• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If people will pay to experience them, why do they all get price cuts within a month and drop to $20 or less within a year?

A small percentage (3-5%) of PS4 owners will run out and buy Sony games day one. Everyone else waits for the inevitable "devaluation." In the long run Sony will work to convert the 95% into subscribers, not worry about the 3% who are willing to pay any price.

But that's where the profit comes from, the small percentage that buys day 1.

And I'm not one of those btw, Death Stranding will be my first $60 purchase this year (and Pokemon with the discount voucher).

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Dear Sony, I live in LATAM. Can you please give me access to this service? In exchange, I give you money.

That's a huge price cut.

Purchase the sub via US account, activate it and then switch back to your own account. You won't get streaming of PS3 titles, but you can download PS2 and PS4 titles...

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If people will pay to experience them, why do they all get price cuts within a month and drop to $20 or less within a year?

A small percentage (3-5%) of PS4 owners will run out and buy Sony games day one. Everyone else waits for the inevitable "devaluation." In the long run Sony will work to convert the 95% into subscribers, not worry about the 3% who are willing to pay any price.

That 3% you cite brings in nearly 3-5 million 60$ boxed sales over the first week of release for a big title. It's a ridiculous amount of revenue.

When your games have this kind of pull, putting it on a service day one for peanuts is a little more than a fanboy's wet dream.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
now just let me dl games to pc and i will sub to it

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good price. I pulled the trigger for this amount when it went on sale at the end of last year and has been worth every penny. Will do it again now that its the standard.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am glad that the conversation around subscription services will be more positive now that Sony is taking theirs more seriously.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The 3 month rotation thing actually need some more details. Saw some people saying that it might be like PS+: The game will leave the service catalog but remains on your account if you continue as a subscriber.

How it works on GamePass when this happens? The game gets straight up locked?
I don't think that'll be the case. When I go to PS4 PSNow games I have downloaded but not played in awhile they sometimes have a little lock on them then when I launch them it says that the product is not licensed or something but the lock goes away and I can launch it the second time. I think it's kinda reactivating the license through PS Now. If the game isn't available on PS Now I imagine the lock will stay.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I want SP only games with big budgets, and they wouldn't do it without profit.

But I think that first party games should be permanent to the service after some time.

I can appreciate that. I'm also not convinced that these types of services would eliminate those games but I can see why someone wouldn't want to introduce the risk of shaking that up.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
But that's where the profit comes from, the small percentage that buys day 1.

And I'm not one of those btw, Death Stranding will be my first $60 purchase this year (and Pokemon with the discount voucher).
That 3% you cite brings in nearly 3-5 million 60$ boxed sales over the first week of release for a big title. It's a ridiculous amount of revenue.

When your games have this kind of pull, putting it on a service day one for peanuts is a little more than a fanboy's wet dream.

As always with this argument, feel free to do the math. Getting 20%, 30%, 40% of the install base to pay you $10 every single month is worth way more than having 3% of the install base give you $60 once. As we know from attach rates, most users do not buy more than one game each year, so getting them to give you $100 is simply more money than you'd otherwise make hoping they drop $60 on your games.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Sony has a very clear vision. It's the same thing that movie theaters are doing tbh. Sure, you could put the movies on Netflix day one. But are those movies any good?

PlayStation games are like The Joker, Ad Astra, a Marvel movie etc. You know, big budget, expensive movies.

Sure, a lot of people are going to wait until on demand or a streaming services to watch those movies, but imagine if a marvel movie was put on a streaming service? Can't have that kind of devaluation for an IP that prestige. Board members would lose their minds.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
As always with this argument, feel free to do the math. Getting 20%, 30%, 40% of the install base to pay you $10 every single month is worth way more than having 3% of the install base give you $60 once. As we know from attach rates, most users do not buy more than one game each year, so getting them to give you $100 is simply more money than you'd otherwise make hoping they drop $60 on your games.

What the hell, it's $10 per month to be shared for ALL THE GAMES IN THE SERVICE against a full $60 for a single game. It seems that you are the one that have to do the math.

Oct 27, 2017

If 3% of the base buys a $60 game on launch day, take $10 for retailer (and with Sony making their own physical game store online they will recoup this $10) thats $50 x 3M sales = $150M

If it's 5%, like Spider Man and TLOU2 likely is, that's $250M. After retailer cut.

it would be absolutely delusional to put those games on Now on launch day. Literally throwing away money.

GTA V is still selling past 100M copies, that's why it's a limited time game on Now. So players get hooked then pay retail for it later. But that's my point, it has retail legs like many PS4 exclusives do too.

Xbox for example, can afford to put launch games in GP because their base is inherently smaller and probably more third party driven than Sony or Nintendo's, since their first party output has taken a beating in recent years.

5% ofXbox One base (let's say 40M) is 2M, where as it's 5M on PS4. Almost triple.

if Xbox One exclusives were selling 5-10M copies at retail in the first 2-3 months, you wouldn't see them on games pass on day one imo

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Does PS Now work like PS+ in that other accounts can use the service as long as the main account is set as the primary?

Yep. The only thing is that in order to download the game to the PS4, you have to log into the account of the PS Now subscriber and then open PS Now and then download.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The previous price was just untenable given everything else you can subscribe to and what prices they offer. Good move but it had to be done. The final piece of the puzzle would be PS5 having fully functioning PS3 emulation and being able to download everything as part of the service. Roll it and PS+ together into one almighty package for a good price and voila.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Where are you getting this 3% number from exactly?

But regardless, with the current system, Sony is trying to do both. Cultivate a large subscriber base with a huge and updating library, while not devaluing their flagship releases by keeping them off the rotation for a year or so. They won't risk kneecapping their revenue stream by offering them day one. It would make no sense.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The price is great. The selection is a bit better, but it's only for a couple months, which is unfortunate. The Sony games should be part of the service always.

I dont think they do. Sony or nintendo putting all their games up like that would be a world apart thanks to the nature of the output.

Every single new Xbox Games Studio game is on GamePass, day one.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has a very clear vision. It's the same thing that movie theaters are doing tbh. Sure, you could put the movies on Netflix day one. But are those movies any good?

PlayStation games are like The Joker, Ad Astra, a Marvel movie etc. You know, big budget, expensive movies.

Sure, a lot of people are going to wait until on demand or a streaming services to watch those movies, but imagine if a marvel movie was put on a streaming service? Can't have that kind of devaluation for an IP that prestige. Board members would lose their minds.
Umm Disney Plus (Streaming service) is giving Marvel Shows the same budget as their movies...

Did Daredevil Netflix devalue the IP? Or I guess you would prefer the Movie with Ben Affleck

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
This was surprising to see this morning.

Credit to Xbox for making this happen, this is why competition is so important.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't good news, it's the same that happened over at Xbox, the Gamepass predates the Xbox Live games, which is why Plus months have been getting progressively worse.

Until there's a Plus ultimate or some sort of combo pack for PS things will only go down hill even more for Plus games.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I have such a backlog there's no point in signing up to this just yet. One day though. If they bundle it with Plus I'll get it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If 3% of the base buys a $60 game on launch day, take $10 for retailer (and with Sony making their own physical game store online they will recoup this $10) thats $50 x 3M sales = $150M

If it's 5%, like Spider Man and TLOU2 likely is, that's $250M. After retailer cut.

it would be absolutely delusional to put those games on Now on launch day. Literally throwing away money.

GTA V is still selling past 100M copies, that's why it's a limited time game on Now. So players get hooked then pay retail for it later. But that's my point, it has retail legs like many PS4 exclusives do too.

Xbox for example, can afford to put launch games in GP because their base is inherently smaller and probably more third party driven than Sony or Nintendo's, since their first party output has taken a beating in recent years.

5% ofXbox One base (let's say 40M) is 2M, where as it's 5M on PS4. Almost triple.

if Xbox One exclusives were selling 5-10M copies at retail in the first 2-3 months, you wouldn't see them on games pass on day one imo
Well said, these are business that need to keep the lights on. It's good when they do things that benefit us, but we have to stop acting like they are really worried about us and our pockets. If economist are right and the market overall slows down, $9.99 pice points are going to be very attractive as folks start to hold on to their money.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This is a brilliant move. One of the best decisions Sony has made this entire gen.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The price is great. The selection is a bit better, but it's only for a couple months, which is unfortunate. The Sony games should be part of the service always.

Every single new Xbox Games Studio game is on GamePass, day one.
? Microsoft first party games are on gamespass day 1
Guys, that person is making a point about the perceived quality of first party games.

While I do gravitate more towards the Sony exclusives, I don't think the others are of less quality.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much money either service makes for either company is not my problem. What matters to me is what I am getting for my money.

Unless you own shares in Microsoft or Sony why would you care?

You don't have to have shares in a company to worry or be curious about long term sustainability and how it may or may not affect budgeting, funding or development of future games of the kind many are interested in (eg super expensive and polished single player only titles), especially if or when this sort of thing is more normalised.

At the end of the day, these publishers are not a charity, they're a business, and they're mostly going to greenlight certain projects if there is business sense in it. Some people are concerned that if there's less money for pubs as a result of these services, in future it may lead to fewer games of say a Last of Us 2, Spider-Man or God of War calibre, and that instead there may be more focus on MP, GaaS, microtransactions etc. Worse still if console gaming eventually follows in the footsteps of mobile gaming.

Whilst Microsoft may be eating losses for quick growth in Game Pass subs now, they will likely eventually want to increase revenue or profitability to cover said losses, and that's when we'll get a clearer understanding of how Game Pass may or may not have impacted their output in the long term, and likewise Sony's output if they adopt something similar.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This was surprising to see this morning.

Credit to Xbox for making this happen, this is why competition is so important.
I honestly think this is Google's doing since there is no pricing info for xCloud yet.

It's going to be interesting to see MS unveil the xCloud pricing though, they kind of need to combine it with Game Pass now I think, $9.99 for xCloud alone would be a bad deal.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think what you'll eventually see with Microsoft is smaller games (on the Hellblade scale) released regularly. That fits the profile of many of the studios they've acquired, and will work well in a subscription environment. I don't think you can have God of War, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us: Part II back-to-back-to-back and this be viable. It'd work with stuff like MediEvil and Concrete Genie.

Microsoft's in loss-leader mode, I think it'll be a while before we see the kind of impact this has on game development. We're just going to have to wait and see.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Wait so I can unsub from PS+ and use PS Now instead ? I don't really do multiplayer I mostly have PS+ by habits and for automatic cloud save, I don't really do multiplayer anymore.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I will gladly sub when 1st party appears day 1.
Otherwise it's uninteresting.

That's never going to happen.

You're pulling a number which has no factual basis with reality. That percentage of 3-4% looks tiny but it gives huge amount of profit to Sony.

Spider-Man sold 13.2 million copies as of August 2019. Do you know how many it sold in it's opening week? 3.3 million. That's 25% of the games user base buying the game at its full price. Even if we assume that all copies sold are standard ones (which cost $60) and all sales are physical. With retailer cuts and manufacturing costs we are looking at profit of at least $40 per copy. That's $132m on the table, using the lowest scale. And, that is for just 1 of their big AAA release. For God of War, the initial percentage of PS4 owners 'who run out and buy Sony games day one' even higher. I hope you're smart enough to do the math for rest of the releases.

The idea that they should put their big budget AAA exclusives day one on a subscription based service is nothing but a pipe-dream. They are making bank on selling these at full price.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you feel like ms/nintendo/sony stables are all of equal value, then getting any of them for 10 a month day one is the same thing. If not, then not.
I've zero interest in this console warring bullshit.

Microsoft first party games are on gamepass day 1. That's a fact. I don't care what "value" you see in that.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
holy shit.................they are definitely prepping themselves to compete with game pass. I think they fully change come next gen, they are probably testing the waters with this.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell, it's $10 per month to be shared for ALL THE GAMES IN THE SERVICE against a full $60 for a single game. It seems that you are the one that have to do the math.
No, it's not shared with all the games in the service. Devs get paid for X amount of time or by x amount of downloads...there is no revenue sharing.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Looks like Microsoft might be forced to combine xcloud and gamepass and offer a similar price.