• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the low odds of this ever being a DLC upgrade, I guess I'll have to see how I feel about the price tag when it finally releases here and whether the existence of a PS5 changes anything.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Well, with scramble announced, I guess I am getting this title since I never finished the original and it looks to be the version to get.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ohh. Neat!

*pretends that I didn't think of Star Platinum when I first saw it*

Man, no one remembers Fist of the North Star The Lost Paradise :(
tumblr_owmgre6D4Q1s05hv8o4_500.gif

tumblr_p4kjlg7gMD1r7sijxo1_500.gif

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
You're the only one getting heated in this thread conjuring some non-existent boogeyman to get mad at.

Take a break from the computer for a bit, champ.
Is it a nonexistent boogeyman, though? Six posts up from you is a series of photoshops covering up the character. Dozens of posts from people either unhappy with the design, modifying it to cover her up, or agreeing that she looks better modified thus. One can take to twitter and find artists getting several thousand retweets on their modified designs, most of which just make her the fourth female character with a skintight bodysuit. Kinda ironic.

Why are people so annoyed by a character showing a bit of skin? Its not new and it's not a problem. People seem to overreact so much on this site.
The problem (imo) isn't necessarily that a female character shows skin, or even that said female character is 15-16 - pretending that teenage girls the world over have never worn anything skimpy is kinda disingenuous - but that atlus really hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt given how oddly and creepily ann is treated for the titillation of the viewer. Multiple cutscenes where ryuji and/or morgana try to look down her shirt, or up her skirt, etc. Even some of the mementos filler conversations get weird about it...there's one where Ann complains about her outfit feeling tighter and wonders if her boobs have gotten bigger, another where she complains about how bumpy the ride is and morgana mutters happily about feeling a soft butt. There's nothing inherently wrong with Kasumi's design, but recent history suggests atlus may very well get weird about it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has yet tp play the base game and was planning to play on Switch (oops) should I just get vanilla P5 on PS4 now for $20?

It's that or wait til 2020 and pay $50 or keep holding my breath for a Switch port.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
As someone who has yet tp play the base game and was planning to play on Switch (oops) should I just get vanilla P5 on PS4 now for $20?

It's that or wait til 2020 and pay $50 or keep holding my breath for a Switch port.

Your mistake was expecting Atlus to do anything that makes sense or takes effort.

I'd wait at least until we got confirmation either way about whether a vanilla P5 save could transfer over social stats/compendium/etc.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your mistake was expecting Atlus to do anything that makes sense or takes effort.

I'd wait at least until we got confirmation either way about whether a vanilla P5 save could transfer over social stats/compendium/etc.
It just sucks that I waited this long to play vanilla P5 and now I feel like I gotta way another year or more or knowingly experience a way shittier version

Serenge

Jan 11, 2018
An artist is fallible.

And women showing skin inherently isnt something that is necessary to make their designs appealing as a design. Of course sexualization is apart of that.

Granted i'm not one to consult on such things, but its clear that critics of this design have a legitimate point to make about why its irritating that overt sexualization is the first choice for character designers in regards to female characters.

What makes you think that overt sexualization is the first choice for Atlus character designers in regards to female characters? I can't recall any other characters from the other Persona games displaying overt sexualization. We have a 3 to 1 ratio of sexualized character design in P5 alone. Futaba, Haru, and Makoto's outfits are solid.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

well if you believe Jason (and you really should), there has not been any plans for a switch port that he knows of

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

wait for Royal or Royal with pricedrop if you dislike paying $50. play another Atlus RPG until then if you have to.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post; Accumulated Infractions
wait for Royal or Royal with pricedrop if you dislike paying $50. play another Atlus RPG until then if you have to.
Is vanilla P5 that bad?

I also find it odd that one of the main complaints of P5 is that it's too long already but this is just inserting way more shit, no?

At any rate, I've played all the Atlus RPGs I've wanted to play that are available.

well if you believe Jason (and you really should), there has not been any plans for a switch port that he knows of
Well, I def believe him now but it's not like they can't decide to do a Switch port later (hell, as of today given the response to the announcements) without telephoning Jason to let him know first.

Like, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce P5R for Switch when we get closer to the PS4 release. Or hell, AFTER the PS4 release.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I love that they can't help but make their goofy mascots into pretty boys

Kasumi looks interesting. I'm curious how she'll fit into the story. Move over Makoto, the new canon girl has been instated

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is vanilla P5 that bad?

I also find it odd that one of the main complaints of P5 is that it's too long already but this is just inserting way more shit, no?

At any rate, I've played all the Atlus RPGs I've wanted to play that are available.
P5 had serious pacing problems imo.

So the problem wasn't necessarily its length but the fact that the game could become a slog to play through after a few dungeons.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame that there is no upgrade option for original owners of the game. Will wait until the new version drops bellow 30 euros

Oct 25, 2017
Is vanilla P5 that bad?

Being too long is less of an issue than feeling too long. I have as many hours in Sekiro as I had in P5 and I want to play many more. Pacing is the real issue.

If they do some editing, remove some completely redundant conversations, rework dungeons a bit (something already shown in the trailer) in a way that not only makes them more interesting, but overall shorter, you could end up with the same length when accounting for the new stuff, but a game that flows much better, and doesn't drag.

Like, the dungeons were so long that even my favorite ones had me feeling "just end already" in the final stretch. Some reworking could go a long way.

And this will fix that?
Maybe, we don't know for sure. But it's possible. Depends if they just want to add value for those who already love P5 as is or if they want to make a better overall game.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being too long is less of an issue than feeling too long. I have as many hours in Sekiro than I had in P5 and I want to play many more. Pacing is the real issue.

If they do some editing, remove some completely redundant conversations, rework dungeons a bit (something already shown in the trailer) in a way that not only makes them more interesting, but overall shorter, you could end up with the same length when accounting for the new stuff, but a game that flows much better, and doesn't drag.

Like, the dungeons were so long that even my favorite ones had me feeling "just end already" in the final stretch. Some reworking could go a long way.
Well, if nothing else you've convinced me that waiting is worth it.

I guess I got DQ XI S this fall, anyway, on top of a laundry list of awesome Switch RPG ports. I was just really hoping I could enjoy this game they way I enjoyed P4G - anywhere and anytime I wanted.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Is vanilla P5 that bad?

no, it's a great game and i thought the length was perfect. Royal is most probably the final/extended version. No reason to go back unless you know you'll be playing both anyway or want an extra set of trophies.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Is vanilla P5 that bad?

Well, I def believe him now but it's not like they can't decide to do a Switch port later (hell, as of today given the response to the announcements) without telephoning Jason to let him know first.

Like, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce P5R for Switch when we get closer to the PS4 release. Or hell, AFTER the PS4 release.
It's a ridiculously long game but it's also one of the highest rated jrpgs, isn't it? I enjoyed every minute of it myself and actually went through a second play through immediately after finishing my first and eventually a full third play through. Haven't done that with any other game since P4Golden.
At this point though it might just be better to wait for the royal seeing as how you've already waited this long.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Shame that there is no upgrade option for original owners of the game. Will wait until the new version drops bellow 30 euros

Normally I'd agree, but from what I can glean from the trailer, this is a pretty substantial change; it's not like the Final Fantasy XV Royal Pack where it added a few extra bits here and there, but looks like a bunch of entirely-new content and updates to old content.

It's to have a new character. Easier to market as "this totally new character joining your party!" instead of "oh that one confidant got upgraded". I also think it's pretty clear that Makoto ended up taking Hifumi's spot(would have preferred hifumi personally and queen would make more sense with her but w/e), so she may have taken some of Hifumi's personality and story when hifumi was demoted to just confidant, so there might not be a whole lot else written for hifumi to be a PT.

Oh, for sure, it seems like it was relatively early on that Hifumi was decided to be a Confidant instead of party member. I'm just sayin' that wanting cut content isn't always a bad thing, just the same as it isn't always good lol

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game does have pacing issues but I thought it was moreso the time spent with characters wasnt spaced out well enough. Haru needed to be introduced months earlier. That being said, by the end of P5, both times I played it, I couldve gone for like, 5 months more. The characters in these games are developed so well, that even at hour 200, I could have more. Felt the same way with P4G.

Super amped for this.

Oct 25, 2017
The game does have pacing issues but I thought it was moreso the time spent with characters wasnt spaced out well enough. Haru needed to be introduced months earlier. That being said, by the end of P5, both times I played it, I couldve gone for like, 5 months more. The characters in these games are developed so well, that even at hour 200, I could have more. Felt the same way with P4G.

Super amped for this.
I think it's safe to assume they'll find a way to not completely rush Haru's story. This is a problem even for people who don't mind the length or even the overall pacing. I don't think there's a single person who think they handled it well.

It's one thing when it comes to "should they make a rerelease for people who didn't enjoy the game, instead of its biggest fans?", but this is a problem for everyone.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not being DLC for the base game. Ouch. Don't want to drop another $60. Gonna have to see what else they add.

They need to make the 2nd to last dungeon shorter. Introduced Haru a lot sooner. I hardly cared about her arc or social link.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's safe to assume they'll find a way to not completely rush Haru's story. This is a problem even for people who don't mind the length or even the overall pacing. I don't think there's a single person who think they handled it well.

It's one thing when it comes to "should they make a rerelease for people who didn't enjoy the game, instead of its biggest fans?", but this is a problem for everyone.
Yeah stuff like that should be fixed. Axe that entire bit with Mona and give her more of an introduction and it'd be better.

I know a lot of people had issues with how they split story time and free time, but I hope that stays the same honestly. Its a nice way to plan out what to do and how long you have to mess around without a story beat happening. I do think they could add more night time activities and let you go out instead of Mona saying to go to bed. That way the player isnt locked into JUST story for weeks. Give the player more freedom and agency.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did people complain a lot with P4/G when Naoto was added to the party late in the game?

Don't remember if it was much earlier/later than Haru, but I don't feel like her case is that unique. Most of my issues with P5 aren't around pacing really.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Did people complain a lot with P4/G when Naoto was added to the party late in the game?

Don't remember if it was much earlier/later than Haru, but I don't feel like her case is that unique. Most of my issues with P5 aren't around pacing really.
Naoto is a character for most of the game even if she doesn't join you till late. Haru is a non entity.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Naoto is a character for most of the game even if she doesn't join you till late. Haru is a non entity.
Ah ok, yeah it has been a while. I suppose Naoto's character fits into the overall story a bit better than Haru's in general. They could introduce Haru earlier but I think may have to make more changes for her to take a more active role in what is going on, other than her just being a random person at school they bump into.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
If that the case then Joker wouldn't be in Smash. Sony have nothing to do with Atlus decisions regarding Persona.
Does having exclusivity rights to a game and it's add one prevent a character from the game being on another consoles game? I'm just talking specifically the game and add ons, not just characters.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when I imported P5 when it first came out in Japan, one of biggest gripes with the game was that Haru came way too late to the party. Hoping they find a way to have her join earlier somehow.

Hoping the game gets an awesome collector's edition.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when I imported P5 when it first came out in Japan, one of biggest gripes with the game was that Haru came way too late to the party. Hoping they find a way to have her join earlier somehow.

Hoping the game gets an awesome collector's edition.

The new character's combat footage shows HP high, like current endgame. Not 100% on this, but that implies that her arc as at the current endgame, and that the 7th (and possibly 6th, and maybe even 5th) arcs need to be heavily changed for that to make any sense, and for a presumable redemption arc. That gives them a lot of room to increase Haru's role and most of the entirely new content comes after she's joined anyway.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I thought for a brief moment in my head that maybe they would include all the costume and music DLC. But I wisened up fast. With the new playable character they are 100% going to repurpose the same DLC just adding an outfit for her.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I thought for a brief moment in my head that maybe they would include all the costume and music DLC. But I wisened up fast. With the new playable character they are 100% going to repurpose the same DLC just adding an outfit for her.
The trailer shows a clothing store. I figure they'll make most of the previous clothing DLC available in the base game this time.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
User Banned (1 day): Ignoring staff post
Damn I was about to play my original copy of Persona 5 too.
I wasn't

If this comes with all the DLC as well (i'm assuming) then i'll have to pick this one up instead.

The timing is too weird for this to not come to the switch after joker's release. I'm thinking that's going to be the next announcement.