• Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
for those that played 999, I assume I can pick the spots on the flowchart where each story / ending divertsand carry on from there to get all the endings / true ending right? I mean, why else would the flowchart be there except to not make you restart the whole game everytime.

Yeah, it should be like that (I don't know for sure because the DS version didn't have it IIRC). But at least you have a fast forward option when replaying the game for all the text you've already read

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
bUbXtL7.jpg

so, played quite a few more hours of dishonored 2 and i'm right on the last mission (i think)

i'm um, a bit ambivalent about this game, kind of the same as the first one. they get a lot more creative with the level design in some of the more gimmicky levels and that's really cool, and i think the optional content and non-lethal solutions are more elaborate and interesting from the first game. exploration is also pretty rewarding, with a lot of hidden runes and charms that involve fun puzzle solving to access secret areas. emily's powers feel a bit hit or miss to me, i mostly use domino and her version of blink, as the demon walk might look cool but just takes too fucking long and doesn't seem to make you as sneaky as i'd hope either (nor there seem to be enough crawlspaces to hide in during demon walk mode). the clone is a little bit whatever (tho it is kinda cool that you can kill yourself lol), and the void thing costs so many runes i've only just unlocked it on this last mission.

what i don't like about this game, and it's kind of a general complaint about the stealth genre as a whole, is getting spotted. getting spotted is never fun in any stealth game and it usually feels like it's just a soft loss condition, as the game state turns into chaos and even if you manage to go back to hiding, it's likely that enemy routes are all wonky now and you have to wait a long while for them to reset, and even then important npcs might've gotten stuck in a "caution" state they can't get out of, etc. so you quickload. and you end up quickloading a lot in this game, because it's first person so you can't really help not noticing people behind you, but also because the vision and sound systems in this game are really unwieldy and you might randomly get spotted cos you walked instead of crawling and someone two floors below you heard you. i really wish this game had a light and darkness system like in thief, or some other indicator of your visibility, cos i've been playing it by ear the whole game and i'm still not sure

and honestly, getting caught in this game wouldn't be so bad if i wasn't playing non-lethal (well, mostly, i killed a bunch of nobles cos you know, fuck nobles). the game doesn't forbid you from going loud but it's certainly not encouraging you to. heart mom kept scolding me for the first 3 or so levels and emily talked like a psychopath in most of the dialogue and while i'm certainly not invested in this game's terrible story and characters, i didn't want to sacrifice whatever bit of interest existed, so i conceded and went non lethal. and non lethal suuuucks. that choking animation is still as lame as ever, hiding bodies is still as tedious as ever, and zapping people with a stun mine doesn't come close to watching them get shredded to pieces with one of the shreddy mines. i used to love to just kill someone by throwing their friend's dead body on their head, but that has gone too... so well, i savescum. a lot. which means that while i won't get spotted all the time cos i'm not THAT bad at the game, it's still often enough that it's bothersome, and i really wish this game didn't have that stupid morality system that actively punishes you for playing however you want. more rats/bloodflies is cool, emily turning into a psycho isn't. and honestly it was kind of hilarious in dishonored 1, so maybe i should've gone along with it, idk. it just feels like you're just playing the 'bad route'

and speaking of ethics, the other thing i really don't like is this game's take on rulership and how it relates to emily. basically the game is about emily coming to terms with the fact that ruling people involves doing actual fucking work. from what you gather as you play the game, emily kind of didn't do shit for all her time as an empress and, well, time to right that wrong. a lot of the bad guys that you kill are also ruler types that reign, as bad guys generally do, through terror and abuse, and uhh you kind of just replace them with good guys and it sort of magically fixes a ton of problems? and a lot of the game is like that, like there's literally a mission where you replace one guy for a good copy of himself that was like right fucking there and idk i find this kind of monarchic view of the world of having to get the good king to be kind of patronizing and lame. emily herself is kind of a major piece of shit and idk i feel like her arc is as fucking unrelatable as it gets and fuck you emily for being a useless parasite. like give me the game where fake roberspierre chops emily's useless head off.

also much like in the first game, the game kind of puts the lethal/non-lethal choice as a kind of good/bad choice that also feels kind of warped. for example you get the choice of killing one guy, or melting their brain until they're a slobbing blob, and uhh idk i sort of felt i was doing the more humane thing when i knocked him out and threw him off a second floor. in the game emily was like eat shit you scum, but deep down inside i felt like i was doing the right thing so idk, i guess me and arkane have different views on brain melting.

in any case, the game's still pretty entertaining, these are good levels with cool powers and cool immersive sim stuff (like letting you kill all your friends in the last mission cos the not kill your friends limitation only makes sense until you need them no more), that i wish wasn't as moralizing and just let me freely play my fucking way

+500 zkypoints to whoever reads this, i'm very bad at writing

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that'd be my one big gripe with the series. It's "play your way" but "if you play this way, you're probably a psycho and need to seek help."

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Steam right now? It's awfully slow.
I'm trying to buy something but the transaction doesn't get through. Neither Paypal nor credit card works.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Because you keep giving them hits and spreading their articles around lol. That's how media generally works hence the thousands of Trump articles saying the same thing. If you don't agree stop visiting and sharing content as it just fuels them to write similarly slanted articles instead of more balanced ones.

Good point. Will do so.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
The proper sidequests are decent. It's the randomly-generated ones (black diamond with a grey icon) that you generally want to avoid; they're never anything more than exactly what you've described.
Kassandra is worth your time. Also I never had any issues with being under leveled for the story quests and I didn't particularly go out of my way to grind or anything.
How are the DLCs?

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean EU3 or EU4? EU3 is greatly outclassed from a player perspective by EU4. Stellaris is more of a mix of 4x with grand strategy and Victoria 3 will never happen. Victoria 2 is a grand strategy with much more complexity due to the economic market it tries to simmulate.

Don't you ever say that again. Ever.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
bUbXtL7.jpg

so, played quite a few more hours of dishonored 2 and i'm right on the last mission (i think)

i'm um, a bit ambivalent about this game, kind of the same as the first one. they get a lot more creative with the level design in some of the more gimmicky levels and that's really cool, and i think the optional content and non-lethal solutions are more elaborate and interesting from the first game. exploration is also pretty rewarding, with a lot of hidden runes and charms that involve fun puzzle solving to access secret areas. emily's powers feel a bit hit or miss to me, i mostly use domino and her version of blink, as the demon walk might look cool but just takes too fucking long and doesn't seem to make you as sneaky as i'd hope either (nor there seem to be enough crawlspaces to hide in during demon walk mode). the clone is a little bit whatever (tho it is kinda cool that you can kill yourself lol), and the void thing costs so many runes i've only just unlocked it on this last mission.

what i don't like about this game, and it's kind of a general complaint about the stealth genre as a whole, is getting spotted. getting spotted is never fun in any stealth game and it usually feels like it's just a soft loss condition, as the game state turns into chaos and even if you manage to go back to hiding, it's likely that enemy routes are all wonky now and you have to wait a long while for them to reset, and even then important npcs might've gotten stuck in a "caution" state they can't get out of, etc. so you quickload. and you end up quickloading a lot in this game, because it's first person so you can't really help not noticing people behind you, but also because the vision and sound systems in this game are really unwieldy and you might randomly get spotted cos you walked instead of crawling and someone two floors below you heard you. i really wish this game had a light and darkness system like in thief, or some other indicator of your visibility, cos i've been playing it by ear the whole game and i'm still not sure

and honestly, getting caught in this game wouldn't be so bad if i wasn't playing non-lethal (well, mostly, i killed a bunch of nobles cos you know, fuck nobles). the game doesn't forbid you from going loud but it's certainly not encouraging you to. heart mom kept scolding me for the first 3 or so levels and emily talked like a psychopath in most of the dialogue and while i'm certainly not invested in this game's terrible story and characters, i didn't want to sacrifice whatever bit of interest existed, so i conceded and went non lethal. and non lethal suuuucks. that choking animation is still as lame as ever, hiding bodies is still as tedious as ever, and zapping people with a stun mine doesn't come close to watching them get shredded to pieces with one of the shreddy mines. i used to love to just kill someone by throwing their friend's dead body on their head, but that has gone too... so well, i savescum. a lot. which means that while i won't get spotted all the time cos i'm not THAT bad at the game, it's still often enough that it's bothersome, and i really wish this game didn't have that stupid morality system that actively punishes you for playing however you want. more rats/bloodflies is cool, emily turning into a psycho isn't. and honestly it was kind of hilarious in dishonored 1, so maybe i should've gone along with it, idk. it just feels like you're just playing the 'bad route'

and speaking of ethics, the other thing i really don't like is this game's take on rulership and how it relates to emily. basically the game is about emily coming to terms with the fact that ruling people involves doing actual fucking work. from what you gather as you play the game, emily kind of didn't do shit for all her time as an empress and, well, time to right that wrong. a lot of the bad guys that you kill are also ruler types that reign, as bad guys generally do, through terror and abuse, and uhh you kind of just replace them with good guys and it sort of magically fixes a ton of problems? and a lot of the game is like that, like there's literally a mission where you replace one guy for a good copy of himself that was like right fucking there and idk i find this kind of monarchic view of the world of having to get the good king to be kind of patronizing and lame. emily herself is kind of a major piece of shit and idk i feel like her arc is as fucking unrelatable as it gets and fuck you emily for being a useless parasite. like give me the game where fake roberspierre chops emily's useless head off.

also much like in the first game, the game kind of puts the lethal/non-lethal choice as a kind of good/bad choice that also feels kind of warped. for example you get the choice of killing one guy, or melting their brain until they're a slobbing blob, and uhh idk i sort of felt i was doing the more humane thing when i knocked him out and threw him off a second floor. in the game emily was like eat shit you scum, but deep down inside i felt like i was doing the right thing so idk, i guess me and arkane have different views on brain melting.

in any case, the game's still pretty entertaining, these are good levels with cool powers and cool immersive sim stuff (like letting you kill all your friends in the last mission cos the not kill your friends limitation only makes sense until you need them no more), that i wish wasn't as moralizing and just let me freely play my fucking way

I just finished it today. I did a ghost / mercy (not being spotted, not killing anything) and really loved it. I played the first one and only got a few levels in before dropping it. I started the second with a psycho / kill everything Emily run-through and dropped it on the second level (first past tutorial).

Not sure what clicked this time but I kind of gave up worrying about quick-loading as being "failure" and just took save-scumming as the way it's supposed to be played. I can't possibly think anyone could actually play Dishonored without save-scumming and actually never get seen. With that mindset it becomes a game of micro-puzzles in each encounter, with macro-puzzles being the levels themselves. The level designs are the real star of the show here.

Oh, and I did a Corvo runthrough too, so that might have made it a bit more fun. I only ever used blink + slow time though.

The non-lethal eliminations are the best part of the game for me. Always bittersweet - and you're right, non-lethal doesn't mean "happiest"... just most fitting or ironic for the most part.

Jumping into Death of the Outsider now to see what that's like. Might also jump back into the original too and see if I enjoy it more now... I remember reading a lot about the non-lethal kills as being more interesting in the first game. I like a bit of karmic justice.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to buy this bundle but it has one game I already own and I can buy it only as a gift (I hate when devs do bundles this way), is there any way around it? Can I redeem it if I buy that gift, or will I be locked from doing it still?

This site has a good list of best PC games of 2018.

• Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  • Hitman 2
  • Yakuza 0
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • Banner Saga III
  • The Council
  • Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance
  • Atom RPG
ignoring Falcom? nope, not a good list by any stretch of imagination !

Last edited:

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it considered cheating to mod the head bob out of STALKER on a first play through? Because that is some impressive head bob.
Nah. Just get rid of it with either the console, or there's a text file where you can change the value. The headbob in Shadow of Chernobyl, at least - I haven't played the others - is ridiculous and vomit inducing. It doesn't add anything, just get rid.

One of these days I'll get back to Shadow of Chernobyl..

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Wow they have a lot that I am interested in. You would just cross reference steam DB to see if it is a ROW key or RL key right?

There's no exact science. ie RIPD has a RU key entry in steamdb, but zakazaka is giving ROW keys. For games that have no RU entry, they'll definitely be ROW keys. They also have a "Region Free" checkbox in their search, but it doesn't seem to include all their region free games.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
I got this game I never heard about that sounds interesting in my DQ today

anybody plays it? I'm a bit concerned with roguelike nature of it, don't really like those lately.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you ever say that again. Ever.
No more Victoria, only Bismark now.

I wanted to buy this bundle but it has one game I already own and I can buy it only as a gift (I hate when devs do bundles this way), is there any way around it? Can I redeem it if I buy that gift, or will I be locked from doing it still?

ignoring Falcom? nope, not a good list by any stretch of imagination !

Can you link the bundle? That type sounds weird.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why people care so much about Dishonored "morality system". If you go about killing, it creates a lot of bodies, those cause more rats / giant mosquitoes to be around, those make the level generally scarier and on top of that your enemies are more on edge. So it's a pretty obvious and logical difference between High Chaos and Low Chaos.

I guess there is the question of killing a few targets is good or bad, but honestly, as long as you only kill your mission targets, you will always be on low chaos, and get the "good" ending. You need to kill like a fifth of all NPCs to get there, and at that point you can't defend yourself with "oh, this was all totally morally justified", nope, you like being a murderous monster (which is fine), and the game world reacts to it.

If it is a moral system (which I would say, it isn't) then it's one that is solely concerned with the consequences of your actions, not your intent. That your character, in a moment of killing someone, says "die scum", when that person is responsible in possibly killing their daughter/ father, then, yeah, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Of course, this whole discussion feels kinda moot: as every immersive Sim, it's about problem solving and exploration, and Dishonored 2 is amazing at that.

zkylon
I find it hard not to laugh at your complaints. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably an asshole for this. If you have fun playing lethal, then just do. You don't need to listen to the heart thingy, and it's questionable how much that thing is truly her mother, and how much it is just the Outsider messing with Emily/Corvo. As for Emily sounding like a pyscho, well, who can blame her? These people turned her father into stone, and killed tons of people. If you then see yourself forced to kill, wouldn't you try to express your emotions a bit? She also never goes comic book evil, it's just "fuck you for this, you deserved this", which I'd argue is probably true.

As for your other complaint: Dude, I ALWAYS save-scumm in these games. It's just part of how they work: You experiment, you fail, you try something else. That's like the main game loop for me. If I like a consequence (sometimes failures are interesting as well), I move on. I can see how someone might find this frustrating, but to me it's really not the same as reloading checkpoints: 1) I get to decide what I want to do again 2) I get to decide where that savepoint is 3) and I get to explore various outcomes. But, again, I can see how if you feel yourself "forced" to play non-lethally, (which you really aren't, that's just in you head), it could be frustrating.

I agree that the main plot is a bit weak, and it doesn't convince me that Emily really learned a lesson here. Except that it's good to have magical powers so you can deal with any usurpers. Also, it never explores how her mother might have been a pretty terrible person. Sure, it shows those flashbacks, but then it just moves on :"Well that was fun, see how complex our villain is, well, okay, but now it's killing/non-killing time! Chop chop"

Still, all things considered Dishonored 2 is still among the best immersive sim in terms of exploration to me. I loved all missions, and it was a blast to play through them.
Shame Arcane won't be making games quite like this anymore.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
Can you link the bundle? That type sounds weird.

it is not a new thing, there were more such bundles, it's when devs don't do it finish your collection way

EXJfXoX.jpg

I just can't remember is there any way around this, it seems like it isn't, but also I think I never bought such bundle before... or I forgot.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
it is not a new thing, there were more such bundles, it's when devs don't do it finish your collection way

EXJfXoX.jpg

I just can't remember is there any way around this, it seems like it isn't, but also I think I never bought such bundle before... or I forgot.

Can't you just delete that one game you already own from your steam library?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

EXJfXoX.jpg

That is weird as hell for me.

Normally they have bundles they either have a rolling discount and make it so that you only pay for the games you dont have, or all games. The second case makes it sometimes that you actually pay more for the bundle than by buying individually.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
bUbXtL7.jpg

This perfectly encapsulates my issue with this series and action stealth games in general. For Dishonored, the weak non-lethal options and the terrible chaos system makes the game pigeon hole itself into a very unfun playstyle but the opposite is not all that great either. A high chaos run is just too damn powerful and the enemies in this game are so damn useless when you use all your tools at your disposal. Despite adding witches and clockwork knights in the game they are so effortlessly dispatched that I wonder what they were added for. They neither force you to come up with strategies that require you to make use of your toolset or are powerful enough that you would try and stealth your way past them and avoid confrontation. Also for a game with so much verticality the ai fucking sucks at being aware of the player who is hiding up on top of a 10 foot high bookshelf.

Nothing really comes together for me with this series that makes me feel good about playing this game. It is not sandboxy enough to want to full around with your tools, its not hard enough that you feel accomplished and satisfied if you manage to sneak past people and at the end its all just meh....

Idk if you've played it yet but you should give Invisible inc a try if you want a stealth game that makes sneaking not only satisfying but when you get spotted it makes the going back into stealth equally as rewarding and fun. Not only is it the best tactics game I've ever played but it might also be the best stealth game too.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
So since Persona 5R is supposedly console exclusiv again (not that i was surprised by that) its probably time to finally give it a shot on the rpcs3 emulator.
Has anyone played it here on PC? Would love to know how good it runs.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So since Persona 5R is supposedly console exclusiv again (not that i was surprised by that) its probably time to finally give it a shot on the rpcs3 emulator.
Has anyone played it here on PC? Would love to know how good it runs.

Someone on the discord channel was playing it yesterday. Looked alright.

I'd buy it again if we got to kick Morgana out the party. I'd buy two copies if we got to murder the little cunt.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone get bugged in day 9? Some couldn't open the box of day 9 and get its gifts but all otehr days are fine. Steam app or any browser didn't help.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yikes, couldn't even take my first castle in TW: Shogun 2 tutorial campaign despite outnumbering the enemy 2 to 1 (game pretended I did anyway, lol). Now I remember why I've always avoided RTS games, way too many units to keep track of! Will keep at it though.

Nov 1, 2017
This perfectly encapsulates my issue with this series and action stealth games in general. For Dishonored, the weak non-lethal options and the terrible chaos system makes the game pigeon hole itself into a very unfun playstyle but the opposite is not all that great either. A high chaos run is just too damn powerful and the enemies in this game are so damn useless when you use all your tools at your disposal. Despite adding witches and clockwork knights in the game they are so effortlessly dispatched that I wonder what they were added for. They neither force you to come up with strategies that require you to make use of your toolset or are powerful enough that you would try and stealth your way past them and avoid confrontation. Also for a game with so much verticality the ai fucking sucks at being aware of the player who is hiding up on top of a 10 foot high bookshelf.

Nothing really comes together for me with this series that makes me feel good about playing this game. It is not sandboxy enough to want to full around with your tools, its not hard enough that you feel accomplished and satisfied if you manage to sneak past people and at the end its all just meh....

Idk if you've played it yet but you should give Invisible inc a try if you want a stealth game that makes sneaking not only satisfying but when you get spotted it makes the going back into stealth equally as rewarding and fun. Not only is it the best tactics game I've ever played but it might also be the best stealth game too.

I feel pretty similar. I don't usually think of stealth games (MGS, Dishonored, etc.) in terms of lethal/non-lethal. I just play it how I want to play it which is usually a combination of both. I found being able to see through walls infinitely and then teleporting all over the place made it so easy I got bored with it. I never got a hang of the sword combat and that wasn't how I wanted to play. I never felt like I ran out of sleep darts/crossbow darts to stealth kill. Toss in the sneaking up kills and I never ran out of ammo/health/mana but was never really engaged with the game it felt like.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why, but Im suddenly getting "Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company."

What to do?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It seems steam is having problems with processing purchases, so you'd have to wait and hope Valve fixes it before end of sale.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I have no idea why, but Im suddenly getting "Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company."

What to do?
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, the problem got fixed by itself eventually (though there was a gap of 2 days between the failed attempted purchase and a successful one, I didn't try between those 2 days).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
To get Katamari Damacy Reroll for USD 13 or hold off...

EDIT: oh wait he has been making vids, YT was sillyly not showing them to me on top @_@

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah I just saw them. Usuaully when I go to a channel yt will show the latest videos in release order (latest first) it didn't for his channel @_@
It's something that the channel owners themselves customize, the channel owner can order the list of sections as they want (such as having a playlist at the top instead of the recent uploads list), it's just that most channels prefer to have the recent uploads first, I guess.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
GOG with some good freebies these past few months. First Shadow Warrior 2 and now SOMA.

Need to get around installing and playing both some time. SOMA has always looked spooky as hell tho so I don't think I will last more than an hour with that. Probably not gonna bother with it but nice to have it nonetheless.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel pretty similar. I don't usually think of stealth games (MGS, Dishonored, etc.) in terms of lethal/non-lethal. I just play it how I want to play it which is usually a combination of both. I found being able to see through walls infinitely and then teleporting all over the place made it so easy I got bored with it. I never got a hang of the sword combat and that wasn't how I wanted to play. I never felt like I ran out of sleep darts/crossbow darts to stealth kill. Toss in the sneaking up kills and I never ran out of ammo/health/mana but was never really engaged with the game it felt like.
The resource in the game was not handled well. You really had to be super wasteful to even get it below 50% and even then the game gave you tons of opportunities to replenish/restock yourself. You were practically a demigod in the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems Prey on PC isn't that perfect...

Weapon switching is horrible.

Yes you can use the number keys for instant switch, but there are two main problems:

1. Weapon wheel (up/down) can't be reconfigured. Set to open the weapon wheel.
2. The "switch to last weapon" key is temperamental as hell. You can't press it or nothing happens, you have to tap it very quickly. And if you're not quick enough your weapon won't change. And the difference between tap and press seems to be very, very small. So, often, I tap but hold it slightly too long and my weapon doesn't switch, it's making combat very clunky.

Any ideas?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Pixel hunting is going to be an issue in I Have No Mouth and I must Scream. I got stuck because I apparently didn't pick up a shovel from a trashcan but it was not visible at all.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that'd be my one big gripe with the series. It's "play your way" but "if you play this way, you're probably a psycho and need to seek help."
most games get this wrong, yeah where despite what it might tell you there's a way the game was meant to be played, and then ways the game 'allows' you to play

I just finished it today. I did a ghost / mercy (not being spotted, not killing anything) and really loved it. I played the first one and only got a few levels in before dropping it. I started the second with a psycho / kill everything Emily run-through and dropped it on the second level (first past tutorial).

Not sure what clicked this time but I kind of gave up worrying about quick-loading as being "failure" and just took save-scumming as the way it's supposed to be played. I can't possibly think anyone could actually play Dishonored without save-scumming and actually never get seen. With that mindset it becomes a game of micro-puzzles in each encounter, with macro-puzzles being the levels themselves. The level designs are the real star of the show here.

Oh, and I did a Corvo runthrough too, so that might have made it a bit more fun. I only ever used blink + slow time though.

The non-lethal eliminations are the best part of the game for me. Always bittersweet - and you're right, non-lethal doesn't mean "happiest"... just most fitting or ironic for the most part.

Jumping into Death of the Outsider now to see what that's like. Might also jump back into the original too and see if I enjoy it more now... I remember reading a lot about the non-lethal kills as being more interesting in the first game. I like a bit of karmic justice.
i don't like the non-lethal thing cos the game kind of makes those sound like the more ethical choices which idk, they all sound pretty fucked up to me

and i agree with you on the save scumming thing, that's how you're supposed to play the game, but that's kind of why i'm a bit tired of stealth games overall, having to reload all the time is just no fun for me

I don't really understand why people care so much about Dishonored "morality system". If you go about killing, it creates a lot of bodies, those cause more rats / giant mosquitoes to be around, those make the level generally scarier and on top of that your enemies are more on edge. So it's a pretty obvious and logical difference between High Chaos and Low Chaos.

I guess there is the question of killing a few targets is good or bad, but honestly, as long as you only kill your mission targets, you will always be on low chaos, and get the "good" ending. You need to kill like a fifth of all NPCs to get there, and at that point you can't defend yourself with "oh, this was all totally morally justified", nope, you like being a murderous monster (which is fine), and the game world reacts to it.

If it is a moral system (which I would say, it isn't) then it's one that is solely concerned with the consequences of your actions, not your intent. That your character, in a moment of killing someone, says "die scum", when that person is responsible in possibly killing their daughter/ father, then, yeah, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Of course, this whole discussion feels kinda moot: as every immersive Sim, it's about problem solving and exploration, and Dishonored 2 is amazing at that.
it's not moot, it's a part of the game that's bad

it's lame because the reaction to your killing is binary (you killed one too many people, emily is a psyho now, there's no middle ground) and really basic, as in it only changes a few lines in dialogue and idk more bloodflies?? i played dishonored 1 killing everyone and i swear i never felt like there were too many fucking rats, and i'm playing through dishonored 2 now and fuck if there's a ton of fucking bloodflies

and evil emily is so poorly written i just HAD TO stop killing people. in disho1 it was funny cos she was 8 but in disho2 she's such a boring angsty character that giving her any more rope to be angsty is just way too much

and it's even worse because all the non lethal ways of solving the levels are way more interesting. the crown killer level just hangs on you doing the non-lethal way cos if you just kill
her without knowing she's the crown killer the game doesn't even 'react', it just tells you straight up you killed the crown killer lol

morality systems are fun when they're nuanced, not when they're binary. if they're binary they feel like another soft fail state, like you're playing the game wrong

i just didn't care in disho1 cos thankfully corvo didn't talk

zkylon
I find it hard not to laugh at your complaints. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably an asshole for this. If you have fun playing lethal, then just do. You don't need to listen to the heart thingy, and it's questionable how much that thing is truly her mother, and how much it is just the Outsider messing with Emily/Corvo. As for Emily sounding like a pyscho, well, who can blame her? These people turned her father into stone, and killed tons of people. If you then see yourself forced to kill, wouldn't you try to express your emotions a bit? She also never goes comic book evil, it's just "fuck you for this, you deserved this", which I'd argue is probably true.

As for your other complaint: Dude, I ALWAYS save-scumm in these games. It's just part of how they work: You experiment, you fail, you try something else. That's like the main game loop for me. If I like a consequence (sometimes failures are interesting as well), I move on. I can see how someone might find this frustrating, but to me it's really not the same as reloading checkpoints: 1) I get to decide what I want to do again 2) I get to decide where that savepoint is 3) and I get to explore various outcomes. But, again, I can see how if you feel yourself "forced" to play non-lethally, (which you really aren't, that's just in you head), it could be frustrating.

I agree that the main plot is a bit weak, and it doesn't convince me that Emily really learned a lesson here. Except that it's good to have magical powers so you can deal with any usurpers. Also, it never explores how her mother might have been a pretty terrible person. Sure, it shows those flashbacks, but then it just moves on :"Well that was fun, see how complex our villain is, well, okay, but now it's killing/non-killing time! Chop chop"

Still, all things considered Dishonored 2 is still among the best immersive sim in terms of exploration to me. I loved all missions, and it was a blast to play through them.
Shame Arcane won't be making games quite like this anymore.
i just find it really boring to have to play as the poor princess that didn't realize that poor people were poor. fuck you emily, you're somehow even less likeable than in the first game lol. no, emily, you're not a good person, your looking the other way (for unexplained reasons, i guess "teens", right?) makes you complicit and you're just as bad as these people. fuck you and off with your head! the story really is trash, now sokolov is like a cute little grandpa when he was kidnapping poor people and experimenting on them in the first game but oh well he invented those annoying arc of lights i like to throw bottles at i guess

anyways, i think i may have put it somewhere in my post but save scumming games like these just fucking tired me out, i think devs it's straight up bad game design at this point. add mechanics to your game that make hiding and being chased fun. i like that in the batman games for example, it's never too hard to go into hiding but there's often a bit of real consequence as the bad guys will break down some of the gargoyles you hang from, etc. it's not perfect but it's much better than this. and actually, i used to praise dishonored for this reason, in disho1 i'd love to just throw a body into a room and have the guards chase me around, but that was only fun cos i could kill them

if this game wasn't actively worse for being a murderer then maybe it'd be the same, although emily's powers aren't as murder-friendly as corvo's i feel

again i'm still positive in this game for the same reasons you mention, the game commits to immersive sim-ness pretty well and streamlined out what didn't belong, so it's still mostly fun, it just has a shitty morality system that sabotages the rest

yeah i'm a huge fan of invisible inc., that game is fantastic and even if i have a soft spot for thief 1, i'd agree with it being the best stealth game ever made too.

i really like the new hitman games too, cos they're less self serious so getting caught often leads to hilarious chase sequences that are amusing on themselves

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Momodora 3 on Hard is...hard :V
I think it's a solid game, but enemies in the very final stage are pretty tough.
EDIT: Well I watched a speedrun and found where to find some secret items that ought to help me clear the final stage easier @_@
EDIT2: Ah shit I also caused an NPC to die by not talking to her, I think I'll just restart it :X

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, couldn't even take my first castle in TW: Shogun 2 tutorial campaign despite outnumbering the enemy 2 to 1 (game pretended I did anyway, lol). Now I remember why I've always avoided RTS games, way too many units to keep track of! Will keep at it though.
Flanking and not being flanked yourself make a huge difference in the real-time battles. (Flanking is basically any time a unit is 2v1 in melee.) If you focus on that early on, I think that will help you build up the fundamentals of how battles work. It plays into the morale/routing system.

Also, group up units by type or purpose and use them to easily form up your army before the first clash happens--keep archers in front to get a few hits in, then rush melee units into the fray and going from there. Position cavalry to rush in a bit later, avoiding spearmen (unless flanking them), to make devastating charges. And keep your general out of battle if you can avoid it, because losing them--however slight the chance--can be a horrific loss both in-battle and later in the campaign map.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems Prey on PC isn't that perfect...

Weapon switching is horrible.

Yes you can use the number keys for instant switch, but there are two main problems:

1. Weapon wheel (up/down) can't be reconfigured. Set to open the weapon wheel.
2. The "switch to last weapon" key is temperamental as hell. You can't press it or nothing happens, you have to tap it very quickly. And if you're not quick enough your weapon won't change. And the difference between tap and press seems to be very, very small. So, often, I tap but hold it slightly too long and my weapon doesn't switch, it's making combat very clunky.

Any ideas?

I've been playing the hell out of this recently and haven't been bothered by weapon switching.

Using the mouse wheel pulls up the radial menu and pauses the game so I can quick-switch weapons at my leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.