unsung hero of this game. What I said about The Last of Us meets Sons of Anarchy is actually apt here. Scrounging around for supplies to craft upgrades was definitely reminiscent of TLOU, but in an open world. I really enjoyed that, to be honest. I always felt like I was scraping by in many combat encounters, because resources felt scarce, and whether fighting humans or infected, it felt tense. The gunplay and melee options are also really fun, and add some nice risk/reward and strategy to combat. Later weapons, both melee and ranged, are also incredibly fun and satisfying to use. There was also a nice amount of emergent gameplay when you take into account the wandering hordes of zombies and bandits/factions/wildlife, so the world felt very alive. Taking out hordes of hundreds of zombies is so tense and scary, and I never felt too much like an unstoppable badass, even with a fully kitted out arsenal. I mean, I still felt badass, but not superhero badass lol.

It was also beautiful to traverse. I initially was underwhelmed by the world design, because I thought the location looked too samey to me. After playing Horizon Zero Dawn, I appreciated a world map that had visually distinct areas, to the point where you knew exactly where on the map you were simply because the environment was so artistically different (Ghost of Tsushima is the latest game that does that so remarkably well). I was pleasantly surprised to learn that, yeah, that initial area is massive, leading to the impression that this one locale that looks very similar across its massive landmass, but other areas in the game are very much visually distinct, and easy to get an idea of where on the map you are.

The bike is so much fun to use and drive around, and the controls both on foot and on bike are really smooth and enjoyable. Upgrading your bike with better handling, boost speed, armor, gas tanks, etc, was something I didn't think I'd care that much about, but in a way, your bike is your lifeline, so it became a vitally important aspect of the game, and I found myself liking the process of upgrading my bike and testing out its new functionality.

For me, personally, Days Gone is a sleeper hit. A game that, for most of us, didn't have a lot of high expectations, but managed to surprise me in how enjoyable of an experience it is. I definitely plan on revisiting on PS5 at some point. There were still a few things I didn't finish, but I kind of want to just start a new game, maybe on easy, just to take it all in. I think if you can weather the first 2 or 3 hours of the game, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is.

As for Gravity Rush, it's hands down one of my favorite IPs from PlayStation. Kat is such a lovable and endearing protagonist, and the world design, music, and gameplay is just so much fun, and oozes style. It's like a Studio Ghibli film had a baby with Jean Giraud/Moebius. Gravity Rush 2 is fucking fantastic, and is a better game than the original in every way, which is saying something. I got the physical Remaster of the original from Amazon, and got the physical copy of 2 as well. I have the original on Vita as well, and it was an amazing experience then too. I knew I wanted to have them in my collection permanently, so didn't opt for digital releases (though I think I grabbed GR1 Remaster digital when it was a PS Plus game, because, why not?). I highly, highly recommend them. The first is a little rough, in that the controls weren't as spot on as you'd hope, but I think the sequel addressed those issues, on top of adding new powers and abilities that are just so much fun to use. It's like the jump between inFAMOUS 1 and inFAMOUS 2: the first is a great game, with a lot of potential, then the sequel realizes that potential and gives you some inspired and enjoyable powers, setting, and world building. Definitely play them when you have the chance. The first can be beaten pretty quickly, but the second is a much larger game, and I just love it to pieces.

I didn't mean to write this much, but, clearly, I'm a fan of both Days Gone and Gravity Rush. I was crushed that because GR2 didn't sell that great, we probably won't get a third, but then again, Sony doesn't seem like most studios, and is willing to give a passionate development team another shot at an IP that shows potential and promise. I hope they do the same with Gravity Rush. Just imaging a Gravity Rush 3 on the PS5, with the new bells and whistles of the Dual Sense controller could really be something special. I'll sing Gravity Rush's praises till I'm blue in the face if it meant more people give it a shot.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're all feeling the high of finally having news after so long, but honestly as fantastic as both Xbox's are priced it doesn't change anything for me personally.

There will absolutely be a surge of posts saying things like "maybe Sony are scared to reveal the price now!" or "I can see PS5 being $599, fo realz tho"

But it's fine, just harmless banter.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Analysis : Why does Sony's Operating Profit forecast indicate PS5 will probably cost less than $499 ?

It will be a long read guys ;) Informations before we start : Q1 = April-June / Q2 = July-Sept / Q3 = Oct-Dec / Q4 = Jan-March PS5 = PS5 standard / PS5 DE = PS5 Digital Edition PS4 sold 4.5m units during Q3 FY13 (Oct-Dec) and 3.1m during Q4 FY13 (Jan-March 2014) PS4 BOM according to research...
ArmGunar wrote:
" In conclusion, I think I showed why, in my opinion, Operating Profit forecast from Sony definitely hints to a price at less than $499.
The only explanation for only ¥240bn (2.24B) Profits is because Sony expect some loss with PS5 launch, and the loss will come from Hardware.
A price under $499 would explain why they expect only ¥240bn ($2.24B) Profits and not ¥300bn+ ($2.80B+)"

Thanks for reminding me, I was actually gonna read that when he released it upon us, but then I forgot about it.

I really hope he's right, Sony would be in a very good position again.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Days Gone is interesting for me, because I was initially cool on it, despite enjoying SCE Bend's games in the past. I just wasn't sold on the open world zombie setting. I want to say it was during one of the gameplay demos where I was like, "Okay, this looks pretty cool, I may give it a try after all," then I ended up seeing it for, like, $40 physical copy on Amazon or something, and pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did. There are a few standout things to note about Days Gone in my opinion:

1) It has a pretty slow start. The opening of the game is all about establishing characters, and setting tone. To me, it was no different than Red Dead Redemption's slow as molasses start, but I found myself more intrigued by Day's Gone. On the surface, the narrative is pretty simple and straight forward. That leads me to 2.

2) It's more than just a Son's of Anarchy version of The Last of Us. Deacon is such an unlikable prick at the start of the game, and it's easy to be turned off by his character. Him and Boomer are about what you'd expect from two Biker Gang bros, but over the course of the narrative, there is a clear character arc for Deacon, and even before the credits rolled, he had grown on me significantly. The narrative itself is pretty grand in scope, and covers a lot of territory both character wise, and geographically. I was genuinely into the story once that initial few hours of hand holding were over, and I was able to just explore the world at my own pace. The various paths the story takes were intriguing and compelling, and actually surprised me, which I wasn't expecting from a "generic zombie game."

3) The gameplay is the unsung hero of this game. What I said about The Last of Us meets Sons of Anarchy is actually apt here. Scrounging around for supplies to craft upgrades was definitely reminiscent of TLOU, but in an open world. I really enjoyed that, to be honest. I always felt like I was scraping by in many combat encounters, because resources felt scares, and whether fighting humans or infected, it felt tense. The gunplay and melee options are also really fun, and add some nice risk/reward and strategy to combat. Later weapons, both melee and ranged, are also incredibly fun and satisfying to use. There was also a nice amount of emergent gameplay when you take into account the wandering hordes of zombies and bandits/factions/wildlife, so the world felt very alive. Taking out hordes of hundreds of zombies is so tense and scary, and I never felt too much like an unstoppable badass, even with a fully kitted out arsenal. I mean, I still felt badass, but not superhero badass lol.

It was also beautiful to traverse. I initially was underwhelmed by the world design, because I thought the location looked too samey to me. After playing Horizon Zero Dawn, I appreciated a world map that had visually distinct areas, to the point where you knew exactly where on the map you were simply because the environment was so artistically different (Ghost of Tsushima is the latest game that does that so remarkably well). I was pleasantly surprised to learn that, yeah, that initial area is massive, and other areas in the game are very much visually distinct.

The bike is so much fun to use and drive around, and the controls both on foot and on bike are really smooth and enjoyable. Upgrading your bike with better handling, boost speed, armor, gas tanks, etc, was something I didn't think I'd care that much about, but in a way, your bike is your lifeline, so it became a vitally important aspect of the game.

For me, personally, Days Gone is a sleeper hit. A game that, for most of us, didn't have a lot of high expectations, but managed to surprise me in how enjoyable of an experience it is. I definitely plan on revisiting on PS5 at some point. There were still a few things I didn't finish, but I kind of want to just start a new game, maybe on easy, just to take it all end. I think if you can whether the first 2 or 3 hours of the game, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is.

As for Gravity Rush, it's hands down one of my favorite IPs from PlayStation. Kat is such a lovable and endearing protagonist, and the world design, music, and gameplay is just so much fun, and oozes style. It's like a Studio Ghibli film had a baby with Jean Giraud/Moebius. Gravity Rush 2 is fucking fantastic, and is a better game than the original in every way, which is saying something. I got the physical Remaster of the original from Amazon, and got the physical copy of 2 as well. I knew I wanted to have them in my collection permanently, so didn't opt for digital releases (though I think I grabbed GR1 Remaster digital when it was a PS Plus game, because, why not?). I highly, highly recommend them. The first is a little rough, in that the controls weren't as spot on as you'd hope, but I think the sequel addressed those issues, on top of adding new powers and abilities that are just so much fun to use. It's like the jump between inFAMOUS 1 and inFAMOUS 2: the first is a great game, with a lot of potential, then the sequel realizes that potential and gives you some inspired and enjoyable powers, setting, and world building. Definitely play them when you have the chance. The first can be beaten pretty quickly, but the second is a much larger game, and I just love it to pieces.

I didn't mean to write this much, but, clearly, I'm a fan of both Days Gone and Gravity Rush. I was crushed that because GR2 didn't sell that great, we probably won't get a third, but then again, Sony doesn't seem like most studios, and is willing to give a passionate development team another shot at an IP that shows potential and promise. I hope they do the same with Gravity Rush. Just imaging a Gravity Rush 3 on the PS5, with the new bells and whistles of the Dual Sense controller could really be something special. I'll sing Gravity Rush's praises till I'm blue in the face if it meant more people give it a shot.
Really nice write up about why I love both DG and Gravity Rush.

Days Gone 2 is going to be amazing with the PS5 and DS. I can just imagine the immersion you will get. Here is hoping GR3 does happen as well because the potential for that is even greater if designed for the PS5.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just wake up, these Xbox prices bodes well for my analysis of PS5 prices !

Here we go for $399/$449

$399/$499 is a possibility but I don't think Sony would want to have the same price than Series X, even if it means « only $50 difference » between Series X/PS5 or PS5/PS5 DE

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wake up, these Xbox prices bodes well for my analysis of PS5 prices !

Here we go for $399/$449

$399/$499 is a possibility but I don't think Sony would want to have the same price than Series X, even if it means « only $50 difference » between Series X/PS5 or PS5/PS5 DE
Yep. That's my guess, too. Let's see. Any day now ;)

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Man, Microsoft is so incredibly leaky.

Crazy that Sony could hold their stuff off the internet.

I expect Microsoft to officially announce their stuff this week. Sony next week.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
$599 is ridiculous, ps5 standard will be no more than $499 especially now

Oct 25, 2017

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This OT is moving fast, thought it was still the previous one for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.