• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4113

Oct 25, 2017
1Q3DmvL.jpg
LOL

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Watched it today. I loved it! Best Pixar film since Inside Out, IMO. This was literally the first film where I had to fight back tears. The characters were very beloved and managed to drive the story well. And being of Mexican heritage, the team managed to show there work on depicting the culture.

As for the Frozen short, it wasn't too bad (the animation is still golden) but it dragged on for too long. My younger sister even grew impatient, especially because she isn't really a fan of Frozen. I even kept looking at her facial expressions, which practically read "get me out of here!"

Last edited:

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed the Frozen not short for what it's worth. Perhaps I simply took my sons perspective for those 21 minutes. I truly thought it was an entertaining little feature.

Oct 25, 2017
People in here legitimately concerned over there being ((two)) animated movies concerning Dia de los Muertos?

Follow up thread idea: have y'all only ever watched one animated movie for any given holiday, and what movie was it?

I loved The Book of Life and can't wait to see Coco. I was wowed by the artistic direction and visuals in TBoL, and same for this movie. Trailer for trailer, they do seem a little similar, but not enough so to only see the one of them. Hype!

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
This movie got a standing ovation from the audience. I didn't care for the Frozen short outside of a few chuckles. Coco itself is beautiful and up there amongst the Pixar greats. Many onions were cut holy hell.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this movie and I definitely have to agree that the marketing for this seemed very much on the back burner for Disney. But, I just saw it today and I really enjoyed it. Even with its minor plot holes I can say that it's definitely worth giving a chance.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Worried it would be too much like Book of Life, but it wasn't, despite having a couple of themes (outside of the holiday itself) in common.

Didn't care for the Frozen short really at all.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from them telegraphing the reveal too aggressively I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and yeah I cried. Wanna fight about it?

Oct 27, 2017
My eyes were soaking wet at the end. Legitimately one of Pixar's best movies imo. So pleasantly surprised.

Since everyone is making the comparison, I liked it better than BoL. My fiancé still likes BoL better. I'm white and she's Mexican so I guess her opinion is more relevant? :|

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Being Hispanic this had me teary eyed throughout. Coco reminded me of my grandma a ton. Weird taking my mom to see it since we don't get along too well. They showed that family stubbornness in the movie so perfectly lol.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Book of Life is good, but Coco is better in least almost every way, especially from a storytelling standpoint (certainly packs a much more emotional punch).

Still dig the puppet like designs for BoL characters, and I especially love the design of La Muerte and Xibalba.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Took my nephew to see this, didn't watch or see any previews prior to seeing this. The Frozen Short was too much for us, don't know what the heck they're we're thinking with that. Even my nephew grew impatient pretty quickly with that. The audience was clearly upset with it as well.

Besides that, the movie was great. Best animated film I've seen in years, I had nearly written Pixar off after being so disappointed with then in the past. The last 20 minutes or so we're especially good, definitely brought a tear to your eye. The lady sitting next to us was in tears. Once the credits started rolling, the audience broke out in applause like good Americans lol....Haven't had that happen any time while at the theater except Lord of the Rings and The Force Awakens, so, it was a pretty big hit here.

Anyone else looking for another great movie out currently, go watch Wonder. It's also a great movie that I wasn't expecting to be as good as it is.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Book of Life is good, but Coco is better in least almost every way, especially from a storytelling standpoint (certainly packs a much more emotional punch).

Still dig the puppet like designs for BoL characters, and I especially love the design of La Muerte and Xibalba.

The Book of Life had a paper thin story, a mediocre villain, and using the kids in the museum as a framing device was unnecessary. Aside from those issues, it's still a entertaining film.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
The film was good, but it went over my soon to be 4 year old daughter's head.

Me: What was your favourite part?
Her: When Coco turned into a skeleton.

KittyClouds

Oct 28, 2017
I know that I am in the vast minority with this, but I honestly enjoyed Olaf's Frozen Adventure. I agree with the general assessment that it was too lengthy for a "short" but I really enjoyed it.
I liked the call back to "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" and thought it was clever.
I thought it aligned well with the theme of Coco which is family traditions and the importance of family. That is my two cents and I can respect that most don't agree.

As for Coco, I went in to this movie not excited at all. I honestly didn't want to see it & did not like the previews for this film. It looked sterotypical Mexican and honestly like a rip off of The Book of Life. How wrong I was. This movie was great. The story was predictable yet still enjoyable, engaging, and emotional. The music was good/great & the representation of Mexican culture and traditions was done tastefully and quite well (in my opinion). It's funny bc I am a Mexican American woman who is 4/5 generation American, and what that means for me personally, is that I don't really resonate with my Mexican culture and don't have many Mexican traditions yet I found myself connecting to this movie. Not to get too cheesy but maybe if there had been more movies like this for me to watch growing up, maybe I would be more interested/ proud of my Mexican culture. Representation is key. I'm glad I went to see it & would recommend to anyone and everyone to see.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Want to add....I had no idea the awesome pixar shorts are being replaced by Disney musicals. I was bored by the olaf guy...

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Coco was a damn delight and beautifully paced, and I cried by the end. It was a little strange that it sorta really came together by the end for me the most; everything was a perfect lead up and no idea stayed too long (well, except maybe cutting a few of the bone-related gags).

High-tier Pixar.

That Frozen thing was terrible and has made the original film fall a few spots because of it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people hating on the Frozen feature because it's Frozen, or because it's too long? Because if it's the former, hating Frozen just because it's Frozen (or because of "Let It Go") got old a month after it released.
I fucking LOVED the Frozen movie AND the first (and much shorter) short Frozen Fever and yet I also hated this new Frozen short. It dragged a lot and it also didn't help it centered on the worst character of the franchise (Olaf).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're going to bring the same voice over to Spain that's used in Latin America. Great. Wouldn't have made any sense watching a film set in Mexico and hearing Spaniard voices. It was the only thing I needed to know. I'll try to convince some friends to watch it.
That's amazing to hear! The Mexican dub was done with much love and in very close collaboration with the production team of the movie. It's very very well done, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie is good despite perfectly following every single basic story beat from every Disney/Pixar movie in the last 10 years. It's a total crowdpleaser and I bet it will have great legs and WoM.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to watch it. Has been disappointed with pixar the last few years. I have 0 expectation.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's something curious about the afterlife population: you don't see a lot of "old" people there. It's interesting and sad as well :(

Héctor is damn good.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like there's more discussion about the Frozen short than Coco in the thread. Personally I took a nap during it so I can't comment on the quality, though I find Olaf annoying in general and 20 minutes is ridiculous for a short.

I really liked Coco for the most part, but one part of the plot kind of makes the whole movie fall apart for me.

I just don't buy that Coco never talked about her father to anyone. Clearly she still loved and missed her dad, I don't buy that she never had his picture reinstated on the family board after her mom died.

It's also extremely hard to believe that she never talked about him. If I understand the rules correctly, the reason that Hector doesn't fade away is due to Coco telling the family that she used to sing with her father after she and Miguel sing "Remember Me" together. If that's all it took to save him, we're to believe that she never confided to anyone that she fondly remembers singing with her father. And "confided" is a dramatic word, I don't see why it needs to be a secret. Obviously Hector's wife hated him and was adamant about the "no music" rule, but clearly Coco would have been the family matriarch for some time, and given how the movie ends it's hard to believe that she would have been as unwavering on the music issue as her mother and daughter. You could argue that it may not have come up if no one in the family before Miguel had any interest in music, but that's also hard to believe given music's apparent role in the culture.

Besides not re-instating her father into the family's board and never uttering a single sentence to anyone in the family about her father, it also seems lame that she never noticed that her father's letters contain the words to the country's most popular songs. Yes, the family avoids music, but in her whole life she never passed a mariachi singing one of his songs and though "What the hell, why is this guy singing lyrics my dad wrote?" For that matter, "Remember Me" is supposed to be his most popular song of all and Coco clearly remembers those lyrics.

It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it did take away a lot of the impact of the ending.

Also, I'm not sure if it's entirely intentional but I hated Miguel's grandmother. She was stupid, stubborn, two-faced, manipulative, she really came across as a villain. The scene where she smashes Miguel's guitar and then wants to appear loving immediately after was cruel. That ended up taking away from my enjoyment too, Miguel basically has an emotionally abusive relationship with his grandmother and everyone is content to stand by and watch it happen until the end where his parents finally decide to let him play. It felt really weird that a movie that promotes family featured this heartless character.

Like I said though, I still liked the movie overall. I hope they finally start releasing movies in 4K BluRay when this comes out on disc because I really want to see it in HDR, the art was awesome. The role music played was great as well, the movie reminded me a lot of Chef, which was centered around food and featured characters passionate about food, but wasn't about food. Similarly Coco isn't a music and isn't really about music, but I love how music and show business and fame still played a role.

Hopefully Pixar gets back on track after this, this is the first movie from them I've seen in years that I enjoyed. Between the Cars sequels, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, and Brave I assumed their best years were behind them, but maybe they can pull a 90's Disney-esque return to glory.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing to hear! The Mexican dub was done with much love and in very close collaboration with the production team of the movie. It's very very well done, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

If there was a movie where I didn't want a local dub, it was this one.

I was worried at first, because the original trailer seemed to use local voices, but I was really happy when I watched the second and heard the LA voices.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Got to the theater 10-15 mins early to get decent seats, then sat through the usual 20 mins of trailers, than that fucking 20 min Frozen short, then a spoiler-ish 5 min Pixar behind the scenes. An entire fucking hour of waiting around for the movie to start... Kind of put me in a bad mood before I even saw a single frame of the film.

Coco was excellent though. The visuals were absolutely incredible, the characters were great, story was really good. One of Pixar's better films.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Got to the theater 10-15 mins early to get decent seats, then sat through the usual 20 mins of trailers, than that fucking 20 min Frozen short, then a spoiler-ish 5 min Pixar behind the scenes. An entire fucking hour of waiting around for the movie to start... Kind of put me in a bad mood before I even saw a single frame of the film.

Coco was excellent though. The visuals were absolutely incredible, the characters were great, story was really good. One of Pixar's better films.

Yeah, the little behind-the-scenes thing was totally unnecessary and ruined the Land of the Dead reveal, I was annoyed by that too.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished.

My mom died 6 years ago, so it makes me really emotional and one particular scenes made me cried.

Love love it and great soundtrack too.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Im hoping when this comes out on Blu Ray, English speakers will watch it with the Mexican dub with English subtitles...it would probably have a greater effect.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Seems like there's more discussion about the Frozen short than Coco in the thread. Personally I took a nap during it so I can't comment on the quality, though I find Olaf annoying in general and 20 minutes is ridiculous for a short.

I really liked Coco for the most part, but one part of the plot kind of makes the whole movie fall apart for me.

I just don't buy that Coco never talked about her father to anyone. Clearly she still loved and missed her dad, I don't buy that she never had his picture reinstated on the family board after her mom died.

It's also extremely hard to believe that she never talked about him. If I understand the rules correctly, the reason that Hector doesn't fade away is due to Coco telling the family that she used to sing with her father after she and Miguel sing "Remember Me" together. If that's all it took to save him, we're to believe that she never confided to anyone that she fondly remembers singing with her father. And "confided" is a dramatic word, I don't see why it needs to be a secret. Obviously Hector's wife hated him and was adamant about the "no music" rule, but clearly Coco would have been the family matriarch for some time, and given how the movie ends it's hard to believe that she would have been as unwavering on the music issue as her mother and daughter. You could argue that it may not have come up if no one in the family before Miguel had any interest in music, but that's also hard to believe given music's apparent role in the culture.

Besides not re-instating her father into the family's board and never uttering a single sentence to anyone in the family about her father, it also seems lame that she never noticed that her father's letters contain the words to the country's most popular songs. Yes, the family avoids music, but in her whole life she never passed a mariachi singing one of his songs and though "What the hell, why is this guy singing lyrics my dad wrote?" For that matter, "Remember Me" is supposed to be his most popular song of all and Coco clearly remembers those lyrics.

It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it did take away a lot of the impact of the ending.

Also, I'm not sure if it's entirely intentional but I hated Miguel's grandmother. She was stupid, stubborn, two-faced, manipulative, she really came across as a villain. The scene where she smashes Miguel's guitar and then wants to appear loving immediately after was cruel. That ended up taking away from my enjoyment too, Miguel basically has an emotionally abusive relationship with his grandmother and everyone is content to stand by and watch it happen until the end where his parents finally decide to let him play. It felt really weird that a movie that promotes family featured this heartless character.

Like I said though, I still liked the movie overall. I hope they finally start releasing movies in 4K BluRay when this comes out on disc because I really want to see it in HDR, the art was awesome. The role music played was great as well, the movie reminded me a lot of Chef, which was centered around food and featured characters passionate about food, but wasn't about food. Similarly Coco isn't a music and isn't really about music, but I love how music and show business and fame still played a role.

Hopefully Pixar gets back on track after this, this is the first movie from them I've seen in years that I enjoyed. Between the Cars sequels, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, and Brave I assumed their best years were behind them, but maybe they can pull a 90's Disney-esque return to glory.
Yeah she was horrible, but sometimes this stuff happens when you have a culture built around family, so i pass it as realistic interpretation i would have loved for them to touch on that message but then the villain wouldn't fit conveniently.but the chancla! oh bueno

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Going again with my family next weekend hopefully.

Can anyone tell me the name of the last song
In the One Year Later section where Miguel is playing for the family of both the living and dead?

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
We didn't get that behind the scenes. That's a bigger "why" than the motivation that led to put that long damned Olaf short.