• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't even start Steam, short of using Offline Mode. That's rare.
EDIT:
Aaand, it's there again. That was quick. You see people, this is the power of COMPETITION

trademarked by Epic

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
*tries to boot up Steam*

tenor.gif

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Now that I think of it, maybe Valve hasn't bothered fixing the small BPM problems because the client overhaul is imminent. It would also make sense because of the discontinuation of Windows XP and Vista support next week.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ooh, there's gonna be a client overhaul? Any idea what changes we can expect? Will it be a big change or small one? I worry about big changes...big changes mean teething troubles...

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
SO.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

The software I have installed is:

Firefox, discord, iTunes, VLC, MalwareBytes, 7zip, qBittorrent, Steam, Battle.net,

Games on my steam wishlist:

Age of Empires II HD // Company of Heroes // CSGO // Divinity Original Sin // Divinity 2 // Doom // Football Manager 2019 // Valve Complete Pack // Jurassic World Evolution // Parkitect // POE // POE II // Planet Coaster // Return of the Obra Dinn // Quantum Break // Civilisation VI // Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion // Total War: Empire, Shogun 2, Medieval 2, Warhammer, Rome 2 // Undertale // Dawn of War I, II, III // XCOM EU + EW // XCOM 2

Diablo III Battle Chest, Brood War Remastered, SCII Campaigns

--------

I'm pretty set right and not missing anything hugely important or great? The games I do own are on https://steamcommunity.com/id/vgJames + Overwatch

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ooh, there's gonna be a client overhaul? Any idea what changes we can expect? Will it be a big change or small one? I worry about big changes...big changes mean teething troubles...
It's been coming for a few years now, but Valve is discontinuing XP and Vista support at the start of 2019, so it's expected that some changes will start to at least trickle in shortly after.

I actually wonder about that, whether the new client will be a one big update or if they start by updating different parts like they did the chat.
Though now that I think about that, there aren't a lot of distinctly different user facing parts of the client really. So much of the functionality is in the web pages that maybe it will just be a one big update.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's highly likely that the chat update was meant to be rolled out alongside the rest of the client update, but was brought forward due to the rise of Discord.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Someone was looking for card games in Steam right?

This one looks interesting (found with the discovery queue)

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way MS acts towards mainland Europe is kinda the same way Valve acts towards Norway in terms of Valve made accessory and hardware.

Live in Norway and want Steam link, controller and the upcoming Knuckles (unless it's a HTC product)? HAH. Good luck finding it. If you do find it, tell me where, cause so far I have failed at finding anything Valve made products.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Another article on pc gamer where the exclusivity deals in the Epic and Discord stores are being praised and considered necessary to compete against Steam:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-gaming-highs-of-2018/

I don't understand why they keep saying this. As long as other storefronts won't have better features, prices and servie, people won't "switch" from Steam for anything but exclusives.

And the editor writes that this will lead to better prices and discounts, while we see the opposite happening: games exclusive to other storefronts than Steam are often more expensive and less discounted (unless they flop)

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The idea that competition will lead to cheaper games is by far the most hilarious to me.
You can already grab most AAA titles for 40€ before they even released on voidu and co, how much cheaper could it possibly even become.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
I just started thronebreaker yesterday so can't really say anything about it yet...other than holy shit this isn't the gwent I remember from TW3 lol.

I assume Divinity 2 means original sin 2 and it's a great game but I'm always going to be biased towards Hitman 2. I say go for that because it's a lot shorter than OS2 even if you replay each level two or three times. My first playthrough of OS2 was 100 hours and that was with quite a few bugged side quests and before whatever they added in the definitive edition.

Yeah I meant Original sin 2 . 100 hours would take me MONTHS to finish . I love RPGs but the time it takes me to finish them is kinda absurd. I heard a lot of praise for DOS 2 that's why I'm interested to try it 😊

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Is Yakuza 0 on PC semi broken or something? Hearing about bugs with the save system and other issues.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The way MS acts towards mainland Europe is kinda the same way Valve acts towards Norway in terms of Valve made accessory and hardware.

Live in Norway and want Steam link, controller and the upcoming Knuckles (unless it's a HTC product)? HAH. Good luck finding it. If you do find it, tell me where, cause so far I have failed at finding anything Valve made products.

You can easily find the Steam Controller here in Sweden, but our local currency isn't available on Steam. So this is for the best.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's highly likely that the chat update was meant to be rolled out alongside the rest of the client update, but was brought forward due to the rise of Discord.

Definitely.

Another article on pc gamer where the exclusivity deals in the Epic and Discord stores are being praised and considered necessary to compete against Steam:

I don't understand why they keep saying this.

I have some ideas but I don't want to get into conspiracy theory territory. Whatever online publications think about it, the important thing is that customers are against it.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Is Yakuza 0 on PC semi broken or something? Hearing about bugs with the save system and other issues.
Game only has save issues if you used the undocumented save anywhere feature in spots you weren't supposed to use it, and said feature was patched out anyway. Otherwise, check out the PCGW page Echo linked to for fixes.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
After much, much strife, I have discovered that I put the two RAM stick in the wrong slots of my motherboard, and that was seriously hampering my PC because of how much that gimped the RAM's speed.

Oh my goooooooood every thing runs SO SMOOTH.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC GAMING ERA | JANUARY RECOMMENDATIONS

As always please send me a PM.

2B0QzXu.png

Feudal Alloy - NeuralProxy

xM8izhq.png

NONE SO FAR

D7sTtCN.png

NONE SO FAR

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Man, I haven't bought a single 2018 game. I feel like I'm missing out but I probably shouldn't.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods is really quite amazing, I love the looks, the atmosphere and the writing so far. Only wish it detected my DS4 on Ubuntu. Oh well, keyboard controls are good enough actually.

nightwoods19f3j.gif

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I don't understand why they keep saying this. As long as other storefronts won't have better features, prices and servie, people won't "switch" from Steam for anything but exclusives.

Because you keep giving them hits and spreading their articles around lol. That's how media generally works hence the thousands of Trump articles saying the same thing. If you don't agree stop visiting and sharing content as it just fuels them to write similarly slanted articles instead of more balanced ones.

I do agree with their last point just in my own observations of friends who use other clients more than steam but started on Steam they initially switched for exclusive content. Other things help with retention but content is a strong initial pull.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
After much, much strife, I have discovered that I put the two RAM stick in the wrong slots of my motherboard, and that was seriously hampering my PC because of how much that gimped the RAM's speed.

Oh my goooooooood every thing runs SO SMOOTH.

I bought a new cpu cooler and case, and just found out that I did this as well. I'm excited to check the difference

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't every game have a quit game option in the menu?
Why do you only allow me to quit to the title screen making me sit through several logos and button presses to get to the quit game option? Why? WHY!?
I shouldn't need to alt/tab out of your game to avoid wasting time, is this really so hard?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you only allow me to quit to the title screen making me sit through several logos and button presses to get to the quit game option? Why? WHY!?
I shouldn't need to alt/tab out of your game to avoid wasting time, is this really so hard?

And why do some games just skip the menu and bring you directly ingame on the first startup instead you know let me see and change the settings to my preference? This one really bothers me.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Because console ports.

And why do some games just skip the menu and bring you directly ingame on the first startup instead you know let me see and change the settings to my preference? This one really bothers me.
Yeah, this one sucks.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

You have the answer in your post: Logos.
But for some games it is technical issues, like dumping the ram, etc.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Prime Time Bump

SO.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

The software I have installed is:

Firefox, discord, iTunes, VLC, MalwareBytes, 7zip, qBittorrent, Steam, Battle.net,

Games on my steam wishlist:

Age of Empires II HD // Company of Heroes // CSGO // Divinity Original Sin // Divinity 2 // Doom // Football Manager 2019 // Valve Complete Pack // Jurassic World Evolution // Parkitect // POE // POE II // Planet Coaster // Return of the Obra Dinn // Quantum Break // Civilisation VI // Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion // Total War: Empire, Shogun 2, Medieval 2, Warhammer, Rome 2 // Undertale // Dawn of War I, II, III // XCOM EU + EW // XCOM 2

Diablo III Battle Chest, Brood War Remastered, SCII Campaigns

--------

I'm pretty set right and not missing anything hugely important or great? The games I do own are on https://steamcommunity.com/id/vgJames + Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.